• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civilization 6 for Mac?? Release date?

Is it a good sign that mac OS is listed here? Maybe they are already playing on mac? The normal steam page still doesn't show anything about mac.
https://steamdb.info/app/289070/

"This site is not affiliated with Valve, Steam"

So I'm guessing their info is based on the fact that a Mac version was announced, and nothing more official than that. Then again a Linux version was also announced and it's not on that site...

I'd wait for the info to show up officially before getting my hopes up about anything.

So I'm guessing their info is based on the fact that a Mac version was announced...
I do not think the SteamDB folks enter hardly any information by hand, and if that is so, they would not care about announcements, just what the data streams report. But it is odd that it would show “macOS” compatibility and support for SteamPlay -- but not the penguin icon for Linux.

They also report a couple dozen people playing VI via steam right now:
https://steamdb.info/app/289070/graphs/

Wow, I missed that. They used to be great about supporting Macs. I never did buy StartCraft II, so I guess that makes me part of the problem!

Nah, Mac sales have been good, they announced explicitly that weak graphics cards and outdated OpenGL support are the reasons. World of Warcraft supports Metal now, but apparently it has a number of limitations, compared to OpenGL even.

I agree. Firaxis seems to have passed on that. It makes no sense to me!

They've released a couple versions of CivRev for iOS, and a few other titles such as Ace Patrol. Not sure how well they've performed for them. The iOS port of X-Com is really good, albeit limited a bit compared to the desktop version. That was done by Feral Interactive though.

Can you share their exact phrasing?

It was a discussion on the Aspyr support forums, doesn't seem to be there anymore, sorry.

Not fixing Mac-specific bugs is a different thing. (I agree that Aspyr dropped the ball there, and I agree that Aspry does not provide good customer support generally. I just disagree that they deserve all the scorn you are giving them.) The version of Python available might not have been under their control. Again, I will point to the deeply flawed choices Firaxis has made (and continues to make). Technologies like Python (and now Lua) were developed largely in response to the frustrations developers had with the old ways of doing things, including DLLs. And then Firaxis goes with this Frankenstein’s Monster approach where they mix the good new with the terrible old. They program like kids in high school. But you point the finger at Aspyr?

I point the finger at both. Firaxis code in a fashion that is terrible for cross platform support, and then Aspyr take further shortcuts that makes it impossible for fans/modders to even try workaround the limitations.

We can agree he is a saint! The support he provided for SMACX was even more amazing! Where is he now?

He works for Feral Interactive now, yet another reason I hope they're chosen over Aspyr.

That is an interesting point! Anyone happen to know anything about how that came to pass? Did Aspyr do the BE port?

That's because they're based on the Civ5 engine, which was already ported. All the hardest work had already been done. Civ6 is an entirely new engine, so will take much longer to port.

I really appreciate your perspective Xyth.

The iOS port of X-Com is really good
Thanks for that tip! I have nothing on my phone, and a long commute. I tried the CivRev demo -- and that put me off CivRev.

…and then Aspyr take further shortcuts that makes it impossible for fans/modders to even try workaround the limitations.
Some of that is no doubt true. Does anyone ever say anything nice about Aspyr? But some of what you may asking for boils down to being hard unsolved problems for computer science.

That's because they're based on the Civ5 engine, which was already ported.
So it was Aspyr then? I imagine it says in the splash screen. I am a terrible customer. I played the heck out of SMACX, but I am scared BE will spoil my found memories!

But some of what you may asking for boils down to being hard unsolved problems for computer science.

No, the problem of writing cross-platform code has been solved. It just has to be done.

So my question is, as a Mac user, would using Bootcamp slow/hinder/dull performance vs. buying the game through the app store?

MacRumors.com says that Mac will be updating the MacBooks and iMacs in October. Last year there was an update to the iMacs on 13 October, so perhaps that's the date to watch. iMacs, at least, are supposed to be getting new GPU and CPUs, with the GPUs being near-top-of-the-line AMD models.

That could give us all a very narrow window (13 - 21 October) to decide whether we have to plunge for a new PC or a new Mac, or can stay with what we have ...

I bought my Mac Pro in May 2015....when it is released for Mac it SHOULD be able to run on my version, right?

So my question is, as a Mac user, would using Bootcamp slow/hinder/dull performance vs. buying the game through the app store?
I don’t really like Bootcamp, but people on the forum report a better experience with CivV under Bootcamp than running CivV under OS X.

I will also point out that if you want civ under bootcamp, get the Steam versions rather than the App Store version — since that way you only have to pay for it once.

I bought my Mac Pro in May 2015....when it is released for Mac it SHOULD be able to run on my version, right?
You will be fine for sure. I am also pretty confident that any Macs purchase in the last couple of years will be okay too. We have to wait for the port, and the hardware specifications, but the hardware requirements for CivV (and other cross-platform games as well) have been for the same CPUs and similar video cards. The Windows PC hardware requirements seem very modest to me.

The only sticking points have been games that really needed the very latest video cards, Oculus Rift being a good example, and the Macs with truly marginal video cards. I think the most recent of the last batch was in 2012 with the Mini and the Air — which use Intel HD Graphics 4000. iMacs and MacBook Pros from 2011 have better video than that.

No, the problem of writing cross-platform code has been solved. It just has to be done.

Well... no. You could write cross-platform code until you have to use system calls, which for video game engine means you can't write cross-platform code. Mac and Linux share a lot of system APIs (POSIX, OpenGL, etc.), so significant parts of the code could be ported between them, but Windows is too different.

The first XCOM was written in some modified Unreal Engine, which already had versions for most modern platforms. So, it's portability is not an indication - it's millions of dollars invested by UE developers to write code for each platform.

Does anyone ever say anything nice about Aspyr?

They were a great company 20 years ago. Does that count?

The only sticking points have been games that really needed the very latest video cards, Oculus Rift being a good example, and the Macs with truly marginal video cards. I think the most recent of the last batch was in 2012 with the Mini and the Air — which use Intel HD Graphics 4000. iMacs and MacBook Pros from 2011 have better video than that.

That's the reason I "upgraded" to a refurb Mid 2012 MBP for BE last year (Geforce GT 650M). That model laptop has more bang for the buck and is better for gaming than ANY laptop they've made since. The decline of Apple is sad. A refurb with dedicated video is still a solid option if you can find one.

"This site is not affiliated with Valve, Steam"

So I'm guessing their info is based on the fact that a Mac version was announced, and nothing more official than that. Then again a Linux version was also announced and it's not on that site...

I'd wait for the info to show up officially before getting my hopes up about anything.

Yeah, I'm waiting, but I just really wanted to preorder so I could get the Aztecs right away instead of having to wait for three months.

Yeah, I'm waiting, but I just really wanted to preorder so I could get the Aztecs right away instead of having to wait for three months.

For all we know the game will finally arrive for Mac 3 months after release, lol..

Maybe I'm getting older but I'm just not in a rush to "get it ASAP" anymore (whatever "it" is, not just CiVI in specific), so I really don't mind getting the Aztecs later, and getting some bugfix/balance patches in the deal, too, in addition to some Mac-specific bugs too of course :lol:

I'm running Civ V on a Macbook Pro purchased in 2011, and it works just fine.

I'm running Civ V on a Macbook Pro purchased in 2011, and it works just fine.

Pros have quite good performance. The rest of Macs - not so much. Most of Pros also have decent dedicated graphic cards.

Pros have quite good performance. The rest of Macs - not so much. Most of Pros also have decent dedicated graphic cards.
I am running V on 2011 iMac and it also fine. It is just those few models with that Intel 3000/4000 that were so terrible, the “the rest of the Macs” have video comparable to the MBP.

I'm not sure if I understand your question but bootcamp isn't a wrapper or virtual machine. You boot your computer up using Windows as the operating system. No hit from using bootcamp, just the obvious hits from Windows and whatever hardware you're using. You'll need to purchase a copy of windows though.

As stated above, if you decide on bootcamp, use Steam. Pay once, play on both platforms. The caveat to that is it must be available on Steam on both platforms. Call of duty, I believe, was only released on the app store.

Good discussion anyway. Learning lots and nice to see other mac users posting...

I am running V on 2011 iMac and it also fine. It is just those few models with that Intel 3000/4000 that were so terrible, the “the rest of the Macs” have video comparable to the MBP.

I've been running Civ V with loads of mods, usually on Huge maps, for two years now on an 'early 2012' (2 upgrades ago) iMac with no problem.

Top Bottom