Acronym's Bucket List Succession Game - sign-ups open!

And sure: our income will increase, but so will the tech prices... E.g.: RepPart (which took us 6 turns) is 4200 beakers, Atomic Theory 6000 beakers. I don't see, how our research output can increase from currently ~780 bpt to 1500 bpt (which would be required to do AT in 4 turns). That's a 100% increase within the next 50 turns or so. Impossible. We'll be lucky if we can do AT in 5 turns (1200 bpt).
You are British, right? Do you want to place a bet? I say at least 60 turns from now.
I never gamble. Don't even play the lottery. But I also haven't memorised the tech-costs, and I didn't realise they ramped so steeply. I had a look to see if the default costs were listed anywhere on CFC, but the closest hit I found was via this thread to this page, but it 'only' gives the base-cost, so I also need this formula and the listed Map-size/Difficulty multipliers to calculate the actual costs... Guess I ought to finally learn how to use MS ExCel :vomit: ... or just take your word for it ;)

Another question occurred to me -- in C3C, how big is the 'pool' of techs that the game chooses from when awarding a Sci-Civ its new-age freebie?

The CFC FAQ
seems to imply that it's restricted to the 1st-tier techs from the new age; however, I have a vague memory of playing the Persians or Babs, and being horrified when I was 'awarded' Monarchy for progressing to the MidAge :eek: :cry: :mad: But I'm not 100% certain about this — and even if I'm right, that would have been in a Vanilla game, possibly even v1.07 (the version I bought in late 2009, and played for another 1-2 years before patching to 1.29). I would expect that such a useless implementation of this mechanic would have been refined during a patch/ expansion, but I haven't played enough Civ3 — and certainly not enough C3C — to be sure*

Spoiler :
I don't (have time to) play more than ~10-12 full games per year (e.g. so far this year, I think I've finished about 6-7 solo games, and abandoned a couple more as irretrievable), usually with a different Civ every time, and not exclusively Sci-civs. So still effectively a noob...
So I just need confirmation that we won't get an obsolete optional when we reach the ModAge? Because otherwise, we will need to trade for all the skipped techs before we get Flight...

You won't get an obsolete optional- I didn't even know that happened in old Vanilla, it certainly didn't happen in Vanilla 1.29.

It's always a free tech from that age.

You won't get an obsolete optional- I didn't even know that happened in old Vanilla, it certainly didn't happen in Vanilla 1.29.

It's always a free tech from that age.
OK good. As I say, I may not be remembering this right at all -- it could well have been e.g. a tech I got from the GLib soon after I switched eras, or it might even have been a bug. I'm pretty sure I've seen Professor F6 showing the wrong tech-icon on a newly-acquired free tech more than once...

And it is not restricted to first-tier: I remember at least one occasion, where I gifted a couple of scientific neighbors into the new age interturn, bought their free techs for some optionals from the previous age and some gold, and then got a second-tier tech. (Even though I did not yet possess all fierst-tiers! So apparently the game choses a random tech of the new age techs you are currently able to research.)

lurker's comment:

Would anyone object to me taking a guest turnset after CBob?

I'm ok with it.

I know it's a bit late, but sorry for the lack of action plan. I could have sworn I posted one but after looking back through the thread multiple times it looks like my post never got through! I recall having some connection issues around that time and this forum was loading very, very slowly for some reason. That could have been what caused it. Next time I'll be more careful and double check to make sure I've done everything I need to before starting to play.

I really need a new computer...:cry:

CivAssist II does it for you... ;)
Yes, I know that -- but only for the tech currently being researched, as far as I can see (unless I'm missing something?).

That being so, while the 'turns to research' currently estimated by Prof Funksechs will give an idea of the relative costs of all the techs available to research, a CAII user won't know the actual cost until he picks one -- and if he's doing a beeline, he also won't know how much his planned research path will cost him in total. So for a player who has no idea of the tech-costs at all, being informed of them one at a time is not really helpful (unless that player makes a list -- which admittedly I haven't). So a spreadsheet-list is probably the best option.

Don't get me wrong, CAII is a great utility for turn-by-turn civ-management, and it has helped me raise my game considerably over the past 6 months (as have you guys of course). But it is still just a utility program, not a miraculous Oracle of wisdom.

Would anyone object to me taking a guest turnset after CBob?
No objection from me

In other news:
Spoiler :
The glorious Chinese, having discovered only two other remote nations sharing the enormous continent with which the gods have seen fit to bless them, have encouraged their scholars to work hard, and completed their republican revolution long centuries before their neighbours.

This innovative and liberal governmental model has quickly allowed those sages to amass much further learning, while also allowing the fecund Chinese people to expand their borders in all directions from their capital, despite the limited fertility of much of that land. The central desert offers only occasional Oases to refresh the weary traveller, but many Chinese Settlers have set out from Beijing's fertile Floodplains, building a large but sparsely-populated Empire, stretching from the western Jungle to the eastern Forests and from the northern Marshes to the southern coastal Plains, where many Cattle graze. The gods have tested the Chinese people sorely, but they have prevailed.

Those same fickle gods apparently require much worship, for Incense is plentiful in China, and Chinese cuisine will shortly become renowned for its use of exotic Spices. Although some intrepid Chinese sailors have also recently discovered both Fur-bearing animals and Silk-spinning caterpillars on a remote and uninhabited peninsula of their continent, these cannot presently be delivered to the slowly-growing population, nor will be soon. Fortunately the industrious Chinese people prefer a simple life: their many arid fields require much irrigation, and their nation's cities have not all yet been joined into one harmonious whole. So there is still much work to do, and little time for leisure.

Even as they founded city after shining city, the Chinese have not neglected matters martial. Horses were discovered grazing near Beijing, and the secrets of Iron-working were also obtained early. Unfortunately, the nearest ore deposits lay many days' ride beyond the borders of Mao's fledgling nation, in Hills inhabited only by backward tribes of Barbarians. Nonetheless, the massed squadrons of well-trained Chinese Horsemen, though still unarmoured and mostly untried in battle, inspired both envy and fear throughout the known world, and Mao has been both forward-looking and thrifty. His coffers now overflow with gold, and with a city newly founded near the Iron Hills, the valiant Chinese Warriors will thus shortly be equipped with Swords to smite their enemies.

Despite this, the haughty Queen Elizabeth of the English was recently foolhardy enough to tempt the Chinese wrath, and Mao despatched his Horsemen and Archers in retaliation. On the open battlefield, division after division of English Archers and Warriors were throughly routed, and although the English Spearmen desperately defended those few small cities which Elizabeth had founded so dangerously close to China's eastern borders, these too fell quickly to the triumphant Chinese Horsemen. A Great Leader has arisen during the fighting, who will be instrumental in the imminent construction of Mao's Forbidden Palace, thus improving the economy of the entire Chinese nation, and allowing still greater expansion and conquest. Although the wailing English captives already sweat and bleed beneath the whips of their new Chinese masters, Elizabeth still blindly refuses to accept Mao's most merciful terms. She can offer Mao nothing but her remaining cities in return for peace, but she will not give them up. So be it — if she will not yield to the obvious superiority of China, her pitiful kingdom will be ground into dust beneath Chinese hooves, and all her people forced into bondage for evermore.

Meanwhile, as the English forces retreat and scatter in disarray before the Chinese onslaught, red-garbed invaders from as-yet undiscovered lands overseas have landed and settled to the west and north, along the coast of the broad and undeveloped Jungle separating the Chinese Empire from the ignorant American tribe's borders. But once the English are vanquished, neither Caesar's nor Lincoln's scattered towns are likely to present any difficulty to the soon-to-be-built second generation of Chinese forces; their fearsome Riders, Mace-wielding footsoldiers, and heavily armoured Pikemen. Mao now looks forward eagerly to a Golden Age of prosperity for the wondrous Chinese Empire, and its eventual expansion across the entire world...

I'm fine with Elephantium taking a turnset after CBob.

And it is not restricted to first-tier: I remember at least one occasion, where I gifted a couple of scientific neighbors into the new age interturn, bought their free techs for some optionals from the previous age and some gold, and then got a second-tier tech. (Even though I did not yet possess all fierst-tiers! So apparently the game choses a random tech of the new age techs you are currently able to research.)
I can see how you could get other Sci-civs into a new age without entering it and getting a free tech yourself: simply gift them the last tech(s) that they need, presumably just before you finish researching the last one(s) that you need. But if you're still stuck in a previous age, you can't research a next-age 1st-tier tech, so I'm having difficulty understanding how you can get a 2nd-tier tech as your freebie when you do make that last breakthrough: I mean, unless you can buy the AICiv's freebies (they have no tech-prerequisites, after all), I'm not sure how you could get theirs before you get yours.

Unless... this is yet another trick/exploit? I know there's a (GOTM-banned) exploit that allows you to get 2 lots of shields out of one — or more — tile(s) on the IBT by switching that tile from one city to another after the first has finished its build, but before the second's growth/production has been calculated. So something similar could work for tech-swaps, if all the beakers for each city are calculated (and the new tech awarded) before the food/production, but the 'check for new age' routine isn't implemented until after all the cities have finished cycling. All you'd need is for at least one city to complete a build after you'd got enough beakers for your last 'previous-age' tech, to allow you to use the 'zoom to city' option to break into the IBT-routine and talk to the Foreign Advisor...

Seems like an 'MM waaay too far' for me ;) but am I close?

Yes, I know that -- but only for the tech currently being researched, as far as I can see (unless I'm missing something?).

and if he's doing a beeline, he also won't know how much his planned research path will cost him in total.

I'm not sure how you could get theirs before you get yours.

Seems like an 'MM waaay too far' for me ;) but am I close?

Not even remotely... No miracle or complicated exploit -- It's a standard procedure, probably used in every GOTM that goes for a UN/Space Race victory condition. You just complete your last tech of the era as usual, and when the popup comes up, asking you what to research next, you switch into F4, gift the other nations up, buy their freebies, and then close the advisor. After that you get your own freebie. (There is a War Academy Article "Free Tech Tricks", which describes this - and some more.)

Step 1: Post action plan.
Step 2: Discuss as needed.
Step 3: Exterminate every Englishman, excitedly Elephantium-style!

:hatsoff:

Step 4: ???
Step 5: PROFIT
Step 6: Poland Germany can into space

OK, Lanzelot, I am suitably humbled :blush: Guess I should just pay more attention -- and also scrutinise the CAII readme a little more thoroughly...

Thanks also for the heads-up on the 'free-tech tricks' article. Although I did look at nearly everything in the War Academy when I first found CFC, I'd forgotten about that one -- most likely I decided that it wasn't helpful to me at the time, because it mostly applied to Conquests, and seemed too 'high-level' for someone still getting to grips with Vanilla Chieftain/Warlord games (and now I wonder how much else in the War Academy I ought to re-read...). Ironically, that '2nd-tier freebie' was the one trick that I could have used in Vanilla... You have to admit I was right about it being an IBT-interrupt though ;)

Looking at the screenshots in the followup thread also confirmed my vague suspicion that the tech-tree shown in my C3C cheat-sheet is wrong -- or at least outdated with respect to C3C v1.22 -- because it still includes Radio (looking again at NetHog's version, I see that Radio is correctly omitted). That's also partly why I misunderstood you when you said '13 techs to research' -- I thought you meant '13 techs after RepParts'. Nice to know there's one less job to do, contrary to my earlier post.

Regarding not using the Mongols as research partners and just increasing our tech-lead to 'unassailable'... :D If that's the plan, presumably our research priority will be:
  1. Finish RepParts
  2. Industry
    • Build Factories in O'stadt, K'berg, München, E'stadt, Trondheim (and/ or use as Hoovers prebuild)
  3. Med --> Electronics
    • Wonder (pre)builds:
      • Finish Hoovers
      • Start ToE (in K'stadt, because of low SPT?)
      • Start SETI prebuild (in O'stadt, to complement Newton?)
      • Start Internet prebuild (in K'berg, to leave München free for mil-unit builds?)
  4. Corp --> Combustion
    • Build Transports/ Destroyers for diversionary invasions?
  5. MassProd
  6. MotorTransp
    • Build Panzers! But watch out for :spear:
  7. Flight
    • Colossus obsolete, advance to Mod Age
  8. New-era freebie (= Comps or Rockets??? Fingers crossed!)
    • Finish ToE
  9. ToE freebies (=Comps+Mini, or Rockets+Mini)
    • Comps => Finish SETI
    • Mini => Finish Internet*
    • Start prebuild for ApolloProg (in any available high-shield city)
If so, would everyone be OK with instructing our science advisor (Prof. Funksechs) accordingly, so as to avoid any more research-misdirection debacles, now that it's so crucial that everyting is done according to specific schedule...?

*Re. Miniaturization: worth (rush-)building OffshoreRigs in our coastal core cities (esp. Aarhus, Hamburg, K'stadt -- maybe also W'haven and Walbergdorf)?

Yes, so far so good.

But anyway, where are we?! It's CBob's turn, right?
I should have my gameplay and such posted later today.

0 0970 AD

Drop science to 0%.
Replaceable Parts in -- turns, +566 gpt, 78 gold.

We don't have any geeks.
[IBT]
Bad News

Richmond flips back to England.

1 0980 AD

Richmond flipping is not good but not all that bad either. England will not have time to connect the Saltpeter by Richmond before we liberate it again. And we have only one Rifle to rush, for 276 of 644 gold..

Two new Cavalry join the fine fellows at Bananenbucht.

Galleon with eKnights almost arrives in Hamburg.

Wake up the Maces in Neu-Osloh and send them south into the jungles next to the English border.

Workers
We stop the forest chop at Richmond. Send them towards London. Nearby Pike provides protection.

We gather 16 native workers and 11 slaves around Catan.

Rail mined hill 1S of Eisenstadt, vCav in Eisenstadt in 5 instead of 6. Eisenstadt and Aarhus are now connected to Oasenstadt by rail.

Nine slaves help rail 2NE of Oasenstadt.
Send two slaves to Trondheim.
Three slaves rail at Birka to Molde.
Three workers rail BG in the WWF Area.

With our workers on hand, we complete rails in four more tiles.

With our last three slaves, we begin to rail the southern bananas at Bananenbucht.

Raise science back to 100%.
Replaceable Parts in 5, -10 gpt, 368 gold.
[IBT]
England is in a twitter about the Pike and slaves. We agree to be nice and leave.

London: rRifle -> settler in 30.

Wonderful News

Oasenstadt: Newton's University -> vcavalry in 4.

India is building Shakespeare's Theater (Free Artistry).

2 0990 AD

Galleon arrives in Hamburg.

Richmond units arrive safely into our borders at London.

Try to goad England into declaring war by demanding Free Artistry and gold; it doesn't work.

So, we, with 30 cities, declare WAR on England's 27 cities.

eKnight draws first blood, to protect our railing slaves at Bananenbucht (1 of 1, 0 of 1e).
This unit, now at 3/5, will face two counter attacks on the IBT from adjacent Knights, so we send a Rifle from Bananenbucht to provide cover.

Maces move; now 2S of Neu-Osloh and 2N of Liverpool.

eKnight removes rKnight 1N of Warwick (2 of 2, 0 of 2e).

Pick off rArcher 1NE of Warwick with an eKnight (3 of 3, 0 of 3e).
This attack was to prevent the Archer from moving into Warwick and knocking a hit point one of our attackers with their defensive bombardment.
This Knight is also exposed to counter attack from a nearby rKnight, but is still at 5/5.
Move another eKnight into that tile just to be safe.

Move 7 vCavalry, 3 eKnights, 1 eHorse and the Richthofen Army to 1N of Warwick.

Workers
Rail a Wine at Trondhiem.
Finish rails 1SE of Bananenbucht.

Gather 23 workers and 7 slaves near Catan.

Rail 1S-1SE of Bananenbucht, on the English border. Protect the 6 Workers with 2 Pikes.
Rail two tiles being worked by Oasenstadt (hill and plains). This puts the city at 25 spt. At 27 spt it can produce 3 turn Cavalry.
Send two slaves to rail Welzenheim to Trondhiem, one tile.
Three slaves are unused, to join the nine slaves near Bananenbucht next turn, and road flat lands in one turn.

London is now cranky since we decided to smack down Elizabeth; hire at taxman.
[IBT]
Kill 2 English Knights and lose one Pike (5 of 6).

Palace Expansion; we add the first floor on Stage Right.

3 1000 AD

Warwick (10)
Richthofen's Army finds a catapult and tramples an rPike (6 of 7). And is down to 6/12.
vCav finds an Archer and retreats from a second rPike (6 of 8).
Following vCav is redlined but the Pike is gone (7 of 9).
eKnight squares up on rSpear and then runs away (7 of 10).
Second eKnight is made of sterner stuff (8 of 11, 0 of 3e).
eKnight drools over Archer and drowns it in slobber (9 of 12, 0 of 4e).

Good News

We gain 4 gold, 1 catapult, 8 crabby Limeys and no improvements. We start a worker.

We move our wouned into Warwick for crowd control.

Two Knights are within striking distance of Warwick and one blocking the road back to Bananenbucht.
We lose 1 vCavalry getting rid of these pests (12 of 16).

Due south of our Maces are two Knights, also in the jungles.
Move the Maces 1SW and the Rifle that was protecting our Knight in the IBT joins them.

We snipe a wounded Knight (13 of 17).

Send a Rifle towards Warwick.

Workers
Rail irrigated plains at Trondheim.
Move 9 workers to the jungles 1N of Warwick, to road. They sit under our Army.
Get Oasenstadt to 27 spt.
Oasenstadt: vCav in 3 -> Settler in 1, rush for 20 gold (5 shields to go), settler in 1 -> vCav in 2.

Get Königsberg up to a net of 20 spt.
[IBT]
English Longbow gives us our first eCavalry (14 of 18).

Königsberg: univesity -> vCavalry in 4.

Two people get enlightened in Warwick and cause the city to riot. The non-rioters join the IRS.

Palace Expansion again; build the second story on Stage Right.

4 1010 AD

Taxman to clown in London.

Tresspassers
Longbow 2SW of London.
Longbow 1S of Warwick (jungle).
Knight and Longbow 1E of Warwick (jungle).

We road the jungle to connect Warwick to greater Germany.
Our Army heals.
Our Maces move to 1N of Liverpool.

Catapult in Warwick pings the Knight to the east.

Move seriously wounded units back to the barracks of Bananenbucht to heal.

Move Rifle into Warwick and fortify.

eKnight erradicates the pinged English Knight at Warwick and becomes *KnightOfWarwick 1010 AD* (15 of 19, 1 of 5e).
Hengest goes to Bananenbucht and becomes The Hengest Warwick Army, an empty Army.

eHorse skewers the Longbow south of Warwick, on one of our roads (16 of 20, 1 of 6e).
Lose a vCavalry to a Knight on a hill 2NW of Warwick (16 of 21). Did not even damage the Knight.
Follow up attack by another vCavalry promotes our unit to Elite (17 of 22).

Two Knights and a Longbow menace our supply line to Warwick.
vCav pulls out the defensive shot of the Longbow and then demolishes a Knight (18 of 23).
eKnight plays whack-a-doodle with the remaining Knight (19 of 24).
eCavalary plays with Longbow, gets yellowed and ends up in Bananenbucht.

We leave Warwick defended by vRifle and 4/5 Knight and a catapult. We will be attacked by the Longbow 1E of the city and I am not very worried about it. I am more worried about Knights in the fog attacking on the IBT and thus the two defenders.
Richthofen's Army, Richthofen (eKnight*) and three Cavalry are 1N of Warwick in case it is lost.

In time we will load The Hengest Warwick Army, but not on this turn. Park it near Königsberg on rails.

Workers
Rail the mined plains that Trondheim is working.
München is netting 18 spt and 2 fpt at size 12.
Rail a hill to make it 19 spt.
Rail an irrigated grass to give +3 fpt, which lets us take a citizen off an irrigated grass with road that produce 3 fpt and assign that citizen to a mountain.
München is now netting 20 spt (4 turn Cavalry) and has no food surplus.
München: vCav in 4 -> Explorer in 1 (2 sheilds needed); rush for 8 gold; Explorer in 1 -> vCav in 3.

Hire a taxman in Walstadt until aqueduct completes in 3 turns.
[IBT]
rPike outpokes a Longbow and Knight and promotes to Veteran (21 of 26).

Molde: worker -> worker in 10.
Weizenheim: library -> university in 17 (no barracks and nets 6 spt).

5 1020 AD

Warwick is drawing English units like an open flame attracts moths.
2NW is rKnight on a hill (English roaded hill and able to attack on the IBT).
1W is rArcher (road).
1SW is rKnight and rSword (jungle).
2SW is rKnight (able to attack on the IBT).
1S is a rSword (roaded jungle).
1NE is rLongbow (jungle).
Seven potential attackers and two defenders. We need to work on that.

But first...

Liverpool (5)
vMace aims at eSpear, finds a Longbow, takes a hit and keeps swinging and promotes to Elite (22 of 27).
vMace confronts rSpear and outsmashes it (23 of 28).
eMace charges rLongbow (24 of 29, 1 of 7e).

Good News

Liverpool is now German, along with 2 slaves and 4 gold. And three resisters. No infrastructure. Start a worker, hire a taxman.

Even with Liverpool in our control, there are roads the English can use to infiltrate north of Warwick.
We move the Rifle and 7 more Maces.

Wandering Longbow 1W of London wanders no longer (25 fo 30).

Move 2 Rifles into Warwick.

Of the seven potentail foes of Wawrick, two of them are on roads inside our borders, so we can attack and move back into Warwick.
And while we can rail the hill that connects Warwick to Germany, we need to thin out the attackers first.

Move eKnight into Warwick, now at 1 MP.
Attack one of the Knight/Sword pair SW of Warwick, their Knight is gone (26 of 31, 1 of 8e).
eKnight in Warwick eyeballs the Archer 1W of the city, Archer disappears (27 of 32).
vCav disposes of the Sword 1S of Warwick and promotes to Elite (28 of 33).
vCav challenges Knight 2NW of Warwick and executes flawlessly (29 of 34).

We now rail the hill to Warwick.
Move two wounded units into Bananenbucht to heal.

Warwick has seven defenders facing three known attackers on the IBT (Knight, Sword and Longbow).

Ten units are healing in Bananenbucht (1 Horse, 5 Knights and 4 Cavalry).

Need to take our Gloucester to ease our defensive concerns getting to Wwrwick.

Workers
Start to rail 1W of Molde.
Begin forest chop for worker at Molde.
Rail a mined oasis at Trondheim.
Begin to rail the jungle at Fischberg.

At Goldstat, which produces 16 spt and nets 13 of that 16, we rail two mined grasses and get it up to a net of 15 spt. Needs to be 16 spt to even produce 5 turn Cavalry. We do not hae enough workers to rail another mined grass this turn.
Eisenstadt can also produce 5 turn Cavalry, with a little help.

Drop science to 10%, Replaceable Parts in 1, +516 gpt, 328 gold.
[IBT]
Replaceable Parts -> Industrialization in 40 at 10%.

Bodo: worker -> worker in 10 (grows in 4).
Karasjok: worker -> worker in 10 (grows in 8).

6 1030 AD

No resistance in Liverpool.
Still four resisters in Warwick.

Liverpool is drawing a lot of English attention. All of the units around Warwick headed towards Liverpool on the IBT.

Tresspassers
Longbow 1NW of Warwick (roaded grass).
Sword 1SE of Warwick (unroaded jungle).
Longbow 2S of Warwick, English roaded greassland.
Longbow 2W of Liverppol, unclaimed jungle.
Two Knights 1SW of Liverpool, roaded hill.
Longbow 1S of Liverpool.
Spear 1S of London.

We rail the jungle 1N of Warwick. Wounded units in Warwick can now move freely to cities with barracks to heal.

Move wounded Maces into Liverpool.

Group our healthy units around the capital.
We have 6 vCav, 1 eCav, 1 eHorse and 4 eKnights.

Gloucester (6)
Scout with a vCav.
eKnight retreats from rSpear (29 of 35).
Second eKnight does better (30 of 36, 1 of 9e).
Third eKnight overruns the 2/3 Spear defending (31 of 37, 1 of 10e).

Good News

Gloucester is under new management. We gain 4 gold, 5 resiters and no city improvements. We start a worker and hire a taxman.

eHorse fillets the Longbow next to Warwick (32 of 38, 1 of 11e).
It then goes to Gloucester.
Move Rifle into Gloucester.
Move Rifle to protect the eKnights that attacked Gloucester, which are now right on the border.

From Liverpool, vMace whallops rKnight (33 of 39).
eKnight surprises Longbow 2W of Liverpool (34 of 40, 1 of 12e).
eCavalry routs remaining Knight at Liverpool (35 of 41, 1 of 13e).

Load 3 vCavs in The Hengest Warwick Army.

It moves towards Liverpool, to protect the railing crews.

Put nine units into Gloucester as resister suppressors.

Workers
Get Goldstat up to 15 spt net, or 5 turn Cavlary.

Just saw that we are building a Regular unit in Königsberg; it has no barracks. Switch from Cavalry to Rifle.

Rail to Liverpool.
Rail the mounatin at Trondheim.
Hire two taxmen in Warwick to keep it happy.
Hire a taxman in Liverpool; rush a worker for 36 of 847 gold.

Raise science to 100%.
Industrialization in 5, -5 gpt, 811 gold.

We are now Strong when compared to England.
[IBT]
China (1) and England (?) sign an MA vs us (33).
China declares WAR on us.

That will their final decision in the game.

Spear pillages Dyes at London and the city shuts down. We hire another clown.

Liverpool: worker -> worker in 10.
Walstadt: aqueduct -> courthouse in 14.

7 1040 AD

Trespassers
Longbow 1SW of Warwick.
Knight and three Longbows 1SW of Liverpool.

We go to work on the units around Liverpool.

eKnight dodges the Longbow's defensive arrows and redlines the Knight but cannot finish it off (35 of 42).
Second eKnight gallops over their Knight (36 of 43, 1 of 12e).
eMace is out classed by a Longbow (36 of 44).
eMace from Liverpool smacks around a Longbow (37 of 45, 1 of 13e).
Two eCavs knock off the last two Longbows (39 of 47, 1 of 15e).
eKnight tramples Longbow at Warwick (40 of 48, 1 of 16e).
vCav sandbags 1/3 Sword just across the border (41 of 49, 1 of 17e).

Send 5 vCavalry to deal with China. They wind up 2SW of Shantung.

The Hengest Warwick Army mows down 2 Knights and a Longbow (44 of 52).
Spots an rMusket defending Hastings.

Richthofen moves into England, pillages a Horse, spots an rRifle in Newcastle (!) and moves next to Nottingham.

Workers
Rail to Gloucester.
Bring Eisenstadt up to a net of 17 spt.
Bring Catan up to 13 net spt.
Catan swaps a tile with Bananenbucht to complete Cavalry this turn. It would have been 1 shield short this turn.
[IBT]
Win two and lose two on the IBT, Knight retreats and Cavalry dies (45 of 54).

England has Cavalry.

Königsberg: rRifle -> barracks in 1.
Neu-Osloh: market -> vCavalry in 9.
Molde: worker -> worker in 10.

Palace Expansion; second story on Stage Left.

8 1050 AD

War weariness kicks in. Several cities ready to riot.

Tresspassers
rLongbow 1SW of Warwick.
vCavalry (2/4) 1S of Warwick.
vKnight 1NE of London.
rCavalry 1S-1SW of London.

eKnight tackles the 2/4 Cavalry at Warwick (46 of 55, 1 of 18e).

Nottingham (10)
Richthofen lazily removes a Pike (47 of 56).
eCavalry thumps another one (48 of 57, 1 of 19e).
eCavalry sticks to a Spear (49 of 58, 1 of 20e).

Good News

Nottingham is under German control. We gain zero gold, zero improvements and two slaves. We begin a worker.

eMace plays deadly patty-cake with a Longbow and plays it very well (50 of 59, 2 of 21e).
*MaceOfNWLiverpool 1050 AD* and Horsa.
Horsa becomes The Army of Horsa Liverpool, our third army.

Shantung (2) (capital)
vCav finds a Longbow, destoys a Spear (51 of 60).
vCav clobbers another Spear (52 of 61).
vCav harvests an open ground Longbow and goes to Elite (53 of 62).
vcav plinks away at Longbow in the city (54 of 63).

Good News

We capture Shantung, gaining 13 gold and one slave.

Better News

And China is dead.

Shantung starts on a harbor, due in 30 turns.

Grab up an English settler pair (55 of 64, 2 of 22e).
eKnight topples a Longow (56 of 65, 2 of 23e).
eHorse does not and dies in shame (56 of 66).
vMace hacks down Longbow at Warwick (57 of 67).
Hengest Warwick (11/13) dispatches 2/3 Knight (58 of 68).
It then moves to the hill 1SW of Nottingham.

Send two Cavalry to Nottingham for defense.
Send a Rifle towards Nottingham.

Workers
Swap back the tiles from Catan to Bananenbucht.
Get Catan to a net of 16 spt for 5 turn Cavalry.
Get Wilhelmshaven to a net of 10 spt.
Rush worker in Liverpool for 36 of 799 gold.

Raise the luxury rate to 10%.
Industrialization in 3 at 90%, -4 gpt, 763 gold.
[IBT]
We do poorly on the IBT, winning one out of five. We had two wounded units that we lost, along with the Rifle in London and a Cavalry in Nottingham. I did not expect such a vigorours counterattack.
we are 59 of 73.

Pentagon is now an option.

Königsberg: barracks -> Rifle in 4 (we need some defenders).
Nottingham starves.
Warwick riots when a cranky citizen accepts their new rulers. Everyone in Warwick becomes IRS agents.
Liverpool: worker -> courthouse in 80 (?)

9 1060 AD

We see five English Cavalry on the board.

Tresspassers
Regular Cavalry in the jungle 1SW of Warwick.
3/4 Cavalry and a Spear 1SW of Liverpool (hill).
Two Longbow 1N of Nottingham.
1/4 Cavalry 2NW of Nottingham.
rCavalry 2S of Liverpool.
2/3 Knight 1E-1NE of Liverpool. This scumbag unit killed our rRifle in London.
1/3 Cavalary 2S of London.

vRifle fortifies in Nottingham.

We have 4 eKnights, 1 new vCavlary, 5 vMaces, with another undamaged vCav in Nottingham.
No new Cavalry need at least two turns of training. So we cannot fill our third Army just yet.

We are a bit overextended at the moment. I would really like to have two or three Rilfes in ...

Wait a minute....NOOOOO!

Blast! Blast! Blast!

Where are the frigging Infantry??!!!

:wallbash: [pissed] :mad:

Infantry come with Replaceable Parts but need Rubber. I did not check for Rubber; I was too happy to be able to road faster.

There is a source of Rubber between Warwick and Liverpool, but that area is too hot right now to colonize.
Another rubbers is 2NE of Brandenburg and the tile is already roaded.

Okay, I'll get that fixed in a moment.

I thought we had drawn the teeth out of the English military machine. Their Cavalry surprise and annoy me. It wasn't good that we had some exposed units on the IBT and the fact thta we lost them was even worse. But had those two Cavalry attacked Nottingham we would have lost it. So maybe we have to do the same thing. Lose a good unit to kill their best units as quickly as possible.

4/5 Cavalry sneaks up on their 1/4 Cavalry (60 of 74, 3 of 24e).
And we get *CavalryOfNottingham 1060 AD* and Rommel. Both are just across the border in England.

Rommel builds The Pentagon in Wilhelmshaven, which just finished a Cavalry and has no shields stored up.
Wilhelmshaven becomes Wilhelmshaven Pentagon.

We ping the Cavalry at Warwick, the send an eKnight to deal with it, which they do (61 of 75, 3 of 25e).
vMace is pitted against 3/4 Cavalry at Liverpool and loses (61 of 76).
eMace in Liverpool takes a stab and makes it a 3/5 Cavalry (61 of 77).
eKnight figures that this English Cavalry has used up all its luck and, indeed, it has (62 of 78, 4 of 26e).
*KnightOfLiverpool 1060 AD* and Barbarossa.
Barbarossa forms The Barbarossa Liverpool Army. It is parked outside the capital.

eKnight crushes a Longbow at Nottingham (63 of 79, 4 of 27e).
eKnight raids the Cavarly 2S of Liverpool, but is redlined in the attempt (64 of 80, 4 of 28e).
*KNightOfWarwick* does a snatch-n-grab with some English workers.
vMace pummels rSpear at Liverpool (65 of 81).
rMace bashes the last Longbow at Nottingham and becomes Veteran (66 of 82).

We move Richthofen from Nottingham to Liverpool and let that army protect 2 Knights and the two slaves we just grabbed.
Hengest Warwick heals outside Nottingham.

We have two Maces that fortify with the Mace at Liverpool and the Knight on the road at Warwick.
This leaves us with three solo units that are in danger over the IBT, and two more tiles with two units each.

Rush another rRifle in London for 296 of 767 gold.

Hastings is the only known English port city. We have pillaged their Horses and their Saltpeter was pillaged before Richmond flipped back to them.

Workers
Rail to three wounded survivors of the Shantung raid and move them to the capital to heal.
Burn a slave to create a Rubber Colony near Brandenburg.
Rail around Königsberg to build 4 turn Infantry.
Start a mine on the hill 1E of München.
[IBT]
The Knight that whacked our Rifleman in London comes back against the Pikes.
He dies this time (67 of 83).

London: rRifle -> settler in 30.

Wonderful News

The Pentagon is built in Wilhemlshaven Pentagaon.
The city starts on a vCavalry next (8 turns).
Bananenbucht: market -> vInfantry in 7.
Fischberg: market -> university in 20.

10 1070 AD

Well, only one counterattack with so many vulnerable targets! Maybe England is weaker than she appears.

We killed four of the five Cavalry we saw last turn. The fifth, south of London, has probably headed to nearby Dover.

Tresspassers
None.

We rail 1S of Liverpool, where the Richthofen Army is located.
Give Richthofen a fourth Cavalry.

Hastings (6)
Richthofen aims at fortified rMusket and it goes away (68 of 84).
eCavalry grimly faces cRifle and then smiles (69 of 85, 4 of 29e).
Hengest Warwick shows up to deal with the rCavalry defender; it does not defend very long (70 of 86).

Good News

Hastings is now part of Germany; we gain 1 gold, 5 resisters, one harbor and one aqueduct.

Whoever was supplying resources to England is now unable to do.

Richthofen still has some movement left and promptly picks off an English Cavalry (71 of 87).

We rail to Hastings.

Our eKnight from 1SW of Warwick retreats from Pike near Hastings (71 of 88).
vMace punks the Pike (72 of 89).
vMace pulls a Mongo (Blazing Saddles) on 1/4 Cavalry (73 of 90). We gain a slave.

Move vRifle from Liverpool to Hastings and fortify.

Workers
Rail to Stavanger.

We rail from Hastings to Nottingham.

Misclick a slave in London, he thinks he going to our capitail. He isn't now, but he is in danger.

Disband the catapult in Warwick to help rush the worker. Would have been better to that last turn. The sheild that Wawrick produces this turn will be wasted.

Railed and mined a grassland for Bananenbucht; when it grows in 4 turns it might be able to produce 6 turn Infantry (15 spt).

Drop science to 30%.

Industrialization in 1, +351 gpt, 473 gold.

And the save is attached.

Attachments

• Acronym01_AD_1070_End02.SAV
    244.5 KB · Views: 98
An eventful turnset.

South Germany 1070 AD
Spoiler :

We have conquered Warwick, Liverpool, Gloucester, Nottingham and Hastings.
Richmond flipped back to England before we declared war.

England still has over 20 cities.

This was not the walk in the park that we (I!) expected. England has Cavlary and Rifles. The Cavalry were a nasty surprise. They were also a priority to kill. I think that England just upgraded her Knights to Cavalry. We captured Hastings to break any trade routes England might have for Saltpeter or Horses.

We have been deliberately exposing wounded units to possible counterattacks in order to entice the English Cavalry to attack, so that we can kill them on our turn. Very cold-blooded but also very effeective, if the English attack those units. Last turn was the firs time to try that and it didn't work; the only counterattack was to a city. No one took our bait.

Random Stuff
China was stupid enough to sign an MA with England against us. That was their last decision. Now they are gone.

We learned Replaceable Parts. We learn Industrialization this turn.

Replaceble Parts upgrades worker speed. That is fun to work iwth.

We do have source of Rubber, a colony near Brandenburg.

We gained 4 MGLs this turn in only 29 Elite victories. We got very lucky. We now have 4 Armies in the field, though two of them are parked around the capital and are empty.

One of our MGLs built The Pentagon for us so we can now have 4 units is our armies. Only Richthofen's Army has four units; we just don't have enough Cavalry to fill them all.

Newton's University was built by us in 980 AD.

Select City Production
  • Oasenstadt: nets 27 spt -> 3 turn Cavalry (27 x 3 = 81 shields)
  • Königsberg: nets 23 spt -> 4 turn Infantry (23 x 4 = 92 shields)
  • Trondhiem: 22 spt -> Military Academy in 5 turns.
  • München: nets 20 spt -> 4 turn Cavalry (20 x 4 = 80 sheilds)
  • Eisenstadt: nets 17 spt -> 5 turn Cavlary (17 x 5 = 85 shields)
  • Goldstadt: nets 16 spt -> 5 turn Cavalry (16 x 5 = 80 shields)
  • Die Siedle de Catan: nets 16 spt -> 5 turn Cavalry (16 x 5 = 80 sheilds)
  • Bananenbucht: nets 13 spt -> 7 turn Infantry (13 x 7 = 91 shields)
  • Neu-Osloh: nets 11 spt -> 8 turn Cavalry (11 x 8 = 88 shields)
  • Wilhemshaven Pentagon: nets 10 spt -> 8 turn Cavalry (10 x 8 = 80 sheilds)
  • Hamburg: nets 10 spt -> 8 turn Cavalry (10 x 8 = 80 sheilds)

Bananenbucht will grow in 4 turns and it might get to a net of 15 spt, which would let it produce an Infantry in 6 turns instead of 7.
Neu-osloh needs help too, but the only unrailed tile it works is the mountain.
Both of these cities have a lot of jungle/marsh around them that needs to be cleared, as do Bergen and Odense.
We need to consider having a stack of 9 slaves to road a jungle tile in one turn, followed closely by a stack of 12 slaves, that can clear a jungle in two turns.

With Industrialzaion coming in this turn, we will want to get some factories built. However, this little puppies cost 240 shields or the same as three Cavalry. We need factories but we don't need them right away. We still have a lot of English territory to take and subdue; more than 20 cities. We still have a big need for Cavalry and Infantry.

Liverpool, Weizenhiem and Fischberg have questionable build orders. None ot them can produce military at any speed, so why bother? Thus, the two universities and courthouse.

Worker Locations/Tasks (NW to SE)
Most workers and slaves are railing. Generally, they are in groups to road one tile in one turn. For flatland, that is 3WT, for hills it is 12WT.

Below are the oddball workers doing something slightly different.
  • Three workers 1SW of Walstadt: to improve unimproved hill.
  • One slave 2S of Nottigham: thought he was going to the capital after a mis-click. May not survive the IBT. If he does survive, well, maybe move 1E, then 1N and 1N again to be on our railroads.
  • One slave in London: just needs safe passage to our rail net.
  • Twelve slaves 2SE of Bananenbucht: mined and railed this grassland this turn.
  • Six slaves 1E of München: mining this hill for Weizenheim, which is currently working it.
  • Two slaves 1N-1NE of Aarhus: these two have been isolated all this turnset. Plan for them to rail themselves to the rail net and join to a larger stack.
  • Two workers 1NE and 1E of Stockholm: they came from Bodo and Karasjok and got diverted into local issues instead of helping the overall empire. This area needs rails, too, but the need is greater elsewhere. Perhaps they could join the two slaves near Aarhus to rail a tile a turn?
  • Two slaves 1SW of Shantung: connecting Shantung to the south.
  • One slave 1S of Hastings: it was just captured this turn; it is serving a Cavalry bait at the moment.

Around the capital are parked unused units for this turn. Two vCavs are there, along with an eCav*; all three could be loaded into an Army.

Excess workers and slaves are fortified there, too.

Military
30 Worker +5
44 Slaves +9
01 Horseman
03 Pike -1
07 Knight -2
11 Rifles +2
15 Cavlary +7
02 Galleon
04 Army +3 (Two Cavalry, two empty)
06 Maces -4

Current Units: 78 +8
Allowed Units: 70 +9
Support Costs: 16 gpt -2 gpt

Still no settlers.

10% luxuries due to war weariness.

Industrialization in 1 turns, 30% science, +348 gpt, 473 gold.

Back
Top Bottom