Bible talk

Why didn't God destroy the Earth years ago? Like right after Jesus was crucified?
The funny thing is that heaven and earth will be destroyed one day to be replaced by a new heaven and a new earth. It's all in the book of Revelation in the bible.

Moderator Action: Moved from Trump oriented thread. Please be civil and respectful of others' beliefs and positions. Birdjaguar

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny thing is that heaven and earth will be destroyed one day to be replaced by a new heaven and a new earth. It's all in the book of Revelation in the bible.
I don't respond to things like this much because I can't tell if you somehow don't already know and I suspect that I'm just being baited. How could someone not know? Well, possibly, if that's a serious question I have good news for you. Jesus died for in your place for your sins so that you may repent and be pardoned. Swear fealty to him and live eternally.

See John 3:16; et cetera!

Yeah but like why not sooner? Why does God have to save future born peoples if he's just going to end all bloodlines one day anyway? Why not just reduce suffering by making the bloodlines shorter and only extending the existence of creation a little bit past the crucifixion?

Why wait 2000+ years and have billions born only to have billions more that now have to suffer? By reducing the size of future bloodlines you would cut back in total net suffering by reducing the amount of future people that are capable of suffering.

Yeah but like why not sooner? Why does God have to save future born peoples if he's just going to end all bloodlines one day anyway? Why not just reduce suffering by making the bloodlines shorter and only extending the existence of creation a little bit past the crucifixion?

Why wait 2000+ years and have billions born only to have billions more that now have to suffer? By reducing the size of future bloodlines you would cut back in total net suffering by reducing the amount of future people that are capable of suffering.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It does not seem fair does it, that the sins of the fathers are visited upon their children? Nevertheless, what does life teach us but that we all sin just the same? We are born under a curse not of our making but of our free will we do the same. God could have aborted the human race but at what cost? Life is precious and eternal. Suffering is altogether beyond understanding, but I know joy. It's worth it. God loves us enough to let us suffer and He sheds tears with us. Love everlasting - we are God's children. Put your trust in Him and He will make things right.

Some say we must first be in darkness to recognize the light. Those words and all of my words fall far short of conveying the understanding that can be yours if you seek God with an earnest heart. He is really real. I hope for you.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
He is really real. I hope for you.

Quick Question: Have you actually READ the bible ?
Cause there are a LOT of problems

Mark-13-30.jpg

"The "generation" is those people who will witness the events of Mark 13:6–27."

I'm not entirely sure providing a source that says scholars have three (competing) interpretations helps the matter, exactly :)

I'm not entirely sure providing a source that says scholars have three (competing) interpretations helps the matter, exactly :)

I went with the one they said was most likely "This makes option 3 the most reasonable interpretation."

If you prefer option 1 or 2, that is quite okay with me.
🙂

I went with the one they said was most likely "This makes option 3 the most reasonable interpretation."

🙂
I mean, to me, the fun stuff is in how we humans constantly interpret and re-interpret religious texts. The level of effort is akin to a science in its own right. I don't knock it, atheist as I am.

But in terms of the messaging, that's what people still find confusing. And to be fair, folks do with science too.

🙂

This is the most hilarious explanation
As it Directly contradicts Mark 9:1
Youd think God with hes superior intelligence would be able to get hes message out in a clear way
But then every generations get to believe that they are the generation.

Mark 9-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is the most hilarious explanation
As it Directly contradicts Mark 9:1
Youd think God with hes superior intelligence would be able to get hes message out in a clear way
But then every generations get to believe that they are the generation.

View attachment 674402

Sounds like you have a lot of questions about the Bible. May I humbly suggest you invest in a study Bible. You would probably find it answers a lot of these questions you have. I have the archaeology study Bible.

Its very informative. However there are lots of other good options out there. It's all about finding the right study Bible for you.

I know why you lash out at God, the Bible, and Christians. It is because you are in pain, and I understand why. Those Australian losses to Fiji and Wales in the Rugby World Cup were pretty humiliating. I too was in pain after Portugal eliminated the USA, but I moved on, and I know you will too. I believe in you buddy. 🫂

I know why you lash out at God, the Bible, and Christians. It is because you are in pain, and I understand why.

The standard re-frame from Christians whom are unable to answer basic Bible questions
Sadly though that is the problem of me knowing the Bible too well,much more then the vast majority of Christians do

God would have simply used "THAT" Generation instead of "THIS" Generation
Plus it dosnt even make sense since the Tribulation has a very specific time frame in which it all the events occurs, which is less then one generation

The standard re-frame from Christians whom are unable to answer basic Bible questions
Sadly though that is the problem of me knowing the Bible too well,much more then the vast majority of Christians do

Plus it dosnt even make sense since the Tribulation has a very specific time frame in which it all the events occurs, which is less then one generation
I would say you probably know more about the Bible than Donald Trump. I like the fact that you seem to want to wrestle with the literal meaning of the text rather than to just metaphorize it to mush. There are in fact many difficult passages. One thing to mention, Jesus pointed out after his resurrection the many passages in the scriptures (OT) about Him which were not understood; likewise, it must be true that some of the New Testament prophecy will remain above us until He returns. Some of these prophesies will act as trump(ets) to announce that times have come. So, you shouldn't ever expect to understand Bible prophecy as one can other elements.

There are of course some who believe that Donald Trump is one of the last days trumpets. I do not. But I suppose I could be wrong. At this point I cannot discern whether God will make further use of him (writ large). Apparently, he does not want the Speaker of the House gig.

Wow, I expected a better come back then this. That response was just weak sauce! You didn't even try to defend Australian rugby. Instead you went with the typical boring atheist response, trying to take words out of context even though anyone who read the whole thing will see how you removed the whole context of my comments being good natured ribbing about Australia's humiliating, humbling, and embarrassing defeats to Fiji and Wales in the Rugby World Cup.

I could have answered your question about the Bible verse but then you would have just asked for my help regarding another Bible verse. So instead I thought about the whole "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
That proverb works extra well here thanks to all the fisherman imagery in the bible. For example Matthew 4:19. "Jesus said, “Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of people.”"
That is why I hope you decide to invest in a study Bible. That way you can 'feast' on the word of God for a lifetime.
After all why rely on some random person on the internet to explain bible verses for you when you could have a study bible written by a team of experts?

Anyway I don't want all this talk about Australian defeats in the Rugby World Cup to get you down. So instead we could talk about all those (soccer) world cups you have won, oh wait, that's awkward...
Well just remember Jesus loves all Australians no matter how much you all suck at sport. 😉

Last edited:
Moderator Action: split from Trump thread.

atheist here, i think it's important to stress that. although i had a long and intense abrahamic period, which i think is best aligned with a kind of gnostic delight in ritual. hard to explain. didn't ever care much for the church, found sheer eminence in abrahamic ritual.
anyways, point is, i'm an atheist, and i'm sympathetic to the idea of christianity, find a lot of beauty in a lot of it, including the poetry of the apocalypse, i'm just not convinced of it. and i'm not trying to convince you away from it. but i like to talk god. so here we go.

🙂
jesus wasn't written down until a fair bit post mortem specifically because his followers believed the apocalypse was right around the corner. early scripture reflects this. i presumed this was common knowledge in theology.

i don't know your source, and it's... kind of iffy. looks ok and isn't phrased in odd ways, but there's no identification of who wrote the explanations present, nor can i figure out where this organization is located. all huge red flags. it says, then, it's a subsidiary of GotQuestions.org which has the same purpose and provides biblical counsel to life things - and is located in colorado, but it's just a mailing address, not a physical address, still no idea who these people are. the anonymity is a red flag, the location is a... pink flag i guess?

see, firstly, no cited authors is a huge problem for figuring out credibility for a strange christian website i don't know, particularly an american one. regardless of your relationship to christianity, there are a lot of really bad small and weird apples in the united states. if you can dig up who makes this content, i'll be happy to see if i can figure out who they are.

secondly, i'm just going to be blunt. the pink flag. a lot of american christian denominations harshly reinterpret the bible instead of accepting it as the work it is, because they believe it has to be objectively correct to what they believe, and such. coming from denmark, who is admittedly much more atheist (even with our huge technical number of christians in our population, they are only affliated with the church without believing in it), our christians has a more appropriate relationship with the bible, drawing from bible studies and theology, noticing faults in scripture and discussing them as such failures as part of proper faithful practice. the faults in the scriptures - whether incongruent or just outright stating wrong things, such as an apocalypse shortly after jesus' death - actually don't go against your faith.

maybe it's because we spawned søren kierkegaard idk but our relationship with god just isn't dependent on biblical perfection, because it isn't. and i'm not going to be convinced by a scarcely sourced website, sorry. i need a theologist to explain it to me, and they usually note the many, numerous errors of it, this being part of it.

Last edited:
Belief in Biblical inerrancy is a gatekeeper for many evangelical Christian sects.

First and foremost, thank you Birdjaguar for creating this thread for us!

@Angst

I wasn't aware of your background history so thank you for sharing that with us. You make some good points but the one that stood out for me was:

our relationship with god just isn't dependent on biblical perfection

This is absolutely correct.

The word of god (in written bible form) has nothing to do with whether we have a good relationship with god or not, or actually to be more precise, whether we have a salvific relationship with god. Salvation is through belief in Jesus Christ alone. Jesus also happens to be the word of god. "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was with god, and the word was god."

here are a lot of really bad small and weird apples in the united states

And there are even worse and weird apples in the rest of the world. Do not let these bad apples spoil what could be a life changing joy you could have if you didn't listen to bad apples. The only way to know for sure is to start that conversation with god himself. We who already believe can point you in the right direction but we cannot and should not try to sway your belief systems.

My point is that all of us need to be careful about bad apples.

Now that being said can someone give the link in question here? I seemed to be missing something as I came in late to the conversation. The link is a subsidiary of GotQuestions.org??

(snippin a bit, because i didn't have much relevant to say)
First and foremost, thank you Birdjaguar for creating this thread for us!

@Angst

I wasn't aware of your background history so thank you for sharing that with us. You make some good points but the one that stood out for me was:
(wanted to say thanks! and)
Now that being said can someone give the link in question here? I seemed to be missing something as I came in late to the conversation. The link is a subsidiary of GotQuestions.org??
the context was this explanatory link for mark's apocalyptic speculations:
personally, i couldn't find any identificators on the website, and going to its "parent" company/affliation/link/something, GotQuestions.org, according to itself, screenshootin from the right of the page -
1696540878072.png

- also revealed nothing about the nature of the institution. as such, i'm very careful as what this institution is.

mind you, from light browsing, everything seemed like a regular proselytizing christian church, but it reveals nothing about itself. seems mild rhetorically, but the lack of identifying factors is a big problem these days (doesn't just apply to christian websites, y'know)

if anything, i prefer listening to theologians over anonymous websites. that was the whole point.

sidenotes, that may be interesting, maybe not. i don't know about the states, but in denmark, you need a full 5 years in university theology to become a priest, which includes bible history, history of the church, christian philosophy, and philosophical problems of god/godhood. so the editorial problems of the bible, for example, are integral to your readings of it. it's much more understood as poetic than literal here for christians. when i was confirmed as a teen, our priest educated us in the nordic creation myth per the edda and its probable connection to the abrahamic creation myth (which showcases the problems of a biased christian writing it, and general problems with written mythology), discrepancies in the gospels (same problems again), some of the antisocial discrepancies within lutheran thought (important under a lutheran church), stuff like that. besides just being (re-)educated in biblical mythology, of course that was also there. the point is that even as a staunch christian, our priest made sure to show some of the problems of biblical readings and the church as an institution. all while preaching about jesus.

this experience is anecdotical of course. i believe some of the more traditional areas in denmark may have a very different experience. but it is telling. priests are required a university education in theology, which means they'll have this stuff integral to their practice. i also don't know, but in general danish christians, priests included, show much less... zeal. if that makes sense. it sadly also takes away from the intensity of christian rituals. while i dislike many of the outcomes of many zealous rants, as a poet, i can't help but respect the sheer emotive power that is more present in the bible belt's preaching.

Well, maybe it more than just emotive power.

:D

Gotquestions appears to be the work of a young man named Houdmann. Evangelical, dispensationalist.

Last edited:
personally, i couldn't find any identificators on the website, and going to its "parent" company/affliation/link/something, GotQuestions.org, according to itself, screenshootin from the right of the page

Thank you for the link. Now I understand what you were all talking about regarding the options. I can point you to quite a few other sources that would talk about the same subject and many more. Like you say it's hard to know who is saying what if you don't have any background information on the source itself. Like you, I also prefer to listen to theologians as well as various preachers and bible teachers on these matters. Then I go to websites like Bible Gateway, etc. and compare what is being said their to what theologians are saying. Then at the end of the day I ask the Lord himself to help me understand the truth.

It's interesting background you give about how priests are ordained in Denmark. What they must do to become a priest is certainly impressive and at first glance is convincing that they know what they're talking about. Still you also have the freedom to look into subjects yourself and seek answers. I like the fact that the your priest from your youth was honest enough to admit their are some challenges in understanding bible verses.

The key is to find an institution that has not been bought by corporate money if you are looking for truthful answers. There are many sheep in wolves clothing eager to deceive and I believe that causes many ordinary people to simply give up on this whole religion thing. This is why I constantly say go to the source Himself for answers and let everything else fall into place. They don't usually teach this in church.

Top Bottom