A Guide to Playing “Small” on Deity (feat. Piety)

Taking a quick look at the code, it appears that this 3 point bonus is multiplied by the so-called "DiploEmphasisReligion" variable, which depends on the era:

Era​
DiploEmphasisReligion​
Ancient0
Classical2
Medieval5
Renaissance5
Industrial2
Modern+0

So the AIs care about religion the most in Medieval and Renaissance eras. Diplo penalties for converting their cities also get multiplied by this emphasis value. I believe "game era" is used, same as for World Congress and UN.

Last edited:
Taking a quick look at the code, it appears that this 3 point bonus is multiplied by the so-called "DiploEmphasisReligion" variable, which depends on the era:
Interesting. I've never looked at the code myself, only relied on other peoples' work.

If I understand you correctly, these numbers from Carl are essentially wrong, as some of the modifiers he gives are actually multiplied by a variable he doesn't discuss? Honestly, it would make more sense, as 3 points for shared religion is kind of shockingly low, and the modifier does appear in bright green.

If it's 15 instead of 3, that's not nothing. Assuming the rest of Carl's numbers are correct, that's as significant as befriending the same civs... certainly worth paying attention to. Subjectively, it's still hard for me to believe small piety is ever an optimal game plan, but I shouldn't claim it's just a misunderstanding of the game mechanics.

Last edited:
Anyone up for rolling a map and trying it out?

I am particularly interested in consentient’s take on this guide given how starkly its strategy differs from his guide.

Is there a civilization that you would rate low for war that would be significantly better at executing a small piety Diplo game?

Last edited:
I only play with Hellblazer maps, and they usually give Celts a start from which getting 1st or 2nd religion is practically guaranteed

I only play with Hellblazer maps, and they usually give Celts a start from which getting 1st or 2nd religion is practically guaranteed
Your msg reminded me that I have the Hellblazer maps installed but I haven't played them in a long time (I forgot about them) I started a game today, and for some reason there are no luxuries anywhere, and (I haven't quite uncovered the whole map yet) there don't seem to be any city states and no natural wonders. There's supposed to be 16 CSs, and I'm pretty sure I had resources set to "standard". Does that mean it crashed during setup or something, and Civ just ran with the incomplete map?

It has been an interesting game so far, but it makes Forbidden Palace way overpowered; at least the one who built it wasn't the first leader of the world congress (I'm the leader, which is hard to believe because I found the other continent and greeted everyone with a scout rather than a caravel because no coastal cities)

Uninstall, reinstall latest version, and make sure of settings in 'Advanced Setup'

Top Bottom