Your preferred game speed

Your preferred game speed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In Civ 5 I felt normal game speed was the best balanced. But in Civ 6 I feel too rushed with normal game speed. Epic game speed suits my needs perfectly. Unless doing some testing or going for some weird achievement in the future, I'll stick with epic. My current game is going just how I like it. I even have the continent to myself which is a dream come true. Of course I'm researching Nuclear fission in 1845, but that's besides the point. I feel I have more time to use the technologies I research with this game speed.

What are your thoughts on game speed?

My first 2 games I tried marathon, which I always played on in CiV. However, after trying epic I made the change. To me it is soo much better and still long enough to be really fun. My only wish is to have a speed between epic (50% longer) and Marathon (200% longer). A good 100% or one about that would be perfect.

Up until Civ5 I had always played marathon, but in 5 Marathon had way too much downtime and never felt balanced, so I made the switch to Epic.

Have yet to try Marathon in 6. Tech seems a little fast in Epic and might be a problem as I get better at district placement, so might try Marathon eventually.

I prefer normal speed. However, I found that quick speed can lead to more intense games (both here and also in BE:RT). The AI really seems to behave different. Maybe the game was tested too much on quick speed and less on slower speeds?

Up until Civ5 I had always played marathon, but in 5 Marathon had way too much downtime and never felt balanced, so I made the switch to Epic.

Have yet to try Marathon in 6. Tech seems a little fast in Epic and might be a problem as I get better at district placement, so might try Marathon eventually.

Similar for me.
My first game in Civ VI was Standard, but I guess I will return to Epic from the next games on

Civ 6 need much more balance for gamespeed. Slower speed, easier the game.
-Marathon is like easier mode, because its like we have triple range of movement and actions. The same as bonus and benefits, all get faster and accumulation will be bigger through time, AI takes much more times to field and reinforce their units, so most of time they cant threaten human units exploitations.
-Epic is fine, but still, abit easier.
-Standard is the best option here. The only standard problem is it not going to be fit on huge map, so standard speed on standard map is best balanced setting now.
-I dont care much about quick and online speed. Too fast speed only make AI harder to be beaten. You start your units from ancient era, take about 15 turns to enemy cities, when you reach AI city, they are already at medieval era, so your archer almost cant do anything to beat their knights.

I always played V on Quick, but I tried my first game on the defaults, Standard Prince and it took me over a week. Standard is just to slow for me as I spend a lot of time each turn min/maxing and 'strategizing'. My second game, Quick/King feels so much better. My fear is that the new movement restrictions are going to make Quick much harder than Standard as you will have so many less unit actions per 'era'.

Epic for me, on Huge maps. I like some space, and I like things to take a while before they're obsolete.

The problem is the inherant imbalances for me. I play standard just because thats what the game was probably built around, but on standard the techs are to fast and the production is to slow. I tired on game on I think marathon, went to build my first scout which was going to take 20 turns and then immediatly went back to main menu. Its like I just want the teching to be marathon speed, but the production to stay or be closer to stadard or whatever one speed slowers is.

Marathon all the way, but unfortunately with the slender tech tree it goes way too fast for my liking...

Marathon in the earlier games. Since 5 exclusively epic, also in 6. If I use standard by mistake, it feels way to fast.

Marathon all the way, but unfortunately with the slender tech tree it goes way too fast for my liking...

Yaaaaaassss. Its like you can only have an archer war, or an industrial+ war because of the way the techs and key important buildings line up and how fast you blow through the tech tree. I wonder how removing eureka's entirely, or trimming down some of the beelining would affect the tech rate? With the current system on standard speed I hit the "industrial" era around turn 100 to 120, and by "industrial" I mean I have researched whatever the tech is that gives you factorys(100 hours played still dont know name sue me), and literally nothing else in any of like the previous 2 eras.

I feel like regardless of speed the tech tree just goes too damn fast, like they should double all the costs across the board or something. I feel like I just blow past the eras.

Normal speed for standard map size; Epic for large map size.

Marathon, huge map, full civs. I prefer investing more closely in my cities.

I am presuming that there will be mods that balances out marathon pace. There were several in V. So I'll be doing that.

I started playing in Epic, like I did in Civ V, but it felt too fast, due to the new Eureka system.

Right now I'm experimenting with Marathon which seems more balanced for my taste.

I've always loved the "epic" feel of marathon :) I want to fully immerse myself in my game for as long as possible. Were there a slower speed again I'd probably take it! I like being able to fight not just a full war with the same units, but a second as well (I know this is probably currently possible in VI at standard speed given how few upgrades there are in each class; but I'm hoping that will fill out in expansions, as the gaps are too large for my liking).
I'm overall loving the direction VI is going in.

Why would the ai perform better at quick?

The slower the game speed, the more time there is for unit movement relative to any given amount of production, tech progress etc. This matters since combat is generally the area where a human player has the largest advantage over the AI, and having more time to fight with the same troops provides a greater opportunity to leverage that advantage.

Top Bottom