Civ VI Artworks from Firaxis Artists

I think you'll find it depends on what level you're computer is handling VI at. Mine is low-ish, so my forests are sparse; but I'm certain that images from other players show more dense ones.

It’s the same density for everyone. Look at Any stream. I also started with a 780 and is now on 1070... trust me density is the same for everyone.

IIRC there is a graphic setting within the game if you want more clutter (more trees, more ice chunks)

I guess that was what I was thinking of. It does note that if you turn it off, performance is better.

I guess that was what I was thinking of. It does note that if you turn it off, performance is better.
IIRC there is a graphic setting within the game if you want more clutter (more trees, more ice chunks)

There's a tree or two more, but still nothing like an actual forrest like in civ5. Civ6 trees makes the map look less readable and messy. When I say dense, I mean forrest dense - not my backyard dense.

Civ5 had 2D trees, Civ6 has full 3D trees. That's a big difference - for example if you want to implement lighting and shadows with day/night cycle.

The trees in V felt like a backward step to me, after IV had 3D trees. They'd sway in the wind :)

Civ5 had 2D trees, Civ6 has full 3D trees. That's a big difference - for example if you want to implement lighting and shadows with day/night cycle.

I feel like I've hit that part of civfanatics where everything poops rainbows and Firaxis is god. I just said I didn't like the "forrest" in civ6 because it's just a couple of trees. I know they are 3D and it doesn't change my view. Firaxis could make trees with a less detailed mesh and fill in that tile with no change to performance.

But whatever... :rolleyes:

The trees in V felt like a backward step to me, after IV had 3D trees. They'd sway in the wind :)

Yep, but overall 3D models of Civ4 were terrible :)

I feel like I've hit that part of civfanatics where everything poops rainbows and Firaxis is god. I just said I didn't like the "forrest" in civ6 because it's just a couple of trees. I know they are 3D and it doesn't change my view.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just stating the reason why there's not as many trees as in Civ5.

Firaxis could make trees with a less detailed mesh and fill in that tile with no change to performance.

Yes, but I can't say whether it would look better. The trees are already low-poly as they are.

Overall, Civ5 forest fits Civ5 "realistic" style, Civ6 forest - its "cartoony" style.

I like Civ6 better (one of the reasons is - "realistic" warriors in "realistic" forest cause cognitive dissonance if the trees are knee-high), but I understand it's a matter of personal preference.

Civ 5 looks static and boring nowadays...

Love the detail and life in Civ 6.

Yep. It definitely feels like it has more life than the cold and sterile Civilization 5.

I can never imagine if Civ VI art style is similar ("realistic") like Civ V. Players might ask: "Did I just pay another 60USD to see the same art style? It looks recycled! Want my money back!"

I think you'll find it depends on what level you're computer is handling VI at. Mine is low-ish, so my forests are sparse; but I'm certain that images from other players show more dense ones.

I play with highest settings...

I feel like I've hit that part of civfanatics where everything poops rainbows and Firaxis is god. I just said I didn't like the "forrest" in civ6 because it's just a couple of trees. I know they are 3D and it doesn't change my view. Firaxis could make trees with a less detailed mesh and fill in that tile with no change to performance.

But whatever... :rolleyes:

Hey, you're allowed to like the blander yet thicker trees in V. I can respect that. I don't hate them. But I think even you'll have to admit it kinda was a backward step from IV's 3D trees; even if you prefer the look. I'm happy to take a swipe at Firaxis over things I'm not happy with; but 3D renderings of the background ain't one of them!

Last edited:
Another gold stroke. This one is artwork by Sam Gauss, some are already posted here.

Thanks for these!

I particularly like seeing the references for the Spaceport artwork. The different rockets and how they progress towards the launch site is one of my favourite details in this game, and I'd been hoping for actual rocket launches for the minor space projects since Civ IV. It's a little weird seeing a more modern rocket launching the first Earth satellite (I'd have preferred the Sputnik rocket with its definite Atomic Era chic :p), but you can see the sense of increasing scale quite well in that concept.

Thanks for these!

I particularly like seeing the references for the Spaceport artwork. The different rockets and how they progress towards the launch site is one of my favourite details in this game, and I'd been hoping for actual rocket launches for the minor space projects since Civ IV. It's a little weird seeing a more modern rocket launching the first Earth satellite (I'd have preferred the Sputnik rocket with its definite Atomic Era chic :p), but you can see the sense of increasing scale quite well in that concept.

My pleasure. I'm also surprised that it was based on an actual historical rocket ;)

Top Bottom