CBP players, what do you think about Civ VI so far?

A couple neat ideas mixed in with a ton of mess. It certainly needs time to cook more and perhaps some player mods.

I don't like the move to a more cartoonly graphical style. I think I can live with it if everything else is fixed up.

Further thoughts:
Culture and Science are accumulated way too fast and Production way too slow. Takes fifty years to build a thing (unless DISCOUNT POLICIES), and only a second to get a tech/culture even on Epic, like, even with an insane +6 Prod Hanse, building stuff takes 5 years anyway. 'Tis not fast enough. As it is, I''d increase culture + science costs by 25%, and reduce Production costs by 25-30%.

Starts are TOO defining. It's too random based.

The AI doesn't shut up. Ever. Doesn't help how bland the AI leaders are, despite cartooniness. They just... don't seem alive, even when they move a lot, probably because of scenes going to dark before changing the scenery. That sucks. It was way better in civ 5...

It's been 3 or 4 hours I've played this, but I'm already tired sick of Victoria, Girugameshu and Pedro. They never shut up. At least Roosevelt said 3 things at the beginning and never bothered me again. so I like him.

The AI doesn't know what it's doing, it is just coded to relentlessly declare war on you to make it appear smart. It's been 5 wars with Victoria I've had, and by now I'm just bored of them. She can't do anything to my ARRER BOYZ

Archers are real OP btw. Best XP promos, best everything.

UI is awful. You must memorise where what is in what district.

But the game is stilll fun...

Same feelings about the "weird" UI coloring schema (Devs decided to use) & specifically, how contrast between Fog/Revealed areas should really get a dedicated settings option for anyone willing to adjust whatever palette could fix it all in one big HUD swoop.

I suppose some Modding magic will soon take over that issue for us all -- sooner the better, AFAIC.

Don't get me wrong, I think Civ 6 makes some really good choices overall. Do I think it deserves to be at a 94% metacritic? Not really, especially since the most common conclusion from users is that it will be good 'with some DLC and/or patches.' That, in my opinion, warrants any product an automatic downgrade to a B/B+ at best.

Don't get me wrong, I think Civ 6 makes some really good choices overall. Do I think it deserves to be at a 94% metacritic? Not really, especially since the most common conclusion from users is that it will be good 'with some DLC and/or patches.' That, in my opinion, warrants any product an automatic downgrade to a B/B+ at best.

That's 94% from the "unbiased" press. 82% from the people.

Still, both are too high imho. I agree the game is fun and I can see a 9/10 title shining underneath the cover of THE UI, but THE UI itself makes it a 6/10 at best. I don't know who thought making something this uninformative, unintuitive and unfriendly was a good idea, but I hope he gets fired. Civ 5 was pretty bad in this regard, but not this bad.

If THE UI gets fixed (build queue added, making stuff more informative, XP/promos more informative, GP interface less awful) and other stuff like the stupidest warmongering modifier (kill invading force on your lands = you are a warmongerer), really stupid AI and other stuff is fixed, it will be great.

But by that time, half of the Deluxe DLC will be released, if not all of them. Perhaps even the first expansion. Or the second.

Yup. Not sure how this one slipped by. They have just slightly less melee strength than the units that can only do melee. Strange choice.

Try Horses too. Especially with +100% production policy (who at Firaxis thought those numbers were right?). Doubly so with Scythia.

I'm back to VP for the time being until they make it so the UI doesn't hurt my soul to look at, or a modder ""helps" them with that since I doubt any unholy being that designed this atrocity could ever do anything right, especially considering it's so bad DESPITE having lots of good examples to look at. The guy ought've just played Civ 5 with EUI to borrow some ideas! Nobody would be mad.

Right now it seems rather boring. Counterintuitive UI and terrible color palette isn't helping. Oh, and I can't rename my civ or even my cities! I love creating my own narrations and such lack of customization makes me really disappoint. But I guess that after few years, two expansions, five patches and three mods it can be almost as fun as Civ V with Vox Populi or Civ IV with Caveman to Cosmos.

Last edited:
I'm completely shocked that no one mentioned this yet, but was I the only one actually using the mouse to scroll the map? Why did they decide to just nuke this feature completely?
Sure there is an option to enable mouse-scrolling, but it clearly isn't working properly, move the mouse too much in a direction and the scrolling just stops.

I'm completely shocked that no one mentioned this yet, but was I the only one actually using the mouse to scroll the map? Why did they decide to just nuke this feature completely?
Sure there is an option to enable mouse-scrolling, but it clearly isn't working properly, move the mouse too much in a direction and the scrolling just stops.

I wish it has WASD camera support.

I've always scrolled by grabbing the map, but I play in windowed mode. I really miss the smoothness of civ5's scroll and zoom... the inertia let's you sort of flick the map quickly to wherever you want, once you get good at it. Civ6 is very static. Doesn't have zoom to cursor either.

So yeah, we get actual custom keybinding, but not very many things to bind to. Been hunting around for the equivalent of either ingame.lua or worldview.lua... I have some custom keys defined that way in civ5.

Just finished my second game. I'm actually surprised how much it's bothering me that I don't have the border/population growth notifications from EUI. I feel like I have to check every city every damn turn to make sure my tiles are being worked properly. Also my delegations keep sending me notifications about my own trade deals, which is super duper annoying. Surely that has to be a bug though, so I assume it'll be fixed.

I think I'm going to play one more then go back to VP. I'm also going to try and get over my aversion to coding on Windows and the blight that is Visual Studio so I can help with the Civ VI CPP when all the expansions are out in a few years :p

Also missing diplomatic options are really annoying. For example I still haven't found a way to tell someone to stop attacking my city-state allies. There are also quite a few things that the AI can ask you to stop doing that you have no way of asking of the AI, like moving units from your border.

Also missing diplomatic options are really annoying. For example I still haven't found a way to tell someone to stop attacking my city-state allies. There are also quite a few things that the AI can ask you to stop doing that you have no way of asking of the AI, like moving units from your border.

Yep. I also think it'd be interesting if the human player could select two agendas and use diplomatic options related to them. Pipe dream, though.

Yep. I also think it'd be interesting if the human player could select two agendas and use diplomatic options related to them. Pipe dream, though.
It just feels like a few things haven't been properly thought through. I mean the district system is solid, and it makes unique districts feel really special. The worker charges thing is quite cool.
Still not sold on the policy system, feels pretty fun right now, but I feel like it is just going to develop into making the exact same choices every game, kinda like Vanilla CivV with the Tradition -> Rationalism thing I suppose.

It just feels like a few things haven't been properly thought through. I mean the district system is solid, and it makes unique districts feel really special. The worker charges thing is quite cool.
Still not sold on the policy system, feels pretty fun right now, but I feel like it is just going to develop into making the exact same choices every game, kinda like Vanilla CivV with the Tradition -> Rationalism thing I suppose.

The longer I play, the more I realize that there's a central design flaw (in my opinion) with Civ6: there are no drawbacks to any decision you make. You never choose between two things and really have it be a meaningful, long-lasting (permanent) change. Its an endlessly-positive experience, which feels (in my opinion) a bit too...saccharine?

G

The longer I play, the more I realize that there's a central design flaw (in my opinion) with Civ6: there are no drawbacks to any decision you make. You never choose between two things and really have it be a meaningful, long-lasting (permanent) change. Its an endlessly-positive experience, which feels (in my opinion) a bit too...saccharine?

G

Have to disagree with that statement, there are plenty of mistakes you can make in this game, mostly revolving around poor choice of: city placement or district placement.
Settle your city in an odd place and lose the ability to build some districts or wonders.
Build a district on a good spot and realise later a newer district or wonder would have made better use of it.

Having said that there a a lot of quirks in this game that really make me mad. A city-state ally followed up on my siege of a city I wanted to keep, and when I just missed out on taking it, they decided to send in 1 unit and do it for me... and then raze it to the ground! That instant-raze is a killer.
Is anyone seeing odd diplo effects where a ceded city is still apparently viewed as belonging to the other civ? Gandhi hates me despite ceding ownership of his cities to me.

Top Bottom