Your "Go-To" Civs

Vanilla: Arabia, Ottomans and Persia
DLC: Mongolians!
G&K: Huns
BNW: Shoshone and Morocco

note: I've never tried a North American civs but Pathfinders looks badass and I want to try them first. also we (Turco-Mongol people) very close to Native American people :D

It speaks a lot to the design of the game that everyone is giving different answers.

True. I've had my own little eras where I got stuck on Civs :

France : Love social policies and early expansion. UU's came online when I usually use them. France je t'aime!

England : Naval UU. Extra spy. Longbows. All things I love. Too bad the AI stinks with them. Wish I'd get more random rolls with them.

Netherlands : Others said it best. Solved my happy and gold problems and gave me a naval UU with supply. Hurrah!

Polynesia : An exercise in futility. Just couldn't turn them into the Civ I wanted them to be.

BNW Indonesia looks like it will replace Polynesia as the Civ I love to fail with. In terms of overall appeal....it must be Indonesia.

bcaiko: Interesting. I also love Japanese history and culture, and that's why I don't like the Civ as presented in the game. ;) While the Sengoku Zidai is, perhaps, the most popularized period of Japanese history, and the classical (Heian, Nara) periods would be China or Korea copies, I think I would have preferred if the Tokugawa period had been used. You would have a VERY different Civ if so, I should think.

Not every Civ can be every thing. (A case could be made for every one of the Vanilla civs to be restructured with a different victory type in mind.) They chose to make Japan militaristic focused in this game, and given that they're represented by Oda - coming out of the warring states period - that makes sense. Oda represents a time when Samurai were really in their heyday as warriors, and not as bureaucrats and artisans.

Yeah, Americans tend to think of the warlike Japanese because of Imperial Japan's rise to power in the early 20th century, and that's not all Japan accomplished. Oda's intro screen even speaks to Japan's "rich culture of arts and letters" and it's "mighty factories." But that doesn't mean that a view of Japan as militaristic at several points in its history is incorrect, either.

Plus, Samurai swarms are fun to play. :D

Every civ can be everything (well, not Venice, but most still true for most civs). Nothing prevents one from playing a cultural tall Japan, warmongering Sweden or a Mongolian turtle. However, the UA may make it significantly easier to focus on one strategy while not directly excluding others. As for the UA, it can't really take into account everything of a country's history: otherwise Germany would have a myriad of abilities related not only to warfare, but to culture, trade and puppet states as well. They have to cherry pick one stereotype that fits the game well and stick with it.

I didn't play vanilla a lot, but I remember using Babylon almost all the time.

In G&K, I switched mostly between Babylon and the Maya. I played mostly with the Iroquois, though.

I expect to favor either Poland or Assyria in BNW.

Vanilla: America
GnK: America
DLC: Inca
BnW: Looking forward to Portugal!

(bet no one saw America coming!)

bcaiko: See, I disagree. Samurai were actually in their heyday around the time of the Genpei Wars, when they were still mounted archers first and foremost in the Keshik mold. I don't mind Japan being militaristic; I really object to the succumbing of the entire Civ to a more-or-less inaccurate depiction of Samurai.

There's also the fact that tying bushido to Oda Nobunaga is rather ludicrous, as the entire concept of bushido is an outgrowth of trying to maintain the samurai caste's warrior roots in the Tokugawa period. Samurai during the Sengoku Zidai were utter pragmatists, which is accentuated by all of the backstabbing that went on (the most prominent is that of Tokugawa Ieyasu that led to the Battle of Sekigahara).

Again, to summarize, my issue is not that Japan is depicted as militaristic. My issue is that it's a very poor depiction of the military aspects of Japan.

VainoValkea: Then rename it. ;) Bushido never existed in Japan during a period when Japan was at war (at least with another Civilization) except in a neo-Bushido formulation during WWII. It really should be called something like 'Banzai Charge'. :p Again, though, the major issue is that Bushido + Oda Nobunaga + Samurai are all based on 'pop culture history' and not actual history. While far from the only Civ to suffer from this, in this case 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing', and it severely turns me off from playing them. :p

The UA is supposed to reflect the civilization, not necessarily the leader. That's why Napoleon has the Ancien Régime UA, Bismarck the Furor Teutonicus UA and so on.

Vanilla: Songhai, Russia, France
DLC: Inca
G&K: Iroquois
BNW: Truly excited for all except Venice, probably Morocco for my first game

China!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because I'm Chinese.
Beat the crap out of Theodora and Hiawatha today. Alexander's next.

Sweden, America, Greece and England is the ones ive played the most i think.

When I play single player or multiplayer(only with firends) as a rule everyone must roll random. The beauty of Civ, in every incafrnation, is the variety on both the civs and the world you are given.

I have always played Rome it is my go to civilization, since I started playing Civilization. I guess because I like the rich history of Rome and it's one of my favorite CIVs in life.

Vanilla: Rome/ America
G&K: Rome
BNW: I will be trying other CIVs since I have only played against them. :ar15:

For me, the go to civ = the most interesting civ. Mine are:
Vanilla: Persia
GnK: Sweden
BNW: Dunno, probably Indonesia, possibly Venice, though I don't like Austria so I'll see how similar they are when I play them.

Top Bottom