[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

As someone who doesn't really mind if Canada isn't in the roster, I would have been okay for Canada to be in the game if it's done well with an awareness that Canadian identity and history isn't as recent as many people would believe. But it seems that this iteration isn't that. So I feel disappointed.
This is similar to my feeling. I was actually looking forward to Canada with all those good ideas and themes being proposed on here. Now I'm not very much looking forward to hearing the Canadian Anthem in my games...

Well it's already the Canadian palace.:p
:D Yes, I doubt it will be a wonder now.

No argument there.

Which requires a 2nd district slot, which takes population and production. Heavier investment than Canada requires.

Canada can just build Campuses instead and get all those sweet GS points.

I suspect Canada is actually going to be sneakily good at Domination. Extra strategic resources = more units. Extra favor = bribe AIs to do your dirty work for you + pass resolutions which will directly impair your enemies. Extra amenities = able to wage war for longer.

Ok, I think I see one of the issues. A second district is not needed for the great people. For the works, maybe, but not the actual great people. I've had games where I had missed maybe 2 or 3 engineers/merchants combined, plus had plenty of generals/admirals, and certainly the majority of assorted artists. Without the Oracle (Oracle with Russia is pretty much a cheat). You only need the theaters if you get tired of dealing with moving artists around.

The lavra comes fast and easy, and whatever choices you make, your holy site should be producing food somehow, certainly your shrine is, and Russian cities are growing fast while not losing production, so that second district comes fast too - probably a cd.

The lavra is a catapult, not a side venture, and you combine it with the extra tile start, another huge early game catapult.

But I do like Canada. 'Cept the mounties as uu's. Maybe if they couldn't leave your borders...

No, we don't really have any real claims to football. Yes, the Grey Cup is older than the superbowl, but football is not Canadian.

Eh, we get into challenging history here, since we're talking about the evolution of rugby. Canadian universities started playing "football" in the early 1860s, U.S. universities in the late 1860s, and then McGill (Canada) and Harvard (U.S.) played some games against each other in the 1870s that brought the rules in the two countries a bit closer together. But obviously they never meshed completely, although innovations on one side of the border continue (to this day) to influence rules changes on the other side.

No, we don't really have any real claims to football. Yes, the Grey Cup is older than the superbowl, but football is not Canadian.
Now, Basketball was invented by a Canadian (although invented while he was in the US), and baseball's first organized game was quite possibly in Canada too.

Yeah, it's a bit of mythologizing. The McGill-Harvard game was the first to combine American codes of football in which the ball was not carried and scoring was only done by kicking a ball into a goal with McGill's Rugby-based rules with carrying and tries. The McGill-Harvard rules were taken back to the U.S. for a Harvard-Tufts match. They played with 11 players on a side. Players could run with the ball and were stopped by tackling. That's the first thing that really looked like American football. Before that, teams just played extremely violent soccer where you could catch the ball (but not throw it). The American and Canadian codes of Football grew up together and borrowed from each other.

Baseball is an English game and has an interesting history, but there were many different codes. Baseball as we know it comes from the Knickerbocker game, but some of the other versions had rules that were later adopted such as eliminating outs on balls caught on a bounce and allowing pitchers to throw the ball overhand instead of pitching it underhand. But 90 feet to 1st and 9 men on a team is the primary part of the Knickerbocker rules that everyone else ended up using. I'd love to see a game played with this field, but I don't think it is all that similar.

Canada didn't invent shock troops, or was a major factor of utilizing shock troop either. And if giving them a bonus that depends on a move that you cannot control, that is made by other players, I take the RCMP any day.

Right. I get that picking Mounties screams of Americans who don't know much about Canada reaching at straws and I get that they shouldn't have guns, but they are at least interesting.

I think GS is the last expansion, so I'm disappointed Canada got in over Civs like Babylon, Maya, Byzantines, or even potential newcomers like Ashanti, Madagascar, Burma, etc...I'm not criticizing Canada itself, but the game design doesn't impress me at all. Mounties that kick butt in National Parks, an Ice Hockey Rink, can't declare Surprise Wars because Canadians are nice, farming in tundra :lol:

Oh well....

I still think Machu Picchu is going to show up as the Inca's Palace.

I wonder how they will fit that into a City.

Now I'm not very much looking forward to hearing the Canadian Anthem in my games...

Considering that, as a permanent resident here in Canada, and in three years it's going to be possible for me to gain Canadian citizenship, I have to get used to it.

Eh, we get into challenging history here, since we're talking about the evolution of rugby. Canadian universities started playing "football" in the early 1860s, U.S. universities in the late 1860s, and then McGill (Canada) and Harvard (U.S.) played some games against each other in the 1870s that brought the rules in the two countries a bit closer together. But obviously they never meshed completely, although innovations on one side of the border continue (to this day) to influence rules changes on the other side.

Football is English... or do you mean Handegg?

Ok, I think I see one of the issues. A second district is not needed for the great people. For the works, maybe, but not the actual great people. I've had games where I had missed maybe 2 or 3 engineers/merchants combined, plus had plenty of generals/admirals, and certainly the majority of assorted artists. Without the Oracle (Oracle with Russia is pretty much a cheat). You only need the theaters if you get tired of dealing with moving artists around.

The lavra comes fast and easy, and whatever choices you make, your holy site should be producing food somehow, certainly your shrine is, and Russian cities are growing fast while not losing production, so that second district comes fast too - probably a cd.

The lavra is a catapult, not a side venture, and you combine it with the extra tile start, another huge early game catapult.

But I do like Canada. 'Cept the mounties as uu's. Maybe if they couldn't leave your borders...
I see your point, and do think Russia has the early-game edge by a pretty decent margin (again, the snowball is real too). I think part of it comes down to playstyle...I hate having GP lying around. So if I'm recruiting them, I'm also trying to build space for their stuff to go. I know it's not always the optimal strategy, but I get unreasonably annoyed if I have too many GP sleeping on the job around my empire.

By football do you mean Association Football or Rugby Football? By the way using Soccer for Association Football came from England.

Sorry, there is only one football. By definition: foot is obvious, anything that you play with the hands, even for a moment, does not comply with the foot part anymore. And about the ball part, well, look up the definition of a ball, it's pretty clear, and an egg can never be forced to comply with it.

Simple.

American football, aka the stupider of the two.

I take exception with this. At least American football has some complex strategies. Soccer just involves faking injuries. :lol:

By football do you mean Association Football or Rugby Football? By the way using Soccer for Association Football came from England.

England: Check out this game I just invented. I was gonna call it football, but I think I will call it soccer.

America: Hey, not bad. Canada, wanna play soccer with me?

England: Ha ha, loser, it's still called football!

America: Bah! Soccer sucks anyway. Canada, let's play some football. *throws ball* *tackles Canada*

I wouldn't say Canada would have been my first choice but I can appreciate their input to Civ VI's gameplay paradigms.

Unique Ability – Four Faces of Peace
This ability prevents Canada from declaring surprise wars on opponents or declaring war on City-States, but also ensures that surprise wars can’t be declared against Canada. Grants bonus Diplomatic Favor based on per-turn Tourism, and Canada receives extra Diplomatic Favor from successfully completing Emergencies or Scored Competitions.

Laurier Unique Ability – The Last Best West
This ability allows Canada to build farms on Tundra terrain, and reduces the cost of purchasing Snow and Tundra tiles by half. Gathering accumulated resources from Snow and Tundra tiles yields twice the usual amount.

This "expansion" rush will take up most of your early game. Midgame will be about reinforcing your borders and tackling emergencies. Your goal is to make everyone like you through trade and emergencies.

I dunno. They sound kinda fun for a particular gameplay approach, eh.

I can see forming a sort of "Emergency Expeditionary Force" in the latter half of the game... an elite attack force you can sent to participate in emergencies/ all the while, keeping your mounties at home to keep the homeland safe and having the 5 turn pad to react to threats while your elite force is away. Not unlike reality.

Now, Basketball was invented by a Canadian (although invented while he was in the US), and baseball's first organized game was quite possibly in Canada too.

Great Scott! Enough with these posts! Where are the devs?!

Baseball was invented in the US, by the US, and first played in the US. As was football. It is written into the very Constitution, on the back of page 24, and signed by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abe Lincoln, and O.W. Holmes. Football is on the back of page 25.

Now if you will excuse me, you all have managed to upset my grandpappy, and I must go remove the shotgun from his hands before we have another near miss with the neighbor's cat.

I take exception with this. At least American football has some complex strategies. Soccer just involves faking injuries. :lol:
If teams and balls are involved, it's stupid. :p Hockey...is almost but not quite tolerable, which puts it ahead of any other team sport. :mischief:

Top Bottom