New DLC: Polynesia

I'd be pretty disappointed if Polynesia uses the generic Asian art style for their cities.

That reeks of laziness on the part of Firaxis.

Some new music would be nice as well. There is some great Pacific island music out there.

On another note, I am also disappointed to see Atolls appear 3 hexes away from Tundra in an archipelego game I started up to check out the new patch.
Considering Atolls need essentially tropical conditions for their formation (they need coral reefs) that isn't realistic at all. Another little thing that was half arsed. :rolleyes:

The graphics for atolls are pretty sweet though. I'll give them credit for that.

EDIT: Yep. Lazy Firaxis can't bother to whip up some nice Polynesian city graphics. Leave it to the modders I guess. *Sigh*

Personally, I'm fine with atolls going wherever; They provide production to aquatic tiles, and there's not a lot of that available. As there is no tundra equivalent (unless you work in volcanoes breaching the surface... But then you get ing about them popping up whereever and "not behaving realistically" :lol:), I'm fine with use atolls.

They have a gameplay purpose.

As for the city art... Sure. Go right ahead and invest the sheer hours required to create an entirely new artstyle for a single civilization. Please, be my guest. I've done that for Civ4; Suffice to say, I have no intention of doing it again. :lol: Were it a group of civilizations, sure, but for a single civ? Never.

Having Atolls appear wherever does not bother me in the least. To me, that is a realism vs. gameplay decision. Atolls randomly dispersed makes better game play and balance, and only in the tropics makes better realism.

Any news on what the Moai improvement does or what is the special power of the Maori?

Thanks

No one knows about the Moai; People have suggested +1 hammer to neighboring ocean tiles, and quite a few other things.

In the same way, noone knows about the Maori. Not even what unit it replaces.

Having Atolls appear wherever does not bother me in the least. To me, that is a realism vs. gameplay decision. Atolls randomly dispersed makes better game play and balance, and only in the tropics makes better realism.

Exactly. :goodjob:

Personally, I'm fine with atolls going wherever; They provide production to aquatic tiles, and there's not a lot of that available. As there is no tundra equivalent (unless you work in volcanoes breaching the surface... But then you get ing about them popping up whereever and "not behaving realistically" :lol:), I'm fine with use atolls.

They have a gameplay purpose.

As for the city art... Sure. Go right ahead and invest the sheer hours required to create an entirely new artstyle for a single civilization. Please, be my guest. I've done that for Civ4; Suffice to say, I have no intention of doing it again. :lol: Were it a group of civilizations, sure, but for a single civ? Never.

I can understand atolls maybe beefing up island heavy maps but at least try to keep them more concentrated in the mid latitudes. Having them pop up near tundra looks awful. Perhaps they need a new terrain feature for arctic regions. I do love atolls though and hope there are more new terrain features in the future.

As far as your modding work goes I am appreciative. I however, am no modder.
I don't think it's too much to ask of Firaxis to have a Polynesian city style though.

In the official announcement they say Polynesia will be released on 3 March, Friday.
3 March is Thursday so do we have to expect the DLC rleased today or tomorrow?

I can understand atolls maybe beefing up island heavy maps but at least try to keep them more concentrated in the mid latitudes. Having them pop up near tundra looks awful. Perhaps they need a new terrain feature for arctic regions. I do love atolls though and hope there are more new terrain features in the future.

As far as your modding work goes I am appreciative. I however, am no modder.
I don't think it's too much to ask of Firaxis to have a Polynesian city style though.

Doing so would further unbalance the map towards mid-lattitudes and screw any who start in the higher latitudes. Dispersing them more evenly helps avoid that, somewhat (the terrain itself still plays a part, naturally). More terrain features would be excellent, yes, but it all depends on how many artists they have working on the game atm.

And again, artstyles are a huge amount of art. If they only have a handful of artists (or even just one), I would vastly prefer they spend their time on UU/UB/UI/Leader art, as opposed to a city artstyle that will only be used by a single civilization (as even if you include other civs from Oceania, they won't use it; Australia? European. Indonesia? Asian.)

wow. they spend all this time animating Kamehameha, but they can't be bothered ti think up a new art style?

Obviously that's where the art budget for the DLC went. :lol:

Doing so would further unbalance the map towards mid-lattitudes and screw any who start in the higher latitudes. Dispersing them more evenly helps avoid that, somewhat (the terrain itself still plays a part, naturally). More terrain features would be excellent, yes, but it all depends on how many artists they have working on the game atm.

And again, artstyles are a huge amount of art. If they only have a handful of artists (or even just one), I would vastly prefer they spend their time on UU/UB/UI/Leader art, as opposed to a city artstyle that will only be used by a single civilization (as even if you include other civs from Oceania, they won't use it; Australia? European. Indonesia? Asian.)

Meh...

Perhaps they could come up with something for Arctic regions to compensate. Like seals for instance. They could add a little production to arctic cities and function more or less like atolls do.

You don't have to totally throw reality out the window for supposed game balance.

Anyway, I don't expect any new terrain features (nor would I blame them for not adding more as there are more important fish to fry) but if they are actually going to do an expansion, that would be nice to see. I have a feeling it's just going to be DLCs from now on though.

EDIT: I would love to see an Inuit Civ. Add seals in for them. ^^

I feel like DLC's are replacing the traditional expansion pack. You're just going to see patches and small DLC's adding up into what would have been bulk expansion releases. They might eventually lump the DLC's into discounted bundle packs but that's about as far as it will likely go.

Meh...

Perhaps they could come up with something for Arctic regions to compensate. Like seals for instance. They could add a little production to arctic cities and function more or less like atolls do.

You don't have to totally throw reality out the window for supposed game balance.

Anyway, I don't expect any new terrain features (nor would I blame them for not adding more as there are more important fish to fry) but if they are actually going to do an expansion, that would be nice to see. I have a feeling it's just going to be DLCs from now on though.

EDIT: I would love to see an Inuit Civ. Add seals in for them. ^^

they could bring whales to the arctic regions more, instead of adding a new resource

@JamesCivFan & Louis XXIV... To clarify I wasn't talking about the civ specific peace & war music. It will be there no doubt, every civ has them. What I meant is nothing else, just the peace & war music pieces. I was talking about the art style / culture region sets of music. We have American (native), Europe, Middle-Eastern and Asian. And I doubt they would create a whole new art style & music set just for ONE civ.

Exactly what I'm saying... As I said a whole new art and music set just for 1 civ is never gonna happen (unless from a dedicated modder). India and Egypt would be the first in line for that in my book anyway. Them not making India have their own unique style & music set should give you a clear idea that they won't be making new music sets and art styles. I mean come on, India. I cringe every time I see Indian cities in civs, both IV and V...

What's this about atolls? Is this a patch addition? Link to info? I don't see it in the notes in the patch thread.

@JamesCivFan & Louis XXIV... To clarify I wasn't talking about the civ specific peace & war music. It will be there no doubt, every civ has them. What I meant is nothing else, just the peace & war music pieces. I was talking about the art style / culture region sets of music. We have American (native), Europe, Middle-Eastern and Asian. And I doubt they would create a whole new art style & music set just for ONE civ.

Exactly what I'm saying... As I said a whole new art and music set just for 1 civ is never gonna happen (unless from a dedicated modder). India and Egypt would be the first in line for that in my book anyway. Them not making India have their own unique style & music set should give you a clear idea that they won't be making new music sets and art styles. I mean come on, India. I cringe every time I see Indian cities in civs, both IV and V...

except Firaxis has an entire trained art team. even if they've been spending the last year or so working on AI...

still, it shouldn't be that much trouble for them, especially since units aren't affected, only cities

Top Bottom