Caravan autorenewal

guycitron

Chieftain
Is there a mod or patch to make caravans autorenew their routes? I played BNW for the first time last night and I could tell just messing about how tedious it could become to have to continually direct large numbers of trade units.... usually like to play large marathon games :D

Also... automate missionaries? I know this isnt new to BNW but it is something I'd like to see.

Is there a mod or patch to make caravans autorenew their routes? I played BNW for the first time last night and I could tell just messing about how tedious it could become to have to continually direct large numbers of trade units.... usually like to play large marathon games :D

Agreed... Especially playing Portugal, where you get 2x. Once you're up to 16 cargo ships, you're renewing one every two turns.

You can just scroll down the list and find previous usage and renew that, but I do wish there was a "Renew" button in the main screen.

As far as auto-renew, if that was in place, then it would also be good to have "Cancel" option. I don't think there is.

Agreed... Especially playing Portugal, where you get 2x. Once you're up to 16 cargo ships, you're renewing one every two turns.

You can just scroll down the list and find previous usage and renew that, but I do wish there was a "Renew" button in the main screen.

As far as auto-renew, if that was in place, then it would also be good to have "Cancel" option. I don't think there is.

Lol, I think you meant Venice! A renew button would be nice. Just stick it in the special action slot.

I think you mean Venice there, fotonut. Venice has a max of 20 routes iirc, so for everyone else it's 10. I agree that this should be automated; there could be a notification about it ('Route x will be renewed at the end of this turn'), so you could click on it and reassign the route if you want to.

I think it might be better not to automate cargo ships and caravans. Things can change between turns, it might be more profitable or safer for the units to go to another city, CS, etc.,

Notification. A big bright red one so you can't miss it. With a sound-effect. It would describe the route so you know which one it is. ":c5production: London :c5moves: York will be renewed next turn". There's no reason for tedium to exist in games when there's sensible alternatives.

True, which is why it might be better just placing your most recent trade at the top of the list as opposed to the Renew button.

Sometimes I like to change my trade route to improve relationships with other civs, or I need to get some more religious pressure.

At the same time, since Venice doesn't manage multiple city, I think they intended to compensate it by having more trade routes to manage. It does turn into a slight headache having to choose the same trade route every single turn.

There doesn't need to be a "renew".. you'd STILL have to press the button each time anyway.

What COULD be done is that the Previosu Route have a default priortiy in the listing, it could have it's seperate category that would by default be on the top, so you could just click it from there.

There doesn't need to be a "renew".. you'd STILL have to press the button each time anyway.

What COULD be done is that the Previosu Route have a default priortiy in the listing, it could have it's seperate category that would by default be on the top, so you could just click it from there.

But I want to click the special clicky special button instead of the same ole trade screen I've been clicky-pressing! This games been out for a MONTH and they STILL haven't updated the clicky-spceaiil kkcclicky buttons yet!

:cry: -ENDRANT :cry:

All they need to do is move the current route to the top of the list when assigning its next destination.

That's it.

No need for autorenew (seriously more profitable options often appear between assignments).

I wouldn't mind an auto-renewal.

Although I'd really prefer the ability to embargo on my own.

What do you mean, Rex? You can with the World Congress.

I mean when another civ is "trading" with me that I didn't choose. Last night
I noticed Attila was happily caravaning away on one of my cities while he called me
vermin the next. Don't like me? Well fine, I won't allow my cities to trade with you.

But you cannot. Unless you go to war.

Agree with Sinicandfffan here, the whole point of having to re-send caravans is to make sure that you dont miss a more profitable route that just opened.

If your neighbours capital built the Collossus and the East india trade compagny back to back in the same city, you will want to send everything you got there!

So a Close Border type of deal? Would be interesting, but at the same time, you want people to send their caravans to you. Better you benefit gold and science off their trade rather than another civ. If you manage to attract a lot of traders, it can probably amount to what...25% of your overall income?

I'm not sure I'd like an auto-renew, simply because I like to check for a better option each time the route expires.

A notification that a trade route is about to be renewed would be fine though.

Notification. A big bright red one so you can't miss it. With a sound-effect. It would describe the route so you know which one it is. ":c5production: London :c5moves: York will be renewed next turn". There's no reason for tedium to exist in games when there's sensible alternatives.

This is what I would use if it were an option.

Really, if they just had a "renew" button on the unit alongside "choose route" and "change city', that would still be better than the current state of things.

Then again, it seems every so often the unit is unable to remember what its last route is (even if the city hasn't been conquered, embargoed, etc). Maybe they noticed that glitch and held off on renew options because of it...

Agree with Sinicandfffan here, the whole point of having to re-send caravans is to make sure that you dont miss a more profitable route that just opened.

If your neighbours capital built the Collossus and the East india trade compagny back to back in the same city, you will want to send everything you got there!

Unless you are using trade routes to max out the Tourism trade route modifier, in which case you might not care that a more profitable route is available.

Unless you are using trade routes to max out the Tourism trade route modifier, in which case you might not care that a more profitable route is available.

Or maybe just don't want to be bothered with it.. as long as the route isnt in danger of being plundered and it makes some money. :p

How would this work considering the current caravan/cargo ship doesn't allow for a cancel?
Ahem. I hate to quote myself, but... No wait actually I love to quote myself:

Greizer85 the Great Post Maker said:

;)

Top Bottom