• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I should re-phrase - with the exception of the ultra-popular leaders (Shaka, lets face it without him do the Zulu really get in ?)

I mean
Tokugawa -> Oda
Saladin -> Harun
Hannibal -> Dido
Justinian -> Theodora
Mao/Qin -> Wu
Joao -> Maria
Julius -> Augustus

You can't deny they've taken some slightly different options with some of the other leader choices.

In addition to that:

Zara - Haile
Hammurabi - Nebuchadnezzar
Huayna - Pachacuti
Suryavarman (Khmer) - Ramkhanghaeng (Siam)
Mansa Musa (Mali) - Askia (Songhai)
Wang Kon - Sejong

Khmer was persumably replaced by Siam
Mali was persumably replaced by Songhai

Yes, Askia over Mansa Musa will always be a ridiculous choice, dunno what they were thinking.

If we're making educated guesses based on a city-state formula....I haven't seen Yerevan in any of the screenshots, wouldn't that make Armenia part of this discussion?

Ugh. If we really want to play this game, I'll lay it out for you.
Culture city-states not yet seen and could be part of a new civ (7/10):
Florence
Bucharest
Yerevan
Milan
Kathmandu
Kuala Lumpur
Brussels

Mercantile (9/10):
Cahokia
Zurich
Genoa
Hong Kong
Tyre
Zanzibar
Antwerp
Marrakech
Colombo
Singapore

Religious (2/6):
Lhasa
Vatican CIty

Militaristic (5/6):
Budapest
Almaty
Sidon
Hanoi
Valetta

Maritime (7/10):
Jakarta
Sydney
Venice*
Ragusa
Quebec City
Manila
Mombasa

*Venice's color/type combination have been observed on Riga, indicating that something has been changed with Venice or Venice has been removed

If we're making educated guesses based on a city-state formula....I haven't seen Yerevan in any of the screenshots, wouldn't that make Armenia part of this discussion?

We have seen 16 city states so far and only 15 different ones. As there were 42 city states in Gods & Kings and they could in fact be more in Brave New World, not seeing Yereven means literally nothing at the moment.

There are only two solid points to make any kind of educated guess from with the city states right now:

1. Ruling out Civs based on city states we seen in Brave New World screenshots
2. Seeing if a civ is likely to have been replaced based on colour-type combinations of new or changed civs

I'd bet Mount Kailash on the remaining four Civs being iterations of:

Venice.
Morocco.
Majapahit.
Navajo.

BOOM - said the noob.

I'd bet Mount Kailash on the remaining four Civs being iterations of:

Venice.
Morocco.
Majapahit.
Navajo.

BOOM - said the noob.

Iterations? I kind of get how your using it, but it's still a bit of an odd way of saying it.

Good list though, although they usually aren't that specific in naming, and I'd expect Italy and Indonesia rather than Venice and Majapahit.

Boom indeed though.

The change of Carthage to anything but Hannibal was just silly.

I miss Hannibal, would've been great if he had made it into G&K.
If they wanted another female leader that badly they could've just gone with Christina of Sweden instead of adding the mythical Dido.:rolleyes:

On topic:

Judging by what we know right now my civ guesses would be:

6. Morocco
7. Sioux
8. Italy
9. Indonesia or Vietnam

Ok... after reading more throughly everything, I have a final bet:

6. Morocco (pretty much everyone seems to agree that the slip is true)
7. Vietnam (Ideologies, Asia... Maybe a female leader: one of the Trung Sisters [note, I doubt Indonesia, mostly because the whole sea-trade is pretty much taken])
8. Inuit (Seals as a possible new resource, maybe a "Pro-civ?", maybe WC related, and quite fan requested, North-American [note, I know in regards on this last point the Sioux could be more likely, but the Inuit also have other points in favor of them])
9. Italy (City-state theory, Great Works mechanic, European)

*Venice's color/type combination have been observed on Riga, indicating that something has been changed with Venice or Venice has been removed

Please note that it is very unlikely that Venice is still a city state. No city state that has had it's colour-type combination taken by another has remained in the game, and despite there being examples of city states being changed by type and colour in Gods & Kings, none have taken their colour-type combination in those cases.

I don't understand the remarks about sea trade civs being taken. That's like saying that war civs are taken.

7. Vietnam (Ideologies, Asia... Maybe a female leader: one of the Trung Sisters [note, I doubt Indonesia, mostly because the whole sea-trade is pretty much taken])
8. Inuit (Seals as a possible new resource, maybe a "Pro-civ?", maybe WC related, and quite fan requested, North-American [note, I know in regards on this last point the Sioux could be more likely, but the Inuit also have other points in favor of them])

I do enjoy seeing this "Pro-Civ" speculation, as we have no idea what it means whatsoever from what I can tell.

For my money, I would prefer the Inuit over other Native American tribes, and a snow bias would be a huge pain in the ass/challenge, even if they got +food and a snow based UI.

Morocco is obvious. Vietnam or Indonesia, we don't know which one yet as the majority of Civ fans choose Indonesia. Inuit? I prefer Sioux with buffalos as the new resource. And a random last civ.

Here is my list:

1) Venice. I prefer Venice over Italy because I favor the Venetian Glass unique resource which combines nicely with the city-state color deduction.

2) Morocco. The name drop and what appears to be a Kasbah make for a compelling case. There is also an opening here for a female leader.

3) Shawnee or Cherokee. My preference would be Comanche. They were the biggest Native hegemony by area, they were the first to utilize horses on the plains, and they had power. However the Tomahawk unit does not fit a Western Native American or horse-borne nomadic civ. Mississipians are out because Tomahawks are post-Columbian. That leaves me with the adaptive Cherokee or the Shawnee with the charismatic Tecumseh as leader.

4) Vietnam. I think Indonesia has a serious case here as well, but I lean towards Vietnam because of their history of resisting Chinese, Japanese, and colonial powers and they have cultural cachet with the American people as the host of an ideological proxy war in recent history.

If i'm gunna choose four that i get the feeling are gunna be in it'll be these chaps:

Morocco - there seems to be a MOUNTAIN of evidence for them (i'd go as far as to see an Atlas mountain of information)

Shawnee - The pueblo unfortunately have looked less and less likely since they were mentioned last month as having Pope cut. Debate in the mysterious axeman thread has led me to believe these guys are in with a very good shout as a replacement. Firaxis do like to surprise us, and i would say that the Cherokee are the next most likely here as i firmly believe the axeman is a Tomahawk UU.

Vietnam - If the city state theory is to be believed, this seems a strong candidate adding to the sparsely represented South East Asian community. Not the favourite candidate, but i'd still be pleased to see it. Provided it isn't too modern focussed...

Italy - Again, if the city state theory is to be believed, this seems a likely candidate. Quite popular amongst the fans and it would keep the European ratio up which seems important in terms of target audience and in terms of precedent set by Firaxis. With Venice apparently replaced, i would doubt the inclusion of Venice as a civ particularly with the modern focus to the expansion. Fits in nicely with the scenario too.

Pretty much like most here, my bets are

Morocco - semi-confirmed
Shawnee or Cherokee - semi-semi-semi confirmed with possible Pueblo replacement and weird tomahawk unit
Italy/Venice - using the CS theory
Indonesia/Vietnam - They need another Asian civ; since Morocco is semi-confirmed with a Kasbah, I'm iffy on whether they'll have a Silk Road civ for a land trade civ

Morocco is obvious. Vietnam or Indonesia, we don't know which one yet as the majority of Civ fans choose Indonesia. Inuit? I prefer Sioux with buffalos as the new resource. And a random last civ.

Well, you have to admit the list right now is fairly like everyone's list... My biggest longshot here is Inuit of course, but somehow I have a feeling they'll get in hehe (Seals would add something to the game, a resource on snow, whereas buffalos will not really)...

6. Moroccans
7. Afghans (resource civ with Lapis as luxury resource and Muhammad of Ghor as leader)
8. Seminole (they had actual towns with names unlike the Sioux)
9. Venetians or Italians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom