A Little Bit Nervous About College

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
Oh, another thing, be sure to keep all your syllabus and remember which classes you can miss if necessary. Most professors keep the entire class schedule (all tests and such) on the syllabus so you can know which days you can miss. Obviously, you shouldn't take off everyday you can, but its psychologically easing knowing you can skip class if you need to.

DO NOT carry a book bag or anything more than a laptop or notebook to class or people like me will make snide comments about your new:):):):):):)ry. Don't carry your student id on a neckring or anything like that that will make you look like a tacky freshmen. You may want to find your classes the weekend before class starts so you know where your going to.

edit: wow nice new autocensor

It is a very good idea to keep every syllabus you get. Not just because it will help in knowing what classes you can skip, but if you ever have to transfer, your new school will require that you show them your syllabi so you can get credit. Staying on top of your paperwork can save you thousands of dollars.

And forget what Kulade said about backpacks. That is stupid. Bring everything you may need to class...if your professor allows laptops, and its useful for you, bring a laptop. Bring your books, notebooks, whatever.
In most respects it's similar to high school.

Really? I found the two experiences to be nearly completely different. The amount of freedom you have in college, compared to HS, is incomparable.

Kerozine

Deity
Really? I found the two experiences to be nearly completely different. The amount of freedom you have in college, compared to HS, is incomparable.

'In most respects'. ;)

iono, maybe we've had different experiences? The one thing that sticks out for me was just how much more 'accelerated' it is compared to HS.

But if you take chemical or bio engineering you have to take organic chemistry :sleep: :eek: :nuke:

I actually liked Organic Chemistry, especially stuff like figuring out structures from lab data and synthesis. It was like doing one of those puzzle books you got as a kid.

You probably had a bad professor. ;)

Counterclaw

Prince
Hey guys, college is less than a year away for me, and I'm a little nervous.

Any advice? :sad:

Yes! Enjoy it while you're there! You'll miss it when you're done. :)

Shadowbound

Incorrugible
You need to go streaking on the second day, early in the morning when everyone is still half asleep.

It's about setting the tone.

Shadylookin

master debater
Oh another thing is I would avoid taking a laptop to class(assuming you have one). There's a great temptation to ignore your professor and just mess around on the computer.

Whomp

Keep Calm and Carry On
Retired Moderator
The only thing you have to worry about in college is getting sexiled. Then you'll have no console or likely anything else that matters to you.

I actually liked Organic Chemistry, especially stuff like figuring out structures from lab data and synthesis. It was like doing one of those puzzle books you got as a kid.

You probably had a bad professor. ;)

I'm talking about doing it in HS, so it may be different.

But I like humanity stuff more anyway.

Genocidicbunny

Bug squasher
High School classes are nothing like college classes.

Red Door

Man of Mayhem
Speaking from experience as a first-semester Freshman at a major public liberal arts college.

1.)The work load really is a lot, especially for liberal arts students. I have a ridiculous amount of reading to do every night. That being said, don't fall behind early either. As much fun as the Library can be some nights, your body was not designed to be awake and actively learning until 4 AM.
2.)Joining a club or an organization is really a great, quick way to making friends. I am an active member of 2 organizations and am pledging for a fraternity. Fraternities are a really good way to meet people and have fun, but they really are not for everyone. In your first weekends of school, try going to a few events and see if the guys are people you would like to know. And believe me, fraternity life is not Animal House, it is a group of brothers that are instant friends and mentors.
3.)Don't party too hard. Limit going out to 2-3 nights a week. It's tempting to go out every night you can with your new found freedom, but it really hurts your class attendance.
4.)Go to class. Seriously, I had trouble with it, even with my earliest class at 11 AM and it is killing my grades.
5.)Your grades really do matter now. Coming out of college, you need to have a job/plan lined up and your grades really help determine what that plan is. Don't fall behind like I am already doing, it is going to kill me during the next 7 semesters.
6.)The first few weeks will be awkward. Don't worry, it is for everyone. Get your bearings down with your hallmates and find some cool people. Eat with them. Play with them. Socialize with them.
7.)Find your roommate on Facebook through those survey things. Believe me, you do not want to be in a roommate from hell scenario like I have. Find a person that is compatible with you and you could stand with, don't look for your next bromance or bestie.
8.)Don't take too many credits. They told us to take 12-13. I have a friend doing 19 and he is getting destroyed. I am taking 15 and am sometimes overwhelmed. High School to college is a difficult transition, don't overburden yourself.
9.)Be yourself, be open, and be friendly. Not too many people know a hell of a lot of people going to the same college, so everyone is on a new page. You can meet some great people and form some great relationships that will be there in 20+ years.

10.)Most importantly, have fun. College can be a blast if you know how to moderate yourself. Don't focus on solely academics, but don't focus solely on partying. Find a study group, watch television with your dorm, order a pizza at 3 am, get wasted at a party, whatever, do something that you want to do.

I am home for the first time since mid-August and surprisingly, I already want to go back to college. I found myself bored this afternoon for the first time in forever.

Karalysia

Deity
1.)The work load really is a lot, especially for liberal arts students. I have a ridiculous amount of reading to do every night. That being said, don't fall behind early either. As much fun as the Library can be some nights, your body was not designed to be awake and actively learning until 4 AM.

I disagree I do the 4 am thing and it works. Some people can manage it some can't.

8.)Don't take too many credits. They told us to take 12-13. I have a friend doing 19 and he is getting destroyed. I am taking 15 and am sometimes overwhelmed. High School to college is a difficult transition, don't overburden yourself.

Disagree. It depends on the person. I'm doing 18 credits, an internship, and active in a student organization and I'm finding it to be very manageable.

TheLastOne36

Deity
Disagree. It depends on the person. I'm doing 18 credits, an internship, and active in a student organization and I'm finding it to be very manageable.

yes depends on the person.

I myself seem to do well under pressure, it is time management when i'm not under pressure that was the problem with me.

Red Door

Man of Mayhem
I disagree I do the 4 am thing and it works. Some people can manage it some can't.

Your body is not biologically made for working at 4 am. It's a fact. You can manage it some times, but that is not how you are supposed to live.

I was talking about solely from the perspective a freshman in their first semester.

Shylock

Hey smiling strange
I went to community college for the first two years. It was alright I guess. Met some cool people. I'm in university now (commuting) and it sucks. Nobody can get a lot of classes, they are constantly jacking up the tuition, and nobody wants to talk to me.

Genocidicbunny

Bug squasher
Your body is not biologically made for working at 4 am. It's a fact. You can manage it some times, but that is not how you are supposed to live.
Again, depends on the person. Ive been doing it for nearly a year now, and yes, i feel tired sometimes, but thats mainly when I go to bed at 4 am and have to be up before 12. I work best later in the day, as even when I get 9 hours of sleep per night, I dont feel great in the morning. Wake me up before 10am, and no matter how long I slept the night before, ill feel like poo poo.

Karalysia

Deity
Again, depends on the person. Ive been doing it for nearly a year now, and yes, i feel tired sometimes, but thats mainly when I go to bed at 4 am and have to be up before 12. I work best later in the day, as even when I get 9 hours of sleep per night, I dont feel great in the morning. Wake me up before 10am, and no matter how long I slept the night before, ill feel like poo poo.

Same here. My best working times are 8pm-4 am. At which point I sleep from 4 till about 9:30 am usually. I feel tired earlier in the day but that wears off. I've been doing this for almost 2 years now.

Genocidicbunny

Bug squasher
4 to 9:30 isnt nearly enough for me. I usually go 4-12 or so.

Karalysia

Deity
Well I usually relive my monstrous sleep debt by sleeping 13-15 hours on the weekends.

Nylan

Characters Welcome
I slept in the library between classes when necessary.

Top Bottom