JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Henry was sort of a dying breed of medieval-type kings - one of those pious-warrior kings. You're right to associate jousting with the middle ages, but so too you should associate Henry. Before he decided he was supreme religious head, he was a fairly typical medieval king, and I opted to focus on his ego-maniacal, quest-for-glory, chivalrous side (and save everything else for E&D).

Any typical Briton should associate British marksmanship with the Battle of Agincourt. This was obviously before Henry's time, but the rivalry with France was still the same and, come to think of it, the claim on the French crown pretty much ended after Henry's death. Regardless, it evokes the same ideals - as does the Jousting Grounds - in reflecting Henry's quest for self-serving glory (much like Louis, hence the two share similar in-game focuses - of course, unlike Louis, Henry was a relatively terrible king).

Most importantly, though, with a UA based around conquest, and Elizabeth's conversely based around exploration and colonisation, Henry is the natural choice for the Longbowman.

Cleared cache and only loaded the Turks and Cultural Diversity, started as Islamic. Loaded all other mods, start as colonial.

Attachments

• Logs.7z
    27 KB · Views: 52
Someone's mod doesn't reference CulDiv, thereby causing the Civilization_JFD_CultureTypes table - where all cultures are assigned - to be created by that mod. This means that that mod is creating a table which lacks the ArtDefineTag column.

As a general rule, modders should stop using a trigger for adding Civ IV Traits support - obviously it's a habit started by me, but I dunno why I did it, and it really is unnecessary if you add a reference. It'll prevent the hundreds of times I see my triggers (which always need unique names) appear in other civs.

Lithunia is the new Normandy

Thats like saying Mussolini is the new Pope :confused:
Now the U.S is the new Goths. (yeah thats America, making inaccurate historical comparisons since our formation !!!, go egotism and fake populism!!! :cool:)

I gave my opinion, but in the end it's up to you to decide what to do. I like brainstorming ideas when it comes down to theorycrafting, but in the end it's just my thoughts and you decide what to do, it's your stuff.

I gave my opinion, but in the end it's up to you to decide what to do. I like brainstorming ideas when it comes down to theorycrafting, but in the end it's just my thoughts and you decide what to do, it's your stuff.

You did, but you need not have framed it like you did.

Thats like saying Mussolini is the new Pope :confused:
Now the U.S is the new Goths. (yeah thats America, making inaccurate historical comparisons since our formation !!!, go egotism and fake populism!!! :cool:)

He meant because Lithuania has gone many moons now without update, without expectation of update any time soon, much like Normandy and HRE before it.

Henry is the natural choice for the Longbowman.

Just to be clear, in Henry's times the longbowmen were still considered main line troops, and archery training was widespread and encouraged. Also, despite the long training required to wield the longbow, they were still cheaper to manufacture and maintain than firearms. English ship crews had contingents of longbowmen as their skirmishing force - as attested by the longbows found in the wreckage of Henry's carrack warship, the "Mary Rose", which sank in mid-16th century.

Also, Henry is the chronologically earliest English civ in JFD's tally (Anglo-Saxons don't quite count as that), so it's the only possible place for the longbowmen to be.

Just to be clear, in Henry's times the longbowmen were still considered main line troops, and archery training was widespread and encouraged. Also, despite the long training required to wield the longbow, they were still cheaper to manufacture and maintain than firearms. English ship crews had contingents of longbowmen as their skirmishing force - as attested by the longbows found in the wreckage of Henry's carrack warship, the "Mary Rose", which sank in mid-16th century.

Also, Henry is the chronologically earliest English civ in JFD's tally (Anglo-Saxons don't quite count as that), so it's the only possible place for the longbowmen to be.

Honestly I blame the whole "historically appropriate" arguement on our archetypical interpretations of what the so-called "Dark Ages" and the Medieval Ages were, with the supposed chivalrous and physical action it was mostly due to the fact that perhaps a majority of Military Technology was centered around close-quarters infantry or the pop culture of today that a lot people usually think that from the 10th to the 14th century that a majority of battles fought was just sword swing or maces and shield clashing. Essentially what I'm trying to say is a lot of people really undermine technology of that time, both innovative and militaristic so ranged combat did exist such as the longbowmen and crossbowmen and are historically fitting for the time. :p

TIL : Azincourt is spelled Agincourt in English for some reason. Beating us there was not enough, you had to go and misspell the name too ?

Out of the British leaders JFD has, Henry is clearly the best one for Longbowmen regardless.

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the FDR mod but every time I select a policy I am unable to choose between merchant points/gold or engineer points/hammers, as per the civ's UA. Is there supposed to be a separate screen that pops up to ask me which I want? Is it something I must click? Nothing is showing up indicating I may choose one or the other. I thought maybe the problem was that I needed to build a market or workshop before this UA would "kick in" but that was to no avail. Perhaps, I thought, it only applies post-ideology, but alas that didn't change things.

I'm on a mac (steam), running brave new world, using only info addict, and everything else for FDR works as it should (I'm able to get an ideology after one assembly plant).

I feel like I'm missing something, perhaps something basic I'm overlooking. Can anyone help with me with this? I thank you (so much) in advance for any help!

Beakers

I was looking through Louis XIV's code to get an understanding of it, and this snippet was interesting:

Code:
if isFranceCivActive then
	print("King Majesty-Fabulous-Sexy-Marvellous Louis XIV is in this game")
end

That's just his full regal name. It's like how Hussein ibn Ali of Mecca's full name was al-Husayn ibn `Ali ibn Muhammad ibn `Abd al-Mu`in ibn `Awn ibn Muhsin ibn `Abd Allah ibn al-Husayn ibn `Abd Allah ibn al-Hasan ibn Muhammad Abi Numayy II ibn Barakat II ibn Muhammad I ibn Barakat I ibn al-Hasan ibn `Ajlan ibn Rumaythah ibn Muhammad Abi Numayy I ibn Abi Sa`d al-Hasan ibn `Ali al-Akbar ibn Qatadah ibn Idris ibn Muta`in ibn `Abd al-Karim ibn `Isa ibn al-Husayn ibn Sulayman ibn `Ali ibn `Abd Allah al-Akbar ibn Muhammad ath-Tha'ir ibn Musa II ibn `Abd Allah ash-Shaykh as-Salih ibn Musa al-Jawn ibn `Abd Allah al-Mahd ibn al-Hasan al-Muthanna ibn al-Hasan ibn `Ali ibn Abi Talib.

Top Bottom