Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

Regarding Promotions:

How to Gain Experience:
Attack as a melee unit +5xp
Defend against a melee Unit +4xp
Attack as a ranged unit +2xp
Be attacked by a ranged unit +2xp
Be trained in a city with Barracks/Armory/Milt Academy +15xp/+15xp/+15xp

Wow, so experience points are super-cheap!

Also, could you explain all the Promotions? I know it's a lot, but that's my favorite part of the game :)

So it doesn't matter how successful you are in the attack?
How much EXP is needed for promotions? More importantly does it go up regularly or does it increase faster and faster as you gain more promotions (Civ4 style).

The guide didn't address this in the promotions section I pulled the previous info from.

Hmmmm.... I wonder what happens if multiple Civs achieve this? Will it stack? Are those who already have United Front immune to its effects when someone else gets it?

Someone (in this thread or another) suggested that, like Emancipation in cIV, the penalty will only apply to Civs not running that particular social policy. I've seen nothing confirmed one way or another, but this seems the most logical

Longhouse

Cost: 80 Production
Maintenance: 1
Culture: None
Comment: +1 Production from each worked Forest tile.
Replaces: None
Prerequisite Technology: Metal Casting
Becomes Obsolete: N/A

What are the stats for the "lumber mill" city improvement. (Per previous info it is now a building?) Perhaps this is a copy that stacks with it.

I'm really not liking this "replaces: none" for UB.

I'm a fan of not thinking too much into things til actually seeing them in play.

For ex, in most screenshots/vids of late game, there aren't many forests - chop chop as usual. And for the longhouse, the bonus applies only to worked forest tiles - so you'll either have to keep forests around or have them and be working them to get the bonus.

I'm seriously doubting the chinese will get two buildings with library effects.

As someone else said, the books would've been written a while ago and could have some incorrect info - it's bound to happen. Not to mention there could just flat out be some errors.

My GameStops won't have the guide til tomorrow and one said supply will be short (they're getting ONE copy). So thanks to those with it who are sharing info!

What are the stats for the "lumber mill" city improvement. (Per previous info it is now a building?) Perhaps this is a copy that stacks with it.

Lumber Mill is still an improvement.
+1 production on forrest
Prerequisite: Engineering

I am very interested in the happiness system.

How many :) you get per difficulty level
How many :) will be provided by natural wonders

Baseline happiness is 15 at Chieftan and tiers down to 9 at Diety, so each increase in difficulty looks like it drop 1 baseline happiness per increase (7 difficulty settings in all)

The game guide doesn't really list the amount of happiness in any table i have seen but in Gameplay Concepts it show a screen cap that declares +1 happiness empire wide for a natural wonder found, i will update you when i read about having one worked next to a city and those benifits

Workshop and Forge come with metal casting and (presumably) boost production. Maybe the longhouse replaces one of them and the benefits written stack with that?

An error in the guide seems far more likely that firaxis making such a strange exception to the way UBs work.

From the Strat Guide:
"Paper Makers are a unique Chinese version of the Library"

That's disappointing. Paper Maker goes from being very powerful (to offset the poor UA) to being not-all-that-interesting.

Also, the ability to create paper/paper-like products was very big historically. Alexandria became the world's foremost city for science and culture during the Ptolemaic period primarily because they were able to achieve a monopoly on papyrus.

Wait so do minutemen get their bonus everywhere or just within their own empire?

THAT is a very good question, a very powerful trait indeed to have ALL tiles only cost one movement even in enemy territory. From reading the guide the best i can figure is that they DO get this bonus even in enemy territory but do not get the benifit of roads in enemy territory.

That's disappointing. Paper Maker goes from being very powerful (to offset the poor UA) to being not-all-that-interesting.

Also, the ability to create paper/paper-like products was very big historically. Alexandria became the world's foremost city for science and culture during the Ptolemaic period primarily because they were able to achieve a monopoly on papyrus.

It's a maintenance-free (actually, negative maintenance) library; I don't see how this is bad at all. If you build a Paper Maker as soon as you research Writing, it'll generate thousands of gold over the course of the game. You can do far worse than this.

Geometrically or arithmetically?

Ie, does it go: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 ect...
or 30, 40, 53, 67, 89, ect...

Top Bottom