End of Empires - N3S III

Thlayli should hopefully be pleased that I have rechristened my governing body the Red Chamber. The nomenclature is quite simple. I have decided that the Hierarchs of the Daharai meet in a big red-carpeted chamber in the Great Palace in Epichirisi.

To Look Upon the Sea

Three young men sat upon the warped and sun-aged planks of a nameless fisherman's dock. All was quiet save the gentle sound of the surf as it met the shore, the calls of the gulls as they rode the air, and the buzz of the cicadas in the noontime heat. The men stared across the water as the sun reached its apex - light playing atop the waves - as in the far distance were lit the white walls of the city. They had been silent for many moments, each among them deep in contemplation. They wore the muted garb of the Daharai, all collared as Brothers Superior, though one among them bore the crimson belt of a Prelate of that storied Order. If such things can be said, it seemed his air was somehow greater than that of his companions. Perhaps it was the way he held himself, or perhaps it was the determination in his eyes, or perhaps it was just the way the light struck him. Kaltas Nire breathed deeply of the crisp salt air, and he smiled as he took in the vista that was before him. With a sigh at last he drew his bare feet out from the water, and he stood upon the dock. "We three brothers proved our worth on the walls of Treha, this we know well. By our deeds in that place are we known by others, and as we are known we have been made more than we were. We each swore to the other that we should go together where the world should take us, and so here we have come, before the walls of this city. It is our great trial, and it is before us."

"These things are good, Kaltas, and I am proud to stand here beside you. But would it not be better were we instead poised to take back our sacred isle from the heathen Savirai? Would it not be best had the Hierarchs sent us thence to Dinyart? How shall we be enlightened by our deeds if never we come to that place?" said Eander as he too came to stand upon the dock.

"Enlightment is not a place, Eander. This is the folly of many of our faith. It is a journey. A journey through life until its end, and more and more I suspect that we can not know of true Enlightenment until our final moment, until that last breath flies from the body." the third man said as he remained seated upon the dock. He was Sadar, and of those three only he did not look upon that city, but instead upon the gulls as they strove against the wind.

"But does not a life well lived bring us to Enlightenment, as Jitanu said? Is it not most well of all for us to see that sacred place?" Eander said.

"It is well for us to see that place, Eander. But it is as well to look upon any place of beauty. Enlightenment is all about us; see the waves as they dance, feel the air upon your skin, hear the songs of birds as they delight in the wind beneath their wings. In each of these things may we find a grain of truth, if we should take the time to look. Indagahor has come to us from that place, this is true, but it might have come from any other. In beauty and truth is the mind freed, and you must but open your eyes and you will see these things. We must not confuse the beginning as the end, though each leads to the other." Sadar responded.

"I.. I think I see, Brother Sadar. I think it is that you are right, and I think that I have in some ways been blind. I will meditate upon what you have said, and I shall seek to know these things as you do." Eander said as he bowed his head in thought.

"Your wisdom humbles us, Sadar." Kaltas said as he followed the course of a distant sail as it disappeared behind the harbour walls of the city that lay across from them. "We are here, Eander, because the Republic is indivisible. We are here because our Order is indomitable. We are here to show the world our strength. The Hierarchs shall not satisfy me with the belt of a Prelate, and by my victory shall I ascend. They will have no choice but to raise me as Primate, and then none shall stand in my way. We shall rise together, as we have sworn." Kaltas looked to the west then, and there as they rounded the cape were the sails of his armada. "And so this city shall be supplicant before us. And so through victory shall we be Enlightened." he said.

Bells rang out from the city then as that great fleet was spied, and for but a moment Kaltas thought that he could hear the plaintive cries of its people carried across the water that lay between. A launch approached those three as they stood patiently upon the dock, and it took them up and carried them to the fleet, and to the task that was before them.

----

To: The Dual Empire of the Savirai and the Nahari

It is good that the Imperial Throne of Opulens has been defeated, and the Dual Empire has played its part in this. But Sacred Dinyart is integral to the body of the Republic, and we cannot abide that it should be held by those who do not follow Indagahor, by those who do not embrace the Path of Enlightenment.

The Daharai and the Opulensi have struggled long upon the mainland with your peoples, but our interest in those places wanes, and so at this time it is not our desire to make war upon the Dual Empire. But Dinyart must be ours, and you shall cede your control of it to us. To ease this transition, and to recognize those soldiers who lost their lives against the forces of the Emperor, the Red Chamber shall gift unto the Dual Empire five-hundred ingots of fine silver. We shall wait for your reply. [OOC: That is, I am offering 500 measures of income.]

To: Farubaida o Caroha

The last vestiges of the Emperor's authority are vanquished, and the friendship that is between us endures. We are glad of the aid that you have lent to our Republic and to our Order, and we shall remember all that you have done for us. Peace, prosperity and honour; these things we cherish and respect. But for peace on this Sea to endure, Sacred Dinyart must be returned to us. We would ask that the Federation do what it might to encourage the Dual Empire to come to this same conclusion.

Thlayli should hopefully be pleased that I have rechristened my governing body the Red Chamber. The nomenclature is quite simple. I have decided that the Hierarchs of the Daharai meet in a big red-carpeted chamber in the Great Palace in Epichirisi.

I am. Also, good story.

The Daily Trash 4: Prince Joffer Dascawen at the Archives

Two men sat within the Grand Archives at the heart of Parta. One of them, a youth of twenty seven, sat on his knees, his hands in his lap. His indigo robe, brightly marked with the scarlet and silver of House Dascawen, fitted loosely around his muscular form, held by a snakeskin belt. The other was a curator, a scholar of this monument to Parthecan history. His plain black robe was highlighted by his pure white cloak, marked only by the stylized word [Nictas], The Wisdom of Knowing.

The intricately carved wooden columns, carefully highlighted with enamel and precious metals, frame a large central and airy central hall. Shelves full of scrolls, books, tablets and cubicles radiate from the center, the public face of the Archives. Above, scholars and clerks alike work to copy old records and record new arrivals. Below, far below, lies layer after layer of hidden knowledge, marked for when the time is right for them to shine, blindingly, upon the ignorance of their missing.

The sage read aloud, his reedy old voice brining old tales to life... if there were any life in them anyways.

"And on the third day of the fifth moon of the reign of King Gandoros Quercas Thewen, he, the King of Parta, Upholder of the Parwen and Defender of the Partheca Peoples, ordered his daughter Curlav Thewen, Third of his Fifth Wife, to be married to Lord ****armac Hutuwen, Commander of the South Coast, Overlord of the Villages of Hutuma, Dakka, and Morwar. And on the forth day of the fifth moon of the reign of king Gandoros Quercas Thewen, he, the King of Parta, Upholder of the Parwen and Defender of the Partheca Peoples, ordered a grand ceremony to be held in five days after the approval of Lord ****armac, Commander of the South Coast, Overlord of the Villages of Hutuma, Dakka, and Morwar, of the marriage to Curlav Thewen. And on the fifth day of the fifth moon of the reign of King Gandoros Quercas, the King of Parta, Upholder of the Parwen and Defender of the Partheca Peoples, his daughter Curlav Thewen, formerly betrothed to be married to Lord ****armac Hutuwen...."

The youth watched as the sage's mouth curled around the written symbols, forming them into sounds and birthing them kicking and screaming into the world. His face showed no emotion, although many would call his expression that of boredom or disdain. Perhaps Prince Joffer, son of King Condom and Queen Dasca, does not see the value of the "Great Kings of Old". Even if he did, he does not voice his love as does his parents. Of course, others would say, he rarely voices his feelings at all.

But still, he listens. Still, the sage Cendultas reads. The soft words swam through the air like fish freed from the deadly sand back into the living sea. Finally, the tablet finished, Cedultas placed it down raised two fingers of his left hand, placing them at his temple. Joffer returned the gesture and left.

The archives once more became silent. But wait; if one listens carefully, the soft murmur of reading can be heard throughout the building. The words of the past, once dead, now live again. The Great Kings of Old will live again among the new Kings of the future.

Claiming the Kothari Exatai then.

To Farubaida o Caroha
From Kartis the Redeemer

We shall willingly hear your terms. We remain willing to fight, however, for whatever is, was, and will be ours.

Excerpt from The Third Exatai, written by Axilias-ta-Alma, High Confessor of the Sephashim

On the Second Submission to the Thirteenth Redeemer of Man

Following his great victory against the forces of corruption, and the banishment of the slanderous Zelarri whose sins had caused grievous injuries to Taleldil, it was before the walls of Acca that the Redeemer held the Second Submission, of those princes which had rebelled. He caused to be erected a great platform before the walls, and there assembled both armies, victorious and defeated. Upon it was drawn a great circle, marked in blood and oil commingled. They then lit the circle aflame, as the Oracles walked around the boundary, chanting and spreading clouds of incense. Each of the Five who had rebelled passed through the flames to signal their purification.

Tephras-ta-Atracta, Prince of the Scroll, primarch of the rebellion, was first to submit. His golden armor was all unbuckled to signify that he had come undone. His face had been grievously bruised, some said in battle, others in punishment. He cut his golden hair before the Redeemer in the tradition of the Accani, and the curls spread at Karal’s feet. Then he laid his spear.

Eroach, Prince of the Storm, ruler of the Avaimi, was the second to submit. The second prince of that tribe, he was the sister-son to Prince Dvraesyn, the hated one. He was not richly dressed, as the fortune of that people had diminished so greatly since the Conquest of Jahan, that which in their tongue was called the War of Burning Pines. Eroach uttered his hope that many of the lands once belonging to Isathmaeyr the Last might be restored to him. Then he laid his spear.

Taneku-vao, Prince of the Ice, ruler of the Taudo, was the third to submit. He was appareled in the strange fashion of the people of that land, with a triangular cloak that covers the whole of the body, and wore a mask of cloth painted silver. His garment he rent in two, to signal his despair at having followed falseness. He spoke of how the Taudo had risen faithfully at the call of Jahan, father of the Redeemer, and asked that the insults (which, he spoke not) of their neighbors be atoned for. Then he laid his spear.

Vecco Tepecci, Prince of the Sea, ruler of the Accanon newly-acclaimed, was the fourth to submit. He gave to the Redeemer a golden coin, which he said had been struck in the foundry of his tribe. Upon it was the image of Karal-ta-Asikhar, holding in one hand the sun, and in the other hand the moon, to signal that the Tribe of the Moon had taken possession of all that lay under the sun. He did this to signify how he might serve the Exatai. Then he laid his spear.

Itarephas-ta-Alusille, Prince of the Shield, ruler of the northern Satar and grandson of the Firelight, was the fifth to submit. He was clothed in ragged attire, for truly his spirit had been broken with his army when the city of Alusille had fallen, and his grandfather and father killed. He drew there a dagger before the whole assembly, seeking to plunge it into his throat, before Karal restrained his arm. He looked upon the fallen Prince, and offered his forgiveness for all that had passed, commanding him to live, for the memory of his grandfather. Then he laid his spear.

Having laid their spears, the Redeemer removed his mask. The Princes bled their arms and mingled their blood upon the mask. Then Karal himself spilt his own blood upon theirs, and replacing the mask, thrust his spear towards the sky.

And the armies there assembled gave up a great shout, for again had the Unbowed been made whole.

These five Princes then joined those of the Sword, Spear, Arrow, Wheel, Wind, and the High Prince of the Moon. The Redeemer declared that these Eleven Princedoms would be confirmed in their rights, and that no new Princedoms would be henceforth created. But rather, that the Eleven would carry out the will of the God of Man until the whole of the earth might be conquered, and the War in Heaven at last put to an end.

He did not make mention of the Prince of Bone, but neither did he deny his claim. Many wondered at this.

To Walk The Path

a position by Brother Sadar of Epichirisi

The soul is eternal, and it is perfect, and you may know Enlightenment. To hold to the Faith means to seek Enlightenment. To hold to the Faith means to search ever for the truth. But how shall a man know when he has found the truth?

He shall not.

Then how shall he come to know Enlightenment?

He cannot.

Then shall he not despair?

He must not.

It has been the great error of our Faith that a man must reach that sacred apex. It has been our great failing that this alone has been our work. No man can find Enlightenment while his heart beats, while his lungs breathe. The bodies of men are imperfect, fallible, and weak. Such a vessel cannot contain the glory that is Enlightenment. This truth is evident, and you are faced with its ugliness. The strength of your Faith must carry you, and you must yet believe. It is the soul - not man - that is eternal, that is perfect. You may know Enlightenment. To know it, you must walk the Path. This is as it has always been, and it is as you have always known.

To walk the Path you must be pure of heart and pure of mind. To walk the Path you must be righteous, and you must be just. To walk the Path you must be kind, and you must strive always for a better world. To walk the Path you must love your neighbour as you love yourself. To walk the Path you must seek the good in all that you should do. To walk the Path you must cherish peace, you must cherish prosperity, and you must cherish honour.

But no man walks the Path alone. To step forward you must hold out your hand to your fellow man. To step forward you must lead, as you yourself once were led. To step forward you must banish ignorance. To step forward you must teach. To step forward you must spread our Word. You must spread the Word of peace, and of prosperity, and of honour. This is our essence, and it is the way of the Daharai, and it is the greatest thing that you shall do. So go now, and spread our Word, and step forward upon the path. Step forward until your chains are broken. Step forward unto eternity.

When that final breath flies from your body, when your soul is freed from its worldly shell, there is Harmony. It is a single moment. Of memory, and of experience. Of love, and of anger. Of pride, and of envy. It is all these things and many more. It is life itself in one single, beautiful moment. This is how you shall find Enlightenment. A life lived upon the Path and by the Word is the key that unlocks the truth of this moment. If you have walked always upon the Path and never have you strayed, then it shall be yours. With this key shall Harmony become Enlightenment. And with Enlightenment, you shall be free.

The two red enclaves in the south and north are Siaxis and Tesion, the two greatest of the Karapeshai monasteries.

To: Fifth-Frei, Chief-of-Chiefs of the Moti

My Vithana cousins have spilled across the border into my princedom, crying of wanton slaughter at your soldiers' hands.

What evil have the Hai Vithana done to deserve this slaughter? For you came upon them without warning and without mercy, truly an unjust thing.

To: Karal-ta-Asihkar of the Karapeshai

Is it the way of the Satar to give warning and show mercy when it impedes their conquests? Nonetheless, I am not Satar. Your cousins lie to you, Prince. I have not slain any who would yield to me and submit to my authority, or who would merely agree to leave after seeing that resistance is in vain. I have allowed those who agreed to this to take enough food and water to make the journey to your lands or in any other direction. I have only slain those who in their stubbornness continued to attack my army - is that what you would call unjust too?

The Hai Vithana were raiders and invaders. They have plagued all their neighbours for generations, and they fell upon the peoples of the west at their time of weakness. They lived as bandits and jackals among the nations; should those be given warning before they are attacked? They have provoked me and my predecessors since their empire first came to be. Do you deny my right to respond to such provocation, or to defend my brethren in faith that suffered under their misrule and anarchy?

Do you fear that I would attack you as well? Have you given me reason to do so? If you have not attacked my neighbours and those under my protection, and have not permitted raiders and rebels to attack from your side of the border, then you have nothing to be concerned about, Prince. And if you cannot rein in the Hai Vithana or others who would attack from your lands, then tell me so, and I shall take measures against them without endangering the peace and freedom of your realm.

That's a great, informative map of the internal divisions in Karapeshai, Thlayli. Very cool.

As the candle waned and shadows stole over his slate, Wa stood up, chalk in hand and stretched his legs, arched his back with a satisfying crack and sighed. In front of him was a bronze, the text on its face worn almost smooth.

Next to it were three rubbings, one in black, one in red and the final in rich Opulensi purple. Using the subtle differences in the shades and weight of his chosen mediums, Wa had spent all of the past week trying to decipher the text that had faced the bronze.

He had not been successful. What parts of the text he had been able to make out were when put together gibberish. With the night having long since fallen, he was now resigned to the need to sleep much to his regret.

He waved over the girl who had been waiting on him during the night. She was small and veiled. That was unusual in these parts. But he was tired and wanted sleep. Gathering up his rubbings, taking care to tie them off, he began to walk towards his chambers.

Expecting to hear footsteps on the tiles behind him, Wa was surprised to hear none. The girl had not followed him. Annoyed he walked back towards his chambers, his coat spooling out into the darkness of the hallway. The sound of his quick footsteps echoing off the stones almost like the sound of an army.

He found her standing in front of the bronze, slate in hand, scribbling furiously away. Now furious and scared for his bronze, he lifted his hand to strike the girl. She raised her hand, her fingers signalling for Wa to stop. Wa even more furious clenched his fist and leaned in preparing to strike.

The girl turned. For a second he caught sight of red eyes, how he could do so in the low light and behind her veil he was not sure. But he stopped and with a soft cry touched his head with his right hand for the horror of it. She laughed and said "the language is Arkage, not old Seshweay".

Wa stood stunned. She continued, "unfortunately, the text is quite banal much like the Arkage themselves." With that, she bowed ever so slightly and touched her nose to Wa's still clenched palm. "I'm pleased to meet you brother Wa. I must apologize for the shock I have caused but I have something I want you to write".

To: Moti Chief-of-Chiefs Fifth-Frei

It is not the way of the Satar to give warning, no, but it is the tradition of Atraxes, who the chronicles claim was a great friend of Third-Gaci in his day, to spare cities from being destroyed entirely. Clearly the stones of Amhatr themselves must have raided your lands, or provoked your majesty, for it was against them that you vented your fury. Perhaps we simply have a different conception of mercy, but mine does not involve driving thousands into the desert.

I have no need to fear your power. My predecessor Avetas crushed your armies when they made their attempt against Acca, and I will do the same if you seek another battle. But I have fought enough wars to be weary of them, Chief, at least for a time. And, like you say, if I truly sought a contest with you, I would not seek to speak with you first. That alone shows that my intentions are peaceable.

The Hai Vithana might have been your friends, had you come to them with an open palm. But now it seems that path is lost. I would seek only that you not impede my efforts to rebuild Amhatr, where I once spent some months as a young prince. In return I shall give you my word that the inhabitants shall not raid your lands, if my words hold weight with them.

That's a great, informative map of the internal divisions in Karapeshai, Thlayli. Very cool.

Thanks. Scroll and Sea used to be larger than they are, but they were punished by Karal for losing the war. The Arrow lands were just carved out of Scroll's territory, and the territory south of the Markha was given to Sword.

Shield has become a sort of first-among-equals among the Northern Satar because of their control of Alusille, and often allies with Storm to counteract the growing power of the Wind Princedom.

There are four general geographic categories now; the Southern Marcher Satar (Sword, Spear, Wheel), the Northern Satar (Arrow, Shield, Scroll), the Steppe Princes (Moon, Wind), and the Far Northern or Post-Evyni Princes (Storm, Ice, Bone). The Accans are in a category of their own, as they tend to have a lot of urban holdings across the Princedoms. This has little bearing on their factional alliances but that's generally how they're seen.

Prince Taexi of the Wind, Guardian of the Einan,
From Bulugu, Tebtai of the Great Tribes.

I do not claim these men you seek to lay at my feet.

Your allegations fall far from truth, and the assertion that I would concern myself with the affairs of tribes outside the oyulun are malicious. You are lord in your lands- let you reconcile this that ails you. You seek blood? Very well, have the head of every man who offends your god. Burn every temple, burn every hermitage, burn every library. Burn the reaches of the river in your quest to drive away this sickness. In all courses, do as you please- I will not bother you with these affairs, as I have not done from the start.

Yet, I will not deny that true justice must always be delivered. If you have confirmation that any man of the oyulun has meddled within your domain, bring it forth and I will deliver unto you that man’s head. A man of the Tribes who takes leave to obstruct without permission is a man who will not be tolerated.

OOC: NK, sorry- there isn't a Sharhi calendar; I'm just apparently awful with keeping up with dates. The Sharhi use the same calendar as the Evyni, which is off the Seshweay calendar.

Claiming the Kothari Exatai then.

To Farubaida o Caroha
From Kartis the Redeemer

We shall willingly hear your terms. We remain willing to fight, however, for whatever is, was, and will be ours.

Picking up Chapru. Think a little clean start might get me back into NESing a little more.

Welcome, welcome.

Ninja, you might be interested in an expanded shroud for the Chapru. ;)

OOC: NK, sorry- there isn't a Sharhi calendar; I'm just apparently awful with keeping up with dates. The Sharhi use the same calendar as the Evyni, which is off the Seshweay calendar.

My bad, I'll have to fix that. :)

Top Bottom