What Book Are You Reading XV - The Pile Keeps Growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-reading The Hunt for Red October (1984), which I remember liking more when I was 15. I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. It's fine. It moves along smoothly, easy to read at the end of the night when I need something to lull me to sleep. Too many characters, but I don't find myself getting confused who's who, in the way that I do with some of more labyrinthine espionage novels. It seems to matter less, maybe only because I'm less invested, I dunno. I'm surprised by how different the movie was, and by how little action or tension there is. It's really just mostly guys in rooms talking. Tom Clancy never met a digression he couldn't spend a few pages on, and then come back to again later. Ramius & Ryan play smaller roles here than they did in the movie, and I think the screenwriters made the right choices, boiling everything down to the action aboard the Red October and the Dallas. I'd also forgotten that Patriot Games (1987) was a prequel to Red October. With the recasting of Ford for Baldwin in the movies, maybe the director of Patriot Games decided to just go ahead and say it took place some years after Red October. The movies were only 2 years apart, but Ford is something like 15 years older than Baldwin, and he both looks it and plays the character as more mature. I think I read the first 7 Jack Ryan books, back in the day. The Wikipedia plot summary for Executive Orders (1996) is the last one that rings any bells. It looks like there are more than 20 now, with other authors picking up the baton (including Mark Greaney, who wrote The Gray Man novels - I remember liking the first one of those, but evidently not enough to read the second). I doubt I'll read any more, but it was nice to take a stroll down Memory Lane for a bit.

Not much given this book is like only 24 pages long. I bought 2 of it as one I'm going to give to my sisters family and the other I'm going to keep myself.
IMG_1342.jpg

Her whole head was rotting, but she was still alive.

No, I did not pick up a zombie novel; this is the ghastly horror of radium jaw. I am no longer convinced that phosphorus poisoning is worse than radium poisoning, but if you were a dentist in the early-mid 1920s and encountered a case of the latter, there's a good chance you would believe you had seen the former.

Radium Girls is proving to be a page-turner. The author does an excellent job capturing the changing attitude towards radium over the years. In 1917, when the first radium watch factories were opening, working with radium was the job to have, particularly for young women. It was glamorous, it was fun, it was a good work environment where you'd make many new friends, and it paid in the top 5% of wages for working women of the day, at least for an average-productivity worker, as you were paid by the number of dials painted. If you were exceptionally skilled, you could make very good money indeed. The latest styles, silk dresses, fine millinery, pearls, your own place to live, the ability to help your family - and no education required.

And you quite literally glowed in the dark. Girls would wear their best dresses in to work at the factory, simply to get the dust from the radium paint on them so they would glow in the dark at a dance that evening. Some joked around with colleagues or their siblings and painted radium mustaches on themselves. One girl painted her teeth with the radium paint, so she would have a smile that would really knock out her date.

The most expensive substance in the world in 1917 was fun. Local newspapers wrote about the Radium Girls as the talk of the town, and if you were a young man, how could you not want to be courting, and eventually marrying, a girl who literally glows?

The work was important, too. By the end of 1918, one in six American soldiers had a radium watch, a useful tool in the war effort, and radium was used for gunsights in airplanes as well; the military was a major customer. More and more workers were hired, factories expanded, working hours increased, throughout 1917 and 1918. And the watches proved popular, so demand did not diminish when the war ended, but instead civilians wanted glow-in-the-dark alarm clocks and watches. You could buy the Westclox Big Ben, or if your budget was more meager, the Westclox Scotty. I had one of the latter nearby while reading the book, and sure enough, it glows in the dark.

Radium water, radium treatments for common colds, radium dust sand for the children's playground in the town where the factory was located. Radium radiated good health; it could cure cancer, after all. Not everyone could afford it yet, but some day not just A-list celebrities, but everyone could drink radium water.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The opening sentence describes Marguerite Carlough in 1925, about 18 months after her symptoms first developed. Many did not live that long after their first symptoms, usually tooth pain, which would quickly become agonizing. Eventually the necrosis would spread elsewhere - knees, feet, legs, hips, back, or ears being among the candidates, or perhaps you'd notice a slight limp first, and then have dental issues. It's natural to have more aches as you get older, many rationalized at first - although "older" often meant only "early 20s" - but it's not natural for an extracted tooth to not heal, or the limp to be permanent... or for more and more of your friends from your old job to start having similar symptoms at such young ages, and an alarming number of them to start dying at 22, 24, or 25 years old.

The cast of characters in the book is large, but the author does a good job reminding you of who each person is, and the approach of letting you get to know their lives and ambitions and personalities a bit, and then showing you what happens to them. This is far more effective than a high-level overview would be - and that was true for the people experiencing the events as well. You could read about the dangers - or benefits - of radium at the time, and have tentative beliefs one way or the other, but you couldn't meet Marguerite Carlough twelve months after her symptoms had started and not be moved to pity, soon followed by determination, or anger as you realized she was far from the only such case.

Highly recommended. Although if you are a dentist or dental hygienist, it may well give you nightmares, and I sincerely hope you never encounter such a case in your professional career.

A Scandal in Bohemia.
I think that there shouldn't have been that much outrage at how the late SH show used Irene Adler. It did mess everything up, as usual, but the original story sort of sucks on its own ^^

I finished reading The Lives of Tao, the rest of the book was a nice read, and the conclusion was satisfactory enough. I say that, because I figured out what was going to happen before it did. Having said that, I am going to pick up the sequels and read them too. The characters were well written and fleshed out, and I want to see what happens next.
I'm close to the end and ready for more! Thanks for posting about this book. :D

Last night, I finished reading:

Bones are Forever

by

Kathy Reichs

It was a good read, although now after her third book, I am beginning to detect a general commonality of approach.

Mark Antony is finally dead! :dance: Now if Cleopatra would just hurry up, the book would be done so much sooner...

(Still wondering why Mark Antony is considered such a great military leader, or if Colleen McCullough is interpreting history in a really left field way; both he and Cleopatra are such idiots; and did Caesarion really walk up to Octavian, announce his real identity and when Octavian says, "You realize that I have to kill you now," Caesarion meekly says, "Okay" and cooperates?)

Either these people were really that dumb, or McCullough is so firmly on Octavian's side that she made them dumb, or this book was miscategorized as historical fiction when it should be historical satire.

Mark Antony is finally dead! :dance: Now if Cleopatra would just hurry up, the book would be done so much sooner...

(Still wondering why Mark Antony is considered such a great military leader, or if Colleen McCullough is interpreting history in a really left field way; both he and Cleopatra are such idiots; and did Caesarion really walk up to Octavian, announce his real identity and when Octavian says, "You realize that I have to kill you now," Caesarion meekly says, "Okay" and cooperates?)

Either these people were really that dumb, or McCullough is so firmly on Octavian's side that she made them dumb, or this book was miscategorized as historical fiction when it should be historical satire.
Allan Massie's novel Antony is a more sympathetic portrayal of Mark Antony, although by the period you've reached he is an alcoholic wreck, long past his best. Cleopatra and Octavian are both horrible people in that novel.

They also are in McCullough's work. I finished reading it recently but don't want to spoil it for Valka before she's finished.

They also are in McCullough's work. I finished reading it recently but don't want to spoil it for Valka before she's finished.

Psst! Takhisis, I know Antony and Cleopatra die by suicide. I know Octavian becomes Augustus. I know that his sister, Octavia, ends up raising Antony's children by practically every woman he's ever gotten pregnant. It's just that in this novel, these characters are so friggin' BORING. I'm slogging through this book mainly because I paid for it, so I'm going to read it. Normally I love Roman historical fiction. Margaret George does excellent work in her historical novels. Colleen McCullough was recommended to me as being a good author. So far I'm not seeing it. Maybe she just did a better job on the others? I have them, but they're packed away.

Brian Blessed spoiled me for all other interpretations of Augustus, and Sian Phillips for all other interpretations of Livia.

Oh no, it's just that I don't want to ruin the ending of this version for you.

Ah, okay. Cleopatra does die, though, right? She doesn't pull a Dr Who-style Clara act and not only not die, but becomes immortal, gets her own TARDIS, and an immortal companion?

Finished Radium Girls, it was a page-turner the whole way through. My level of trust that companies will do the right thing has significantly declined, not that it was in the stratosphere to begin with.

did Caesarion really walk up to Octavian, announce his real identity and when Octavian says, "You realize that I have to kill you now," Caesarion meekly says, "Okay" and cooperates?
I'm pretty sure it would have been more dramatic than that in real life.

At the very least, Cleopatra had send Caesarion to India, though he wound up back at the court before making it all the way, whether by persuasion as Plutarch says or through less voluntary means, could be debated. But the mere fact that Cleopatra thought it necessary to exile him for his own safety suggests to me that Caesarion likely had a sense of impending doom (and perhaps some shackles) if and when he met Octavian.

Perhaps some day we'll find some ancient papyri that document in more detail what happened then.

Finished Radium Girls, it was a page-turner the whole way through. My level of trust that companies will do the right thing has significantly declined, not that it was in the stratosphere to begin with.

I'm pretty sure it would have been more dramatic than that in real life.

At the very least, Cleopatra had send Caesarion to India, though he wound up back at the court before making it all the way, whether by persuasion as Plutarch says or through less voluntary means, could be debated. But the mere fact that Cleopatra thought it necessary to exile him for his own safety suggests to me that Caesarion likely had a sense of impending doom (and perhaps some shackles) if and when he met Octavian.

Perhaps some day we'll find some ancient papyri that document in more detail what happened then.

Of course it was more dramatic, even in this ridiculous book. Caesarion has this case of "I am Pharaoh and my mother, even though I love her, is an idiot with no political common sense" and tells Octavian that his conditions for submitting meekly to his own execution - to be carried out in the next 2 minutes - are for his siblings to not be harmed and for his mother to be allowed to retire to private life. Octavian agrees (though of course he's lying about Cleopatra, who by this time is holed up in her own tomb with her servants), and promptly kills Caesarion.

I think that it's definitely a notch or two below the level of the rest of the series. I'm still missing books 1 and 6 of the series but the other ones (2-5) are less melodramatic.
Of course, there's still the point that this chronicles nearly a century of history in Rome and things did get worse, more dramatic, and sillier as the machinery of government meant to address the running of a city and the surrounding fields was suddenly stretched from the Caspian to the Gates of Hercules, to its own great detriment.

I still liked reading the book, and perhaps the decay in several of the personalities' decay would be less abrupt if I still had the elusive book 6 with me, but that appreciation will have to wait until I have found it first.

I'm actually reading books on religion sort of. I've been reading the Koran and the book of Mormon sometimes one or the other I cant make up my mind. Other than that I don't usually read books because I start thinking a lot and hearing voices :crazyeye: However it is a good habit to read I just don't know what to read yet.

I think that it's definitely a notch or two below the level of the rest of the series. I'm still missing books 1 and 6 of the series but the other ones (2-5) are less melodramatic.
Of course, there's still the point that this chronicles nearly a century of history in Rome and things did get worse, more dramatic, and sillier as the machinery of government meant to address the running of a city and the surrounding fields was suddenly stretched from the Caspian to the Gates of Hercules, to its own great detriment.

I still liked reading the book, and perhaps the decay in several of the personalities' decay would be less abrupt if I still had the elusive book 6 with me, but that appreciation will have to wait until I have found it first.

It's funny; I happened to watch a video essay on blocking and directing for I, Claudius last night, and one of the clips is of Augustus ranting at Tiberius that Antony was "twice the man you are" and Augustus still defeated him.

You wouldn't know it by the novel. Mind you, at the time of the novel, Tiberius was still a child (though Livia had already decided he was to marry Marcus Agrippa's daughter, Vipsania).

I'm actually reading books on religion sort of. I've been reading the Koran and the book of Mormon sometimes one or the other I cant make up my mind. Other than that I don't usually read books because I start thinking a lot and hearing voices :crazyeye: However it is a good habit to read I just don't know what to read yet.
If you know the genres that you prefer, there is lots of help right here. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse is a short and wonderful story that would introduce you to Buddhism without having to wade through the complexity of religious texts. The first step is identify what interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom