Hi, guys!

Here's the 2nd episode on the Civ 1 YouTube series I'm making. It's on Brazilian Portuguese, but I'm open to comments on English, of course! Thank you for watching!

you can even translate the diplomacy screen if you change the text in the "King.txt" file.
Then it'd be more portuguese :)

I will address the elephant in the room.

if you want people to see your stream you shoudl make it english speaking to reach a broader audience.
i find it strange to post in english in a english speaking forum something redirecting to a non-english video that you have control over which language is used.

there will be an incredibly small share of people in this forum who will be able to understand portuguese.

Thanks for addressing this issue, tuga2112

Yes, I was well aware that could be only a handful of people on this forum that would understand Portuguese (there are a few of them, like myself). I was/am hoping to reach that audience at some point. The thing is: English not being my native language, I feel kind of awkward speaking it to the camera. Over the last streaming there was an English speaker expectator, which made me feel more confortable with my poor pronunciation (it's always easier when you're directly speaking to a English speaker, though). Of course, I've announced the game on some small Portuguese speaking Civ communities (they're hardly active apart from people trying to find player partners, anyway...).

Actually the project will involve more than Civ 1, since I intend to cover the entire series at some point (I'm doing a research about the series, so it helps my work). Until now, there were only 2 offical Portuguese versions of the game aimed at Brazilian market: Civ 2 and now Civ 6 (I've read something about a mod translated Civ 5, but haven't cared to check it out yet). There are quite some hardcore Civ fans here in Brazil, but the language barrier still keeps it very unknow for most gamers - not to mention non gamers. I've been feeling this as I present my research development on academic congresses and meetings. Hopefully Civ 6 might change that, and hopefully people might find useful to get to know more about the series from the videos.

I might be terribly mistake, of course, since this is a sideway personal project. But I also get the impression that there is already some good English speaking channels that are covering old Civ games (correct me if I'm wrong). And since I'm not such a great player myself, I don't know if I'd have much to add to that.

On the other hand, after concluding this first Civ 1 series, I'm willing to try on some "historical experiments" through the games (I'm a historian research and professor, by the way). I'd like to see how much the game would let me follow ethical guidelines for peaceful playing or happyness utopia creation. Maybe those subjects mught atract a broader audience.

Any more thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Though I understand what @tuga2112 means, more power to you for doing it in your native language. There's approximately 220 million people that have Portugese as their native language, making it the 6th most common language in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

Besides, a lot of Portugese/Brazilian people use English on this forum but might be interested in your Youtube movies.

Good luck with the rest of your videos. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your support, @SWY !

Yes, as I said above, I'm hoping to draw attention to this audience that might not feel confortable hearing English spoken explanation about the Civ series. After all, it's a lot easier to read a foreign language than to hear it. It's a small niche, but I'm doing it mostly to attract players and potential players (and praise the Word of Civ! :bowdown:) than to make a number 1 hit YT channel.

Anyway, I welcome comments on English too, so if anyone have any ideas/suggestions, please feel free to toss them out.

EDIT:

By the way, the most spoken languages link you posted was very spiring for my little project. Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip! I might as well do that if I have the time to do it.
it's not a lot of text in the diplomacy text, it can be done really quickly.

I will address the elephant in the room.

if you want people to see your stream you shoudl make it english speaking to reach a broader audience.
i find it strange to post in english in a english speaking forum something redirecting to a non-english video that you have control over which language is used.

there will be an incredibly small share of people in this forum who will be able to understand portuguese.
by the look of it, it seems his target audience is Portuguese speakers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom