Help Wanted Ads

All well and good, guess I got sidetracked a bit too much in my last post; my point seems to have been lost.

This promo critically change early game-play as one instead of relying on str. 0.66 units for 500 turns, one gets str.2 units more or less from the beginning; this removes even the danger posed by str. 5 animals.

Also the difference between scouts and wanderers at lvl. 2-X is now minuscule as they both have str. 2 with the promo. (Scout does not get the elite version of the promo)

Yeah, I was not realizing the wanderer was set quite so high on the quality scale - in light of this and other factors similar, I can see how I need to shift the progression chart one over so that Elite's start with a +1 str promo rather than +2. Good point.

I've gotta say... you've always provided spot on feedback so I shouldn't have been so defensive of it right away lol.

OK I have seen the problem with adding multiple immigrants to a city as a stack, ie you can go over the supposed limit that should be allowed. To fix it may need someone who understands Events.

The mission is active if the city has less than 7 population but does not check how many units that are issued the order . It then issues the event to add the population for each unit in the stack. We use the event so that the python does not have to worry about net node messages in multi player.

Either we need to split the stack when the mission is made to only do it for the correct number of units or we need to change the way the event happens so that if the population has gone over the limit the event does not happen.

Ideas?

OK I have seen the problem with adding multiple immigrants to a city as a stack, ie you can go over the supposed limit that should be allowed. To fix it may need someone who understands Events.

The mission is active if the city has less than 7 population but does not check how many units that are issued the order . It then issues the event to add the population for each unit in the stack. We use the event so that the python does not have to worry about net node messages in multi player.

Either we need to split the stack when the mission is made to only do it for the correct number of units or we need to change the way the event happens so that if the population has gone over the limit the event does not happen.

Ideas?
Where is the can do check made on this? Is it in python or more generic code? I had to add a hard-coded control to the merging and splitting on this to limit it to only units that are not grouped and something similar could easily be done for that mission as well if we knew where to put it.

The mission is python but it calls the event so it may be possible to put a check in the event and return false or something so that it does not add the population and the python does not delete the unit. That is why I was asking for an event expert first. It could be the generic and least work solution.

I've found events to be horrifyingly complex in the code so I'm probably not going to be looking into that anytime soon. So the check to make sure the unit CAN perform the mission is in the python then? That would be the place to put a check to make sure the unit is not grouped if that becomes the solution. That's all I was able to come up with for controlling merge/split issues.

It's interesting that events have anything to do with it. You've got a mission that when activated initiates an event trigger then? I'm not sure how you could control that since the mission would be activated first and it would be perhaps all too specific to that particular mission to place it in an event... trying to think of how to generalize that... maybe a bool tag on the event trigger that first defines it as being sourced by a mission would start the process and then check with each trigger of the mission that the mission can still be initiated by the unit calling it then cancelling the event trigger if it can't. But if the boolean derivation defining when the mission can be initiated by the unit is defined in the python then I'm not sure how the mission trigger processing could possibly call information from the python unless we have the python setting some 3rd function can-do for the mission on that unit and try to enforce that each mission trigger wait to determine if it can fire before the previous mission is completely processed which I'm not even sure if it would... ugh... not so simple.

Perhaps something easier MIGHT be to have a bool tag on the event trigger that defines it as coming from a mission and allowing only one use by a given group with the same number of units, cancelling out each further trigger attempting to call from the same group with the same number of units. This would perhaps make it possible to be able to have a group of units use the mission but only having it work once then cutting the rest of the units off from using the same button press. So theoretically you could have one button press take place after another while leaving your units grouped, each time you hit it only one unit activating the mission. That could help with some other bugs unsolved from BtS vanilla.

Yeah, I was not realizing the wanderer was set quite so high on the quality scale - in light of this and other factors similar, I can see how I need to shift the progression chart one over so that Elite's start with a +1 str promo rather than +2. Good point.

I've gotta say... you've always provided spot on feedback so I shouldn't have been so defensive of it right away lol.

Last example of this: Brute (elite might) → Clubman (exceptional might) = 3 str. → 3 str. [As they both have 25% vs Melee there is no real upgrade]

The promo. makes it too easy to counter barbarians and do early exploration.
I believe it is only imbalanced in early game and would propose to make it require sedentary lifestyle or a tech in that proximity.

Elites now do not gain +2 for their first promotion in that line - now just +1 instead.

There's an upgrade on each promotionline for each era, the strength of the upgrade determined by the potency of the quality. Additionally, lower qualities stop getting further upgrades on these lines after a particular era to the point that only Divine quality really gets the last one opened up at Galactic era.

The main thing that threw this imo was that so many elites existed in prehistoric.

Since there's one layer per era I'd be reluctant to extend a later tech prereq for even the prehistoric era's since ALL of them open up on a tech in the first rung of the era. If I have to add more prereqs to make it more balanced in the earliest eras it will probably be a level prereq of 3 or a Combat II or III prereq though that makes it all the more potent once you get it.

Deepest condolences on your loss. SO.

Sad news.

I made these new icons for resources (parrots, jade & sapphire) and events (nojustice [strongmen event]) today to show support the only way I can.

Dead Link

Been stuck on zara yaqob for some hours now; holy crap, pixel art is difficult to learn. I'm becoming unsure if I'm getting anywhere.

What do you guys think, should I pursue this further?

Image removed

Top Bottom