General A New Dawn discussion

As for getting the SVN to work for you see this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11736625&postcount=6

And while it Is possible to have more than 50Civ.dll the 32 bit game engine of CivIV/BtS would choke on it. Not recommended unless you are an accomplished C++ programmer and have Lots of time to get around the game engines limitations. Koshling talked about it before in some C2C discussions on this very subject and he runs his on Software Programming business. FYI Koshling is the programmer that developed Max Compatibility Save format, Viewports, Graphic paging, and kept C2C's AI afloat during the last 20 versions while the content mushroomed.

JosEPh

How backwards compatible is the SVN? I don't want to lose the game i'm currently playing.

Pretty far, not sure but I think we've had C2C players update from official v28 all the way to the official v34 with not problems as far as playability. Of course each successive revision will change what ever was updated in that revision.

After you update to a new version and load the old save game, the mod will ask with a pop up if you want to re-calculate the base modifiers. It's usually best to do so. The screen will freeze while the re-calc is in progress as it may take a few minutes to reset the base modifiers. So have patience after a re-calc.

JosEPh

Pretty far, not sure but I think we've had C2C players update from official v28 all the way to the official v34 with not problems as far as playability. Of course each successive revision will change what ever was updated in that revision.

After you update to a new version and load the old save game, the mod will ask with a pop up if you want to re-calculate the base modifiers. It's usually best to do so. The screen will freeze while the re-calc is in progress as it may take a few minutes to reset the base modifiers. So have patience after a re-calc.

JosEPh

Ok then one last thing. Will this mess with the AND mega cic and leaderhead packs?

Ok then one last thing. Will this mess with the AND mega cic and leaderhead packs?

It should just recalculate the Base Modifiers of the mod. Not shuffle or change added graphics or settings for leaders or Civs. Different parts of the game.

JosEPh

Oh BTW, not sure if anyone knows this but:

If the max civs in dll is 50, what happens if 50 players have already spawned in a game of mine (using Mega Civ for example) but some are dead and a revolution is triggered? Will it:

1- Give me any of the results a revolution may give, including spawning the 51st civ (as at least one of the 50 is dead)
or
2- Give me any of the results a revolution may give, not including the spawn of a new civ because the 50 slots are taken (even though at least one is marked as dead)

Oh and is it here?

Code:
/********************************************************************************/
/**             REVOLUTION_MOD                                                  1/1/08                          jdog5000        */
/**                                                                                                                                                             */
/**                                                                                                                                                             */
/********************************************************************************/
//#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS                                                                                               (18)
// Mod next line to change max number of players
#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS                                                                                         (50)
/**             REVOLUTION_MOD                                                  END                                                             */

If I simply change this value, will it work? Or is there something extra that must be done?

Yep. That's it. I forget if there is a reason people don't tend to go above 50.

At my current game I got a huge superiority up to turn 500, so i wanted to play AI AutoPlay all remainings turn to get a victory. But there is a problem - AI AutoPlay is crashing the game every 10-20 turns. Without autoplay it crash the game also, but it's not so annoying, i simply reload the last save and move on.

I am playing stable 2.1, with giant map and 50 countries, Revolutions mod off ( I've found it often crash the game when on ), other options mostly "on". So my questions are:

1. What is the most stable version of this mod? It can be not the newest, but the most stable.
2. What options are most stable?
For example "revolution mod" at my observations often lead to crashes, may be I can turn off some other options to have a more stable game.
3. May be it often crashes because i always play very large maps with 50 players, if so, then how many players can give a stable game?
4. At my observations the game crashes more frequency when hide the game and watching video in parallel ( when AI is long-moving or when AI autoplay ). Has it sense?
5. I have some programming skills and have a patience. I'm ready for bughunting, if they in dll or python. Can I somehow to know a reason of crashes? I tried to read logs but there were not usefull records imo.

At my current game I got a huge superiority up to turn 500, so i wanted to play AI AutoPlay all remainings turn to get a victory. But there is a problem - AI AutoPlay is crashing the game every 10-20 turns. Without autoplay it crash the game also, but it's not so annoying, i simply reload the last save and move on.

I am playing stable 2.1, with giant map and 50 countries, Revolutions mod off ( I've found it often crash the game when on ), other options mostly "on". So my questions are:

1. What is the most stable version of this mod? It can be not the newest, but the most stable.
2. What options are most stable?
For example "revolution mod" at my observations often lead to crashes, may be I can turn off some other options to have a more stable game.
3. May be it often crashes because i always play very large maps with 50 players, if so, then how many players can give a stable game?
4. At my observations the game crashes more frequency when hide the game and watching video in parallel ( when AI is long-moving or when AI autoplay ). Has it sense?
5. I have some programming skills and have a patience. I'm ready for bughunting, if they in dll or python. Can I somehow to know a reason of crashes? I tried to read logs but there were not usefull records imo.

1.) Latest and greatest is usually most stable. We tend to fix bugs fast, so if you stick with an old build, you may have issues.
2.) Game options don't tend to affect stability.
3.) Well, yes. More players = more cities = more units = more opportunities for crashes. So yes. I recommend uploading saves & crash dumps when you get a crash.
4.) Probably due to using up all your video memory. I don't recommend running other video-intensive software while playing.
5.) Yep, when you have a crash, in the BTS game install directory, there will be a crashdump. You can upload them here, or if you have visual studio, you can open them yourself.

Afforess, thank you for the clear answers!
So, today i'll download last version from svn and start a new game. And'll try to upload and open crush dumps.

3) - it is very pity because i don't know why, but i only like to play only large maps and very many players. I usually play 6 completely independent islands with 8-9 civs on it.
So, at first part of a game you'll need to gain superiority on your island ( with 7-8 civs), and then ( after astronomy) your island need to gain superiority from other islands ( so you fighting with 5 civs that have win on their islands). May be we can improve stability of mod in this conditions ( may be it's unstable because too few people play on this large maps ).

I have problem with one thing... or actually some of my AI civs have problems with founding cities. Is it normal that on gigantic map some civs have already 5-6 cities while some others only one? With embassies I can see they have settlers in their cities, but for some reason don't want to go anywhere and found a new city.

I have problem with one thing... or actually some of my AI civs have problems with founding cities. Is it normal that on gigantic map some civs have already 5-6 cities while some others only one? With embassies I can see they have settlers in their cities, but for some reason don't want to go anywhere and found a new city.

Post the SVN revision (hover over flag in game) and upload a save. ;)

Hmm... I don't have any save, because when I play I use three saves which I repeatedly rewrite from time to time. So all my three saves are quite recent and right now situation looks slightly different - all AI countries founded at least 2-3 new cities. I only have a screenshot which I made earlier - Sumerian city with settler in it. He stood there doing nothing for at least 100 turns.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/1ylkl3.jpg

But right now I noticed another disturbing thing. I play on prince and almost all countries, even those more powerful than me (0.3 ratio etc) defend their cities with only two units. They have powerful stacks but they usually stand somewhere in the far corner of their empire - while all cities have only two archers inside. Is there any way to improve AI in this matter? It seems that wars will be quite short and boring if it stays like this.

I'm playing on GEM map with my custom placed civs, and it's:

"Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn 2.2 beta 2 (rev747)
A New Dawn build 743 (game saved from build 743)"

Hmm... I don't have any save, because when I play I use three saves which I repeatedly rewrite from time to time. So all my three saves are quite recent and right now situation looks slightly different - all AI countries founded at least 2-3 new cities. I only have a screenshot which I made earlier - Sumerian city with settler in it. He stood there doing nothing for at least 100 turns.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/1ylkl3.jpg
Next time you spot that sort of behavior, upload a save. Usually it is due to a bug somewhere in the AI code. I can't debug it without a save in that sort of situation.

But right now I noticed another disturbing thing. I play on prince and almost all countries, even those more powerful than me (0.3 ratio etc) defend their cities with only two units. They have powerful stacks but they usually stand somewhere in the far corner of their empire - while all cities have only two archers inside. Is there any way to improve AI in this matter? It seems that wars will be quite short and boring if it stays like this.

Nah, that is normal. The AI has a concept of minimum and floating defenders. Minimum defenders are the units they keep in cities to defend it at a minimum (the two units you see), the float defenders wander the empire keeping the peace and kicking out barbs. If you declare war, they will move floating defenders to reinforce threatened cities.

Start a new game, revision 754.

I see that my archers ( skirmishers to be accurate ) sometimes can not attack. They have move, they haven't attack yet - but they can not attack. It's look like catapult cannot attack when all units below 25% hp. Is this some new conception or just a bug?

In this save it is units that near Newcastle.

Attachments

• Valergrad BC-1065.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
1)Why there is rubber plant and rubber factory?They both give same resource and the factory gives +1:yuck: in the city while the plant doesn't.

2)When willing to build movie theatre the popup message over the construction button shows a great reduction in culture (approx. 10%).I know that theatre is replaced in this case but i cannot understand why there is so much reduce in culture.

3)What is the UN mission?Is it similar to UN Nations?

1)Why there is rubber plant and rubber factory?They both give same resource and the factory gives +1:yuck: in the city while the plant doesn't.

2)When willing to build movie theatre the popup message over the construction button shows a great reduction in culture (approx. 10%).I know that theatre is replaced in this case but i cannot understand why there is so much reduce in culture.

3)What is the UN mission?Is it similar to UN Nations?
1, they need different resources. They're meant to give you vulcanized rubber either if you have rubber or you don't.

2, theater will go obsolete so it will not produce culture. Isn't there something else giving some bonus to theater in your case?

3, UN Mission grants eligibility. Usually only 4 biggest civs can be elected as Secretary General. If you build UN Mission you can be elected even if you're the smallest civ.

Top Bottom