New DLC: Polynesia

So, someone who lives in 2K's timezone, what time is it?

I am in central time according to pc it is 7:08 PM.

It's 3:46 there. They use Pacific time (CA based, I think). Of course, the question is if you use Firaxis time (Baltimore based - EST) instead?

Typically we go by Eastern Standard Time here. I am central time so am always thinking one hour behind. Pacific time is 3 hours behind EST. It is 2:11 PM in New Zealand, interesting.

I go by EST, I just don't think 2K does.

that's the beauty of it! nobody expected polynesia!
Now, *That* comment i like.

The marketing trick is really amazing from a "Designer" standpoint and also for gameplay elements. But both subjects have been extensively discussed already.
In fact, it's another proof that Firaxis wants to hit the casual gamers hard enough that popularity will spread like bush fires.
Opinions against or not.

I go by EST, I just don't think 2K does.

Certainly not the guy from New Zealand! :lol: Hey mate I'll put another shrimp on the barbie for ya! :lol:

Now, *That* comment i like.

The marketing trick is really amazing from a "Designer" standpoint and also for gameplay elements. But both subjects have been extensively discussed already.
In fact, it's another proof that Firaxis wants to hit the casual gamers hard enough that popularity will spread like bush fires.
Opinions against or not.

The ingenius thing is providing the situation for extreme curiosity. Between each patch and DLC is a genuine silence from 2k. Then out pops out a post about an upcoming patch, and everyone, including myself is in an egomaniacal uproar. The marketing ploy of giving civvers something a little bit at a time, seems to be working. I would say a decent majority of civvers don't mind spending a few bucks on these dlcs. However, there are some that will show us in an entire thread, about how evil this scheme really is, and how they are out to get us. I could care less, bring on tomorrow. Polynesia awaits!

Certainly not the guy from New Zealand! :lol: Hey mate I'll put another shrimp on the barbie for ya! :lol:

The ingenius thing is providing the situation for extreme curiosity. Between each patch and DLC is a genuine silence from 2k. Then out pops out a post about an upcoming patch, and everyone, including myself is in an egomaniacal uproar. The marketing ploy of giving civvers something a little bit at a time, seems to be working. I would say a decent majority of civvers don't mind spending a few bucks on these dlcs. However, there are some that will show us in an entire thread, about how evil this scheme really is, and how they are out to get us. I could care less, bring on tomorrow. Polynesia awaits!

Brother we have been playing this game since we were kids. You need to learn to govern your passions, they will be your undoing! :lol:

No, you're thinking of Australia. We're the little island group Southeast of them, you know, the more awesome cousin? ;)

No, you're thinking of Australia. We're the little island group Southeast of them, you know, the more awesome cousin? ;)

Yes I know, but don't you guys sound about the same. Anyway sorry about the Paul Hogan joke. Here it is from 1984 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_CPrCS8gs Come and say goodday! BTW this is just good humor. I have the utmost respect for ya.

Brother we have been playing this game since we were kids. You need to learn to govern your passions, they will be your undoing! :lol:

I know little brother, and don't call me any more trying to pretend to be Australian. :lol: I am not fooled and I don't think you'd fool them guys from New Zealand!

I'm wondering which art style treatment Polynesia is going to get; the closest I can think of would be American or maybe Asian but a new one called Pacific would be ideal.

I'm wondering which art style treatment Polynesia is going to get; the closest I can think of would be American or maybe Asian but a new one called Pacific would be ideal.

To get back on topic, that is a very good question. I hope they create a new and interesting Pacific art style.

Tasmania, no way -- there are Devilish Rodants in hideout and Kangoos are running like hell through hoops.

Attachments

• taz.jpg
    taz.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 57

One of the scenario screenies (At least I assume it's the scenario) Had them with Asian.

another thing is that zig-zag background on the current main menu behing 'Polynesia DLC available' and behind the scenario's SP tree, would anyone want that as a UI Theme? I had an idea of a UI theme for each DLC, choosable from the Options window

Which matters more to a Civilization game, a civ that's historically significant or a civ that's enjoyable to play?

I'll take the enjoyable to play civ any day of the week. I don't care if the next two civs are the Klingons and Romulans, and long as they are interesting to play.

This, you gotta see to believe it!

Oh wow.

Polynesia was probably added to the game because they are really unique. There's nothing even comparable to that part of the world at that point in time, ever.

Good Post. Polynesia is "an interesting choice," but it's DLC, it isn't part of an expansion.

:mischief: Don't mention....

Link to video.

Wish they'd hurry up and pump the DLC out

Tasmania, no way -- there are Devilish Rodants in hideout and Kangoos are running like hell through hoops.

I loved that character (in the pic) when I was a kid. Sadly I only ever saw a few episodes. :(

To get back on topic, that is a very good question. I hope they create a new and interesting Pacific art style.

Wouldn't they have to create a whole set of new music then? I mean there is a set of music to every art style...

Wouldn't they have to create a whole set of new music then? I mean there is a set of music to every art style...

I am a musician and trust me, it's not that hard to create some musical pieces for a DLC in a video game. We've seen whole professional albums being written in just 3 weeks (Eg. Dream Theater's Train of Thought).

Anyway. We will just wait and see when it finally comes out. :goodjob:

It's not about if they can do it. I'm sure they can. (I'm a musician myself. ;)) But if they find it's worth putting effort into. It's a small DLC, one civ after all...

Considering the fact that it wouldn't take more than 3 days (and I'm being generous now) to create music for a DLC, if I were them, I would do it.

Well, they'll certainly have a Polynesian theme music and maybe a few others. There have been music for each Civ. I'd expect them to use Asian for everything else, it's not worth the effort of creating a whole art section for what will essentially only be represented by one Civ (if they did, they might as well separate the Iroquois from the Aztecs and create one for Songhai as well).

JamesCivFan, I think you vastly underestimate the time, effort, and money that goes into this creative process. If you want them to be lazy and do a poor job, they can create enough music in three days, but I think the production value for music has been good so far. The original soundtrack was probably developed and recorded over several months.

Anyway, hope it comes out soon.

Top Bottom