I didn't like it

LordRahl

The Objectivist
I'm a big fan of the series, and played every single one, starting with Civ 1, back when it came out for Commodore Amiga 500, back in the early 90's.

Having said that, I just didn't like the demo. While the team made a great job of getting the game playable with the controller, it still didn't feel right, and the whole time I had this impression of being constrained. I couldn't zoom out as far as I wanted to, I couldn't scroll as fast as I wanted to. Civilization is meant to be played with a mouse. They should've at least given us that option - I can use my USB mouse and keyboard to browse the net on my PS3, why can't Civ enable it in the actual game?

While the control is my biggest issue there are other problems. There was no grid, which I absolutely hate - the first thing I do in my PC strategy games is turning the grid on. I also find cartoony graphics really off-putting.

I won't be getting Civ Rev, and wait for Civ 5 instead.

There was no grid, which I absolutely hate - the first thing I do in my PC strategy games is turning the grid on.

I had to laugh when reading that ;-) The first thing i do as well, is turning on the grid AND ressource information... I really do miss that in CivRev.

I'll still get it though...

I want my resource bubbles. Do you know how hard it is to see OAK amongst other trees? :blush:

Agree with the need for resource bubbles and gridlines. Options are everyone's best friend. Please let them be options!!!

Resource Bubbles I think are the most important
second would be well defined road graphics... a number of the terrain types are light colored, and a light road on them doesn't look as good)
second would be well defined types of terrain

gridlines are would be last on that list.

The ability to zoom out properly would really help

I never used gridlines, but having resource/terrain information pop-up when your cursor is over that terrain would be welcome. You get some resource information like this when it's a settler's turn, even if you're not actively moving the unit, so they might as well give you the option. (otherwise you could just keep a settler unit doing nothing to enable this)

I actually love the graphics, but the zoom would work better if it was a toggle, rather than always snapping back. It would be another welcome option.

I never used gridlines, but having resource/terrain information pop-up when your cursor is over that terrain would be welcome. You get some resource information like this when it's a settler's turn, even if you're not actively moving the unit, so they might as well give you the option. (otherwise you could just keep a settler unit doing nothing to enable this)

I actually love the graphics, but the zoom would work better if it was a toggle, rather than always snapping back. It would be another welcome option.

Agree with everything you said there. The lack of info on the map is the one thing that I really hate in this demo. Whenever you move the "glass" thing with the right stick, there needs to be a little popup window displaying all tile info.

Type of Terrain
Hammers/Beakers/Food/
Any Resources
Worked/Unworked
Culture
And whatever units are there... which is already in the game.

Some of these things are hard to see, this would remedy it, and not interfere at all with the look of the environment. The same way this kind of stuff is displayed in Civ 4.
They also really need to include the option for the arrows which point to resources and the hammers/beakers/food symbols to display on every tile all the time.

I only played a couple of times but I found it difficult to keep track of what my cities were doing. Also, I couldn't zoom out far enough or move fast enough. Overall, the game just wasn't very well adapted to my xbox 360.

That's why I'm planning on sticking to the DS version; not only will it be portable, but that stylus control option seems pretty appealing for potential micromanagement, among other things.

That's weird. I thought the controls worked quite well. And I'm surprised anybody complained about not being able to scroll fast. It FLIES. It starts slow, then speeds up after a second for long distance scrolling.

I thought the controls were fine but I would like the option to see resource bubbles. I also prefer when the unique units actually provide a unique bonus. What's the point otherwise? Each Civilization's units should look different anyway. But I'll still be getting it. :)

you think oak is hard, try finding the rubber :eek:

I think it'd be nice to have resource bubbles as well, but that's only one of about 4 or 5 things I think could be improved in it.

I never used gridlines, but having resource/terrain information pop-up when your cursor is over that terrain would be welcome.

I guess you mean more detailed info since you can see what type of resource is there, and if you have the requirements for it, also what it produces.

i didnt know there was oak in the game thats how hard it is to spot. In 1.20 they added a popup for resources. so there you go. Its in the bottom left when the magnify glass is over it.

This game stinks.
So GTFO these forums and stop making such useless posts.
OT: I did find it slightly childish but to be honest I got over that in a second. It's a great game.

after playing it for a while I don't like it at all,

1). It is illogical with regards to what unit can defeat another. It isn't documented anywhere that a Archer unit can shoot down fighters, how bizarre.
2). The tech tree becomes weird, i.e. if you have an advanced tech it offers you a tech of a lower sophistication, e.g. I have Cruisers and it offers me Galleons. that is just too illogical for words.
3). The tutorial doesn't prepare you for the difficult levels at all, I was quite good in the lower levels but was totally frustrated at the higher levels with the same strategy, defeats the object of the tutorial and renders the game pointless as the outcome is that the player is going to lose, and it's a exercise in frustration if you persevere to the pointless end.
4). Finding the darn tutorials was a mission, (yes I'm a noob at console games).
5). The tutorials are hopelessly inadequate as to what diplomacy can achieve for you, (still don't know after trying several higher games).
6). The AI is far to aggressive at the higher levels, spend most of my time defending and lose. (perhaps my mindset isn't devious enough for this game, or perhaps I don't know the cheats, but cheating to win defeats the object no ?).
7). why doesn't the AI pick wars with other AI's more aggressively and more often ?.
8). why is it that when the AI plays China it'll just expand and expand until it has pushed all my perimeter forces to my doorstep, yet when I play as the Chinese this never happens to my neighbours ?.

The developers have all the cheats and I'm sure they know this game inside out, it is after all their bread and butter, and in the process they lost sight of how to make a good game, they were so involved with the nuts and bolts that they couldn't see the forest for the trees...

Would I recommend this game, a big emphatic NO.....

Well revcrap, here are some suggestions to your problems:

1) Check combat strengths of the units next time, and be prepared to lose more units as you move up in the difficulty levels. Also realize it is just a game... it's not trying to be a super realistic game, so yes, sometimes your fighters can lose to archers.

2) Never experienced this myself so I dunno what happened there.

3) Never played the tutorial. However, you Would think that as you move up the difficulty levels the same strategy will no longer work because the AI becomes more difficult... You have to mix up your strategy. A lot of it depends on what civ you are, what the map is like, what the other civs are etc. You can't expect to beat the entire game using only one strategy, through all the difficulty levels... because there will always be instances where your strategy won't be effective

4) Again, never played tutorial, so no comment here.

5) Diplomacy can be used to trade techs, get the AI to declare war on one another, and you can demand things from the AI to keep peace, otherwise if they don't pay up you declare war.

6) You don't have to cheat to win, I'm not even sure if you can in this game. Never been one to cheat in games... However, the AI does get more aggressive, you just have to adjust. When I first picked up Civ Rev, I thought much the same as everyone else, but the more you play it, the more you will end up enjoying it. The AI's aggressiveness is fun because it provides more of a challenge.

7) Depends on how the game is going I think. I've had games where I did bad tech/economic wise, but went for culture. The AI didn't really seem to want to pick on me, because I didn't challenge them in the victory they were going for. The AI does declare war on each other, but not very often. Just another thing to get used to, I guess.

8) I think your talking about your cultural borders, and well, this is kind of easy to explain. The AI who played as China likely built temples/cathedrals/wonders to get culture. You likely were lacking in this area, so his borders were pushing your troops/men further back. It has nothing to do with the fact that the AI was Chinese. So you can't expect to all of a sudden play as the Chinese and have that same effect happen... if you build cultural buildings, then maybe you will notice this.

I think you just need to play more, and learn more about the game. If you can't win on a higher difficulty level, play on the difficulty level you can win on until you get really good. Then when you do move up in difficulty level expect:

a) The combat bonuses you received on chieftan and warlord disappear. To account for this, bring more armies when you go to war, and be smart about which promotions you choose for your armies.

b) The AI will tech faster, and pressure you more. You have to get good at specializing your cities, and make sure you are prepared for war. Make sure when you prepare for war, that you build a good mix of both offensive and defensive units.

c) Don't expect to get all the techs and wonders first. Try to develop a strategy early on in the game, and use the strategy to work towards a victory condition. If you know you wont be able to keep up in technology, then maybe put a little bit more focus on your economy, or on culture. Domination might be hard if the AI has more advanced units, but it can always be done.

d) Don't waste time building things in your cities you don't need. Not all your cities need barracks, libraries, markets etc. If a city is near the coast, it can be good for science or gold. But pick one, and only produce buildings that will increase its effect. Build markets and banks for gold, library and universities for tech.

e) Always hit "let me think about it" on your great people, and ANALYZE where they will have the greatest effect, and also realize that if your going for cultural victory, its probably better to settle the great person somewhere. If you just use them to get gold or a tech fast, they will not count towards the culture victory.

I was looking very very much forward to this game till they cancelled it for the Wii. :( People who think it sucks and its childish should go and do something else rather than sit around and post complaints. I'd play it if I had the right hardware, I don't care if its percieved as "childish" to a few up tight PC users.

Well revcrap, here are some suggestions to your problems:
Aden52, many thanks for your lengthy reply to my difficulties, much appreciated.

This is my first console game ever. The first and only game I played was on a pc in 1993, "Dune", there are similarities, but strategy is totally different.

To the op above; I don't think games are childish, I think that they are a great way to improve hand eye coordination, and stimulate the mind.

I'll stop "whining" as some of you so succinctly put it, persevere at trying to win at King level, for playing at the lower levels is of no use as it doesn't develop the correct strategy and mindset required for higher levels and.....if I don't make headway I'll quietly bin this game.

Many thanks to all the helpers.

Top Bottom