[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Catfish said:
And to continue along the general theme of swamping the thread with requests:

Going against the theme here, with the release of 0.10:

• Railroad & river multiplier: Configure movement cost along railroads and rivers. As discussed before, you can't go nuts with the multipliers, since the three values (incl. the existing road multiplier) are aggregated into one movement multiplier (least common multiple of the three). The limit for movement rates in @UNITS is basically 255 divided by that number. You'll get an in-game warning when this limit is exceeded.
  • Production carry-over: Determine what to do with excess shields after production is completed.
  • Leonardo's workshop settings: Workshop upgrades can preserve veterancy.
  • Save file extensions: Extends the saved game format allowing patches to store arbitrary data. This should open up a lot of possibilities for future modifications.
  • Attacks per turn: Set the number of attacks per turn per unit type.
  • Added 5 new settings to the Defense bonus patch:
    • CoastalFortressDefense: Bonus for coastal fortress.
    • AegisVSAirDefense: Bonus for AEGIS units against air units.
    • AegisVSMissileDefense: Bonus for AEGIS units against missiles.
    • SAMDefense: Bonus for SAM Missile Battery versus missiles (stacks with SDI).
    • SDIDefense: Bonus for SDI Defense versus missiles (stacks with SAM).

Fixes:

• Fixed a crash bug in the Terrain overlays patch where unallocated memory was being freed.
  • Fixed a crash in the City & unit limits patch caused by the game reading outside of the city array.

As always, detailed information about the patches is available in the launcher. For an overview of all patches, see the included README.txt. Happy gaming! :)

Attachments

• TOTPPv010.zip
    139.8 KB · Views: 254
Going against the theme here, with the release of 0.10:
I suppose that's allowed. :D

A bit of an odd one here regarding the 'Railroad & river multiplier' patch. There are a few scenarios that employ the fractional unit movement hack through MR values that exceed the 127/road multiplier limit. Examples include Imperium Romanum, El Aurens 2 (naturally), Sengoku Jidai and Herbstnebel. When the patch is enabled in the launcher and the scenario is loaded, the 'friendly warning' is produced and these units are given the maximum allowable MR based on the LCM of the movement multipliers. Now I suspect that most players are probably going to enable their favourite patches in the launcher and count on the default values taking care of business when the patches aren't in use - so they won't have to keep chopping and changing their options. When players receive the warning message (more of a debugging-type message for designers) and get huge unit MRs, they're going to wonder what's going on.

Thank you so much TheNamelessOne. These new additions will make such a difference to so many of my projects. Finally I can make use of railroads and use rivers as an obstacle rather than a road if the scenario requires it. I could use one of the extra terrain slots as riverbed with high movement cost and low defence values to make minor (Ie not major ocean rivers) into a crossable but movement inhibiting barrier.

I don't fully understand:

Save file extensions: Extends the saved game format allowing patches to store arbitrary data. This should open up a lot of possibilities for future modifications.

Would you mind explaining how this works (as if you were talking to a child :D).

The feature I most desperately need is a reversed version of CivStack so that I can remove airbases from nearly all land squares in all of my scenarios. That would save me many hours of tedious work!

I have just been testing out all of the TOTPP features and they all work perfectly. Really amazing work TheNamelessOne! Thanks a million. My TO DO list has just grown considerably, but the new features will make a big difference to my projects!

I've added the new features to my work in progress for the Burma Campaign, and it works just as requested, which is really quite brilliant. I realize however, that I was not thinking clearly enough when I asked for independently set movement rates for rail, road and river. What would be even more useful would be to have a setting with no particular movement rate for rivers, ie. you just pay the movement cost of the other terrain in the square. Is it possible? I'm terribly sorry for not thinking this through in the first place.

A bit of an odd one here regarding the 'Railroad & river multiplier' patch. There are a few scenarios that employ the fractional unit movement hack through MR values that exceed the 127/road multiplier limit. Examples include Imperium Romanum, El Aurens 2 (naturally), Sengoku Jidai and Herbstnebel. When the patch is enabled in the launcher and the scenario is loaded, the 'friendly warning' is produced and these units are given the maximum allowable MR based on the LCM of the movement multipliers. Now I suspect that most players are probably going to enable their favourite patches in the launcher and count on the default values taking care of business when the patches aren't in use - so they won't have to keep chopping and changing their options. When players receive the warning message (more of a debugging-type message for designers) and get huge unit MRs, they're going to wonder what's going on.

That's pretty creative, I wasn't aware of such (ab)use. How would you suggest I handle it? I can show the message but not set movement points to the max allowed? I agree the message might not make too much sense for players, but for designers it's pretty easy to exceed the limit with the new multipliers.

BTW, the patch changes all signed operations related to movement to unsigned ones, so the limit is now 255/multiplier.

Save file extensions: Extends the saved game format allowing patches to store arbitrary data. This should open up a lot of possibilities for future modifications.

Would you mind explaining how this works (as if you were talking to a child :D).

Sure. Up to this point, most patches only read new settings from places (rules.txt mostly); they didn't need to keep track of in-game changes. Some patches/requests do need this, and that requires writing data to the saved game. For example, the attacks-per-turn patch needs to store how many attacks have been used by a unit, otherwise you could load a game and suddenly have all attacks available again.

Now, to just have patches store their data in the saved game by themselves is not a very good idea, since every modification would basically create a new version of the saved game format. Since patches can be enabled/disabled individually in the launcher, multiple patches changing the format would create an exponential number of incompatible formats.

Much better is to create one patch to handle the process of reading/writing data, and have other patches depend on it. Now we just have one new version of the format, patches don't have to reinvent the wheel when reading/writing data, and the game can report which patches need to be enabled when loading a game with extension data.

The feature I most desperately need is a reversed version of CivStack so that I can remove airbases from nearly all land squares in all of my scenarios. That would save me many hours of tedious work!

It would be pretty simple to do in TOTPP. I'll see if I can put it in there somewhere.

I have just been testing out all of the TOTPP features and they all work perfectly.

They don't, actually ;). I just found out that ProductionCarryOver is on by default when the patch is enabled. For now, you'd have to set it to 0 explicitly in @COSMIC2, or just leave the patch disabled.

I've added the new features to my work in progress for the Burma Campaign, and it works just as requested, which is really quite brilliant. I realize however, that I was not thinking clearly enough when I asked for independently set movement rates for rail, road and river. What would be even more useful would be to have a setting with no particular movement rate for rivers, ie. you just pay the movement cost of the other terrain in the square. Is it possible? I'm terribly sorry for not thinking this through in the first place.

Best you can do for now is set it to 1.

Okay, I'm confused. I just downloaded this, I uninstalled ToT to clear the Mastermind Patch, then reinstalled it, upgraded it to 1.1, and tried to install this patch. it said at the top, "ToTv1.1," in a green highlighted bar, then, "NOT PATCHED," right next to it in a red highlighted bar, and the patch options and their checkboxes were greyed out. I can't seem to get it to install!

Patine
I had similar problems but overcame them by installing ToT to a new folder on my C drive instead of the the default Program files folder. Either my operating system (Vista) or my security software were blocking the proper installation. After checking out the installation instructions on Catfish's site and installing outside of Program files everything worked fine. Give it a go.

TheNamelessOne
Incorporating CivStack/Unstack into TOTPP would be a very useful utility. Thanks.

Would it be possible to add hotkeys for adding roads, irrigation etc... or is there already a way of doing this?

Patine
I had similar problems but overcame them by installing ToT to a new folder on my C drive instead of the the default Program files folder. Either my operating system (Vista) or my security software were blocking the proper installation. After checking out the installation instructions on Catfish's site and installing outside of Program files everything worked fine. Give it a go.

TheNamelessOne
Incorporating CivStack/Unstack into TOTPP would be a very useful utility. Thanks.

Would it be possible to add hotkeys for adding roads, irrigation etc... or is there already a way of doing this?

Got it to work! Thanks, greatly! However, I'm a bit unclear if the actual number of unit type SLOTS has yet been increased, as the vast variety of units being churned out on the SL and certain statements seem to imply the existence of, or anticipation of, extra such slots being available. As far as I can read in the readme, there's only thus far mention of increasing the NUMBER of actual units in-game total. Are the increase in slots awaiting a future iteration of the patch, or are they there, and, if so, how do I utilize them?

Patine

There are no extra unit slots in the current version of TOTPP. TheNamelessOne would have to let you know whether it's a possibility for a future versions, but if I recall correctly from further back in this thread it sounded unlikely. A pity, but we have been spoiled already :D

A lot of the new units that have been created recently are the by-product of Fairline's work on Open General, Tanelorn and Gareth filling in the blanks for Techumseh's Burma scenario or just for the joy of creating beautiful work.

I noticed a slight bug with the extra cities. In my Aeterna Civitas III scenario save I created a new Seleucid city. For some unknown reason this city took on the responsibility for supporting a vast number of Barbarian units from all over the map. This didn't happen with any subsequent cities I built. I disbanded the city and rebuilt and it no longer supported any other units. However, disbanding the city also appears to have disbanded a lot if the Barbarian units which I will need to cheat back in. This is not the end of the world but it would be interesting to understand why it happened. I can send you the save file if you wanted to take a look.

I'll add some to the existing hotkey patch.

Unfortunately, it still gives a faster route through mountains and other difficult terrain. When you set it for 0, is another result possible?

I'll put this in the next release. Fortunately it's not very hard.

There are no extra unit slots in the current version of TOTPP. TheNamelessOne would have to let you know whether it's a possibility for a future versions, but if I recall correctly from further back in this thread it sounded unlikely. A pity, but we have been spoiled already :D

On the contrary, it is one of my top priorities. I needed the save game extensions first though. Looks like 127 unit types max is easy enough, more (up to 255) would require storing city production differently.

I noticed a slight bug with the extra cities. [...] I can send you the save file if you wanted to take a look.

Sure.

I'll put this in the next release. Fortunately it's not very hard.
That's good news. Thanks.

On the contrary, it is one of my top priorities. I needed the save game extensions first though. Looks like 127 unit types max is easy enough, more (up to 255) would require storing city production differently.

Could there be a separate units file for each civ? Or a separate city file?

Here is the save with the minor bug. I guess it needs checking out in case it leads to bigger issues later on. The city in question is Nikephorion (I think that's the spelling), a Seleucid city in the area of Syria (size 1).

More units would be a fantastic feature. It would certainly make the tech tree a lot more relevant in scenarios, especially in WWII ones where there is an intense technological race going on to produce ever better weapons. It would also bring to life even more of the fantastic units the likes of Fairline and Tanelorn have been churning out recently. Happy days! :goodjob:

Attachments

• ACIII BUG.7z
    970.9 KB · Views: 117
Could there be a separate units file for each civ?

I'll look into that. It would indeed be more flexible than just having a tribe mask (through static.spr), and would also make the separate barb diplomat sprite obsolete.

Here is the save with the minor bug. I guess it needs checking out in case it leads to bigger issues later on. The city in question is Nikephorion (I think that's the spelling), a Seleucid city in the area of Syria (size 1).

Normally, the first time after loading a save with the city patch enabled, the patch converts the home cities of all units (technically, by sign-extending to word-size). It then sets a flag in the saved game so that this doesn't happen again. In your file, this flag is already set, so the conversion never happened. Most apparent effect is that units without a home city (0xFF, -1) are now supported by an actual city (0x00FF, 255). Nikephorion is city #255, so it ends up supporting all those units.

The flag is set in the last two bytes, in your file at offset 0x88bf5 (containing values 05 07). If you set them to 0 the conversion will happen the next time you load the game. Don't know why these bytes were non-zero in the first place, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't set them (they're alignment bytes).

Even though the number of civs may not be increased, would it be possible to at least get rid of the weird color thing where you can't choose two or more civs with the same color to be present on the map? E.g. Russia and Rome are both white, so you can only pick one of them for a single game. Couldn't the game just be made to assign a different color for a civ who's color's already been taken?
EDIT: Better yet, why not make it possible for the player to choose their own color as well? I know you can edit the some-file-or-other (probably Rules.txt) to change this, but what if you want to have a blue Russia now and a green one in the next game (is there even a red color, btw? I don't recall seeing it)... It'd be easier to just pick it with one click.

There are no extra unit slots in the current version of TOTPP. TheNamelessOne would have to let you know whether it's a possibility for a future versions, but if I recall correctly from further back in this thread it sounded unlikely. A pity, but we have been spoiled already

Instead of storing production differently, maybe have the "same" unit in the production queue correspond to different production based on civ. For example, the city is producing "infantry," but when an English city makes an "infantry" it actually gets a "English Infantry" while a French city would get a "French Infantry."

I would also like to suggest (not request) an option for making terrain defence bonuses depend on the unit that is defending, and have the ability to give units a bonus or penalty for attacking into certain terrain types.

I may need help to install this. i had read the instruction's and it wont do anything.:confused:

Top Bottom