Language translations for leader sayings

And actually when I hear people talking in foreign languages I like to listen, even though I don't understand a word.
:lol: So true of me too.
I think foreign languages are quite fascinating; in fact, my hope is to eventually be trilingual. The only language I don't find interesting in the slightest is my native language: English.

So I too think that the leaders speaking their native languages is a neat enhancement to the game. Sure, it could be like Civ4 and the leaders don't talk at all. I wouldn't mind that. Or it could have all the leaders speaking English, at which I would cringe, since people like Alexander never even heard of English, much less spoke it.
Or we could have it like it is right now: With the leaders speaking foreign languages, and you know, who cares if they're insulting me in Aramaic? It's not like I can tell the difference anyway. And that's just the way I like it. :)

:lol: So true of me too.
I think foreign languages are quite fascinating; in fact, my hope is to eventually be trilingual. The only language I don't find interesting in the slightest is my native language: English.

Lol. I thought I was the only one who thinking that. I'm the same way. I like foreign languages, but I find English a little plain and lackluster-like.

I personally rename all my cities to CITY 1 CITY 2 CITY 3 etc. because I feel that Firaxis wasted too many resources finding city names.

You may not be accustomed to it in your galaxy far far away, but there's something called "translation", and in the case of talks, "adaptation", we see it everyday in France particularly with american movies, and it wroks pretty well.

I even already saw the term "french" being employed in place of the term "english" or else, because the original works were english or else and that the context needed something like that. (I.E. "you don't speak english correctly" replaced by "you don't speak french correctly". But I saw it also for less obvious needs)

All that to say that I don't think it's offending to see people speak a language we understand, I think it is the other way around. ;)

Moderator Action: Please try to keep the discussion civil, such a tone may come across as offensive to some. This counts for all, and remember the topic of the thread

It's fashionable to criticize dubbing because dubbing sucks.

Aww well. :lol: No dubbing doesn't suck, much more people enjoy it than subtitles. It does have to be done by pros though.

This isn't really the question at play, but if you're looking at a dubbed movie, the performances are completely ruined by it. You wouldn't listen to foreign music dubbed, well it's the same with movie for me.

The performance are not ruined at all, especially if the voice matches well with the actor or the original voice, and that the performances are adapted to the language/culture. I think I will make you laugh by saying that "dubbed" music exists, many singers have created several versions of their musics, just because they thought lyrics were important. I feel the same, I hate listening an english song where I don't understand what is saying. The fact is, if music is not adaptated, it's because when in is it is in the most spoken language, it is to say english, and when you know that most musics are in this language, well, a lot of them at least, of course singers will not adapt english into english. If you like not understanding what is said and prefer the true "performance", missing half of what happens in screen, good for you, but please don't make this taste universal because it just sounds stupid.

Subtitles distract from the action, that's true enough, but it's still better than dubbing.

No it's not. As I already said, a lot more people prefer dubbing over subtitles, and I understand it very well, for the reason yourself specified. Subttitles are cool for people who learns a tongue, so they can accustom their ears to the true sense of the words. A very, very, small part of people prefers subtitles because they self-declare themselves "purists", which is completely out of the question, therefore they are elistists. If you have other questions, ask me, I will answer you with pleasure.

@ naukaokodem

As we have seen, there are lots of people who is appreciating this mark of flavor (and yes it is flavorful). It reminds me of a middle eastern folk tale I once heard, the moral of which is that you can't please everybody. http://www.worldstories.org.uk/stories/story/9-joha-and-his-donkey

Have your own opinion, but don't try to impose it on other people. And actually when I hear people talking in foreign languages I like to listen, even though I don't understand a word.

I'm not trying to impose my opinion to other people because I think I'm doing proof of good sense here. It's not an opinion. Or it's the one of the majority. It's prooved. I would rather say if you like not understanding a word of what the other leaders say, good for you, but stop trying to proove me i'm wrong, because you all are saying the same thing here, strangely there's not a single dissonance, so I believe you did a good job in this forum to forbid criticism, it's just like i am in the world of Brave New World (the book not the game), it's becoming scary, really dudes.

I personally rename all my cities to CITY 1 CITY 2 CITY 3 etc. because I feel that Firaxis wasted too many resources finding city names.

Stop on the offensive sarcasm, you know perfectly that city names requires a lot less effort than foreign speaches (death tongues for a good part of them :eek: ), and you can actually LEARN from them, which is not the case with the leaders rumble.

Moderator Action: Please try to keep the discussion civil, such a tone may come across as offensive to some. This counts for all, and remember the topic of the thread

I was just refering to the location he specified under his pseudonyme, if he doesn't want to say it perfect but stop trying to mock us because we just wanted to know. I was not intending to be offensive, what I think is offensive is that someone mysterious reported my post to the moderators instead of trying to really understand what I said, and also a moderator intervention is very offensive to me, for something that only "some people" took wrongly. I don't think opinions have to become official in such a way, really. So leave me alone please, thank you.

Moderator Action: If you have an issue with the way something has been moderated, please take it up with the moderator through PM. Forum rules strictly prohibit Public Discussion of Mod Action
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

If the civ leaders are dubbed in English, Firaxis will have to hire more voice actors for the other language versions (French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, etc)

I'm not sure what to think of an English speaking Wu Zetian (I'm Chinese American and understand basic Mandarin), if she speaks with an American accent, I would be like "Firaxis was lazy and couldn't bother to do an accent", if she has a Mandarin accent in English, I would be worried about it sounding inaccurate or stereotypical.

How about leaders who spoke long extinct languages? What kind of accent they will have? Nebuchadnezzar and Ashurbanipal having a generic "Middle Eastern/Arabic" accent I suppose,

I can visualize Askia speaking English with a Caribbean accent, and Pacal/Pachacuti/Montezuma with American Spanish accents :rolleyes:

If the civ leaders are dubbed in English, Firaxis will have to hire more voice actors for the other language versions (French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, etc)

That's pretty much all the reasoning there is to it.

Anyway, we are in desperate need of getting back on topic. Anyone willing to give the Shoshone translations another go? I might have the chance to later.

I'm not trying to impose my opinion to other people because I think I'm doing proof of good sense here. It's not an opinion. Or it's the one of the majority. It's prooved. I would rather say if you like not understanding a word of what the other leaders say, good for you, but stop trying to proove me i'm wrong, because you all are saying the same thing here, strangely there's not a single dissonance, so I believe you did a good job in this forum to forbid criticism, it's just like i am in the world of Brave New World (the book not the game), it's becoming scary, really dudes.

Lol. This is funny. Anyway, I'm not going to let this spoil my mood. I'll just point out that the majority means the more accepted opinion. And yes they are opinions, both of them. We can each have our own opinions and differ,... And that would just be natural. Like you said, it would be brave new world if there were no difference of opinion. But the majority clearly supports the languages. And I don't see how you've proven your opinion in any way. And there is no such thing as "forbidding criticism" on this forum, lol. I don't know a single person on this forum. And you are living proof that criticism isn't forbidden. I respect that you have a different opinion. But I disagree with you. We can have a civil debate. Anyway let's get back on topic. How would we find a Shoshone speaker?

Anyway let's get back on topic. How would we find a Shoshone speaker?

Too easy! Instead, I'm thinking we use this online dictionary and try to guess the spelling of the words! Next, we take a look at the grammar, and work it out from there...

...which is what I'm actually trying to do. :mischief:
It probably would be possible to work it out via Google Translate, but Shoshone isn't on it, so that makes it a lot more difficult.

Like you said, it would be brave new world if there were no difference of opinion.

Exactly how it seems to be on this forum except my own self. :rolleyes:

And I don't see how you've proven your opinion in any way.

I'm appealing to your good sense. It should be enough. :rolleyes:

Well, for my part, I live in the Wallonia, in Belgium (the french part of Belgium). And indeed, every movie are dubbed. Personnaly, I hete it. But a LOT of people I know prefer the dubbed version rather than the original. (strangely enough, most people who prefer original versions are people I met at university, and most people who prefer the dubbed are people I met in college ...). For me, it is one of the reasons the english level in France and Belgium are particularly low. People are not used to hear english, unlike the flemish neighbours, dutch or portuguese people which subtitle the movies.
On the other hand, dubbing in France is so important nowadays that there's a huge industry of it. Finishing it would ruin many many jobs ... And besides, if I'm critical towards french people, I'm also very critical towards english ones, because they also dub foreign movies : It always made me laugh to see the first Asterix movie in english when I on the TV. It just sounded ridiculous.
However, never listen to a dub made before the 90's. They were just horrible.
So, the dub : intellectual sloth, or accessibility to everyone ? Perhaps both ? My opinion is already made, but that's not the point of the discussion.

About the leaders saying, certainly there should be a way to subtitle, or at least mention somewhere in the game files, what the leaders are saying in reality. Should they have make them speak only one language (or optionnally between the standards spanish, english, german and french), or keep the system as it is ? I way prefer as it is right now. Of course I don't understand what Askia, Darius or Ashurbanipal are saying. But, as a portuguese, I understood what Maria I and Pedro II were saying, and it made me smile. And I thought to myself, that I understood what these were saying, and that there were tons of players who didn't. But the contrary is true : there are people playing who understood Suleyman or Boudicca, while I don't get a word. And it is this diversity that this thread exists : to reunite people who are willing to share their knowledge of languages they understand. It is the creation of a community so diverse and yet so unite in the effort of exhaustion, to translate what each leader is saying.
And I'm sure it's not THAT hard to find people to speak a language : generally, they contact communities responsibles or university professors of that language.

Real language translations:

Alexander: nice meeting u, now i m gonna grab all the land around ur capital!!!

DIdo: Nice meeting u, i m gonna backstab u later on, have fun byebye

Catherine: I love meeting leaders from small civs that i can surround them with my large horse stables!

Gandhi: Nice meeting you, did u know that i can use nuke on u once i get angry? Bet u didnt realise that.

Shaka: DIE!

Attila: DIE!

Attila(if meet during industrial era and onwards): Relax i cant invade u cuz my tech is so bad and i only got horses while u got that cavalry thingy.

Pedro the santa: PREPARE TO GET FREEDOM-ED. NOW OPEN UR BORDERS SO I HAZ CULTURAL VIKTORIE

That siam guy i forgot the name: You like my pretty flower? <3

Haile Selassie: No point in developing your own religion cuz i m gonna dominate them all muahahaha

Washington: why am i even in this game =.=

Nebuchadnezzar: Grsh naw naw shthidis i dont understand a single word what i m saying

Sejong: I M GONNA OUT TECH U ALL! MUAHAHAHA

Genghis Khan: If you loyal 2 me, i be loyal to u. If u betray me, i gain one big empire, and thats urs

isabella: INB4 HOLY CRUSADE 2014

Mr Sun God of Teh holy sand city of Thebes: Dont bother rushing teh great library cuz i be getting it, along with the stonehenge, temple of artemis, the leaning tower etc etc

Wu Ze tian: &#27426;&#36814;&#26469;&#21040;&#24378;&#22823;&#30340;&#20013;&#22269;

Mr Oda: &#12371;&#12435;&#12395;&#12385;&#12399;, &#31169;&#12398;&#21517;&#21069;&#12399;Oda Nobunaga&#12391;&#12377;. I like de dragonballz, naruto, sword art online NOW UR LAND BELONGS TO ME MUAHAHAHA INVADE

Real language translations:

Alexander: nice meeting u, now i m gonna grab all the land around ur capital!!!

DIdo: Nice meeting u, i m gonna backstab u later on, have fun byebye

Catherine: I love meeting leaders from small civs that i can surround them with my large horse stables!

Gandhi: Nice meeting you, did u know that i can use nuke on u once i get angry? Bet u didnt realise that.

Shaka: DIE!

Attila: DIE!

Attila(if meet during industrial era and onwards): Relax i cant invade u cuz my tech is so bad and i only got horses while u got that cavalry thingy.

Pedro the santa: PREPARE TO GET FREEDOM-ED. NOW OPEN UR BORDERS SO I HAZ CULTURAL VIKTORIE

That siam guy i forgot the name: You like my pretty flower? <3

Haile Selassie: No point in developing your own religion cuz i m gonna dominate them all muahahaha

Washington: why am i even in this game =.=

Nebuchadnezzar: Grsh naw naw shthidis i dont understand a single word what i m saying

Sejong: I M GONNA OUT TECH U ALL! MUAHAHAHA

Genghis Khan: If you loyal 2 me, i be loyal to u. If u betray me, i gain one big empire, and thats urs

isabella: INB4 HOLY CRUSADE 2014

Mr Sun God of Teh holy sand city of Thebes: Dont bother rushing teh great library cuz i be getting it, along with the stonehenge, temple of artemis, the leaning tower etc etc

Wu Ze tian: &#27426;&#36814;&#26469;&#21040;&#24378;&#22823;&#30340;&#20013;&#22269;

Mr Oda: &#12371;&#12435;&#12395;&#12385;&#12399;, &#31169;&#12398;&#21517;&#21069;&#12399;Oda Nobunaga&#12391;&#12377;. I like de dragonballz, naruto, sword art online NOW UR LAND BELONGS TO ME MUAHAHAHA INVADE

This is the most accurate translation I have ever seen!:D

So we have almost everything already, but Indonesia's is still missing. I wish we could find something on that; it shouldn't be too difficult to find a Javanese speaker, even if it is Old Javanese.

So we have almost everything already, but Indonesia's is still missing. I wish we could find something on that; it shouldn't be too difficult to find a Javanese speaker, even if it is Old Javanese.
I'm Indonesian. Yes it's true that we got tons of Javanese speaker in here but it's a different case in old javanese. The usage of the language is limited in older form of poem and wayang show

I don't think we have Ethiopian yet either
We got it already in wiki : http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Haile_Selassie_(Civ5)
We just haven't got the Transliteration

I don't think we have Ethiopian yet either

Yes, and Shoshoni. Also the transliterations are missing for some of the other languages; that's what I'd really like to see. :)

I'm Indonesian. Yes it's true that we got tons of Javanese speaker in here but it's a different case in old javanese. The usage of the language is limited in older form of poem and wayang show

Is Old Javanese very different from its modern form?

I posted the Arabic transliteration for Harun but it seems morningcalm has abandoned this thread, and hasn't updated it in a long time.

Ah well. Real life takes priority after all, and we have quite the wealth of information here already. We could PM him about it.

Top Bottom