Realism Invictus

Sorry, I was out of my mind. No Culture Bombs. Nonetheless, without culture bombs, it's less exploit-y but still manageable. The reason why culture by espionage is interesting is when you put the espionage slider to 100%, all :espionage: goes into your culture missions. You use all your empire resources(i,e. hammers, food or commerce) into your culture victory. When doing pure culture, except your three main legendary cities, all culture invested by 100% :culture: slider is wasted in minor cities.

But if we go far into realism, the culture victory makes no sense outside the gamey option to win peacefully. Even a game victory that might be called domination by buying the world would make more sense. Winning by just having three cities to put the world in awe is quite weak compared to the dude next to you having enough soldiers to take out everybody.

Diplomatic, space colony(new world conquered), domination, conquest: all those victories make sense in the sense of controlling everything. But culture, well, unless it is mean like Hollywood swallowed the world in cinematography, it has little sense as a victory.

Just the opinion I've heard once somewhere.

thanks for the tips! I don't care about the realism of the culture victory, I just don't want to be exploiting gifting cities and so on

edit: man, when you have 103 cities it's hard to care very much about micromanaging any one of them

edit: OMG it is hard to get 51 percent of the huge world map

Dune Wars have an interesting "domination" victory called Holy War Victory. Instead of having to control the required normal amount of land, you can control less and still win if your religion is spread a certain percentage. Its nice for warmongering in big maps as long you're willing to invest some hammers into missionaries.

thanks for the tips! I don't care about the realism of the culture victory, I just don't want to be exploiting gifting cities and so on

edit: man, when you have 103 cities it's hard to care very much about micromanaging any one of them

Ouch! That sounds not fun to gun domination on World Map. That explains why people want to play as a builder. ;)

it's hard!! I have 135 cities and 43% population but only 27% of the map :O

I have to take a break to consolidate my conquests, I have vast domains in the americas that badly need terrain improvements

it might be nice if you could win by controlling every holy city or something

Once again, sorry everyone for a long absence, I seem to have much less time these days than I anticipated. All in all, I can tell you that we're working on 3.2.1 patch fixing most of the reported issues, and it is definitely going to be out before Christmas. ;)

Stonehenge: Obsolescence
I propose to rule out all about the obsolescence of the wonder Stonehenge and here are my reasons:

Done.

Rule of Fear vs Nobility vs Bureaucracy vs Plutocracy
... Those four civics are interestingly balanced to each other!

Thanks! Coming from such a balance-minded person as yourself, this means a lot.

Economy Branch Civic: Guild
... I do think Guild economy civic is extremely underwhelming to the point I never use it.

Would lowering the upkeep be enough in your opinion. Currently, I set it to medium instead of high.

Hope this info helps;

What you didn't specify, and what was the exact thing I was asking for, is your GPU. You see, due to some technical reasons (I've covered them in more depth below), RI is more demanding to GPU than vanilla Civ 4. The fact that you can play vanilla Civ 4 without issues doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to play RI the same way.

hmmm...is everyone playing like huge world map? I mean does everyone has ultra stronk computers because there must people like me who are limited to large scaled maps. :(

I don't even think it boils down to people having very good PCs. Mostly it is dependent on having a 64-bit OS (which almost any PC made in last 5 years will be able to run) and a lot of patience.

Here are my suggestions regarding how to change the bonuses of Great Works. Since people like the historical aspect of things, I'll try to find something related to its historical object. Let's start with the Ancient Great Works.

Cyrus Cylinder​
As it is now, it is 10% of defense. I suppose that was a way to represent the reconstruction of Babylon Walls, but in all honestly, with the arrival of K-mod, more defenses aren't useful at all. Period. More defenses mean the stacks will roam around and pillage everything, killing the very use of that 10%. Instead, here what I propose:

• All cities get +1 :c5happy: to represent the liberties that the city-states have.
  • OR additional diplomatic attitude (like +3) to every jewish nation. As historically, Cyrus was seen as the second messiah beside Moses.

I would disagree with you somewhat on city defense - it is still quite a lot of help against the barbarians at the very least. Still, I see how a different effect could be preferable. Perhaps +1 happiness could work, but wouldn't it make it a no-brainer instead?

Mask of Agamemnon​
1) 10% :commerce: to all jewelries if gold is hooked (or traded).

I'd rather stay within the confines of existing XML tags. There is currently no way to make the exact effect you are suggesting. BTW, I think we currently underuse the mechanics that allows us to modify the +output of buildings and improvements (food, gold, science, hammers, whatnot).

Bust of Nefertiti​
Since it is related to Akhenaten, the pharaoh that tried to destroy traditional gods to promote his father special God called Aten (a Sun-God), let's try this:

1) Convert a certain number of cities to Solar Cult for two AI's (basically favoring them into Solar Cult) if State Religion is Solar Cult. This one is a special bonus as Nefertiti Bust tends to go early. Also that +1 :food: to pagan temples.

2)Otherwise, the base bonus is +2 :hammers: to Solar Cult buildings (a mini Apostolic Palace just for one civ and the Apo. Palace can be cumulative). Even without Sun Cult yet. That hammer bonus is supposed to represent the power of artisans of Solar Cult.

I'd rather not make GWs dependent on any particular religion - or it will limit their usefulness. Alternatively, we could use one for every religion out there. And once again, let's stick to already existing XML tags. +2 hammers seems too much to me (and I think I already nerfed the AP as well).

Gate of the Sun​
This Tiwanaku stone monolith is believed to be an astronomical and astrological tool.
Thus I propose:

1) Enable observatories millenia before and cheapen them by 20%. Indeed, Transoxian civ already have it earlier, but most civ will get earlier benefit and even cheaper (since ancient era is not really capable to afford a 300 :hammers: building).

2) Gives a settled GScientist and a free observatory/academy?.

Once again, we can't do any of that yet.

Anyways, suggestions people? Let's discuss something else than just your own bugs pls. :D

Might I suggest that this discussion moves to our subforum to keep things organized and not drowned in other stuff? There is another thread that suggests tweaks to GW effects there, and I also like quite a lot of ideas from there.

• Routes are still undocumented, although they have pages now.
  • The page about Judaism misspells "Temple of Solomon".
  • Lots of technologies, civics, and other things aren't linked despite pages for them existing (see any terrain improvement, for example)
  • World:Improvements:Cottage links to Buildings:Great Wonders:Hamlet instead of the expected World:Improvements:Hamlet
  • World:Improvements:Farm (and Slave Farm and Mechanized Farm) have dead links to Help:Concepts:Irrigation
  • "Well" and "Well (Gas)" should probably be renamed to "Oil Well" and "Natural Gas Well"
  • Similarly, "Offshore Platform" and "Offshore Platform (Gas)" should probably be called "Offshore Oil Platform" and "Offshore Gas Platform" respectively, or perhaps just "Oil Platform" and "Gas Platform".
  • "Cow" is a little odd, since the word refers to a single female bovine. Unfortunately, English has an odd lexical gap, in that it doesn't have a word for one cow or bull. Perhaps rename "Cow" to "Cattle", and rename "Pig" to "Pigs" and "Horse" to "Horses" ("Sheep" can remain as is, since that serves as both singular and plural. English.)
  • U.N. Resolutions for Global Civics need to be adjusted to match the names of the civics. I seem to remember that one of the civics was missing from 3.1's U.N. Resolutions, so someone should doublecheck that, too.
  • The Carthaginian distinct unit "Punic Horseman" doesn't upgrade to anything. It's odd to be able to build them in the Future era.

Thanks, most of that is now fixed.

I noticed an Ironworks replacing a Blast Furnace and lowering net hammer production. I am unsure how that happened.

That might have happened if you have no iron (and power). It is a rather marginal case, but possible.

The Archery Training tech doesn't require Archery as a prerequisite. I don't think that will ever actually be a problem, it just struck me as odd.

:) Fixed.

A suggestion for a new resource to provide minor production bonuses: Rubber. It was present in Civ3 as a resource in jungles. The real-life history of rubber production is pretty interesting. Brazil tried to monopolize rubber trees (people were executed for trying to export rubber tree seeds), but someone succeeded in smuggling seeds to England, where they were promptly distributed to the rest of the empire, and thus around the world. I think this would fit neatly with the R.I. cultivation and resource discovery mechanics.

It is problematic to add any more map-spawned resources to RI. We have already reached the point where certain map generators can't allocate all the resources when creating a map.

I noticed there are no military traditions for naval units. Perhaps there should be one for sailing units, at least?

Seafaring trait acts almost exactly as naval tradition would. Having actual naval tradition combined with that could create unfairly large advantages.

The upgrade from railway to electric railway is quite small. Maybe each railway should give a -0.25 health penalty in nearby cities, and electric railways should remove that penalty?

Currently, AI is actually very dumb when it comes to choosing routes. It automatically builds the latest available. This means that without giving AI any facilities to really evaluate pros and cons, we shouldn't create routes that give disadvantages.

BTW, you should cut that crap of Raging Barbarians out of World Map options...

As a matter of fact, Raging Barbarians option for the World Map doesn't really matter. Almost all of both World Maps are fogbusted from the start, and thus the only barbarians players will encounter in any significant numbers are either pre-placed or produced by barbarian cities. It could be turned off and nobody would notice the difference.

Some observations/questions:

I’m still getting the hang of the food math, but I see the AI Civs switching back and forth from Agrarian to Pastoral Nomads and back again all the time. Not sure I understand what’s driving that – do they recalc the benefits after every turn?

AI is pretty smart on when to switch in/out of nomadism. They might be getting hold of/losing some relevant resources, which prompts them to reconsider their strategy.

I admit that I do miss the Culture Bomb, but I like the new model of Great Works much better. However, it appears that the scenario (Large Earth) disables cities flipping from Culture. So I have some neighboring cities that are 75% or more my culture, surrounded by spaces I control. And of course they are starving.

City flipping from culture is enabled in all our scenarios. You must have just been very unlucky with your rebellion chances.

A possible modification for future editions that I’ve mentioned before on this thread is that it would be ideal if WALLS could fix borders so that, regardless of the cultural percentage, you kept control of the 8 adjacent spaces (and CASTLES could expand that to the next 12). The percentage of alien population would still factor into unrest/happiness, but you would be able to exploit resources and distribute some population.

As addressed by others before my reply, this wouldn't be a very realistic thing to do, especially if tied to buildings within the city.

Lastly, I would also agree with the comment from Ununcle who was concerned about the Barbarian strength in Asia on the Large Earth map. While the European Civs are getting killed off by other AI Civs, half the Asian Civs get destroyed by the Barbarians before the Mongols can even get their engine going. Also, on the Large map, I noticed the Persians get stuck with one city and can’t grow. You may want to review that.

When I played on the Huge Map in 3.1, I routinely edited the starting world to eliminate a large number of the minor and barbarian cities (I did that both to speed up play and give the AI Civ’s more room to grow). I might try something similar on the 3.2 Large map and see if that creates any monster Civs.

Trying a somewhat "cleaner" map is actually an idea I like. I'll research this...

The worldbuilder is already outdated, and teamedit screen has an error :D

Oops. I'll be sure to update it.

Roman Milizia Comunale has white armor, some missing graphics

Looks very much like you have a below-spec GPU. You see, since a lot of units in RI are community-made, some of them only have shader-enabled models. And when I found out these wouldn't work for people with certain video cards (mostly integrated Intel chipsets), it was already too late to hunt them down - especially since I didn't have a system with such a video card at hand where I could easily see what units cause problems. So currently we have to declare that our mod is incompatible with certain older video cards, even if they can run Civ 4 itself...

The installer always has some integrity failure for me... is there any way I could download a rar?

Not really, but you can try alternative download locations. It looks like your download just doesn't finish properly, and you have an incomplete installer. For example, try ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/realism-invictus/downloads

i have feudal contract but nobody is offering vassal state or capitulation... did something change..?

For certain scenarios, vassalization was disabled. In world maps, it was done to discourage people from vassalizing uncivilized natives, because they are intended to be conquered. In the Crusades scenario it was disabled to avoid ridiculous situations like the Pope peacefully pledging allegiance to Saladin (which happened all the time).

In fact, not really. Having a bunch of AI's peacevasaling 2-3 AI's is much more scary than a "No Vassals" game. It's definitely longer to reach a win, but helps the human against some bugging features like peacevassalings. And since the +1 :c5happy: is taken out and tech trade is disabled, honestly, vassals are almost useless by now. perhaps some buffer zones where enemy stacks pillage their lands instead of yours, but a well-placed city with just farms and mines will do the same job without being too much pillage (as the AI stacks of K-mod tend to roam around a specific city only).

And to raise others' voices from other parts of the forums, I have heard many times saying that disabling vassals make the game easier. It's not just me who says it.

Indeed. We may turn it back on if we do something to make vassals less annoying.

Cyrus Cylinder​
  • +10 :culture: and +2 :c5happy: for the city receiving the Great Works (To represent the satisfaction that Cyrus' decree has made)

Sorry I addressed some of those above, forgetting while writing this megapost that an updated version exists. This one, with +2 happiness to one city, I find much more balanced.

Mask of Agamemnon​

1) +10:culture: and 5% (gold)+5% (silver)+5% (gems) +5% (amber):commerce: to the city jewelry

Hm, I actually like the alternative suggestion of a plain military production increase better (see the suggestion thread).

Bust of Nefertiti​
That bust is colored by a bunch of different dyes:
Then how about that Great Works pleased to much the Pharaoh (or equivalently the king) that he commissioned more of them for decades later and a artistic dynasty was born.
+10 :culture:
3% :hammers: for iron
2% :hammers: for copper
5% :hammers: for dyes
for a total of 10% :hammers:. Not too much, not too shabby.

Why hammers? Actually I think current effect is both fun and historically correct, as in Ancient Egypt, temples were the hubs of taxation, and taxes were levied in grain. More love for the rulers (known to most subjects only from depictions, thus the effect a brilliant depicition would have) equals ability to levy more taxes.

Gate of the Sun​
1) 10:culture: +25% :science:.

Now, why % for :hammers: are lower than commerce and :commerce: % lower than that 25% :science: in those different Great Works : the reason is simple. The types of multipliers aren't equally weighted.
[/U][/B][/COLOR]
What do you think? C'mon it's gonna only take 5 mins of your time or even much less. Don't want me to represent everyone, then oppose a little. It's not I'm asking a report of 100 lines. ;)

Don't push us, we work (and reply) at our own pace. ;)

The +science thingy I like quite a lot, but I'd rather leave the current bonus, and add +1 science from pagan temples to it. This way, it's a two-part wonder, science is quite transient (until pagan temples expire), culture more permanent.

Second part due to character limit.

Ajanta Cave Frescoes​
1)+10 :culture: +10% (base) + 10% (state religion is buddism) + 5% (dyes) :science:

Once again, we either give one wonder to each religion, or none at all. I actually favor the second approach, as I'm not sure AI is able to adequately evaluate the need to construct a particular religion-linked GW.

Nataraja​
1) +10:culture: +1% :hammers: for every bronze resource up to five. +5% :hammers: if under Hindu state religion.

My feeling is that giving the original bonus +1 hammer to bronze forges is actually both more elegant and significant (for 1% bonus to amount to even 1 hammer, a city has to have 100 base production!) than what you suggest.

Discobolus​
1)+10 :culture: +5% :hammers: +5%:culture: for marble to every arena building in the empire

Original statue was made of bronze. Also, the effect "+% for a resource to a building" requires new XML tags IIRC.

Along the River​
Finally, more use for cotton resource!
1) +10 :culture: +5% (cotton) +5 (silk) :commerce:

This might be a nice flavor addition. I like it.

Wayang​
1) 10:culture: +5% (for cattle; to represent leather made puppets) +5% (timber; wooden puppets) :commerce: as it thrives in popularity amongst high class population in the city theater.

Actually, I think that giving bonus culture to theaters is quite a powerful effect: unlike other cases, the main point of theatre is culture production, and this GW makes it 50% more effective. Maybe we could throw in additional +1 :) from timber and cotton in that city, for more flavor.

Maybe having GW's that interact with civics could be a possibility? Like, Triumph of the Will gives happiness with Dictatorship and 1984 gives happiness with Democracy.

I wouldn't go there for the sake of AI. I'm not willing to force the poor guy into such complex strategic decisions.

edit: Not to be argumentative but the differences between Despotism and Monarchy still don't quite make sense to me. Monarchy is supposed to represent a king with restricted power but absolutism is attached to Monarchy as well. And Despotism mostly represents non-European monarchs from the medieval era on, but Divine Right is attached to it which is a European tradition.

Yes, I guess Absolutism is, to some extent, a relic of an older time when there was no Monarchy/Despotism dichotomy. Then again, we must understand that Absolutism in Europe arose exactly as a reaction to limited power monarchs wielded before, and in turn was usually replaced by limited forms of monarchy within a couple of generations, and thus can be considered a legitimate evolutionary stage in European monarchic tradition.

Divine right to rule is a concept not exclusive to European tradition; if you want a non-european flavor, we could rename it "Mandate of Heaven", but in practice it would be the same.

I've been testing the mod for some time and I wrote down some suggestions over time which I want to share with the community and the developers. Some of these changes aim to make the game even more difficult and challenging:

1. The guild monopoly civic is far inferior compared to merchant princes. With its special building and great wonder, it is about as good as the merchant princes. Therefore I think the guild hall should give +1 :hammers: to workshops, which will make the guild monopoly an early version of the protectionism. Also the guild monopoly civic might give bonus for the industrial plantations, just as the merchant princes giving a bonus to normal plantations.

That's an interesting suggestion. Will be considered.

2. In most of my games, the religion spread seems to be too quick. Almost all cities cities have 3-5 religions by the time they reach the renaissance. This means, monasticism and free religion are the only real choices. Therefore, let's decrease the missionary success rate and also implement the religion decay (unpopular religions disappearing with the time), as in some other mods.

To be sure, are you mostly playing World Map or random maps? It is very hard to balance religion spread speed to work well for both.

3. With 3 :food: eaten per citizen, the effect of unhealthiness became even less important. The effect of the unhealthiness might be strenghtened in the following way: ...

Interesting, but you are forgetting that unhealth has a dramatic effect on epidemic chance, which you almost never have in excess.

4. tech diffusion: Tech diffusion is indeed one of the most important concepts in Realism Invictus. The idea is simply excellent. However, the execution is a bit poor. As the whole Civilization game revolves around the scientific progress, the tech diffusion should have been modelled much more detailed. Because at the moment, there are two types of AI civs for me: The ones I like which would sign open borders when they're cautious, the the ones I don't like, who wouldn't. I think the tech diffusion rate should be calculated in according to following:
a) whether you have an open border or not.
b) how good the relationship between civs is
c) the distance between capitals - the ideas would spread much slower between -let's say- between Mali and Japanese than French and Spanish
d) whether the civilizations share same civics and religions - This will add an interesting aspect to diplomacy: At the moment the AI constantly keeps asking us to adept useless religions and civics, even he wouldn't have any direct benefit at all, if we adept this specific civic or religion. After this change, having same civics with an technologically advanced neighbour might become a desirable option.
e) the comparison of espionage points: The one who has more espionage points will benefit from tech diffusion more.
f) ...

In theory you are right, but in practice implementing that would mean a real lot of additional in-between turn calculations, which would have a significant negative impact on performance.

5. Tech transfer from conquest: In the current system, being peaceful and trying to keep making open border agreements eall the times is the key for success in long term. Let's give the players a choice between war and peace, by letting the tech from conquest much stronger. During the crusades, the European learned much from the Arabians. Cities and provinces changed hands constantly, which allowed a great interaction between both cultures. An interaction that is as strong and influential as in peace time. Therefore, conquering an important (large) city at least until medieval times should almost always result in an acquired tech to demonstrate this interaction accurately, in my opinion.

Doesn't it already work that way? Tech conquest from taking important cities is already pretty strong.

6. I don't like the idea, that the city center provides 4 :food:. In contrary it should provide much less, and here is the explanation: The very first civilizations thrived in the Mesopotamia and along the Nile, where they could grow crops. In the Realism Invictus however, your ancient civilization will thrive only if you have gold, fur or elephants in its radius. In Immortal difficulty, your capital will reach size 3, the other cities only to 2. So you don't really need crops (well, unless you want to train a lot of weak shortswordsmen). By decreasing the :food: given by city tile to 1, your early civilization would have to research irrigation and start building farms much quicker in order to allow the cities to grow further and afford further citizens to work in mines etc. If you think 1 :food: on city tile is way too low, then we may give the granary +1 :food: . Together with the hunting lodge, the city will produce 3 :food: initially, so the city will become self sustaining at least.

There is some truth to what you're saying. Lately, I've been thinking that we are indeed imposing too strict a penalty on early happiness, thus making food production early on too irrelevant. That's a good point and it will be considered.

7. Special event: Drought. Just as Pandemic strikes your cities, Drought might strike them too. I recently read, how the long term famines influenced the history of ancient egypt so greatly. Just like the pandemic, drought should be a building that appears for some turns, causing farms and slave farms to produce -3 food each (to make sure, that your city will lose some of its population hehehe) Again, this change should stress the importance of having and irrigating a crop around your city. Your city can endure the drought, or at least recover a lot quicker from it.

Cruel, but I like it.

8. Revolting units might come in greater numbers and start with Commando. This way, they will be much annoying and may discourage you from slavery or serfdom. Now, I like running those civics, because the rebels provide a lot of experience and Great General points. Then you have to make sure that ALL of your cities are well defended.

There are already people who never run slavery/serfdom due to having to deal with rebels. I think they are balanced well enough as they are now.

9. Greek Water Wheel: ...

We'll think about it, but in truth I don't find that too much of an issue...

I've noticed what seems to be an odd graphical bug with the ocean terrain in World Builder.

Sometimes when loading a map, I like to amend it by breaking up big continents (Especially where there's an unpopulated New World, to allow circumnavigation). But when I do, I get these weird graphical glitches when turning tiles into ocean. Here's a screenshot of what I mean, where I have used world builder to turn some land tiles (near where the ice was connecting to the land at the top of the picture) into coast. As you can see the ocean is blurry and untextured. Any ideas?

That's what you get for placing coasts next to deep oceans. It is simply not a supported graphical transition, and thus tends to look weird. Still works, though.

1. I agree with you on Guild Monopoly: it is far weaker than other competing civics. I've found the same with Civil Service and Caste System -- has anyone found a use for them? If so, I'd love to hear it so I don't feel stuck playing the same way every time.

Civil service is a better option for a builder-type play where you don't need to build a lot of units in the near future. It gets added awesome with colosseum wonder. I actually tend to use caste system a lot myself, as it not only allows for a somewhat happier population (which can lead to significantly better economy), but also (especially at war) doesn't keep a part of your military tied up hunting rebels.

8. Personally, I've found the revolting units to be more of a headache than anything else, though they do provide helpful experience. The most ridiculous thing I've seen is slaves spawning with better weapons than my own armies! How can slaves have muskets when my nation hasn't even researched the requisite technology? That's plain silly.

If you reached Renaissance era, you already know black powder. So it is reasonable to assume they have at least some early gunpowder-based handguns, if not muskets per se. Anyway, that era saw a dramatic increase of staying power that armed common folks had on the battlefield against older feudal-based armies even when gunpowder weapons weren't directly involved; consider, for instance, hussites.

All I see is I'm making efforts for either being ignored (or strongly opposed, but I don't mind since it's part of the discussion) or being berated because I'm imposing too much my ideas and talking too much. Because seriously, the only corrollary I see of those reactions is STFU.

Hey, as you can see I only post here about once a week sometimes. That doesn't mean that you're being ignored. As for arguing with you, I can understand why some people don't really wish to do that. :D

10. Just like we have three types of plantations (industrial, food crop and normal) we can have two types of mines: normal mines, and precious metal mines...

While this adds another improvement to an already long list, the logic behind this suggestion is sound. We'll consider that. After all, the value of gold before, for instance, currency should be much lower than later on.

also, why does the AI austronesian never expand past his first city?

This question is driving me nuts. I really don't know why and I am very frustrated by that.

So its working as intended? That's crazy (and dumb). Is this present on all difficulty settings?

It doesn't seem particularly realistic, for a start, and is extremely frustrating for the player.

We're working on countering that. I can't promise it will be fixed in 3.2.1, but we know something should be done there.

I toyed with the idea and yes, it's true it makes no sense (in term of realism) how hammers and commerce are king during the very early stages.

The problem lies in excessive food has no use. While a low food capital, which can always be resolved in RI thanks to its stronger farms, one prefers to not reach the happy cap lest to start getting angry citizens, which can't really be ridden through slavery whips as it tends to make things worse.

And yes, if one has deer, furs, elephants, minerals, you got the best capital for the early game for the following reasons:

1) Best beeline of techs: Toolmaking==>Mineral Lore==>Stone Cutting, allowing slow growth, good production and earliest access to strong early wonders that enhance your economy.
2) Easy access to Archery in case
3) Can spot minerals before others

And that is true it makes no sense because earliest forms of civilizations didn't thrive on luxuries like that. It's not like the extraction is done without effort: it needed workforce that doesn't cultivate and and needed to be fed.

Here comes the most realistic idea that could help a little. A new type of specialist (or redesign the terrible Citizen specialist). As the excerpts note, surpluses of food gave the chance of a civilization to start specialized form of work: Artisans.
And there we have the solution to pure food capital interesting in production (and perhaps commerce).

That new specialist, the Artisan, is a former form of the better specialists that give :gp: The Artisan gives NO :gp: but higher return in production and commerce.

What I suggest is the Artisan giving 4 :hammers: Of course, that is still under discussion what it will bring, but it must bring a better ratio that the early citizen because any rational player will see that spending 3:food: for getting only 1 :hammers: make no sense as almost every available tile will be better.

Actually, we have plans that very much mimic this line of thought. We didn't implement them for 3.2, since it would take a long while to balance right, but in short, moving the main productive force to within the city (and much more radically so after the industrial revolution) is on our to-do list.

Here are my PC specs, do you guys think I will be able to run a standard size random map on my PC (till the late game)?

Windows XP SP1
Pentium Dual Core E5300 with 2.6GHz
1 GB RAM

Just went through the manual, the ideas are great :D

You didn't list the two most important stats: your GPU and whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

yes I think trained archers is a little strong. especially when you found islam and have trained archer mujahiddim :D

Hum-hum, we might have to nerf that...

And one thing that should be changed immediately because it's broken is the unhappiness spy missions. Cost too low and literally famish a city down to size 1. It's too overpowered, trust me!

Aaaaaaand done!

Hi there, I'm really enjoying this mod, it is a great improvement of the game without touching to core gameplay too much. I would, however, like to see some of the 'non-playable' civs to be playable, particularly I would very much appreciate a playable Israel, also modeled after the modern state of Israel (leaders could be fx Ben-Gurion, Menachen Begin or Shimon Peres), perhaps in RI 3.3?

That might happen, but don't hold me to my word. We are very conservative when it comes to adding playable civs to RI, and while Israel has many strong points to speak for it, it has a very obvious and almost 2000 year-long discontinuity across half the game eras, which could only be filled by fantasy units.

Indeed, very surprised I haven't seen this and even more that Walter Walkwood said to me there is simply no mean at all to play unplayable civs when the file was there.

I said there was no easy way. And there still isn't. What you get through this action is a half-baked civ that has no NI, only one NU, one leader, lacks a lot of other stuff and can't even build settlers. I wouldn't call it a playable civ.

Thx for the back up.

How'bout a new type of hammer process but with food instead?

Instead of converting hammers into something else, perhaps food into hammers or commerce (with a ratio of less than 1:1).

It's simple to code, will symbolicly represent the mass of artisans and make our early growth limited, preserving the city population under the happy cap.
As it is for now, making workers after workers, or settlers or food 4:strength: warriors will dwindle the economy more and more.

An interesting concept. While I doubt it is immediately useful as suggested, I think there is something in this idea that could be further developed.

Don't push us, we work (and reply) at our own pace. ;)

In fact, it wasn't directed to the main modders at all. I never push a modder in the corner. I know they do the work and us, lurkers or not, take it all.
And if that is done, one ends up like StrategyOnly. Don't know what happened to the guy to be so irritated and so easily, but I wouldn't be surprised it is caused by the fanbase. Like it or not, it's not easy to deal with some lurkers sometimes. :(

It was directed to the fanbase. Ahnarras didn't want me, one that talks a lot, to be taken too much seriously for the game changes. Thus, that notice was to balance my voice by saying: "Hey, don't want this mod to be changed to my tastes, say something people". Of course, it didn't work and I'm not slightly surprised. In fact, more and more people are growingly annoyed by my presence these times. Anyways, what I can I do? We can't please everyone on this planet.

Anyways, btw, thank you Walter. It meant a lot that I was heard because with all the opposition I got and the scarce to none support, I was feeling a tad down. ;)

I'd rather not make GWs dependent on any particular religion - or it will limit their usefulness. Alternatively, we could use one for every religion out there. And once again, let's stick to already existing XML tags. +2 hammers seems too much to me (and I think I already nerfed the AP as well).

You sure?

Being three times better than before, I reap 30 :hammers: just out of religious buildings. I admit, I like it so much. And I admit I was a tad reluctant to report it because it feels so to have a building whose returns make the investment worth it.
Yeah, I suppose it is a bug. And surprised no one pointed it out. Or maybe not. Whatever.

I would disagree with you somewhat on city defense - it is still quite a lot of help against the barbarians at the very least. Still, I see how a different effect could be preferable. Perhaps +1 happiness could work, but wouldn't it make it a no-brainer instead?

True, thus, I'll rethink about it. And all other Great Works. I'll see what the XML gives me as possibilities and try to be as much historical as possible.

Might I suggest that this discussion moves to our subforum to keep things organized and not drowned in other stuff? There is another thread that suggests tweaks to GW effects there, and I also like quite a lot of ideas from there.

In fact, I stuck here because I felt it was rather deserted over there.

As a matter of fact, Raging Barbarians option for the World Map doesn't really matter. Almost all of both World Maps are fogbusted from the start, and thus the only barbarians players will encounter in any significant numbers are either pre-placed or produced by barbarian cities. It could be turned off and nobody would notice the difference.

Really? Oh well, then, I shouldn't have bought what others said to me because the game in which you see the AP bug was a huge strain as barbarian waves were so numerous. It made me stuck with one city for 3000 years. I decided to play with Raging Barbs because others said I played with skewed options, but it seems it wasn't that true. Still, it was an interesting gameplay as it made me learnt how to deal efficiently K-mod AIs and barbarians.

Indeed. We may turn it back on if we do something to make vassals less annoying.
No need. Just make a note in the scenario description on how to turn vassals on.

The +science thingy I like quite a lot, but I'd rather leave the current bonus, and add +1 science from pagan temples to it. This way, it's a two-part wonder, science is quite transient (until pagan temples expire), culture more permanent.

With the Stonehenge not obsoleting so early, it makes Paganism a true contender to other religious civics for its inherent +2 :c5happy: and thus pagan temples enhancement are welcomed.

Hey, as you can see I only post here about once a week sometimes. That doesn't mean that you're being ignored. As for arguing with you, I can understand why some people don't really wish to do that.

As said, this was directed to the fanbase. I don't like making agression on the makers of something that gives us entertainment. We owe them and not the contrary.

wait a second... if I start as a new world civ on the huge world map and settle the very last island on the Aleutians, will that allow me to cross over to the old world?

wait a second... if I start as a new world civ on the huge world map and settle the very last island on the Aleutians, will that allow me to cross over to the old world?

Screenshot pls.
I don't know what's going on, but I suspect you are talking about city culture over ocean tiles, allowing coastal ships to bridge between the two Worlds.

I know that the mod RFC world map attemped to represent that with the Vikings as settling on Iceland bridged the two Worlds and fulfilled the UHV of to be the first to settle the New World.

I'm bad at computers, I don't want to figure out how to put a screenshot on here. I'm pretty sure that is possible from looking at the map. it's not possible to get from iceland to greenland, however

Ok ok, I'll look at it. Just give the map coordinates by hovering your cursor over the island.
EDIT: I can't open them. Weird. It needs my SVN, which will take 20 mins to load.

I'll say how to put an image here and it's up to you:
Simplest steps ever that take only 2-3 mins overall:

1)There is in the most upper row of keys of the keyboard one called Prt Scrn (Print Screen). Do it while screening the place you want a screenshot.
2) Open bitmap (everyone has it) and paste there and save.
3) Go on imgur and upload. The upload button is at the upper right.
4)In the links, take the fourth one (BBCode) and paste it into your post.

Otherwise, I can't do much. C'mon its easy. ;)

nice, it does seem as though cultural victory may be the correct way to go

perhaps with an emphasis on culture you could convert the tribal cities? along with espionage??

In my game the tribal cities had an extremely high tolerance to culture. In NA I razed most of the cities I captured since they aren't in ideal locations and the Natives build very little improvements in them to begin with, so to start with a brand new city isn't much of a set-back for a better location.

I don't know how effective espionage would have been. I spied very little that game, since really it was only me and the Incas (who weren't a threat at all) for half of the game. I even cancelled opened boarders with them after they fell behind tech-wise to ensure that they'd be an easy target later.

Thanks. :)

Dune Wars have an interesting "domination" victory called Holy War Victory. Instead of having to control the required normal amount of land, you can control less and still win if your religion is spread a certain percentage. Its nice for warmongering in big maps as long you're willing to invest some hammers into missionaries.

I like this idea!

sorry tachy too lazy.

has anyone ever put anything inside of a reconnaissance car? what is the point of this? it is kind of a mysterious unit to me, like the gunboat. what is it for??

should there be a limit to how many observatories you can build? there seem to be diminishing returns on how much you can learn from stargazing. as it is it is too much exactly the same as a university

edit: nothing like a tank to take care of that pesky tribal fort problem :D

perhaps the upkeep costs on battleships (ie predreadnaughts et al) should be increased? +1 gold per turn is negligible by the time you get them

Ok, heres my latest gripe on unit balance which I have already modified in my game, and I'm happy with the results.
The medium cavalry are a flavor of light cavalry, but they are played completely differently as you can tell my their stats. One thing that was overlooked was the archers vs. medium cavalry. Since medium cavalry are technically light cavalry, archers get a massive 110% bonus against them. This is incredibly awkward to me, since I'd consider medium cavalry to be a counter to archers, not the other way around.

For those who ever played the total war series (try the total realism mod with medieval 2 :D) you'd know that cavalry are a powerful hard counter to archers, and you need spears to protect the archers so that horsemen can't run the archers down. In exchange the archers will protect the spears from those nasty horse archers.
Of all the mounter units, those of the 'medium' variety were easily the strongest counter to achers, because they were so fast. Now, archers would surely kill a few as they charge, but its nothing compared to the slaughter witnessed when they meet the achers in melee.

To make more realistic balance I gave all medium cavalry varients a hefty +50% bonus vs archers, and gave them a -50% penalty vs cities in exchange. Medium cavalry really don't add much to assaulting walls. This allows medium cavalry to reliably kill archers caught out in the open as they should.

oh dear... if you get a MAF crash, are you definitely unable to complete that game? I was so close to winning...

I have a 64 bit OS. What's the best way to upgrade my computer to prevent that from happening? more memory?

edit: hmm well I got past the place where it died the first time, let's hope I can finish the game... try again tomorrow!

oh dear... if you get a MAF crash, are you definitely unable to complete that game? I was so close to winning...

I have a 64 bit OS. What's the best way to upgrade my computer to prevent that from happening? more memory?

edit: hmm well I got past the place where it died the first time, let's hope I can finish the game... try again tomorrow!
This is a shot in the dark, but I think its RAM dependent, and you might be able to help the situation simply by freeing up more ram. You can hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and end unnecessary processes and services, and/or run msconfig.exe.
If your lazy or unsavvy with computers you can simply run the game through Razor's Game Booster, which is a free program that automatically shuts down unnecessary processes and services when you open a game.

It is problematic to add any more map-spawned resources to RI. We have already reached the point where certain map generators can't allocate all the resources when creating a map.
Ok. Perhaps an industrial or late renaissance era improvement for jungles that has a good chance of spawning a natural-rubber resource? Now I understand why specific spices are not a good idea.

Seafaring trait acts almost exactly as naval tradition would. Having actual naval tradition combined with that could create unfairly large advantages.
This works well in scenarios, but is not fun when a random map and random leader combines to give you a land-locked capital for a seafaring civilization. Perhaps I'm biased by how often I play random maps, but I would prefer to have a naval tradition and a less militarily-powerful seafaring trait.

Currently, AI is actually very dumb when it comes to choosing routes. It automatically builds the latest available. This means that without giving AI any facilities to really evaluate pros and cons, we shouldn't create routes that give disadvantages.
I'm well aware of the A.I.'s behavior in this case. Would the opposite be more palatable? (Have electric railroads provide +0.25 health.) Also, what about giving highways the same bonuses to tile production as railroads? That could only help the A.I.s, and would make highways interesting again.

To be sure, are you mostly playing World Map or random maps? It is very hard to balance religion spread speed to work well for both.
In your opinion, is it better balanced for one or the other right now?

I saw the merchant inheritance event again, and got a screenshot this time:

About the net chance of epidemic when upgrading a building: I've observed this for Aqueducts replacing Wells, now. The game reports no change in epidemic chance, when it should be -1.5%. If my calculations are correct, a clinic obsoleting a bath and an epidemic colony should result in a net effect of +1.5%, but the game reports +3.0%. So this is still a bug, I think, unless it's already fixed in the SVN.

There's a hint that says "If you know too many civs to fit on your scoreboard, you can tweak its vertical spacing in BUG options menu!". BUG is wonderful, but I expect there are many casual players out there who have tried R.I. but haven't heard of BUG. Nowhere on the interface does it say "BUG Options" (except perhaps in the credits). This is why I think this (and other similar hints) should be changed to reference the "Interface Options menu" instead of BUG. Either that, or change the "Interface Options" menu to the "BUG Interface Options" menu.

Also, more small bugs:
  • Python error when goody huts spawn hostile villagers and one or more of the surrounding squares is a mountain, lake, or ocean. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but the visible error is irritating.
  • Military: Doctrines:RiteOfPassage links to itself instead of Military:SpecialPromotions:RiteOfPassage
  • Ulugh Beg's first contact text has question-mark characters in it where there should be some sort of exotic characters, I think.
  • Konrad Adenaur's first contact text starts "Dear Konrad Adenaur," (I think it should be "Dear [Player Name here],")
  • The Elite Swordsman quest mentions the "middle ages". Shouldn't that be "the medieval era"?
  • The Grandmaster Blacksmith quest caused my sawmills to get +1 hammer instead of my forges. This may be intentional, since forges eventually get replaced, but if so, the text needs to be updated.
  • Tiles producing 10 food show 1 loaf of bread, which means they look exactly as if they are producing 5 food. (This might not be so easy to fix, I guess.)
The Shwedagon Paya wonder might be improved by removing the tech requirement for religious communities. Right now, the S.P. doesn't help much, since the main advantages of free religion and cult of personality don't become available until the techs they require have been researched, and the other religious civics are available early. I think making the missionary units available early might be too much, but just the buildings would make the S.P. to switch to Free Religion much more attractive.

Lastly, I am feeling the need for a line of anti-barbarian promotions for naval units. Please?

Is that possible that some AI cannot be peacevassaled at all because ,on the World Map, they are prone to be small and thus make allegiance fast?
Looking at the XML after seeing Alfred the Great refusing to be my vassal after all I have done to protect him and with +22 with him, I saw "We don't like you enough!". Well, a bit hard to surpass FRIENDLY.

And I saw this in the XML:

Code:
<VassalRefuseAttitudeThreshold>ATTITUDE_FRIENDLY</VassalRefuseAttitudeThreshold>
Meaning he'll never peacevassal. I admit that it shocked me because capitulation can be while peacevassaling not.

Just to reassure me, it was intended to balance the World Map, right?

Ofc, I changed the value because if I knew, I would have attacked him instead of protecting him and waiting my power raises enough to vassalize him and not let it right into the hands of Alp Arslan who got his peacevassals at no cost.

Now, take that, unfair game:

I do that because K-mod AI when in Win mode (conqueror spree) will never accept peace bribery for an AI, so I had to passively accept his capitulation, which is quite unrequiting I think. While Alfred part of me as a vassal, the human, well, the conqueror K-mod AI won't refuse peace. Weird.

Top Bottom