The idolized Obama

Will Obama live up to hype?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just saw a clip where a Swedish singer rap about Obama and yesterday there was an overwhelming support for Obama in a survey. I think McCain got 3% in it, about a 1/3 were undecided though.

Normally I'm pretty skeptical towards politicians. They've not gotten to where they are because of their high ethics or morals, but can't say I see anything wrong with Obama. I'm not sure I'd agree with all his views, but he seems genuinely trustworthy and much more so than any other politician I've come across.

I'm pretty curious how this will go if he wins. There are usually never options this good when it comes to choosing leaders and I'd really like to see what he can accomplish.

What I'm wondering is - What's your view of him - Is he anything special?
If he gets elected - Will he be able to live up to the idolized view many people have of him?

Edit: To those who says he's just like any other politician - What could a person on verge of becoming president do and be to get you excited at the notion? What did Obama do to lose your confidence? Is it general cynicism about politics that keep your spirits down?

He is a politition.
Why do people talk about him like he is the second comming or something?

He is a man of extremely high ability to get to where he is today, and I think his identity will help him on the world stage. Will he achieve to the levels of godly idolization that some have elevated him to? No. But I think he will be successful.

He is a politition.
Why do people talk about him like he is the second comming or something?
He is a politician. What I'm asking is if he's something more - a great person that can change the country and parts of the world for the better. It doesn't need to be a second coming, just the right guy at the right place.
Have you noticed anything about him except for the fact him being a politician, that suggests he's like any other politicians?

Normally I'm pretty skeptical towards politicians. They've not gotten to where they are because of their high ethics or morals, but can't say I see anything wrong with Obama. I'm not sure I'd agree with all his views, but he seems genuinely trustworthy and much more so than any other politician I've come across.

Can't see anything wrong with him?
OK...How about this...

He sits in a racist church for 20 years. Once he decides to run for president he decides he needs to distance himself from the racist church. Says he didn't know it was a racist church.

To me this looks like one of two things.
Either he sat there for 20 years and actually didn't realize what was being said. That would make him stupid.
Or he decided that there was no way that he could get elected without cutting ties to his racest church so he did what a typical politician does and says whatever he thinks people want to hear.

Which is it? Is he stupid or is he a typical politician?

He won't get everything done, but he'll get more done than most people.

Americans must be the most gullible nation on the planet...
Care to explain?
OK...How about this...

He sits in a racist church for 20 years. Once he decides to run for president he decides he needs to distance himself from the racist church. Says he didn't know it was a racist church.

Either he sat there for 20 years and actually didn't realize what was being said. That would make him stupid.
Or he decided that there was no way that he could get elected without cutting ties to his racest church so he did what a typical politician does and says whatever he thinks people want to hear.

Churches aren't racist, the leader might be, but you don't have to agree with everything a leader or a pastor says. I have friends with different views than mine. Perhaps he liked the people in the church and perhaps he could have his own views challenged in this church with this charismatic pastor. Of course he had to distance himself from the pastor when too much extreme views were brought up, it doesn't make him a typical politician, he just was forced to do what was necessary.

OK...How about this...

And in dealing with a potentially very dangerous situation, he took the opportunity to make probably the most intelligent and interesting speech of the campaign.

Politician, with a lot of personal ambition. You can't get to where he is on idealism alone. However I think he has the interests of the country at heart (and I think this of McCain too) and I think he'll be able to accomplish much of what he wants to do.

Bit of A, and of B. A different traditional politician if you will.

OK...How about this...

You are such a typical white person.

Don't ALL presidents accomplish pretty much?

He's a typical political hack. In fact, the longer the campaign goes on the more he reminds me of George W. Bush. And that's not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Medias invested in Obama giving him popularity, in exchange of more economical privileges in case of his electoral victory. Time will speak...

Americans must be the most gullible nation on the planet...

Do not worry, we will become like them in the next 20 years...

I answered "yes." I think he is different and will accomplish much. He will live up to the hype that Obama supporters want, but he won't live up to the hype that McCain supporters imagine Obama supporters want.

Cynicism is the innest thing right now, but honestly a single president can accomplish a lot. Think about saying, "oh they're all politicians" in 1929. Or 1999. The world was very different ten years later, primarily because of the actions of the Presidents subsequently elected.

Cleo

I think it will depend on several things:

1. Whether perceptions of Obama actually match up with what Obama says. A lot of times they don't. He's not nearly as liberal on some issues as people hope (or fear).

2. Number of senate seats and the republican determination to filibuster.

3. How long he has to spend undoing many of the poor executive orders and signing statements enacted by Bush.

He certainly is in a position to become one of the greatest presidents. Then again, I thought the same thing about Bush. We'll see.

Top Bottom