Bible talk

It would be more fun if it could come in the moment.

Cuz it will feel like I'm answering if I post that old version of the answer.

And then my "ta-duh" will feel silly.

Go review your own posts on page 57, including how you thought you might fly all the way over from Greece to make me a visit.
The issue is that you, for your own reasons, want a very specific wording. Are you sure that the answer you want won't be (at least for most) a tautology to those I gave you?
I did reread that post about plesion being (as is obvious) one who at the moment is near, without needing to start from being near. So, I am afraid, if you are not satisfied, you will have to spell out the phrasing you are after ^^
(no need not to, Socrates does that many times too)

The issue is that you, for your own reasons, want a very specific wording. Are you sure that the answer you want won't be (at least for most) a tautology to those I gave you?
I do. I want a very specific wording.

And that very specific wording will be almost a tautology of the first answer you gave. It may seem to you like exactly a tautology. Once you give it, I'll say why it isn't entirely a tautology and why I insisted on it being in that form rather than your first form.

(After a little showmanship)

(Which Farm Boy is finding even this back-and-forth to be).

If I want an answer to the question "Who is my neighbor" and I tell you that the answer is nearly tautological with "one who nears me" but isn't "one who nears me," what is the answer?

I think I've figured that out but I'll just say I could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt. What if those other lifeforms simply said we love performing evil acts and will never stop doing them? Evil must be stopped eventually no?
Lifeforms, to me, could be humans, other animals, plants, extremophiles, whatever can be considered alive. Even astrophysicists have been known to speak of the Sun as alive, as in stars are born, go through their life cycle, and die even though there's nothing about them that's actually biological.

Most lifeforms therefore don't even have a concept of good/evil that would make sense to us.

On the other hand, what if those lifeforms had no idea that there was a God or not. I believe, and I could be wrong, that God is just and would then judge those who never knew fairly. But I don't know God well enough to really answer the question. God is infinite in His wisdom and His ways are not our ways.
And here's the usual answer that never really answers the question for me. It's nice to be optimistic. But it's still not an answer I'm prepared to accept.

I miss Zkribbler too.

Yes if you commit sadistic deeds against any of your characters there is a reason for it. Because you're writing the story and the story is alive and may change depending on what's going on.

I don't think God strikes down people just because they never say on a daily basis "I love you God". I would hope and like to believe that He doesn't say to himself, well I gotta kill this person and replace that person with someone else. That would contradict the "For God so loved the world" statement in the bible.
Maybe not daily, but at least as frequently as desired.

Yup. But I don't want no neural implant to help me copy/paste my thoughts. I'd rather come up with some natural or supernatural way of doing that. :)
It would be interesting to see if a balance could be found between "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind" and "it would be so handy for physically disabled people if thoughts could be transcribed so a disabled writer wouldn't be impeded by vision problems, arthritis, speech impediments, or whatever else may physically hinder the writing process. I've got movies and miniseries and symphonies playing in my head. But I lack the capacity to fully communicate them either on paper or on a screen. Just think - you'd all get to experience the song I composed about the comets that came around in the 1990s (it's rather catchy; you could even dance to it). The music is in my head. But unless I can learn how to write it down and people could play it, nobody will ever hear it but me.

I didn't know you were in the audience for this, Sommer. I thought you and a group of people discussing Job trundled through our little dialogue barely noticing that it was going on.
One thing we need to remember about being an OT regular is that those of us who are regulars here have demonstrated the ability to follow and participate in half a dozen different conversations at the same time. :)

Whoever I walk to.

It always in your power, isn't it?(I wasn't playing right, sorry, was mostly enjoying the show)

Last edited:
Whoever I walk to.
Ta-Duh!

Who is my near one? Anybody to whom you go near.

Now, I want my crowd response. And the response I want is "Duh!"

Anyone who's been following along who finds that a mind-numbingly obvious answer to the question, please say "Duh." I want a chorus of Duhs

I came

Mighty neighborly of you.

Duh! :clap:

Ta-Duh!

Who is my near one? Anybody to whom you go near.

Now, I want my crowd response. And the response I want is "Duh!"

Anyone who's been following along who finds that a mind-numbingly obvious answer to the question, please say "Duh." I want a chorus of Duhs
So instead of abstract loving everyone, it's the literal loving whoever you are physically with.

Damn the Bible is good.

So instead of abstract loving everyone, it's the literal loving whoever you are physically with.
Close, but not quite. We'll get to that. But thank you for opening this path for me.
Only one actual "duh," when I asked for a chorus of "duh"s. I thought I'd be waking up to a veritable clamor of duhs.

Tough crowd.

Kind of duh-sipointing, frankly.

I'll give you another chance. Maybe I wasn't clear. I want people's reaction to the following, not as the meaning of this gospel passage (we'll get to that), but just as a proposition in its own right: "Your near-one is anyone to whom you move near."

I think that the proper response to that is "duh!"

Last edited:
[William Tell Overture] Duh-duh-DUH-duh-duh-DUH-duh-duh-DUH-DUH-DUH... [/William Tell Overture]

(I assume you know how the rest of it goes...)

Perfect.

I would also have accepted [Beethoven's fifth symphony] duh-duh-duh-DUHHHHHH.

Perfect.

I would also have accepted [Beethoven's fifth symphony] duh-duh-duh-DUHHHHHH.

With my version you also get the theme song from the Lone Ranger. I've never been terribly fond of Beethoven's 5th.

Brilliant! From the person who is ringing up your groceries to the person who you pass by on the sidewalk to the person you live with or near.

Brilliant! From the person who is ringing up your groceries to the person who you pass by on the sidewalk to the person you live with or near.
It's not supposed to be brilliant, yet, Moff. We'll get to that very shortly. You're one step ahead of the game.

Right now, I just want a response to the sentence "Your near-one is anyone to whom you move near." As a sentence. All by itself. Not as a piece of moral instruction from a holy text.

And the response I want just at present is: "That's obvious to the point of being banal." "That's tautological." "That doesn't even need saying, it's so obvious." or "Thank you, Captain Obvious!"

I'm trying to make it easy for people to give me that response by 1) putting it in a one-word colloquial expression and 2) flatly telling people I want that as a response.

So could I get a "duh" from you, if I promise that it is my plan also, shortly, to make this statement a brilliant statement? (And brilliant in pretty much the way you say.)

@Hygro, too, I feel got ahead of the process with his "Damn the Bible is good."

Could I, for the moment, just get a "duh."?

That would be duh-lightful.

Y'all are supposed to be disappointed at this stage of my performance. "Really?" "That's all you got: a near-one is a near-one?" "Damn, why have I been paying attention to this clown for 25 pages?" The whole sport loses its fun if y'all keep jumping ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom