• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

No. City states have no properties except type (maritime, cultural, militarist), name and personality.

[And maybe cultural group, for building art.]

Ah right. A few weeks ago it was rumoured that militaristic city states might have their own UUs. Shame they don't... perhaps something that can be added to the game later?

This was awesome. Thanks so much. I'll definitely be checking in tomorrow.

As for the Janissary UU, i'm assuming the +25% bonus when attacking is something inherent to all Musketmen or is it an added bonus to Janissaries? Any thoughts anyone?

from both the chart and the unit desriptions in the guide all i can see is that musketman have no abilities and Janissary's abilities are- "heal is destroy an enemy, combat bonus when attacking (25)"

Thanks for that coolhair and welcome to Civfanatics!!

6 years and 6 months between join date and first might be a record.

And I am very thankful that both my right hand and my first born are safe.

Here are the last 5 civilizations in the guide:

PERSIA
UU-Imoratal-replaces Spearman-costs 60 instead of 50, combat strength 8 instead of 7, heals at double rate.
UB-Statrap's Court-replaces Bank-adds +2 empire wides on top of all effects of bank
Benifit-Achaemenid Legacy-golden age lasts 50% longer,during golden age all of your unit receive +1 movement and +10% to their combat strength.

ROME
UU#1-Ballista-replaces Catapult- 18 ranged combat strength instead of 14.
UU#2-Legion-replaces Swordsman-costs 90 instead of 80,13 combat strength instead of 11.
Benifit-The Glory of Rome-cities constructing buildings that already exist in the capital get a 25% bonus to their production.

RUSSIA
UU-Cossak-replaces Calvary-Damaged enemy bonus "they do enhanced damage when attacking wounded enemies.
UB-Krepost-replaces Barracks-culture cost of aquiring new tile reduced by 50% in this city.
Benefit-Siberian Riches-strategic resources produce +1 in their tile, also horse, iron and uranium resourses provide double their normal quantity.

SIAM
UU-Naresuan's Elephant-replaces knight- 22 combat strenght instead of 18, 2 movement instead of 3, bonus vs. mounted units (50).
UB-Wat-replaces University-provides 3 culture, looks like it may negate the jungle bonus that university gives (keep an eye on this)
Benefit-Father Governs Children-city-states provide +50% more food or culture

SONGHAI
UU-Mandekalu Calvary-replaces Knight-bonus vs. city (30)
UB-Mud Pyramid Mosque-replaces Temple-costs no maintenance, provides 5 culture instead of 3.
Benifit-River Warlord-barbarian encampments and enemy cities provide triple their gold bonus when you seize them, your embarked units can also defend themselves.

there are the last 5, I will be back this afternoon to fill in some of the blanks from individual questions this afternoon of 9-16-2010. I hope the info provided so far will be enough to chew on till then, ENJOY!

Thanks!

Looks like Russia and Songhai got shafted on the unique unit department.

Sure, but Russia has a strong ability and building to make up for it. Songhai's ability is also pretty sweet, and their building gives a lot of culture.

hmm.. its not like you need a papermaker to make paper for the books that go into the library.. and its not like you need the library to hold value of a papermaker because otherwise the paper would be kind of useless. So i am very happy to see that in civ, you can have either a library or a papermaker :) Anyway.. back to topic:

+4gold/city wit0h the unique building. Thats quite nice in the beginning I guess, but I am not sure how much thats worth a view hunderd years later.. I suspect its neglectable from some point..

*Mother lode of good information*

Can you tell us all the Promotions and what they do? I can't believe people don't care about this, but I play strategy games like I play RPG :)

Also, what's the XP requirement progression for successive Promotions?

Longhouse still says:

Replaces: None

And there's nothing in the description or commentary about the Longhouse that suggests it replaces an existing building:
"These forests continue to improve throughout the game, as Lumber Mills and later technologies add even more Production to them..."

Well what is its cost/tech requirements.

The 'transport" question was asking how fast embarked units moved.

Does the Aztec special ability work vs. barbs? If so their UU is perfect for pressing on for early culture/policies. I like the building, too.

Doesn't say if the Benifit "Sacrificial Captives" uncludes barbarians but I suspect that it does because the amount of culture gained from killing enemy units scales with the combat strength of the victims. So much more culture is gained from this by war later in the game!

hmm.. its not like you need a papermaker to make paper for the books that go into the library.. and its not like you need the library to hold value of a papermaker because otherwise the paper would be kind of useless...

Probably has something to do with the fact that China was the first with paper money:

"While the rest of the world was happily trading in coins that had an actual value in silver or gold, why did the Chinese risk the use of paper? This particular surviving note is made on mulberry bark, is much bigger than the notes of today and is dated 1375. The Governor of the Bank of England, Mervyn King, and the historian Timothy Brook look back over the history of paper money and what it takes to make it work."

Check out my signature - you guys will like the podcasts. Totally relevant to a lot of our discussions.

Yeah, we shouldn't take this as gospel, the proof of the book probably had to go to printers *months* ago, whereas the final Gold version of the game was probably only a few weeks ago.

It seems entirely likely that minutemen still have their friendly territory bonus, for example.

Regarding Promotions:

How to Gain Experience:
Attack as a melee unit +5xp
Defend against a melee Unit +4xp
Attack as a ranged unit +2xp
Be attacked by a ranged unit +2xp
Be trained in a city with Barracks/Armory/Milt Academy +15xp/+15xp/+15xp

So it doesn't matter how successful you are in the attack? Or the relative strength of the two units? Seems weird that a knight would get as much exp from rounding off a few archers as it would from charging down a samurai.

How much EXP is needed for promotions? More importantly does it go up regularly or does it increase faster and faster as you gain more promotions (Civ4 style).

Top Bottom