Official announcement: Hot off the presses. Next Civ game in development!!!!!!!

It seems like you guys are citing your love of 4 and 3 as reasons to not want a graphically advanced Civ 7?

Otherwise I’m missing the point here.

And if you feel that way, then keep playing them :) and let us with modern computers have a Civ 7 with great graphics! It won’t make 3 or 4 disappear.
This. :) I'm all for new, fresh meat games.

I was going to say Civ is an odd game to upgrade for, but then again the thread on what other games people play revealed I'm one of the few people here who primarily plays non-strategy games. :p
Not if it's really the only PC game you play, at least on a regular basis. :p

I think everyone assumed it was in development, but hopefully this means we'll get some real information soon.

My wish for 7 is more integration and refinement of game systems, rather than just loads and loads of content.

It was a pretty nice looking game...by the standards of twenty years ago. Though I have to say its gameplay has aged worse than its graphics.
I think Civ4 is still a beautiful game, maybe not so much when compared to Civ6 on the PC, but I don't play Civ6 so I don't notice it.
I took it for a spin a few years ago while I was bored of Civ6, and...it was not fun anymore.
I had a similar thing happen when I played Civ6 on the switch, not fun at all.

Not if it's really the only PC game you play, at least on a regular basis. :p
Like I said, I was surprised when that thread revealed I'm the weird RPG/adventure game player who happens to play Civ. :p

My wish for 7 is more integration and refinement of game systems, rather than just loads and loads of content.
100% this.

It might be unrelated but, back when they announced the Leader Pass, last November, they kept making a big deal about The Ides of March (which, IIRC, was the final month of the Leader Pass), so I had a strong suspicion that 15th of March was when we'd get a Civ 7 announcement. Who knows, we might be getting a release window/teaser trailer next month!

It might be unrelated but, back when they announced the Leader Pass, last November, they kept making a big deal about The Ides of March (which, IIRC, was the final month of the Leader Pass), so I had a strong suspicion that 15th of March was when we'd get a Civ 7 announcement. Who knows, we might be getting a release window/teaser trailer next month!
To me its feels like the personnel changes had them announce before they were ready to, given the lack of details and so on. You'd think the announcement of the next installment of their signature franchise would have a proper reveal and everything but that's not what we got. I'm still betting we the "proper" announcement at the end of the LP.

Last edited:
To me its feels like the personnel changes had them announce before they were ready to, given the lack of details and so on. You'd think the announcement of the next installment of their signature franchise would have a proper reveal and everything but that's not what we got. I'm still betting when the "proper" announcement at the end of the LP.
Annoucement of an Annoucement is actually pretty big these days...

Better graphics for what reason? Good graphics is for FPS games. In Civ you spend most of your time watching the world from satellite and the rest are diplomacy, economy and other screen studying numbers. We don't care about flowers on the hillside.

Not what I meant:
'Nice graphics' and 'hardware demanding graphics' are two different things.
I like nice graphics really. In my Civ4 mod I included some graphical improvements.
But we don't need to walk in the roads of ancient Greece and watch the flowers on the hillside in the same way we can do in Cities Skylines. That game is meant to walk in your own creation. In a Civ game you won't really beautify the area. Not that it wouldn't be nice but the goal and scale of the games are different.
So I'm not against nice and enjoyable graphics. I'm against better and better graphics that's porpoise is only to get you buy new hardware.
Nice graphics SELLS games but the inner content is what KEEPS them play over and over. New games are often like beautiful but stupid women: that look good but...
So nice graphics are good but better put the focus on inner values. Like, when wasn't AI an issue? ;)
I'm not convinced Civ games, or any strategy game for that matter, drive anything, in regards to hardware. Very few titles do that, usually singleplayer Role Playing Games or single player First Person Shooters, from a handful of triple A companies. Everyone else just tags along, including Firaxis. There's no need to push the envelope in regards to graphics, so they don't. But there's also no reason for them to not take full use of already existing hardware capabilities, especially for a company the size of Firaxis, and not forgetting that it's a project made to last nearly a decade (Civ 6 is going on 8 years and I wouldn't be surprised if Civ 7 is made to last even longer), so they don't need to play overly safe in regards to graphical minimum requirements.

So after some pause and actually reading the links provided, I realise Seven is mentioned zero times. The closest official term used is "next iteration". There's no mention of 7.

I do assume it's 7, but we've been through sufficient "you guys don't have phones?" moments in recent history to at least approach this with some caution.

Am I being overly cautious here in thinking it's odd that they literally make no mention of 7?? Why wouldn't they?

The statement "Hot of the Presses. Next Civ Game in development!" is giving me anxiety...

If you check out the 50-51 minute mark of this video, you do see frequent references to March. Again, I could be reading too much into it, but at the time it got me thinking that a Civ7 announcement might be incoming in 2023 (especially as new versions of the franchise tend to launch around 5-6 years apart).

So after some pause and actually reading the links provided, I realise Seven is mentioned zero times. The closest official term used is "next iteration". There's no mention of 7.

I do assume it's 7, but we've been through sufficient "you guys don't have phones?" moments in recent history to at least approach this with some caution.

Am I being overly cautious here in thinking it's odd that they literally make no mention of 7?? Why wouldn't they?

The statement "Hot of the Presses. Next Civ Game in development!" is giving me anxiety...
Someone above mentioned that the tweet had 7 exclamation marks.

I'm an RPG player as well. I feel like there's a lot of crossover appeal for 4x and RPG games. You really want to stop and weigh your options carefully. Plan things out. Etc.
One thing that the Civilization Franchise has largely lacked is a Robust Event System, so I'd love to see them look to games like Old World and Humankind, which both have fantastic Event Systems. That'd be great for RPG players like us.

I'm an RPG player as well. I feel like there's a lot of crossover appeal for 4x and RPG games. You really want to stop and weigh your options carefully. Plan things out. Etc.
Yes. I consider myself primarily a narrative player, regardless of genre, and I enjoy 4X games for the emergent narrative.

I'm not convinced Civ games, or any strategy game for that matter, drive anything, in regards to hardware. Very few titles do that, usually singleplayer Role Playing Games or single player First Person Shooters, from a handful of triple A companies. Everyone else just tags along, including Firaxis. There's no need to push the envelope in regards to graphics, so they don't. But there's also no reason for them to not take full use of already existing hardware capabilities, especially for a company the size of Firaxis, and not forgetting that it's a project made to last nearly a decade (Civ 6 is going on 8 years and I wouldn't be surprised if Civ 7 is made to last even longer), so they don't need to play overly safe in regards to graphical minimum requirements.
So, who's looking forward to the first raytraced 4X game? :mischief: (I'm not. No need to set my computer on fire for Civ. :p )

Seven exclamation points in the tweet.

Top Bottom