New EU population data released - EU pop. now over half a billion

Winner

Diverse in Unity
Click here (PDF). Contains a table with precise figures. Eurostat summary:

European demography
EU27 population 501 million at 1 January 2010
More than 5 million children born in the EU27 in 2009

On 1 January 20101, the population of the EU27 was estimated at 501.1 million, compared with 499.7 million on 1 January 2009. The population of the EU27 grew by 1.4 million in 2009, an annual rate of 2.7 per 1000 inhabitants, due to a natural increase of 0.5 million (+1.0‰) and net migration of 0.9 million (+1.7‰).

Compared with 2008, the demographic situation in 2009 in the EU27 is characterised by a slight decrease in the crude birth rate and a constant crude death rate, while net migration fell more significantly.

The population of the euro area (EA16) was estimated at 329.5 million on 1 January 2010, compared with 328.6 million on 1 January 2009. The population of the euro area grew by 0.9 million in 2009, an annual rate of +2.7‰, due to a natural increase of 0.3 million (+1.0‰) and net migration of 0.6 million (+1.8‰).

These figures come from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union.

Highest birth rates in Ireland, United Kingdom and France, lowest in Germany and Austria

In 2009, 5.4 million children were born in the EU27. The crude birth rate was 10.7 per 1000 inhabitants, slightly down compared with 2008 (10.9‰). The highest birth rates were recorded in Ireland (16.8‰), the United Kingdom (12.8‰), France (12.7‰), Cyprus (12.2‰) and Sweden (12.0‰), and the lowest rates in Germany (7.9‰), Austria (9.1‰), Portugal (9.4‰), Italy (9.5‰), Latvia and Hungary (both 9.6‰).

There were 4.8 million deaths registered in the EU27 in 2009. The crude death rate was 9.7 per 1000 inhabitants, the same as in 2008. The highest death rates were observed in Bulgaria (14.2‰), Latvia (13.3‰), Hungary (13.0‰) and Lithuania (12.6‰), and the lowest rates in Ireland (6.6‰), Cyprus (6.7‰), Luxembourg (7.3‰) and Malta (7.8‰).

Consequently, the highest natural growth of the population was registered in Ireland (+10.2‰), well ahead of Cyprus (+5.5‰), France (+4.3‰), Luxembourg (+4.0‰) and the United Kingdom (+3.7‰). Ten Member States had a negative natural growth, with the largest declines in Bulgaria and Latvia (both -3.6‰), Hungary (-3.4‰) and Germany (-2.3‰).

EU27 population growth in 2009: between -6.2‰ in Lithuania and +17.2‰ in Luxembourg

In 2009, just over 60% of the increase in the EU27 population came from migration. In relative terms, Luxembourg (+13.2‰), Sweden (+6.7‰), Slovenia (+5.8‰), Italy (+5.3‰) and Belgium (+5.1‰) had the largest net inflows, while Ireland (-9.0‰) and Lithuania (-4.6‰) recorded the highest net outflows.

In conclusion, the population increased in nineteen Member States and decreased in eight, with considerable variations between Member States. The largest relative increases were observed in Luxembourg (+17.2‰), Sweden (+9.1‰), Slovenia (+7.2‰), Belgium (+7.1‰) and the United Kingdom (+6.7‰), and the largest decreases in Lithuania (-6.2‰), Latvia (-5.7‰), Bulgaria (-5.6‰) and Germany (-2.5‰).

What surprises me is the German data. Not only is the country losing population due to the natural change, but also more people are leaving Germany than immigrating to it. Strange.

Czech population rose by 39 thousand in 2009 (28k due to positive net migration which is the highest among new member states) and is now 10.5 million.

The fertility of the French (sort of) is scary.

What surprises me is the German data. Not only is the country losing population due to the natural change, but also more people are leaving Germany than immigrating to it. Strange.

I remember looking and it is crazy hard to get into Germany. I think I needed a job offer in hand before I would be allowed a residency permit. I wonder how all of the Turks made it in, I suspect that since they have family there already it is easier.

I remember looking and it is crazy hard to get into Germany. I think I needed a job offer in hand before I would be allowed a residency permit. I wonder how all of the Turks made it in, I suspect that since they have family there already it is easier.

That's what I remember too, when I lived there. In order to become a German citizen, you had to prove that one of your ancestors was a German citizen of some sort.. OR work away and hope for the best.. OR be a good footballer.

Luxembourg has one of the lowest death rates, one of the highest natural growth and received the largest relative immigrant flow.

If the trend continues any day Luxembourg will rule Europe. :eek:

That's what I remember too, when I lived there. In order to become a German citizen, you had to prove that one of your ancestors was a German citizen of some sort.. OR work away and hope for the best.. OR be a good footballer.

What ? When was that ?
The Turks (and i the case of my parents the Yugoslavs) came to Germany during the sixties and seventies when Germany had a shortage of labour.
One of the many, many problems in Germany today is that high skilled second generation immigrants are discriminated against in the job market and leave in disgust.
We have children of immigrant workers who have managed to succeed in our highly selective education system and are very qualified but don't get the job because their name is too turkish.

citizenship in Germany is actually reasonably simple to attain, appart from being descendend from German citizens you can get the citizenship by being born in Germany or by having lived for at least 8 years in German while having a permanent residency permit. Now the permanent permit is the tricky part for non-EU citizens :mischief:
As for more emigration than immigration: Germany is very restrictive with regards to work permits issued to non-EU citizens and those permits are nowadays usually time limited so people don't get any ideas about staying here :)mischief:) while parts of Germany still have tremendously high unemployment rates and offer little in the way of career opportunities for young people and those that are willing to work elsewhere do end up leaving the country quite often (though more end up moving to other parts of Germany).

Edit: x-post this was a reply to warpus, @GoodSarmatian: you are right there is also some discrimnatory pressure, but I do think its mainly due to a tight job market in large parts of the country that this is actually possible...

Does it count if I'm descended from people who left Württemberg 250 years ago?

Does it count if I'm descended from people who left Württemberg 250 years ago?

if you happen to live and (and your family has been living since before 1945) in lithunia, latvia, estonia or countries that formed part of the soviet union: yes, if not: no ;)

You're not a country yet, so this statistic is irrelevant. Federalize first.

We have children of immigrant workers who have managed to succeed in our highly selective education system and are very qualified but don't get the job because their name is too turkish.

Then change it, like the previous waves of immigrants to Germany.

Getting in isn't that hard. Obtaining citizenship is a harder nut to crack.

You could try getting into Germany via other European country - EU citizens (well, most of them :p ) are free to live in any EU country.

Anyway, the German exemption from the EU free movement of workforce policy ends in 2011, which will open Germany to the hordes of Polish plumbers. I expect the immigration trend to reverse rapidly :mischief:

"A country" is so last millenium...

from the looks of it, most of them moved here ;) The SVP already have found a new target group after muslims that are destroying our country :ack:

Well Winner, considering 'native' European population growth vs their Muslim counterparts (their higher fertility and high immigration rates), what do you think the demographics will look like in 50 years time?

Pretty normal. Maybe there will be more Muslims in Europe, but even if their numbers doubled, they'd still be faaaaar from being the majority. By that time, a lot of today's immigrants will be assimilated and hopefully we'll see the rise of "euro-islam". Basically a watered-down version of today's islam similar to the form of Christianity practised by most believing Europeans.

European population will be older (on average) and the population will be gradually decreasing. Finally.

Top Bottom