How about adding Italy as a playable Civilization

Well by now it's pretty much sure that there won't be any Italian CS. however as an Italian I would be outraged if it will be added Italy as an alternate leader of Rome, culturally we aren't the same anymore and the legion as a unique unit would just don't make any sense. But noticing that all the Roman spies that I saw in gameplay videos have Italian names just makes me think that's the path firaxis has chosen.

Oh god I hope not!

There could easily be the Lombards, or even the Tuscans. Duchess Matilda anyone? Successfully defended the Papacy from the Holy Roman Emperor despite being a young, female ruler.

Lucrezia Borgia, anyone? ;)

I actually really like the idea of emulating Greece with the different leaders representing different aspects of the civ.

So many good choices too! The Medicis, the Borgias, Dandolo, Garibaldi...

I would actually prefer to have Venice again (but NOT as a super-city state). And to have another Italian civ, like Florence.

I would actually prefer to have Venice again (but NOT as a super-city state). And to have another Italian civ, like Florence.

With multiple leaders having one Italian civ with different leaders to represent different aspects is better IMHO, you get Italy and Italian city states but you still leave enough space for other civs instead of spamming several Italian civs.

There could be a few Italian civs:

•Florence under a Medici (focus on culture)
•Florence under Savonarola (focus on religion)
•Venice under Dandolo (focus on economy)
•Italy under Garibaldi (focus on military expansion)

No Mussolini though. Rome could show up though.

I personally feel like the civilizations are supposed to represent modern nation-states, rather than historical dynasties. To me, Italy is the continuation of the Roman Empire, or at least, as close to a continuation as one would get.

One possible compromise, is to simply rename Roman Empire to Italy; that way, we also have a representation consistency, i.e. its profile matches the one we have with e.g. Germany, China, India etc.
Well Role play wise - do you fjellner Italian when Rome enters the renaissans? I don't.

In earlier itarations of civ it felt civs represented the cultural nation in a broad way. Germany represented Germanic cultures if alla sorts. Vikings all of Scandinavia. Russia .- all slavic nations. Now since beyond the sword civs feel more nation statish.

I love to se an Italy that always spawns around att least 6 Italian citystates. It can't build new cities but you can buy them with envoys or conquer a lot easier than other civs. This way you get an early game with a scattered Italy and its upp to you to unify. Å bit like civ vi germany traits but a lot more based on trade and diplomacy.

Last edited:

just wanted to bring back this wonderful idea for the icon from the civ 5 discussions of 2013. the mural crown could be perfect to represent italy as a whole and its city state heritage, it is a symbol that truly characterises the italian communal period.

I just realized after the fact that this thread started along time ago. Anyway I think with the idea of alternate leaders this is the perfect time to put in Italy as a civ. Rome obviously couldn't go on the list of city names but that doesn't mean Florence led by a Medici or Venice, Genoa, Milan etc. couldn't be represented even by different leaders as the capital as with the case of Gorgo and Pericles. And if we have the HRE representing all of Germany and the Majapahit representing all of Indonesia, why couldn't Italy be represented with the different city states up to unification and present day.

In general, I think it would be interesting if there was an entirely new mechanic added for this. I think it would be cool if a mod allowed some civs to turn into other civs under certain requirements. Obviously Rome is not the same as Italy, but there is a sort-of continuum from it. Imagine this: you're playing as Rome and maybe things aren't going so well for you. You've tried your best but the amenities are dropping and your people are unhappy and then - oh no! A barbarian horde approaches! What do you do? You can choose to fight, in which case a ton of barbarians appear with camps nearby. They'll have siege weapons and you may lose your cities. But what if you don't want to do that? You surrender to them. Many of the buildings in your cities are pillaged, along with the tiles. Your state enters anarchy for 10 turns and when it's over... You're no longer Rome. You can't build legions at all. In fact, you have a totally new UU and UA. You're now [Medieval] Italy, which perhaps gets a free envoy in every city state within 8 tiles of any city centre you own (only once per city state), as well as +1 artist points of relevant types for theatre square buildings and +1 culture for every 2 envoys sent to a city state when you create a trade route with that city state. Something like that.

If as Rome you manage to Conquer Egypt and Greece, a separate event can take place where your Egyptian and Greek cities split into Byzantium or something.

For other civs there could be different requirements to meet (not just barbarian hordes). The HRE could form Germany, England could form the UK, etc.

Birthplace of Renaissance DLC with 2-3 Italian city states would be sweet, would cost lot of resources to make though..

Venice + Florence + Genoa, along with a cool scenario.

This.

I wouldn't like a modern Italy civ (19th century), but three renaissance Italian civs would be much better. They wouldn't have to be city states however (they were that not in fact), but you should however be encouraged to play tall.

Italy
Leader: Niccolò Machiavelli

Leader Ability: Il Principe
  • Whenever Italian traders, delegations, or spies collect gossip, Italy receives Influence points towards Envoys
Civilization Ability: Italian City-States
  • Each city which Italy can found belongs to one of the six city-state types (cultural, industrial, military, religious, scientific, and trade) and has a specific suzerain bonus attached. By sending Envoys to its own cities, Italy can receive the type and suzerain bonuses.
  • No other civilization may send Envoys to Italian city-states.
  • When settling a city, Italy selects which specific Italian city-state to found, including its capital.
Examples:

Vatican City (Religious)
1 Envoy: +2 Faith in Capital
3 Envoys: +2 Faith in in every Holy Site
6 Envoys: +2 additional Faith per Holy Site
Suzerain Bonus: Automatically receive Papal-Primacy (type bonuses from non-Italian City-States following your Religion are 50% more powerful)

Venice (Trade)
1 Envoy: +4 Gold in Capital
3 Envoys: +4 Gold in every Commercial Hub
6 Envoys: +4 additional Gold per Commercial Hub
Suzerain Bonus: Overseas trade routes generate Great Merchant points for Italy​

Unique Unit: Condottieri
  • Unlocked via Exploration. Renaissance Era melee unit.
  • Cannot be built, only leveraged (very cheaply) for 20 turns. Some funds refunded if the unit dies early.
  • Gains Influence on kills.
Unique Building: Palazzo
  • Replaces the Palace.
  • Generates +1 Influence point per turn (in addition to the usual Palace yields)
  • Provides additional adjacency bonus to any adjacent district (e.g. additional Science to a Campus sandwiched between the Palazzo and Mountains).
Agenda: Machiavellian
Likes Civilizations who have reneged on their promises or back-stabbed anyone but himself. Dislikes Civilizations who refuse his delegates or foil his spies.

So any hints Italy will be included in the next expansion?

The only real issue between having both Rome and Italy is the capital name, but you can amend that by either renaming Rome's to "Roma" or to change Italy's to "Turin" (which is historically valid). I like the idea of having both in, they're culturally and historically different enough to make it work. :)

The only real issue between having both Rome and Italy is the capital name, but you can amend that by either renaming Rome's to "Roma" or to change Italy's to "Turin" (which is historically valid). I like the idea of having both in, they're culturally and historically different enough to make it work. :)
Italy can easily have a Medici who led from Florence. Turin, Genoa, Milan or Venice would work as well depending on the leader without even using Rome in the list of cities.

So no Italy this time around, I guess there is still high chance of them showing up in the next expansion, we have no italian city among the city states to date, Genoa was spotted in game files ages ago and generally it is about time Italy makes it into the game. Do you guys figure it will take a DLC or an Expansion?

Top Bottom