Terrain Texture Enhancement 2k

Yes I mean that if it is a hill that the texture is normal and if it is a flatland tile, it is blurry.. I have a suspicion..

Much better!

Yes, I meant the transition from desert/snow to other tiles. New looks way more natural :salute:

*agitates mightily for the next version*

I altered the plain textures a bit, so that they will differ a bit from grassland (thanks Elhoim for your feedback). The problem with grassland and plains is, that both terrains are very hard to make.
I mean by looking at it from a satellite perspective, they would both look just the same. This is why I would like to see someone that could perform some magic and creates a grassland tile with real grass on it.. :lol:

I'll play spoiler and say that I like the more subtle difference between grasslands and plains :D. It makes the map look a lot less like a jigsaw puzzle. There's still an obvious difference between the two, once your eye is trained, and it remains very simple to distinguish terrain by looking at yields or tooltips.

To each their own, but I enjoy the realistic angle you've taken so far.

Do you mean the opposite? I.e., blurred if hill/coast (as in the pic)?
It appears to be because the height map results in a stretched and warped version of the texture. Not much you can do about it with the way these deformations are applied (besides making everything less sharp to blend better).

I do remove some of the mountain textures from this mod for exactly that reason... the vanilla textures tend to work better in some cases. Africa and Asia, I think... have to check... look a bit mushy. The overall look is still good, despite what you've noted with hill tiles.

I am going to ignore those blurry issues, because I don't know if this is related to limited VRAM or if this is an issue with CIV V. The problem is, that the game will display some textures with the wrong Mipmap. So normally you would have sharp textures in front of you and having lower Mipmap levels in the background, because of the distance you wouldn't see the loss of details anyway. CIV V however tends to use the wrong mipmap and this will result in a blurry texture. I don't think that this can be fixed.

The borders between deserve and grassland are so snaky it looks horrible! Everything else is an improvement over base atm.

Version 11 released. I divided V11 into two parts, so users can pick the version to their liking.

Changelog:
  • Replaced most alpha channels to have a better transition between different terrain tiles.
  • Added altered water texture, a more blueish one
  • New River texture for new water texture
  • V11 Smooth: Plain and Grassland share the same color space. The transition is very nicely, but to distinguish both terrain types from each other, you have to know their terrain details.
  • V11 Differ: Plain and Grassland use different color space, so the difference between the two terrain types is more noticeable.
You have to download V10 first, before you can download and use one of those two V11's.

I want to inform you about the possibility to use the "Terrain Texture Enhancement 2k" in a modular way. If you don't like a specific texture, or if you liked a texture of an older version a bit more, you are free to delete/replace this texture in the DLC folder (TTE_2k). Next time you load the game, you will see the difference immediately.

Hi, been using V10 for a while and it looks great. One of the problems with the standard textures, for me, was differentiating grass and plains. I think V10 improved this slightly but I'm really looking froward to trying the new V11 Differ version.

A couple of questions about installation of the update. Can I just drag the TTE_2k folder from the zip file to DLC folder and it will sort it all out for me, or do I need to do something more? From the OP "Please delete generic_snow_h.dds and generic_snow_h_sm.dds", in my V10 installation I see only generic_snow_d.dds and generic_snow_s.dds. What should I do about that?

Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for the your efforts in making this mod. BTW, I really like that it's DLC now, so no messing about at startup :)

Hi, been using V10 for a while and it looks great. One of the problems with the standard textures, for me, was differentiating grass and plains. I think V10 improved this slightly but I'm really looking froward to trying the new V11 Differ version.

A couple of questions about installation of the update. Can I just drag the TTE_2k folder from the zip file to DLC folder and it will sort it all out for me, or do I need to do something more? From the OP "Please delete generic_snow_h.dds and generic_snow_h_sm.dds", in my V10 installation I see only generic_snow_d.dds and generic_snow_s.dds. What should I do about that?

Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for the your efforts in making this mod. BTW, I really like that it's DLC now, so no messing about at startup :)
I will delete the note about removing those two dds-files. I realized that it was only on my side. Sorry. I wasn't sure if I already added or removed them, sometimes it can be very difficult to track changes if you are messing around with textures :lol:

So your question. Just copy the TTE_2k of V11 to steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC. Windows will ask you then if you want to overwrite some files. Hit yes and enjoy the new update.

P.S. Nice that you enjoy the modification.

@Estebanium
Just logged in (my last login was on Feb 07, 2006 :D) to thank you for this modpack.
I rarely have time to game so much due to a heavy workload but this mod along with the Enhanced User Interface reinvigorated my interest in CIV 5 again.
It looks amazing running either at 3440X1440 or on my 2K monitor.
Looking forward to CIV 6 now but this is helping fill the gap. Again thanks for the work you put in!!

Thank you guys that you like the latest changes. It seem so that about 64% like V11 Differ and 36% the smooth version. Is there anyone that has more than 2 GB of VRAM? I would be very interested in a feedback of how the textures behave with e.g. 4 GB of VRAM. Are some textures still blurry? There is nothing I could do if it is still the case, but maybe this is just the game, handling the limited VRAM.

Thank you guys that you like the latest changes. It seem so that about 64% like V11 Differ and 36% the smooth version. Is there anyone that has more than 2 GB of VRAM? I would be very interested in a feedback of how the textures behave with e.g. 4 GB of VRAM. Are some textures still blurry? There is nothing I could do if it is still the case, but maybe this is just the game, handling the limited VRAM.

My Evga GTX1070 FTW (8GB) arrives on Tuesday. Will test and revert.

I have a 4GB card (nvidia 760) and don't notice any blur on either hills or flat tiles. Only mountain textures look a bit soft. I'll try putting them back in and observe without tessellation, since that only effects mountains iirc. Likewise, I can try mountain textures on their own.

Using the differing version at the moment. I like it better than I thought I would... the difference is not that pronounced. It's nice to have alternates :)

Thank you for this mod. It really helps my old eyes see the difference between terrain types. I consider it essential

Still using it and loving it. Thanks again, incredible.

I would like to thank you for this wonderful mod.
It is amazing what modders are still doing to this game on the eve of its successor's launch.

This mod seems really cool! The closest I'd been using for a while was the Faerun mod on Steam's art assets, just to give the game some graphical variety, but this is closer to what I've wanted.

Sadly, I can't get the DLC to load. I've followed the directions to a T several times--extracted TTK folder to C://Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/DLC folder, then copied the updated files from v11 into the same location. I cleared my appropriate folders as well in the My Documents subfolder (Cache, Logs, ModUserData). Nothing new shows up in the in-game DLC menu, and the in-game textures look exactly the same.

If anyone can help me figure out where I've gone wrong, I'd be grateful!

Top Bottom