A few screenshots not covered by the other reviews - 11th May 2012

Celts UA shouldn't be seen as weak,because such UA can help them to get religion faster than any other civ,which helps them on Medieval/Renaissance era . From Renaissance and beyond,they have a UB which replace Opera house and seems to be pretty good as well .

Yeah, I don't think the Celts are very weak at all. Their UU/UB stack up fairly well to Persia, and while their UA is probably not as good, it does more or less guarantee they'll be able to do well in the religion area.

Yeah I edited it for clarification.
Basically, if they added faith to G&K, it meant that people with Vanilla couldnt MP with those with Gods and Kings. So they will stay the same to promote compatibility between the two games

Vanilla players won't be able to play with GaK players anyways, since they'll be missing espionage and religion, plus whatever else doesn't get translated to vanilla.

Montov: While I don't doubt that Opera House could work well, that would mean 2 of the 9 Expansion Civs have UBs that replace it? (Celtica's Ceilidh Hall is the other.)

Why not? There's no vanilla UB there, so it's a likely target for a few here.

I don't understand the dutch UA change since it is rendering the ability completely useless now that nobody will ever trade its last luxury !

Being able to keep all happiness when fully trading all luxuries would make the vanilla lux sale spam/RA buy even more powerful. That's not a good thing. 50% is an ok amount to still sell the last ones when you need to do it.

I'm not too impressed by the Celtic UA, it seems kind of weak to be honest and strongly depends on forests being found next to your cities. Actually, a funny tactic could be to declare war on the Celts and chop down all the forest around their cities or to simply chop down forests next to their borders.:lol:

Consider it like the French UA - you get a very early bonus that fades over time (via chopping or improvement). All you need is 1 forest next to your capital and you're likely to be the first civ to a pantheon - since you start generating faith from turn 0. First choice to Pantheons/religion is a powerful thing when no one else can take the ones you get.

MadDjinn: Considering that there are so many buildings that have no UB, it just seems odd. Monument, Amphitheater (though some Temple ones may move to this), Collosseum (indeed, all of the happiness buildings)... it just seems unoriginal.

I would think the original idea of the Theater works. Or Garden. (Wouldn't be the first terrain-restricted UB: Floating Garden.)

So...Pictish Warriors are replacements for Spearmen, it seems (under Bronze Working in the tech tree)?

:/ They didn't change the Aztec UA? Its bad enough it has a stupid name, you think they'd at least update it to give piety instead of culture.

There's no need for this change. Not every Civ suddenly needs Religion at its heart now. The Aztecs are great the way they are.

I am a little surprised they didn't make an adjustment to Spain, but since Spain's ability is so unique, I'm glad their UA didn't get completely gutted, either.

And, well, if you want to talk pet peeves, I'm really rather furious that Oda Nobunaga, of all people, was chosen as the leader of Japan. ><

Oda Nobunaga is one of the three great unifiers of Japan (Oda, Toyatomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu). He's regarded in Japan as a father of the nation. I can't begin to fathom why anyone would have a problem with his choice as leader.

Our first view of the early tech tree. Unfortunately, the other tech tree shots in the group are from the Smoky Skies scenario.

Classical Era has been expanded to 2 tiers, and there are some prerequisite changes, but otherwise not much has changed.
  • What looks like Shrine has been added to Pottery
  • Composite Bowman and Terracotta Army in Construction
  • Pictish Warrior definitely replaces Spearman in Bronze Working

Our first view of the early tech tree. Unfortunately, the other tech tree shots in the group are from the Smoky Skies scenario.

Classical Era has been expanded to 2 tiers, and there are some prerequisite changes, but otherwise not much has changed.
  • What looks like Shrine has been added to Pottery
  • Composite Bowman and Terracotta Army in Construction
  • Pictish Warrior definitely replaces Spearman in Bronze Working

Philosophy seems to have been shifted (it's not in the image, but comes after Writing in vanilla).

There's 3 lines coming into the tech after HBR/Currency, meaning something hidden (below the adviser) also connects to that tech.

There's a tech after Currency at the same level as Metal Casting (assuming that's the tech that follows IW/Engineering).

IW is pushed back and more expensive than its other column techs.

bcaiko: As noted by my (Japanese) professors in my Japanese classes, Oda didn't unify anything. He spent his life destroying any unifying principle in Japan specifically so that his successor (Toyotomi Hideyoshi) could unify the country.

I would have thought Emperor Meiji would have been a much better choice. He's not an awful pick, mind you, but certainly not what I would have picked. Picking Toyotomi Hideyoshi or Tokugawa Ieyasu (particularly given Oda's backstabbing penchant) would seem better from that time period. The Meiji Emperor or the Showa Emperor (Hirohito) would be better for a more modern Japan, while a Fujiwara would be better for classical Japan.

I'll add these tech things to my post.

Drama and Poetry requires Writing, and Philosophy requires Calendar and Writing (seen behind Scientific Advisor)

... Where the F are trading posts? They seem to be completely absent now.. anybody noticed that? Trapping no longer gives it, just camps...

So they're either availalbe from start, or they removed them? Or are present from Medieval Era onwards..

I suspect that medieval tech after Currency gives them. They can go back to giving 2 gold in that case.

Top Bottom