Éa, a fantasy mod for Civ5 -- teaser thread

I'm just a lurker for ciV...
and no modder for any civ game. (and I'm currently only on page 4 of the forum)
so take my comments with a grain of salt.

for techs : I understand what is wanted and what is proposed.
is it possible to have (additionaly or in place) of a %tech maintenance have a way to enact the cost maintenance by having each tech increase others tech COST by x%

I mean : reduce the "maintenance cost" from 10%per tech to 5% but rise all tech costs by 20% per tech researched (you'll have to redesign the tech cost to do so)

thus a barbs focusing on 10 tech would get the last tech at a 200% increased cost.
a research-focused civ could still research more, but each investment would be more exepensive. with 20 techs, searching the 21st would be +400% !! so reasearching a somewhat early tech (base = 200, is now 1000 (roughly 5 times costlier than the cost the barb civ paid at first...)

or have the cost increase by tier : each tier I techs increase tech costs by 10%, tier 2 by 20%, tier 3 by 30%, tier 4 by 40%...Etc researching 2 lines up to tech 4 will be very costly...

you can balance it so that having the "research focus" techs enables to get roughly 2 lvl 4 + 1/2 level 5 (on top of the lvl 5 in research) (total, at least 400-450%increase in tech cost) at which point, strating on a 4 tech line make it like all techs are at least felt as lvl5 in terms of cost, while benefits are only lvl 1.

while on the other side, the barb-civ would have got bonus for not focusing on research at the begining and when it wants to start toward a new tech line it "only" has an increase of +150% so a new tier I tech is felt like a lvl2-lvl3 tech and that's manageable but you don't have much science to compensate.

Well, I'll see the remaing part of the thread

as of mercenaries.
It'll depend on how it plays, but maybe "hiring" mercenaries could be more widespread across policies "types" so anyone can get it. However a "merc" policy allows you either to hired merc out (to gain money) or to hire better mercs ? or to allow more merc ? or cheaper ? or without any penalty ? (all other civs get a "weak" or "unloyal" promotion or something when hiring merc).

otherwise I'll think that many hired out merc won't find a buyer as only civs with "mercenaries" policy would be potential buyers ... :/ (however maybe it is balanced.. I won't know)
(and spending a policy in "merc" when you want to buy some but there is no interesting seller would be a waste of opportunity, and maybe damageable).

Maybe GM could open a "mercenary" liaison that allows to buy mercs but with increased cost or with the aformentionned bad promotions without needing the "mercenaries" policy ?

that's all for now.

sorry for being a bit "critical".

Top Bottom