[GS] June 2019 Patch notes discussion

And man, if they've spawned near horses, they'll quickly have horse archers. Very dangerous.

I noticed that. I had a particularly annoying barb camp somewhere in the southern tundra that snatched two of my Workers with Horse units. It seems like the barbarians are generally more aggressive than previously. It's nice.

Were there changes to natural disasters? A sandstorm just sent one of my largest cities back to the stone ages: Five districts with all buildings in it destroyed. And I had the disasters only on level 2.
Hardly, I had a similar haboob just before the patch, on level 2 as well. Ruined a bunch of districts, razed multiple mines, then moved onto the coast and set fire to the fishing boats. But that was quite a rare case over some games, certainly to remember though :)

Game will be over by the time all those buildings are repaired.
So you played well and even a major disaster can't impact your victory that much ;)

Were there changes to natural disasters? A sandstorm just sent one of my largest cities back to the stone ages: Five districts with all buildings in it destroyed. And I had the disasters only on level 2. Game will be over by the time all those buildings are repaired.

I don’t think the disasters were changed. I had a similar sandstorm DECIMATE my major city as Mali pre-patch awhile back. I was in the process of finishing up the game via SV, and a colossal sandstorm destroyed every tile of my major spaceport city, including the dam tile. Subsequently, I got a 1000-year flood as a result. I just laughed, because of course this would happen to the greatest city I ever built, near the end of the game. Life.

I think that if you wanted to create a simple, yet semi-realistic model, you would have to do this:

Every tile that produces Food sends a minimum of 1 Food to the city that works it. All other Food goes into a bucket which is divided amongst cities prioritized based on current population as well as Trade Routes. So cities that already have large populations will maintain them and trade hubs will grow quickly. Small cities with little trade only get a little from the bucket each turn and grow slowly.

All other Food goes into a bucket which is divided amongst cities prioritized based on current population as well as Trade Routes.

You'll also need to devise some system for a massive trade in and use of clay, salt, ice and whatever else was needed to preserve food. Otherwise that bucket would rot away rather quickly before refrigeration. Grain based food would survive longer, but fish or meat based - not so much.

... had a similar sandstorm DECIMATE my major city as Mali pre-patch awhile back...

Hey, only being reduced by 1/10 isn't all that bad as far as disasters go.

(Ignore me, I'm weird)

I don't think, romans "decimating" their own troops to teach them a lesson would be disastrous for them that way.

I hope in the future patch, they can find a way to make ME help repair districts/buildings. They can repair damaged tiles. I find the costs to high in general to repair. It only gets worse if the city just got devastated. It doesn't help hurricanes can hit far inland before they disappear which is enough to hit more or less all the coastal cities tiles. Both logically and balance wise, i think it fits. It would encourage having Encampments as well that a lot of people tend to neglect.

on a side note, Decimation if memory serves was killing 1 out of 10 men.

All that was done, was bug fixing where raids wouldn't trigger any more. From time to time you can have multiple camps nearby and have further bad luck of them triggering on your or AI's cities. I've had a few similar games before. Don't neglect your backyard when you go on campaign. :) In this case you're still lucky they're not horses.

I didn't continue the session - Civ ceases to be interesting when it's just a swarm of units preventing development through blockading cities and pillaging.

What I've found on a subsequent playthrough was what appears to be a bug - a scout was alerted to my capital but destroyed before it could report to the camp, but nevertheless the camp (which I was attacking with a slinger at the time - this was pre-turn 20, I think) was alerted and started spawning units. That may explain the excessive numbers of barbarians and the apparent absence of a time window between the camp spawning and the attack to move my units to destroy it. If camps are routinely spawning hordes within four or five turns of first spawning, I suspect there's an AI behaviour problem.

I don't think, romans "decimating" their own troops to teach them a lesson would be disastrous for them that way.
IDK but if you've seen Life of Brian, you shouldn't be that sure about their teaching methods not being disastrous for them..

There have been many patches, updates, DLCs and expansions since Civ6 was released, but I still get no information about my luxury resources when trading resources with an AI player. Do the developers really want me to sit in front of my monitor with a sheet of PAPER and a PEN to write down which trade deals I have?

Fortunately, mods can solve this problem easily: CQUI does it (but currently does not work with the new patch); I use the "DealPanel" from the "ConciseUI" mod: mouseover a resource shows a tooltip "we already have" and so I know if trading the resource makes sense.

Is it just my own experience or does the AI place a high value on Religious Settlements now? (As well it should)

Is it just my own experience or does the AI place a high value on Religious Settlements now? (As well it should)
I've been able to grab it a few times even just using God-king. But when I grab a pantheon too late, then they seem to take it. But not fertility rites: they seem to still shy away from that one.

I think that if you wanted to create a simple, yet semi-realistic model, you would have to do this:

Every tile that produces Food sends a minimum of 1 Food to the city that works it. All other Food goes into a bucket which is divided amongst cities prioritized based on current population as well as Trade Routes. So cities that already have large populations will maintain them and trade hubs will grow quickly. Small cities with little trade only get a little from the bucket each turn and grow slowly.

I like the idea of transferring food to areas where it's needed with a little more control than that of the current trade route system. however, I think that only excess food should go into the 'pot.' For example, if a city has two tiles producing 3 food each and three workers, then it would consume all of the food it produced. And this may be what you meant when you said a "minimum of 1 food to the city that works it."

I managed to get the 4th religion on deity while playing Canada. I had gotten a relic from a goody hut earlier, so Reliquaries seemed like a great choice. Immediately noticed I was not getting any bonus to my relic at all. Waited a few turns to see if it would kick it late. It did not. Reloaded and chose Choral Music instead. Sad times.

Is Reliquaries broken? I so rarely get a religion in any of my games that I have no reference for this at all.

Top Bottom