What other Civs would you like to see added to DoC

Yeah, I think it might be best if the North American civs started with a special worker replacement unit that cannot chop forest or even build most of the traditional improvements besides camps. The Mississippian UP could be access to farms but still no chopping or other improvements.
Could we get unique workers in general? Would that be too much? Would there not be enough differences in different nations' workforce to represent this?

It would be so cool if different nations had workforces with special effects, perhaps activated when garrisoned in a city. Egyptian workers could give +1 Prod to Wonders, representing their use of citizens over slaves in building the pyramids. Italian workers could give +1 Prod to Culture buildings, because that fits thematically?

I'm not a huge history buff so even if this idea is feasible I'm almost useless when it comes to these suggestions.

I'm starting to see a pattern with myself and crazy suggestions.

I don't know if we need to be this detailed, but workers and settlers are probably the best place to differentiate between sedentary civs (most in the game) and non-sedentary civs like North American Indians and Central Asian civs. Let's see how fancy I'm going to be when adding the Turks.

Considering that the alternative would be an empty Europe, that's the best we can do. Maybe in addition to the inertia rule we need something like the "convergence rule" to refer to this design paradigm. In short, since only real life history exists to provide us with plausible entities to exist in the game, certain events will always happen with the consequence that in game history converges towards real life history.

Overall though your post is needlessly negative and does not contribute to this thread at all. There are better threads to articulate this kind of opinion without detracting from the brainstorming that is happening here.

I don't understand why you've so often take any disagreement as insults, if people didn't value your work, they wouldn't be posting here. All I was saying is introducing hypothetical civilisations based on pre-European contact rather than artificial states like Nigeria would give more freedom to play around and be more interesting. Goals like Aztecs and Congo aren't historical anyway so I don't see the issue.

As for a game where Rome fails to dominate Europe, there's plenty of material to work with. Celts, Basques, "The Gallic Empire" of the 3rd century, Etruscans, Osroene, Berbers, Palmyra, Dacians, Scythians etc.

I'm one of those people who loves most new civ ideas. I'm just a champion for North America because it's so tragically devoid of native cultures at this point :lol:

Toltecs and a pre-Incan Andean culture would be fantastic. If only we knew more about pre-European Amazonian cultures as well, instead of having them be lost to history and only noted in one dubious account...

Regarding hypothetical north American civs, what about a conditional mechanic of Iroquois/Lakota spawning if colonial-Civs in the NE region lose 1-2 cities to barbarians in their respective regions?
I'm not sure how codable this is, but you could even have an 'arm the natives' Spy-ability where spies could upgrade barbarian units on a tile.

Outside of North America, Tartars have a lot of room, and could make early-Russian play more interesting, and give some variety to spamming settlers. Having them represent both the Kazan khaganate and Crimea would give a real early feel for Russia's 'fight for the warm-waters'.

Yeah, African civs should at least be optional like Moors/Poland. Also, haven’t heard much about people wanting an Israeli civ.

A limited but potentially viable way to handle this might be a few prescripted “alternate history scenarios” as a submod. For example, in your scenario where Persia conquers Greece a special scenario would begin where Rome has a high chance to go Zoroastrian and then its successor states would as well. Another one could be if as Byzantium/Arabia/Persia you wipe out the Seljuks the Turks never spawn. Little changes, but they’d help with the immersion sometimes.

You could have 1-city Armenia trade/espionage/culture challenge in the area instead? Maybe a human-only civ that spawns around the time of the Arscacid Dynasty and works as Byzantium's little helper.

Conditional religions are another thing I floated around a while ago, like 'Mithraism' spawns on Rome making a Zoroastrian Temple, or the Aztecs getting a state religion if they manage to build 10 pagan temples or something.

Last edited:
I don't know if we need to be this detailed, but workers and settlers are probably the best place to differentiate between sedentary civs (most in the game) and non-sedentary civs like North American Indians and Central Asian civs. Let's see how fancy I'm going to be when adding the Turks.

Perhaps you could tie in different ordinations of settlers and workers into foreign, historical, and core tiles changes; while also considering this when developing a middle tile between foreign and historical, as mentioned in another thread.

Could it be an option that all tiles (everywhere) lost their improvements after some period of being not being worked? that would solve some of these issues and make it interesting in other areas of the world too

And units can not live for more than 100 years. Buildings 50 years.

I don't understand why you've so often take any disagreement as insults
What I don't understand is why you think I'm insulted when I simply point out that your comment was mostly useless and off topic. Must be rationalisation.

I would love to see:
- Yugoslavia/Serbia
- Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa
- Iraq, Armenia
- Australia, New Zealand

I would love to see:
- Yugoslavia/Serbia

Probably not enough room, but would be interesting. Definitely want it in RFCE.

- Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa

Agreed, although Kenya might be more Swahili.

Babylonian respawn maybe, but not much room.

Logic says no, but personal bias says yes :D
One of my favorite civilizations in SoI and irl

- Australia, New Zealand

Probably both combined in one civ

I've been playing around with the idea of a Scythian civ, with a nomad UU that replaces the settler. The idea being that nomads can build pastures, camps, and "settlements" that spawn units, but to hold a city, you need to capture it.

I've been playing around with the idea of a Scythian civ, with a nomad UU that replaces the settler. The idea being that nomads can build pastures, camps, and "settlements" that spawn units, but to hold a city, you need to capture it.

Their UP could be that their city population is equal to the number of garrison units. That way, if you leave a city unprotected it will disappear and turn back into the UU.

I'd love to do the Toltecs ...

What! That's the craziest idea you've ever had! No other civilization would have or has ever had such a microscopic timespan like the Toltecs. It's the same as arguing for a Kingdom of Jerusalem, or Normans, or the Etruscans.

My understanding is that historical data on the Toltecs is difficult to obtain, and that much of it comes from biased, partly mythological Aztec sources. But if those sources are to be believed, the Toltec Empire existed from the 5th century to the 12th, and ruled a larger area than the Aztecs ever did, including parts of Yucatan. Even disregarding those sources, the fall of Teotihuacan (5th or 6th c.) would be a good date for the start of a Toltec civ. Although the golden age of the Toltecs started only around 900 AD, the civilization certainly existed before that.

But perhaps it would be a good idea to combine the Toltecs with Teotihuacan. Teotihuacan was not a Toltec city (unlike what scholars used to think), so it would be an inaccuracy, but a worthwhile one, since:
(1) Teotihuacan civilization is poorly known, so it would be difficult to include it on its own; yet the city was enormously important in early Mesoamerica and deserves representation
(2) Teotihuacan and the Toltec capital have both been called by the same name, Tollan, and would be on the same tile on the map, so in-game they would be indistinguishable
(3) Toltecs may have been one of the ethnicities living in Teotihuacan
(4) it would make the Teotihuacan/Toltec civ more interesting for gameplay, with a longer game and more possibilities for UHVs, etc.
(5) it would push back their spawn date to around 100 BC, making them contemporary with the Maya*.

(*Speaking of the Maya, I think they should spawn earlier, in 750 BC. That's when they built their first cities. This would be a good change to make when/if the Toltecs are implemented.)

Actually all I know about the Toltecs comes from Stargate

They would fit great instead of ancient egypt respawn, and give saladin a fitting civ to be leader for.

Is that possible to set 2 different spwan year for a civ when it controlled by AI or human player? It's maybe useful for Australia.

For Australia, when human player chooses it, the spawn year could be 1788ad(Sydney founded), when Australia is AI, it could be spawn(or maybe respawn?) in 1901ad(The Commonwealth of Australia founded), the later spawn year could not effect England colonization too much.

It is true that I'm looking forward to see Australia in DoC.

Australia could have a “domination of Oceania” goal, probably to own/vassalize Polynesia, Indonesia, Philippines, to contrast with Canada’s diplomatic angle

I shudder to imagine South African UHVs, though...

Top Bottom