OVERLORD (1941 Start) - Second World War In Europe, North Africa, and the Soviet Union

I also have an idea how to make sure AI would do an invasion :)
I'd love to hear it lol

Btw I don't think it needs a fix, it means happy time for subs is over, convoys are much harder to attack - as it happened historically.
This is really interesting, perhaps a good idea I could maybe implement as a late-game upgrade for Allied sea transports.

The reason I don't like doing things such as this, however, is it railroads Germany's decline. This is fine if you want your mod to parallel history. But I intend for this mod to be as 'sandboxy' as possible.
That being said, there are a few things in the mod that do force Germany on the defense compared to the Allies. Namely: that the Enigma Machine and Abwehr wonders become obsolete at the end of the Industrial tech tree. Also, late-game German units are slightly weaker than their Allied counterparts and they have some unique units that can be built without some previously necessary resources, such as the Volksjager jet fighter I just added, which does not require Aluminum.

I think it's a nice feature to represent u-boat ability to scout convoys from greater distance, like 6-7 tiles away.
I could maybe see this justified as representing radio direction finding on the part of the u-boat wolfpack. IRL, of course, this would have been done by multiple u-boats to triangulate a position. But, still. Good thoughts, again.

I see that in 1.5 capturing of enemy artillery was disabled. It's good, because I had a swarm of USSR artillery as Germany (especially Katyusa's were funny to see in german hands :) ) that could crack the hardest defense anywhere.
Good, that's an unintended side-effect but a welcome one. Though I did like the parallel with historical reality, as the Germans did use a ton of captured allied equipment, particularly from the French.

But I have an idea, what if capturing these artillery results in spawning supplies? That means these captured materials were broke up for re-use for various purposes.
I don't think this is possible to implement.

Firstly, artillery is now uncapturable primarily because of the new regional city graphics. I'll explain: in Civ3, units can only be captured if they are buildable by the civ capturing them. That means all artillery needed to be available to all civs, with differentiation between which civ can build what dependent on unique strategic resources. These were named "Industrial German City," "Industrial British City"... etc. And they were placed under the civ's cities.
Once I changed city graphics to be based on resources, this had to be changed.

So artillery cannot be capturable anymore for this reason, and because it simply doesn't fit in the tech tree anymore.

Secondly, I don't think there is a way in the Civ3 engine to produce a different unit than the one being captured. If you know of one, let me know! Thanks for your comments. :)

I'd love to hear it lol

however, is it railroads Germany's decline
unfortunately I feel my idea would railroad Germany's decline, e.g. it would guarantee allied invasion in Normandy, which would be really hard to hold back... :)

btw I found a bug, you can build all 4 film industry related wonders as any country, it wasn't the case for the previous version:

1691147722188.png

I could maybe see this justified as representing radio direction finding on the part of the u-boat wolfpack. IRL, of course, this would have been done by multiple u-boats to triangulate a position. But, still. Good thoughts, again.
The German U-Boats did technically have a recon capability, though it saw limited use due to Allied air superiority.

unfortunately I feel my idea would railroad Germany's decline, e.g. it would guarantee allied invasion in Normandy, which would be really hard to hold back... :)
I wish you would just tell me what you're thinking :)

btw I found a bug
:blush: thanks for that. Easy fix, and it's not the end of the world. Attached are the hotfixed .biqs.

The German U-Boats did technically have a recon capability, though it saw limited use due to Allied air superiority.
I did know about these. I have thought of giving some subs limited recon (ie. operation radius = 0).

In real life operation, they greatly aided visibility for a sub. But as translates to the game, it's not any advantage over the default view distance for sea units.

I'll add it anyway. But it only affects one unit: the (SS) Type XXI uboat for Germany, as the autogyro was first fielded in 1942.

OVERLORD v1.5_01 hotfix (see attached)
Changelog
Code:
1.5_01

- fixed: Motion Pictures are now confined to their host nations rather than buildable by all
- (SS) Type XXI uboat (Germany) given the Recon ability with 0 operational range

Attachments

• Overlord_1941_1.5_01.zip
    2 MB · Views: 63
1691374743770.png

I don't think the great guy would have been too happy that the other great guy's statue caused any smiles in Berlin.... :lol:
No need to fix I think, it just makes me smile :)

Meteor Man, your adaption of the HOI techtree to Civ 3 is brilliant modding work! :hatsoff:

Since the early attempts of Cimbri, who did a fantastic work in the early time of Civ 3 when he created his WW2 scenario, we know about the wonderful fitting of the HOI graphics (at that time HOI 1) to the large and small icons of Civ 3, but until now nobody was able transform the HOI techtree to a useful Civ 3 techtree. I am sure, even the old SOE modders would have liked your great techtree adaption. :)

I also have an idea how to make sure AI would do an invasion :)

I'd love to hear it lol

May be gugu84 meant the invasion by land bridges covered with ruin graphics showing water, in SOE. I don´t know, if this is fitting well with the philosophy of a sandbox game. One thing is sure: With these settings bloody battles to invade Britain (or the Continent) are granted. The other side of the medal is, that these battles can happen "in the water", so may be only one tile for a land bridge would be working better as here always one part of the battle has a contact to the "shown" land terrain.

Spoiler :

There are two land connections between France and Britain marked with resources: The Sea Lion route between Dover and Calais and the D-Day route between Cherbourg and the Isle of Wight. On land it can happen, that the AI uses large forces. Therefore SOE can have nice D-day and Seelöwe invasions. Britain and France are both still able to cross through the Channel via those harbour cities. Other civs (like Germany) had first to conquer some of these cities to pass the Channel.

Now with the Flintlock mod and the land-sea intersections this can be handled much better. The same for convoy routes from the US and Canada (together with the deep sea harbor settings of the Quintillus editor):

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/storm-over-europe-soe.454785/page-12#post-16202320
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/storm-over-europe-soe.454785/page-12#post-16215757

Last edited:
I don't think the great guy would have been too happy that the other great guy's statue caused any smiles in Berlin.... :lol:
No need to fix I think, it just makes me smile :)
This is actually kind of driving me insane because I can't figure out why it's there.
1) Which .biq are you playing?
2) Have you captured Moscow? (This may be the issue as Red Square is not a wonder unique to the Soviets, but is preplaced in Moscow. If it's captured, that would place a Lenin statue in every city on the continent. Issue that needs to be fixed.)

Thanks a bunch for beta-testing for me! :lol:

Meteor Man, your adaption of the HOI techtree to Civ 3 is brilliant modding work! :hatsoff:

Since the early attempts of Cimbri, who did a fantastic work in the early time of Civ 3 when he created his WW2 scenario, we know about the wonderful fitting of the HOI graphics (at that time HOI 1) to the large and small icons of Civ 3, but until now nobody was able transform the HOI techtree to a useful Civ 3 techtree. I am sure, even the old SOE modders would have liked your great techtree adaption. :)
Thanks again for your kind words, Civinator. :)

May be gugu84 meant the invasion by land bridges covered with ruin graphics showing water, in SOE. I don´t know, if this is fitting well with the philosophy of a sandbox game. One thing is sure: With these settings bloody battles to invade Britain (or the Continent) are granted. The other side of the medal is, that these battles can happen "in the water", so may be only one tile for a land bridge would be working better as here always one part of the battle has a contact to the "shown" land terrain.
Indeed, I know about this solution. It's not something I have necessarily wanted to port from SOE.

On the other hand, something like that might be the only way to get the Allies to invade France, or vice versa. Original plan was to just have a 1944 start with the Allies already on the continent (Cherbourg & Caen, or just Cherbourg).

This is actually kind of driving me insane because I can't figure out why it's there.
1) Which .biq are you playing?
2) Have you captured Moscow? (This may be the issue as Red Square is not a wonder unique to the Soviets, but is preplaced in Moscow. If it's captured, that would place a Lenin statue in every city on the continent. Issue that needs to be fixed.)
1) Overlord Germany biq
2) Yes, it appeared in every city after capturing Moscow.

1) Overlord Germany biq
2) Yes, it appeared in every city after capturing Moscow.
Thank you! I know what the problem is and the fix will be included in the next update.

this unit seems to be immobile:

ARTL - Light Artillery

1696804723942.png

It has 1 movement point, but I wasn't able to move it anywhere...

ARTL - Light Artillery

View attachment 674753

I believe there are some pre-placed artillery units that are made immobile. If you produce that light artillery it should be mobile.

ARTL - Light Artillery

View attachment 674753

Yes, some arty units are pre-placed and immobile. The minor nations get some as they're usually controlled by AI players.

Top Bottom