YOUR Favourate Civ

France.
-Their trait combo is a builder's dream. Less coruption + quicker workers = lots of money + high productivity.
-Their UU is excellent. In itself a great defender; it also allows you to entirely skip Nationalism. It also get a bonus point for its cool appearance.
-As Son of Dido pointed out, starting with Alphabet and Masonry is also very useful. My easiest win ever was with Carthage, starting next to a herd of elephants...:woohoo:

Rome, China, Iroquois, Celts, Maya, Ottomans, Persia...

This would be my order. All those are civs I like a lot! I love Rome, both in game and in reality.

adog said:
^^^Defensive units are pretty useless in this game. The mounted warrior is probably the best UU in the game.
Normally that would be entirely true, except that I've been using Draken's marvellous post
How to win on Deity Builder-style, step-by-step. So requirements are just a bit different there. But on levels below this or for other strats, sure, the mounted warrior is superb.

What I meant with my post is that with agri trait and Alphabet up front, it's really quite difficult for me to find another civ anywhere near as successful for Draken's strat. Sumerians are quite good if you can manage to trade for Alphabet before the AIs start meeting each other. Whereas Iroquois have it all from the get go.

archimandrite said:
Normally that would be entirely true, except that I've been using Draken's marvellous post
How to win on Deity Builder-style, step-by-step. So requirements are just a bit different there. But on levels below this or for other strats, sure, the mounted warrior is superb.

What I meant with my post is that with agri trait and Alphabet up front, it's really quite difficult for me to find another civ anywhere near as successful for Draken's strat. Sumerians are quite good if you can manage to trade for Alphabet before the AIs start meeting each other. Whereas Iroquois have it all from the get go.
How about the Dutch? They've got agri, alphabet, and a cheap defensive UU (the Swiss Merc). True, seafaring's not a great trait except on arch maps, but at least it gives you alphabet, and you'll probably have a few relatively uncorrupted coastal cities on a continents map.

My favorite civ is:
Spoiler :
Random

luceafarul said:
France.
-Their trait combo is a builder's dream. Less coruption + quicker workers = lots of money + high productivity.
-Their UU is excellent. In itself a great defender; it also allows you to entirely skip Nationalism. It also get a bonus point for its cool appearance.
-As Son of Dido pointed out, starting with Alphabet and Masonry is also very useful. My easiest win ever was with Carthage, starting next to a herd of elephants...:woohoo:

Still loving France I see... :D

Commercial and industrious is a very strong combination indeed. I'm not too fond of their UU - the defensive bombard is good though.

thetrooper said:
Still loving France I see... :D
Oh yes. If only they could have made Milla the leaderhead it would be perfect...:)

Commercial and industrious is a very strong combination indeed. I'm not too fond of their UU - the defensive bombard is good though.
It is a matter of taste, I suppose.
Like you preferring Korea to Greece. I too like the Korean UU, but I have difficulties getting to the point where I can build it reasonably unscatched. With the mighty hoplite, on the other hand...:mischief:

Norton II said:
How about the Dutch? They've got agri, alphabet, and a cheap defensive UU (the Swiss Merc). True, seafaring's not a great trait except on arch maps, but at least it gives you alphabet, and you'll probably have a few relatively uncorrupted coastal cities on a continents map.
Thanks. :) Yes, I'd be hoping then for one of those "U" or "C" shaped pangeas with the Dutch reasonably central and facing the "inner sea" That should be quite fun and with a bit of seafaring later on after all.

qummik said:
Persia. Faster workers and free techs. The UU comes just in right time, when there is no more room for expanding.
Agreed. I love a quick start, dominating traits and a very useful Unique Unit.

I prefer Japanese, military and religious (no anarchy!). The samurai is a well balanced unit, but a bit unrealistic (the samurai moving at the same speed of a knight?).

France.

A combination of the musketeer (I really really liked the vanilla musketeer) and the dominance of industrious in vanilla. Also, they were the civ, along with Greece, that I used for attempts at new levels back in the day.

Romans, two reasons: first, if 'culturally linked start' they always begin by river and often by sea. Second: Legionaries, its easy to amass several of these units then unleash their 3 Attack power and 3 Defense power on your enemies in the Ancient Era

And mongols! I almost forgeted mongols! Long live the Keshik!

Austria and Germany.

Why? Cause they are Austria and Germany, and the Militaristic trait is one of the main reasons why i choice a civ.

DragonBird said:
Romans, two reasons: first, if 'culturally linked start' they always begin by river and often by sea. Second: Legionaries, its easy to amass several of these units then unleash their 3 Attack power and 3 Defense power on your enemies in the Ancient Era
Umm culturally linked starts don't automatically put you by the sea or on a river, they just put you near civs that would be close to you in real life- if it worked, that is(it just puts you next to the native american civs every time)

Guys i know this is the wrong thread but how do i take screenshots.
no use starting a seperate thread for this.

Little Corporal said:
Umm culturally linked starts don't automatically put you by the sea or on a river, they just put you near civs that would be close to you in real life- if it worked, that is(it just puts you next to the native american civs every time)

Ok, but I always start near Greece... and on a river. Its always on a river.

Alexander great said:
Guys i know this is the wrong thread but how do i take screenshots.
no use starting a seperate thread for this.
You're right, it's the wrong thread. That's what the "Quick Answers/Newbie Questions" thread is for. ;)

For screenshots, just press the "Print Scrn" button on your keyboard (usually just to the right of the "F-" Buttons). Then open an image editing program (Photoshop, MS-Paint, whatever) and hit "Paste". Save the file as a jpeg, upload it (or attach it to your post), and voila!

well, to get back on topic, my choice is Americans of course

lol once an american, always an American

Best Civ by far - Portugal

Others that arent bad but cant even dream to reach Portugal´s might:
Maya,Sumeria,Persia,Carthage,Celts,China,Iroquois.

Fun to play with - Babylon: Bowmen 2(2)/2 UU 20 shield (10 cheaper then javelin similar unit), these babies just excel when used in stacks, an archer/spearman all in one, who wants more?

Worst civ? Spain - cause they´re spanish..

Top Bottom