• Maori warrior

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Sipahi

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
What is the unique unit in your opinion that gives the less bonus, for its era?

Plz note I didn't put the barbarian galley for the ottomans or the brute for the germans because these units come as part of a unique ability.

I've just read them here: http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_units.html
and came up with a list of 10 that seemed dubious to me.

Their bonuses can be simply weak or they might have a bonus that is inappropriate for the usage of the unit it replaces. They might replace a unit we don't build often anyways or they might be used only for a short period of time. Finally, the B-17 was criticized for coming too late.

If you don't agree and think there is a choice that should be in there, plz tell why. thx.

I've never had a decent fight with a Slinger (It's common for me to crush them) and every time they've range attack-ed me it only caused 1-2 damage.

There was a very good discussion in Polycast Episode 114 on this topic for those interested.

I think India's War Elephant deserves an honourable mention in this thread, alongside the War Chariot. I've found them positively useless in every game in which I've had them.

There was a very good discussion in Polycast Episode 114 on this topic for those interested.

I think India's War Elephant deserves an honourable mention in this thread, alongside the War Chariot. I've found them positively useless in every game in which I've had them.

yeah but they still attack twice as good (not many unique units do that, if any) + higher ranged strength. they are slower and longer to produce though.

i dunno i liked my game with india last time and those elephants were good to defeat 1 city state (just to gain enough xp) and then i upgraded them with 4 promos and went on to be absolutely pacific. surely not the best unique unit i agree

It's got to do with what they replace, as well. The Chariot Archer is pretty useless, so whilst War Elephants and War Chariots might look good in comparison, that doesn't really make them good overall, so much as not-quite-as-bad. If I'm warring before I get catapults, then most of my damage will be done my melee units anyway.

War Chariot because I play with balanced Strategic Resources option so Horses are common.

Why is Camel Archer even on this poll? I mean, your poll so you can do whatever you want, but who would ever vote that over something like, say Zero, which is absent? :confused:

I suppose some could argue that since they deprive you of front-line knights, they make you more dependent on iron for front-line units (or getting gunpowder), but I - and, it seems, many others - would rank them as one of the top UUs in the game. Especially since a few patches back, when horse units were nerfed, meaning you'll almost always need iron/gunpowder anyways. They're not quite up there with Keshiks or Immortals, but there are few UUs that I'd take over them.

Anyways, right now I'm inclined to vote Sipahi. Giving a niche unit an extra niche ability (pillage bonus) does not a wise investment make. Especially since pillaging is pretty much unnecessary in my experience, since combat is so laughably easy you don't need to wear down their economy gradually like that, and you'll just be hurting yourself if your new puppets start with no improved tiles to work.

Camel Archer,because it has a limited amount of moving and it's easily killed by spearman if it tries to make an attack.

Zero for me, weak bombard and i rarely use it to soak up antiair.

has to be a later unit as it's rarely decisive

since its not on the list i vote b17

dont understand why ppl vote war chariots over slingers. slingers are the only unit which is worse then their original, their special ability is only good for their upgraded versions.

war chariots instead are an upgraded chariot which are faster, come early cose they dont cost horses and u can instead forget to tech archery for defence.

and if u play with start bias on you normally get some flat terrain as egypt so u can use their movement.

I've never had a decent fight with a Slinger (It's common for me to crush them) and every time they've range attack-ed me it only caused 1-2 damage.

their damage is good, but since incas try to live near hills, their flee option is no real option. so you always need frontline support to protect them from melee (but normally you should do this with all range units)..

i regard slingers more as an special unit for the case you move down into flat terrain as inca. but if there any horses u can forget this tactic too.

donno why everyone's hating on the chariot archers. they seem to do well for my games. expecially if you can get logistics. 3-4chariots with logistics used to be able to defend agianst any unit until rifleman :D but that was pre-patch that just got released.

the minuteman is the worst. it does nothing to improve the unit imho

i don't get the legion. who cares about building roads with them and they can only build a fort once you're into the medieval era and by this time, legions are outdated. plus they take 12.5% more time to produce but only are 18% stronger.

I found Slingers to be quite useful. They're excellent in clearing barbarians alone; a normal archer would need some protection or good positioning (which is not always viable).
And the promotion carries over to Crossbowman, and I have used them in combat to lure enemies in a trap: 2 tiles from a defending longswordsman, with no unit behind it, and catapults behind the empty row. Longswordsman attacks, Slinger goes back 1 place, and the catapults + Crossbowman destroy the Longswordsman. Because of terrain (chokepoint + cities) I couldn't take them as they were.

War Chariots are fast, which is useful to defend a stretching empire without roads from barbs.

i don't get the legion. who cares about building roads with them and they can only build a fort once you're into the medieval era and by this time, legions are outdated. plus they take 12.5% more time to produce but only are 18% stronger.

Disagree strongly, Legions are my favourite early confrontation unit. When you have captured a few Cities their road building ability is priceless. They are so realistic and true to the era.

As good as the B17 might be, they come far to late in my games to ever build one.

Large numbers of Slingers are damned annoying to play against, but I hate using them.

My vote B17.

I don't even understand why did you included Legions in the list. They are a top tier UU. The :c5strength: boost is very powerful because at that time you can't produce many swords due to limited treasury & low production. They also have road building ability which is helpful if you've conquered a lot of cities in a short time (which you should due to powerful Legions).

Zero & Slingers are the worst UUs in my opinion. Slingers really need some sort of buff to make them worthy. May be higher :c5strength: or :c5rangedstrength: when standing at hills.

camel archers were awesome before the Mongols were in but now they're just a weaker and slower keshik

For fairness, I think this poll should have every UU in the game (and possibly be multiple choice).:)

My vote is for the landsknecht - disregarding lategame UUs which are all bad because games are usually decided by then anyway.

camel archers were awesome before the Mongols were in but now they're just a weaker and slower keshik
They have higher :c5strength: & :c5rangedstrength: than Keshliks however. (They also ignore terrain penalty in Deserts if you use Thal Balance Combined).

Top Bottom