Fallout 4

I liked the trailer, even though I'm subconsciously angry that I won't be getting TES VI yet. :dunno: That said other than the airships and shinier graphics it really doesn't look that different compared to Fallout 3.

So Boston is the confirmed location, I guess?

It looks too much like Borderlands. And why does every single Fallout game have to take place in the USA ?

For the same reasons why, say, a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game has to take lace in China. America as a setting - both physically, and in terms of deeper themes - is integral to Fallout

Looks like everything will be filthy in the game, again.

Which is just the most boring element of these new Fallout games for me. Okay, society as we know it has collapsed, a sparse few survivors now eek out a hardscrabble life, and somehow that means that no one sweeps their floors?

I think one reason why I've preferred TES over Fallout is that the former feels more populated. Fallout just feels too lifeless for my tastes in comparison. Rather, it's something I can enjoy, sure, but nowhere near as long as I can enjoy TES. Fallout 3 and NV felt like me playing through an episodic TV series. TES felt more like actually exploring a world. But this is a matter of taste I guess.

The art style looks nice, lots of colours and what appears to be more or less in-engine footage at least so props for that. Some of the textures definitely look outdatedly low res though. Bethesda still loves it's weirdly rounded textures so I'm fully expecting all of the same engine bugs and glitches and weird work arounds to be present as were in their last 3/4 games.

It looks too much like Borderlands. And why does every single Fallout game have to take place in the USA ?

Because Fallout is all about a 1950s America that lasted until the 2000s before being bombed into a nuclear apocalyptic wasteland. That's about 3/4ths of it's shtick.

Looks like everything will be filthy in the game, again.

Which is just the most boring element of these new Fallout games for me. Okay, society as we know it has collapsed, a sparse few survivors now eek out a hardscrabble life, and somehow that means that no one sweeps their floors?

You walk through these active buildings with tons of people living and working in them throughout these games and they are all filled with the same refuse as abandoned buildings. It makes no sense. Did the nuclear winter somehow destroy all the brooms in the world?

Additionally, why are there no bicycles in Fallout? It seems to me that a bicycle would be the ideal means of locomotion, but no one seems to have one.

Bicycles at least I can understand since that would be a lot of programming to make them not look awful and play awful and bug out constantly, Bethesda has enough difficulty with that already for other things. Also maybe getting new tires and stuff would be problematic.

I do agree though that not everyone needs to be living in a bloody pig sty, people in mud brick and jungle huts are capable of keeping them fairly clean, even if they have a dirt floor. I too am getting a bit tired of how everyone is (as hard as it is to believe that is possible) messier than my friend's ex I used to share a house with.

I think one reason why I've preferred TES over Fallout is that the former feels more populated. Fallout just feels too lifeless for my tastes in comparison. Rather, it's something I can enjoy, sure, but nowhere near as long as I can enjoy TES. Fallout 3 and NV felt like me playing through an episodic TV series. TES felt more like actually exploring a world. But this is a matter of taste I guess.

TES does give you the feeling of exploring a larger, more varied world yeah, and Fallout is purposefully mostly a wasteland that is filled with deadly monsters. New Vegas didn't help that much by being set in a literal wasteland :p

The horse in The Witcher 3 is pretty well done. The best way to fight groups of strong bandits is from horseback.

Still lots of issues, though I find that half of those stem from it constantly trying to go on autopilot and follow paths and roads (which it does poorly). I like the touches to make it feel like an actual living animal and not a mindless car, definitely a step forward regardless of some awkwardness. The horses look great too and I love the saddles and saddlebag upgrades.

Hugely better than the horses in TES games for sure.

I haven't played The Witcher 3, so how did CD Project Red handle the horse?

Basically it has regenerating stamina that you can use to move faster and you can attack enemies while in full gallop. If you manage to hit an enemy with a sword this way it's an automatic critical hit and I think you also get a damage bonus. It's pretty effective to charge at an enemy, strike, run a bit, turn around and repeat. Requires good timing and works best against human targets. Your horse also has a fear meter that quickly fills up when you're near enemies and quickly goes down. If it's full your horse will throw you off. Monsters will scare it more than human enemies, which is why this tactic is best used against bandits. You can also shoot your crossbow but it's pretty weak.

It's a bit clumsier than horses in Mount&Blade but still better than those in many other games. They tried to make horses act like concious animals instead of drivable robors, the fear meter, they wil ltry and avoid and go around obstacles or stop short of them or steep slopes and cliffs, Roach also won't swim. Unfortunately that isn't reliable and you still run into a tree half the time. Horses and Geralt himself also have a wide turning radius which si neat but still kind of clumsy.

So two steps forward and a step back. Really hope they can polish it up in the Enhanced edition as it can be quite fun and Roach is easily called to you. She also will sometimes wander off if there is a nearby horse to hang out with or food to graze on (ie you're at a village or in a town near a stable).

If you hold down LMB whiel mounted as well it wil lslow down time when you get close to an enemy, helps with actually hitting them.

well I would love to jump on the hype train but considering I own fallout 1, 2, 3, tactics and new vegas and have a combined 5 hours total on them, I should probably skip this one :p at least until it's severely discounted (something in the neighborhood of $5 several years after release sounds about right).

I got 1, 2 and tactics for free in a gog give away, but bought 3 and new vegas during steam sales just off reputation. I got sucked into deadspace series, mass effect 3 and skyrim all about the same time so poor timing by me I guess.

So the game is already available for preorder and is currently one of the top selling games on steam.

Yup, this gonna be as big as Skyrim was, if not bigger. The hype is real. Even I, who proudly proclaims himself to prefer TES over Fallout any day of the week until the day I die, am a bit hyped.

Also it appears that the game will likely be released before the year is over. As Bethesda is trying to reduce the time between announcement and release, hopefully this means that they've taken time to actually tweak and fix their product before being stuck with leaving stuff out because of a gimmicky deadline like with Skyrim.

I'm kinda torn on whether to buy this early on (not preorder, but buy it shortly after it is released) or wait a bit until it's at least around $30/$40. I mean, on one hand, I totally prefer TES over Fallout hands down - my ratio of total hours spent on each franchise is somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1 - so I'm probably not gonna play it as much so it's not gonna be that worthwhile a purchase. On the other hand, it is a Bethesda open-world sandbox RPG, and I did enjoy FO3 and NV (more than, say, Dragon Age, Civ5, or Tropico) just nowhere near as much as TES. I mean the only other company that I ever gave anything close to a blank check was Maxis, back in the 90s and early 00s, before their more recent decline and death.

Hmm. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see more gameplay videos and previews/reviews before I can decide.

Why the hell is the waste land always so brown? Its been hundreds of years, plants would have made a significant comeback. I'm not asking for a lush forest and glad like environment but leaves on trees would be a pretty major improvement!

Also I agree with BvBPL about everything being so dirty. Pretty sure the people would clean their houses etc.

In general I'm exited by this but its going to be a way off yet so my hype train is going to stay in the depot for now.

I would like to get into fallout but after buying fallout 3 and its abysmal compatibility problems and bugs, i must admit i sort of gave up. Can anyone recommend a way of fixing it for me? It constantly freezes. I have tried the unofficial patch but still have the same problems.

I would like to get into fallout but after buying fallout 3 and its abysmal compatibility problems and bugs, i must admit i sort of gave up. Can anyone recommend a way of fixing it for me? It constantly freezes. I have tried the unofficial patch but still have the same problems.
Without knowing anything else, I assume it is due to the Steam copy of fallout missing the d3d9.dll file needed to run the game properly. (Thanks Bethesda!)
Or, the issue is with multithreading and .ini settings.
Look here.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2825612

So the game is already available for preorder and is currently one of the top selling games on steam.

Yup, this gonna be as big as Skyrim was, if not bigger. The hype is real. Even I, who proudly proclaims himself to prefer TES over Fallout any day of the week until the day I die, am a bit hyped.

Also it appears that the game will likely be released before the year is over. As Bethesda is trying to reduce the time between announcement and release, hopefully this means that they've taken time to actually tweak and fix their product before being stuck with leaving stuff out because of a gimmicky deadline like with Skyrim.

I'm kinda torn on whether to buy this early on (not preorder, but buy it shortly after it is released) or wait a bit until it's at least around $30/$40. I mean, on one hand, I totally prefer TES over Fallout hands down - my ratio of total hours spent on each franchise is somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1 - so I'm probably not gonna play it as much so it's not gonna be that worthwhile a purchase. On the other hand, it is a Bethesda open-world sandbox RPG, and I did enjoy FO3 and NV (more than, say, Dragon Age, Civ5, or Tropico) just nowhere near as much as TES. I mean the only other company that I ever gave anything close to a blank check was Maxis, back in the 90s and early 00s, before their more recent decline and death.

Hmm. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see more gameplay videos and previews/reviews before I can decide.

I would just wait. What do you get by preordering now? Witcher 3 at least was like 10% off and ran promos where you got free copies of 1 and 2 (that you probably already owned). Other games give dlc for preordering, etc. There's no point right now in preordering vs buying the day of release, and you can get more info by waiting until release.

I would just wait. What do you get by preordering now? Witcher 3 at least was like 10% off and ran promos where you got free copies of 1 and 2 (that you probably already owned). Other games give dlc for preordering, etc. There's no point right now in preordering vs buying the day of release, and you can get more info by waiting until release.

I did say that I meant "not preorder, but [rather] buy it shortly after it is released" when I said buy early. :p

I'm pretty sure GMG is gonna have a 20-25% off voucher that'll be available for use on it anyways that I can use if I decide to buy it once it comes out.

Actually I might want to wait a bit anyways, like at least a week or two. I do like using the online wikis to help guide me through the Bethesda games when I start out, and hopefully there will be a few nice mods I can use.

I'm just gonna wait because I'm half expecting it to be some mainstreamed, consolified abomination...

I am 100% confident that the UI will be utter garbage until a modder fixes it. Why are people still pre-ordering games ? Hasn't humanity learned anything ?

Ugh, I loved New Vegas... seriously my favorite RPG experience of the 21st century.

I really really hope Fallout 4 is good, or if not, that Obsidian gets involved again at some point.

Wow, haven't seen anyone else who enjoyed the game as much as me. But maybe because I grew up in the area Fallout: New Vegas takes place in is one reason I love it so much. I even went to 1st grade in Goodsprings Elementary school in real life. Just the other day driving back from vacation along the Colorado river, that got me in the mood for Fallout: New Vegas.

I love that game. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, I'm hoping they learned a thing or two about how to design characters, quests, and story from Obsidian. But I know it won't be as good as NV. Bethesda characters just seem hollow, and I don't care about them. Where I did care about Cass and her whiskey drinking ways. But honestly I don't remember one character I cared about in Skyrim. I'm not sure why they can't create good characters. I enjoyed all the characters in NV except maybe ED-E. I only wish they had more dialogue and quests associated with them. Even Dog from the dlc was a pretty good character. And Arcade, Raul, even Lily beats anything Bethesda can do.

The horse in The Witcher 3 is pretty well done.
Haven't played Mount and Blade or anything like that, but for considering horses are pretty new for this type of game (Dragon Age, Witcher series), it's well done. Much better than Dragon Ages horses. I almost never used my horse in DA:Inquisition.

Top Bottom