2020 NFL offseason thread

Both of them were significantly better last year than Brissett. You can point to "Brissett didn't really have a good set of weapons to throw the ball to" which is true. But Brady didn't have that either, but he was still better than Brissett. And Brissett was protected by an elite offensive line. Brady wasn't. Brees had more talent than Brissett or Brady, but he put up significantly better numbers than Teddy Bridgewater did by every meaningful metric, other than the win/loss record which obviously has more to do with the rest of the team than him. It's possible that Brady and Brees will decline, but even they do, they could still be comfortably better than Brissett. That's how much disparity there is between them. As for Brissett, we already know what his ceiling is. This is like paying Osweiler the money the Texans paid him AFTER having him as your starter for one year, so you already know how bad he is. And Bridgewater himself had a significantly higher PFF grade, for example, than Brissett. Not near as high as Brees, but still. Andy Dolton was bad last year, but even his PFF was comfortably better than Brissett's, and he is getting paid like 3 million this season. Do you think Brissett is as good (let alone better) than Andy Dolton? And even if so (he's not) is it enough to justify paying Brissett over 20 million more?

edit: In other news, the Washington Redskins have just came out with an official statement saying they are seriously considering changing the team name, and Rodger Goodell responded by basically saying he supports the move.

edit 2: In my opinion, that's not the only racial issue the team has, in my opinion. Even if others seem far less concerned about it:

Is it just me, or is there a double standard that all black NFL quarterbacks are, automatically, by default expected to be dual-threat? That if Dwayne Haskins was white he wouldn't be under as much criticism for it?

Last edited:
Patrick Mahomes gets a 10-year contract. Has that ever happened before in the history of this league? Honest question.

edit: Over 400 million dollars? I am speechless.

Last edited:
LMAO I read this and thought "Who the eff is the Colts starting quarterback right now?" :lol:

I had to look it up... Phillip Rivers... so yeah, signing Jacoby Brissett to a big contract, as a "backup" makes total sense. He'll be starting before the end of the season.

I'm pretty sure they can dump Brissett after this season with little consequence. And by QB standards it isn't a massive contract. But you may be right, as I am not sure how much Rivers' problems last year were O-line and how much were age related decline.

Even for just this season, he is not worth anywhere near that much. Can you name any other team that would even remotely try to match that?

I don't understand the contract. How the hell are they even able to keep their current team assembled while he's being paid that much?

Linky : https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...extension-worth-up-to-503-million-per-report/

I think it's the first time there's ever been one that long outside of baseball, and even then it's rare. 'Twill be interesting how the cap works out for them since according to the article there's a clause that his salary will never fall below an unnamed percentage of the cap.

Magic Johnson.......25 years for 25 million.

Some hockey players at 13-17 years, baseball a couple at 13 years. Michael Vick at 12 years.

The one I really loved was Bobby Bonilla getting a renegotiated contract in the mid 90s that pays him until (IIRC) 2024.

Not that this justifies the contract, but out of curiosity, how good of a player was he at the time?

I can't believe what I'm looking at. Is this parody? Seriously.

edit: ah, they only talking about YAC and nothing else, not overall performance.

Bobby Bonilla's contract wasn't to play that many years, but a retirement plan. Deal made in 1999 to get rid of him, rather than pay what he was owed then, they make these annual payments. Doesnt expire until 2035.

Magic johnsons deal was to play all the years (his entire career). Didnt and up playing that many years because of other issues.

Sammy Watkins announces he’s willing to take a pay cut if he has to to stay in Kansas City. I highly doubt he will be the last Chiefs player to do that as long as they have Mahomes and Reid. Chris Jones I’m particularly curious about.

It's official. The Washington D.C. team is changing its name. The new name hasn't been announced, but the old name, logo, and mascot are all gone.

edit: Of the popular names with a seemingly realistic chance of winning the new team name, I want "Redtails". African American fighter pilots in WW2 deserve the recognition IMO. And some of them, from my understanding, are still alive. I can only imagine what it would mean to them.

Last edited:
Chiefs sign Chris Jones to a 4 year, 85 million dollar extension. There's no way they're keeping all of that team assembled. But based on the two pieces they've locked up so far, they have, in my opinion, their priorities straight.

Kelce will be no longer in his prime when his current contract ends. The next draft is also wide receiver heavy so they might find a suitable replacement for Hill.

edit: meanwhile in Cleveland:

Myles Garrett signed to a 5 year, 100 million dollar deal. 50 million guaranteed. That's a lot for a pass rusher but totally worth it for someone like that IMO.

edit 2: next update: Titans lock up Derrick Henry for the next 4 years. If he can remotely match his production last season, I would say that was the right choice.

Last edited:
15 former female employees of the Washington team speak out with sexual assault accusations against male members of the staff, including but not limited to Snyder himself. I've also heard rumors that Snyder bribed the refs to make calls against his team, for gambling purposes. Even if only some of these are true, things are looking really bad (from Snyder's point of view). It could be more than just the name/logo/mascot/slogan/whatever that will be changing there. Could also be the owner, whether he likes it or not. Will he be forced to sell the team? Should be interesting to see what happens.

edit: to make it clear, I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Sports talk radio yesterday said none of the allegations are implicating him directly, thus it was unlikely he would be forced to sell the team.

Only thing I've seen about him are speculations from random people on the internet that he was on Epstein's list (which then meaww website wrote an article about these wild speculations, which is about the only place mentioning Snyder himself is involved).

Top Bottom