Civilization VI announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebug

Not-so Great Engineer
This thread CAN be on-topic to the C&C forums as long as we make it so.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/
Here's the steam page to Civ VI.

Yes, this is the Civ V forum but since there's no Civ VI forum the latest civ game seems like the best place to discuss everyones plans for modding.

IF Civ VI is moddable to a similiar or better level then Civ V then how many people here will continue onto Civ VI? who thinks they won't have the money to move out of here and to new horizons? who plans on pre-ordering (schmucks), getting those DLCs and learning modding from day one? Will cartoony graphics make it easier or harder to make UUs? we will seemingly be unable to convert old units without them looking out of place. Will UBs be harder because you can physically see them and manually place them on the map?
OPINIONS PEOPLE! i want to hear them alllll!

I will probably buy it ASAP (but not pre-order unless the DLC is good), but won't start modding until i understand the game more.

For those who can't click links
Spoiler :

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
ACTIVE RESEARCH:
Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.

Images
Spoiler :

The screens look more "cartoonish" than Civ5, somewhat similar to CivRev.

The features listed are too vague to draw any conclusions.

If I like it and it's moddable like Civ5 or more, then I will switch to modding it indeed, but probably not right from the start, I will wait for some patches and expansions first. And of course I need to release my long awaited mod for Civ5 :)

There is a Civ 6 forum, I think, but this is a good spot to discuss the impact on Civ 5 Modding, or potential hurdles to porting things to Civ 6...

I'm definitely waiting on hard details before coming to any conclusions. Sounds like they have some good ideas, but they can definitely go wrong.

Approaching with caution. Gameplay changes sound very cool and seem to be so far - essentially - as an improvement and streamline over Civ 5's, for example the 1UPT solution. I like that.

City districts sound interesting as well, but you gotta wonder, how will it affect unique buildings (if they exist at all in Civ 6).

I am disappointed by the art style of the world map though. Cities and units look cool - just what we liked in Civ 5, mixed with a bit of Civ 4's cities that displayed various buildings and landmarks. But the overall focus on exaggerated, cartoonish proportions along with the pictures being so saturated and bright is a terrible decision in my opinion. I was hoping for a graphical upgrade that newer mid-tier PCs can handle, and not for a downgrade to mobile-game level aesthetics. Here's hoping we can change the saturation of the graphics/shaders and reskin the map more easily than in Civ 5. I think I can safely say that I prefer the more grandiose, realistic art style of Civ 5 so far.

Waiting to see UI elements, choice of icons and leaders. I do hope some of our Civ 5 creations will be portable to Civ 6 without issue. But if leaders end up being more cartoony as well - as hinted in one online article as being "more expressive" with "more animations" - I'd be very disappointed, as that would bring us back to Civ 4 level of goofy diplomacy. (and then I'd grudgingly do 100+ new leaderscreens).

So yeah - disappointed at first impressions, but cautiously looking forward to updates and improvements.

Well, the art style shift will make it hard to reuse art made for Civ5 in there. So that is a bummer already.

Not a fan of the art tbh, but the upgraded mechanics sound nice.
That being said, I saw this edit on :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :)
Spoiler :
Seems a lot better tbh

EDIT: Is this the name of that website seriously banned here? lmao

It's entirely possible that they will change the lighting (Since they still can between now and october) or make it possible to remove and bloom and over-saturation in graphics options.

Just for all you wondering too:
Everything that was added in Civ V expansions (religion, trade, etc.) that we had to wait for will be available in the base game of Civ VI. they aren't being ****s this time.

Everything that was added in Civ V expansions (religion, trade, etc.) that we had to wait for will be available in the base game of Civ VI. they aren't being ****s this time.

This is the best news today. However, a lot of civilizations will be locked behind DLCs again. And the preorder is prohibitively expensive for me on Steam (80 Euro for deluxe edition with discounted 4 first DLCs, that is 350 PLN or quarter of a month's average wage). Will have to wait for a physical copy with a steam key that will likely come at 150PLN price tag. I did that with base Civ 5 as well, though, so I should stop complaining about that. :p

I don't think the art is that bad but it might be a result of me playing with a fairly high saturation thanks to CS: GO, so I'm more used to it.

Also being a Nintendo fan helps.

It's entirely possible that they will change the lighting (Since they still can between now and october) or make it possible to remove and bloom and over-saturation in graphics options.

Wonder whether all the Civs will make it over too. From the screenshots we can see Japan and Egypt. The Blue/White one can be either USA or Portugal, since Japan had its colors inverted by Egypt did not

This makes the expansions even more exciting, as they won't just be adding the things the game was missing compared to the previous once. I do hope they change the lighting though, or if not, that it is at least easily moddable - aside from the ugly borders, the picture above looks fine (even though I still prefer Civ V graphically).
By the way, did anyone notice how this time, it seems like there finally are ethnic units?

Wonder whether all the Civs will make it over too. From the screenshots we can see Japan and Egypt. The Blue/White one can be either USA or Portugal, since Japan had its colors inverted by Egypt did not
We can't be really sure about that - remember that in BE, the borders' color scheme was the inverse of Civ V.

It looks like religion is back in Vanilla? :)

But man, I can't wait for a realistic terrain textures mod and something to rescale the units.

I think we now know one of the topics for Modcast next time we record!

I really don't want to be the one guy on it who's disappointed and complains about everything in advance, but it's so hard not to be right now. :p There's hoping new previews shed some more light and change my mind.

Also, the reception of the new art style is VERY poor across all the media. Hope Firaxis listens to this feedback. I haven't seen such a coherent negative reaction in a long time.

(except about that ripped off Sri Lanka mod a few days back) :p

But man, I can't wait for a realistic terrain textures mod and something to rescale the units.

Ditto.

mobile-game level aesthetics.
Next update about Sid Meier's Civilization VI - "perfectly compatible with iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Introducing a new multiplayer real-time game mode with thousands of micro-transactions available, including tech boosts, hurry-a-building and instaheal, ensuring fun with the whole family for years to come!" :c5unhappy:

Waiting to see UI elements, choice of icons and leaders. I do hope some of our Civ 5 creations will be portable to Civ 6 without issue. But if leaders end up being more cartoony as well - as hinted in one online article as being "more expressive" with "more animations" - I'd be very disappointed, as that would bring us back to Civ 4 level of goofy diplomacy. (and then I'd grudgingly do 100+ new leaderscreens).
The new flavoured ancient era diplomacy options just leaked - "Your head would look good on the end of a pole" and "There shall be peace in our time!" :lol:

Seriously, there are too many ways this game could turn off worse - at last hand the task for a good Civ experience could fall on us modders to make. Though, the new mechanics actually look very nice, and if the game be extremely enjoyable, I can forgive most of the graphics, looking good in their own way. Not the Civ 6 way I hoped, but in their own, cute way.

This makes the expansions even more exciting, as they won't just be adding the things the game was missing compared to the previous once. I do hope they change the lighting though, or if not, that it is at least easily moddable - aside from the ugly borders, the picture above looks fine (even though I still prefer Civ V graphically).
By the way, did anyone notice how this time, it seems like there finally are ethnic units?

We can't be really sure about that - remember that in BE, the borders' color scheme was the inverse of Civ V.

Egypt and Japan are certainly there, look at those ethnic archers and Samurai. Portugal/USA is a guess based on the fact that the color schemes are returning. But one Civ had its color scheme inverted, hence we can't be sure which one it is yet.

Huh, I thought it was Japan and Rome in those screenies.

I'd be interested to see which new civs are being introduced - I presume that we'll be getting the 'classic civs' of England, Rome, Egypt, the USA etc., but beyond that I'll be interested to see what they choose. Presumably with a more varied cast than the original Civ v launch :p

The fact that all of the current mechanics will be returning in vanilla also makes me interested in what the expansions could bring - along with if they change the UA/UU/UB status for civs.

Cautiously optimistic - especially if the art style is toned down - and if Sean Bean is the tech narrator :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom