• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

zed or zee?

How do you pronounce the last letter in the English alphabet?

• Total voters
I like how every time this question is asked on a forum, there's a large group of Americans confused that it's not universally "zee"

Y'all need to watch moar Stargate: Atlantis.

I've decided all the letters deserve a three letter word to use when saying the alphabet. It's simple, it's fun.

Ant
Bee
Cat
Dog
Ear
Fat
Gun (Or God, take your pick :) )
Hun
Ion
Jam
Kit
Law
Moo
Not
Ode
Pee
Qat (yes, it is a word)
Rat
Sun
Tee
Ute
Vim
Wag
Xis (Thanks, Bill!)
Yaw
Zit (screw zed)

"xis" is a three letter word, VR, the plural of xi, the 14th letter of the greek alphabet.

...then again would it be cheating if it is an actual letter name of an alphabet?

Possibly, but I'm not really concerned about rules in this :) Qat is some God in some mythology in the south pacific, so I used proper names too!

Zee is how i pronounce it. Zed sounds to much like it's own word in my opinion.

Zee is how i pronounce it. Zed sounds to much like it's own word in my opinion.
Zed sounds more like some person's name.

Z = Zee.

Why you ask?

B = Bee

B = Beta

Z = ???

Z = Zeta

consistency is important, we can all agree. Therefore, ZEE! :smug:

plus, zed sounds like a word or a name as has been pointed out.

Possibly, but I'm not really concerned about rules in this :) Qat is some God in some mythology in the south pacific, so I used proper names too!

Qat is not:

Spoiler :

?????????????????????????????????????

edit: Didn't realize it was so large, spoilered.

Zed because zee is too similar to the pronunciation of the letter C.

how do you keep B and C and D and E and G and V and T and P seperate?

I think your reason is nonsense.

This is one of the great things about English. It embraces diversity in pronunciation, and we have no futile Language Academy like the French or Spanish one to try and make pronouncements on how it should be spoken. Both ways are right!
French also have a wide diversity of vocabulary and pronunciation. The language is spoken by few, but on all continents. I have no clue but I guess it's even more true for Spanish (considering the number of speakers in America).

As for the French Academy, it's not at all the language police English speakers assume it to be. It just gives advices, but contrary to US popular belief, it doesn't make the rules.

For instance, the French Academy proposed a vocabulary simplification of the language in 1990. It hasn't been followen by the masses... and have been quickly forgotten. Apparently, people were more traditionalist than the Academy was.

French also have a wide diversity of vocabulary and pronunciation. The language is spoken by few, but on all continents. I have no clue but I guess it's even more true for Spanish (considering the number of speakers in America).

Spoken by few?? It's the 10th most spoken language in the world! :)

how do you keep B and C and D and E and G and V and T and P seperate?

I think your reason is nonsense.

*Shrug* Think what you will. None of those letters sound anywhere remotely near each other as much as Z and C do to me if you choose to pronounce Z as zee.

*Shrug* Think what you will. None of those letters sound anywhere remotely near each other as much as Z and C do to me if you choose to pronounce Z as zee.

That's because Danish doesn't have the /z/ sound, and as a result you probably pronounce both as "see". You should learn how to pronounce the sound in order to improve your English and allow other English speakers to understand you better.

I say zee. Except when I'm speaking spanish, then it's zeta (and i griega for y)

Talk about doing a lot of edits :lol:

That's because Danish doesn't have the /z/ sound, and as a result you probably pronounce both as "see". You should learn how to pronounce the sound in order to improve your English and allow other English speakers to understand you better.

Maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact that I prefer zed to make the distinction much clearer.

Maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact that I prefer zed to make the distinction much clearer.

The distinction is very clear to the people who speak the language natively.

Top Bottom