Who is this new leader?

I think this is a man.

This shadow has really weird posture though. :rolleyes:

Indeed, if this were a man the posture would be pretty awkward. If it were a woman it'd make complete sense - a slightly poofy dress, and, most importantly, a hand holding the dress right below the scepter.

Granted it could just be a guy pulling at his dress for a second and the devs completely fooling us on that one, but I believe the shadows' being that of a woman and her dress make more sense.

Because she was the only mad ruler in that dynasty of 14 kings/queens which went from 1640 to 1910. A bit of a stretch.
It was indeed a period marred by tragedy on different accounts. No doubts there. But the madness thing irks me.

So, kind of like picking Wu Zetian, the only female ruler China had in 2000 years of history, and that for only 15 years? Yeah, they've never gone out on a limb like that before.

So, kind of like picking Wu Zetian, the only female ruler China had in 2000 years of history, and that for only 15 years? Yeah, they've never gone out on a limb like that before.

I actually sort of like Wu because she was animportant, good ruler and she was from the Tang or Ming dynastys, both of which are really important so it doesn't matter which one. So, she ruled China successfully during one of its heights, she was pretty cut-throat, and she really embodies the imperial system of empresses wielding more influence than was supposed. Since only a handful of emperors stick out like she did, there's no good reason not pick her, and I'm sick of grinchy Qin Shi Huang, I like her. A little random, but I think a lot of thought was behind picking her.

Tang. Actually, I think she might be considered a break in the continuity of the Tang, but I don't know if that's always been true, or if it's a pissy modern development trying to ret-con her out of the dynasty. Either way, I think she was a neat choice, and I was glad to see her in.

But then, when it comes to China, I was glad to see anyone but Mao. He needed to go.

Indeed, if this were a man the posture would be pretty awkward. If it were a woman it'd make complete sense - a slightly poofy dress, and, most importantly, a hand holding the dress right below the scepter.

Granted it could just be a guy pulling at his dress for a second and the devs completely fooling us on that one, but I believe the shadows' being that of a woman and her dress make more sense.

The shoulders are too broad for a woman and the only thing he/she could be holding in that hand is the scepter, else it's just floating in the air.

If the leader is Maria II we'll have 2 brothers as civ leaders, Dom Pedro II of Brazil and Dona Maria II of Portugal, both children of Dom Pedro I of Brazil/King Dom Pedro IV of Portugal.

That would be cute! :lol:

And if it's Maria I, then Pedro II would have both his great-grandmother and great-great-grandmother in the game. Scary.

Welp, I'm very glad that it's probably Portugal. I'm a big fan of Portugal and the Portuguese people, and I was pretty surprised when they weren't in vanilla Civ V. Then, I was flabbergasted when they didn't appear in Gods & Kings. They're historically significant, and definitely world including.

As for the ruler, Maria II sounds like a cool choice, though João II (any of our Portuguese posters want to help out with pronouncing his name? I chatted with a Portuguese guy named João for a while and he said I was pronouncing it wrong) was pretty cool.

Welp, I'm very glad that it's probably Portugal. I'm a big fan of Portugal and the Portuguese people, and I was pretty surprised when they weren't in vanilla Civ V. Then, I was flabbergasted when they didn't appear in Gods & Kings. They're historically significant, and definitely world including.

As for the ruler, Maria II sounds like a cool choice, though João II (any of our Portuguese posters want to help out with pronouncing his name? I chatted with a Portuguese guy named João for a while and he said I was pronouncing it wrong) was pretty cool.

It should sound like that: http://www.forvo.com/word/joão/#pt

The Portuguese have been included in both the Civ III and IV second expansions. Here they are included in expansion number two again! I will make the guess now it will be the same for civ VI :crazyeye:

The shoulders are too broad for a woman and the only thing he/she could be holding in that hand is the scepter, else it's just floating in the air.

The shoulders aren't that broad to me... it could just be part of the big dress.

As for the hand holding the scepter, it could be hard to see as its shadow is covered by the other shadow, but I personally think the hand holding the dress of relatively unmistakable.

Yeah, the architectural evidence posted by nunor is pretty convincing. My main gripe is with the water, there is no water immediately in front of the Palace, at least not when view from the balcony in the direction shown in the pictures - but that may just be artistic freedom.

Spoiler :

Gia Long maybe?

I doubt it'd be him. Before proper colonization by France the Vietnamese didn't adopt Western-style architecture, and they kept an architectural style heavily inspired by China. Plus the Nguyen Dyansty wasn't exactly known for madness and tragedy - among the Vietnamese (at least the ones I know) they're usually more associated with failure these days (failure to pull the country together and fight foreign invaders like the French and Japanese and even to cooperate with these invaders). Frankly I'd say Uncle Ho has a way higher chance of becoming Vietnam's leader than Gia Long, and even Uncle Ho I think doesn't have too good a chance.

The moment I saw the pic and read the description, I knew it was Portugal. But it's great to see all the research done here.

All in all, I would love to play with a mad queen. :D

Yup. It's definitely Portugal. The scepter was the first clue, then the pics of the Sintra Palace posted by nonor confirmed it for me and I'm glad. Portugal deserves to be in and they were a personal favorite of mine in Civ4. :)

BTW to anyone who still thinks it's a turban, look more closely at the shadow, then take a look at this pic of Maria II: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Retrato_D._Maria_II.jpg notice how the hair resembles the form of the 'head' of the shadow? The reason it looks like a turban at first glance is because the base of the column was warping it, making her head and hair look bigger than it is. As for the feather, it was a common fashionable accessory for noble ladies of the 19th century if I recall correctly.(Napoleon's wife Josephine was known to have worn them on occasion I believe.) EDIT: Here are some examples from google to show what I mean:
Spoiler :

After reading up on the later Portuguese monarchs, particularly those of the 18th and 19th century, I am even more so convinced that this has to be one of the Marias, though I'm leaning on Maria II. There's quite a lot of drama with these monarchs - such as the tragic hero figure of Pedro I (or at least that's what I'm getting from the wikipedia article) to the madness of Maria I and so on. Maria II and Pedro I would make for some nice sibling fights as well. :D

Bit disappointed that it is probably Portugal.
It's not that I wouldn't want them in the game, I'd love it if they were included. But considering the theme and fan base Portugal and Zulu have they were pretty much no-brainers in guessing the new civs. Now it is getting more difficult in figuring out the other civs.

Top Bottom