Random Rants ': No, YOUR thread titles suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rainy season is back in Seattle and naturally no one knows how to drive in the rain! They'll regularly go 10-20 miles below the speed limit when it's perfectly fine to go as fast as normal!

Then it occurred to me! I'm a Seattle person who's capable of driving the speed limit in the rain. Then it occurred to me that the Seattle area has been experience a population boom from other states who bring their driving habits here. But it rains on the East Coast and Midwest which left only one region left.

THAT'S RIGHT, THE CALIFORNIANS

It's bad enough they move up here and drive rents and property taxes high, but because Californian's don't have rain, they can't drive for jack! Rain falls from the sky and they go into a panic! It's not that Seattleites don't know how to drive in the rain, it's all the damn Californian's who've never seen rain before budging up traffic!
Bull. It's raining here and everyone's speeding up to get out of the rain faster.

Rainy season is back in Seattle and naturally no one knows how to drive in the rain! They'll regularly go 10-20 miles below the speed limit when it's perfectly fine to go as fast as normal!

Then it occurred to me! I'm a Seattle person who's capable of driving the speed limit in the rain. Then it occurred to me that the Seattle area has been experience a population boom from other states who bring their driving habits here. But it rains on the East Coast and Midwest which left only one region left.

THAT'S RIGHT, THE CALIFORNIANS

It's bad enough they move up here and drive rents and property taxes high, but because Californian's don't have rain, they can't drive for jack! Rain falls from the sky and they go into a panic! It's not that Seattleites don't know how to drive in the rain, it's all the damn Californian's who've never seen rain before budging up traffic!

Honestly, I just think it's because of the road layout in Seattle. The roads are abnormally thin and the steep hills and tight turns everywhere are an absolute nightmare. It doesn't help that half of the major commerce roadways are designed to have blind spots so you almost get hit by someone any time you leave a parking lot.

*censored* browser crash ate my first reply... :mad:

I'm in Canada, it gets pretty cold! A blanket during the winter is not enough. I need a warm duvet with a blanket overtop.
Is it generally really cold in the winter where you are? My windows all face southwest, so I get lots of sunlight during the day and it does tend to warm the place up. Plus, Red Deer is close enough to the Rockies to get some benefit from the occasional chinooks during the winter.

You might want to consider adopting a cat or dog. Honestly, they really are the equivalent of a nice warm blanket when they snuggle up with a person. :D

I would like to have my duvet/comforter cover match the style and colour of the bedsheets. Ideally it would be all in one set or from the same company at least, same brand, etc. so that everything matches. If I go out to a store, they likely won't have whatever brand and style I'm looking up online as their selection will probably be limited by whichever brands they carry.
You could always ask if they'll special order it for you, if their website has things that aren't in the store, or if they have it at another branch.

Take a look at this photo:

Spoiler :

The comforter cover matches the pillows and the rest of the bedsheets. That's what I'm after because that's what makes sense to me. I only ever sleep under blankets if I'm staying at a friend's place and I have to sleep on a couch and all he has is blankets. If I'm in a real bed, I'm always under a comforter that's in a cover that matches the rest of the bed sheets. That's what I want for my bedroom, it's what I'm used to.
It's nice to look at, but I honestly can't see myself using anything like that. Maybe in the drafty house I used to live in (the windows weren't installed properly and the bedrooms upstairs were frigid during the winter), but where I am now I'd never need such a heavy thing. The key to comfort that I was always taught is to have different thicknesses of blanket so you can add or take away until you're comfortable.

If I'm not sleeping and my bed is made, I don't want a blanket to be on top that doesn't match the rest of the bedsheets. I mean, it doesn't really matter, but I want a complete set that all matches. The blanket I use during cold nights to throw overtop everything gets put aside when I wake up. I want everything else other than that to match. It's fine if the pillows and the sheet I sleep on (that's on top of the mattress - fitting sheet?) are white or a different colour - as long as the whole complete set - including the duvet/comforter cover were all designed to be all a part of the same matching set, so that it doesn't look out of place whether you're in bed or not.

The bedsheet set I initially linked was all the same colour - beige. The flat sheet, fitted sheet, and bed sheets were all the same. So, the cover I use for my duvet/comforter, I want that to be the exact same design and colour. Wouldn't it be weird if it was different? I don't understand all of this confusion at all. (It's not your fault, I blame the north american bedding conspiracy lizard people or whoever they are)
To each their own, I guess. For me, it's nice if things match - sorta - but function is more important than appearance. I remember when I was in high school and my mother threw a fit because none of my bedroom furniture matched. She really made my grandmother feel guilty that they couldn't afford to buy me a matching bedroom suite, and I told my grandmother not to worry - I was quite happy with my eclectic collection of mismatched things - plain bed, antique dressers, mismatched shelves (just about every shade of brown you can imagine, plus one sky-blue one; I still have most of all that, including the blue one).

As for bedding and blankets, it's the same. Function over appearance, although I do have a few matching sheet/pillowcase sets, with the happy coincidence of managing to find a couple of green and white fleece blankets that go nicely with the solid light green sheet set and the white/green/brown set. I usually just mix and match these sets, since they go together nicely, no matter what combination I happen to grab. For contrasting colors I've got a nice coral pink blanket, a dark brown blanket, a collection of my grandmother's knitted/crocheted afghans (in more colors than I can name), plus a comfy fleece TARDIS blanket I bought from ThinkGeek (they have bedding sets in Doctor Who and Star Trek themes, plus a few others; the latest blanket I bought there has the Periodic Table of Elements on it).

I guess I'm just trying to have as many of my favorite colors around as I can, since I'm not allowed to paint the depressing beige walls in this place (would prefer a nice cheerful light green).

See, I don't get why everybody else wouldn't do this either. Aren't most people interested in having everything on their bed match? Judging by the responses in this thread I guess not, but I don't really get it
Some people like complimentary colors and contrasts.

If I had white sheets I would expect the duvet cover to stay in place in its purple/brown/red/whatever glory while the white sheets and pillow cases get replaced every once in a while. In this scenario the colours don't match, but that's ok, because white goes with most colors really.

But the set I linked earlier had coloured sheets. So you'd think that your duvet cover would want to match that - since it's not white. Right? Wouldn't it look odd if you're sleeping on blue sheets, your pillows are blue, but your duvet cover is burgundy? If the sheets are white a burgundy duvet cover works, but if they're not white..
Blue sheets, blue pillows and a burgundy duvet cover would work if you also had a small decorative burgundy throw pillow for the bed, or a little bit of blue mixed in with the burgundy (like a stripe motif, for instance). But when you make your bed, do you normally leave the sheets showing?

I have a feeling that if i show up to a bedsheet/duvet speciality place, and I tell them all this, they are going to look at me like I came from another planet, like most of you guys. Plus from my experience prices at places like that are going to be a lot more than on amazon.ca

But it's not a bad idea, just to get some advice, I am going to look some up
It never hurts to shop in person and talk to people about it. You might find something you like that you wouldn't have considered, just looking online. I found one of my favorite blankets in the bargain bin at Jysk.

What? The duvet is the warm bulky thing, often measured in togs, usually with its own colourful cover, that lies on top of your bed. I use it with a top sheet and a fitted under sheet, but you can be lazy and do without the top sheet.

The top sheet and pillows should match, but the under sheet and duvet case only need to be in complimentary colours.

If my bedsheets were white (pillowcases & fitting sheet) then yeah, the duvet cover can be any colour it likes. But when the pillowcases and fitting sheet are purple, the duvet cover better be purple too.

The bedsheet set I found on amazon wasn't white.. Well, there is a white version but it costs 5 times as much. But as a result I also now need a matching duvet cover.

I really needed to check now what a top sheet is...because apparently we don't have it here (says wikipedia).
Weird concept ^^.

I know, I don't understand the need for the top sheet at all. When I used to check into hotels I would throw it right on the ground. But I've gotten used to it now, and I like how they tuck it in under everything so the monsters can't get you.

At home I wouldn't use a top sheet at all, it seems pointless.

Is it generally really cold in the winter where you are?

Yeah, in January & February there are usually long stretches where it's -20 and lower, plus windchill. Every once in a while the temperature will hit -30 or worse. Plus all that snow from the great lakes makes things look even colder.

Maybe we're talking about different types of blankets, btw. The ones I'm picturing are sort of rough. I guess I see the need for a top sheet if you don't have a blanket/duvet cover and it's just a blanket overtop. But I grew up in a place where you just have a fitted sheet, a duvet/comforter/blanket in a cover, and pillows. So having a cover over you without it being in a cover seems super ghetto to me

Last edited:
Maybe we're talking about different types of blankets, btw. The ones I'm picturing are sort of rough. I guess I see the need for a top sheet if you don't have a blanket/duvet cover and it's just a blanket overtop. But I grew up in a place where you just have a fitted sheet, a duvet/comforter/blanket in a cover, and pillows. So having a cover over you without it being in a cover seems super ghetto to me

The duvet is a different kind of blanket than, well, a "blanket". They stain easily and they're not meant to be used without a cover. Their purpose is to let you wash your blankets without needing to wash the entire thing; you take the duvet out, wash the cover, and it'll be dry in an hour as opposed to needing to run the whole thing on high heat for hours.

I grew up with blankets instead of duvets. Blankets are fine if you have plenty and you have a dryer. But if you don't meet either of those criteria, a duvet is a real lifesaver. I'd need three fairly thick blankets during the winter when I grew up. With a duvet, I often overheat with just that on top of me. World of difference, IMO.

The duvet is a different kind of blanket than, well, a "blanket". They stain easily and they're not meant to be used without a cover. Their purpose is to let you wash your blankets without needing to wash the entire thing; you take the duvet out, wash the cover, and it'll be dry in an hour as opposed to needing to run the whole thing on high heat for hours.

I grew up with blankets instead of duvets. Blankets are fine if you have plenty and you have a dryer. But if you don't meet either of those criteria, a duvet is a real lifesaver. I'd need three fairly thick blankets during the winter when I grew up. With a duvet, I often overheat with just that on top of me. World of difference, IMO.

Blankets wouldn't work for me, but maybe I'm picturing the wrong kind of blanket.
Spoiler :

The texture is all wrong, I need to sleep under something that has the same feel as a bedsheet. You know, silky smooth, not rough and grainy. That's why sleeping under a blanket seems "ghetto" to me. When I was young the only time you'd end up under a blanket was if you were visiting Uncle whoever and he said: "Sorry we don't have proper bedsheets, you're going to have to sleep under this blanket". All the bedsheets (that you slept under) that people ever used had feathers in them (or a feather-like substitute) and a cover. That was the civilized way to sleep. Blankets seem so uncivilized, but it's probably just all in my head due to my upbringing and cultural differences.

Blankets wouldn't work for me, but maybe I'm picturing the wrong kind of blanket.
Spoiler :

The texture is all wrong, I need to sleep under something that has the same feel as a bedsheet. You know, silky smooth, not rough and grainy. That's why sleeping under a blanket seems "ghetto" to me. When I was young the only time you'd end up under a blanket was if you were visiting Uncle whoever and he said: "Sorry we don't have proper bedsheets, you're going to have to sleep under this blanket"

I had the same problem when googling. I wanted to provide a comparison picture but all the results for blankets were those soft blankets. The blankets I grew up with were basically duvets except you couldn't take off the cover and the innards were fluff instead of neatly partitioned insulation. Those soft blankets are nice for while you're chilling on a couch but pretty poor for an actual sleeping experience, in my opinion.

so, comforters?

Also, those soft blankets can be very large and very thick and provide a great sleeping experience if you get the right size.

edit: I misunderstood they won't work at all if it's a texture problem.

Last edited:
I know, I don't understand the need for the top sheet at all. When I used to check into hotels I would throw it right on the ground. But I've gotten used to it now, and I like how they tuck it in under everything so the monsters can't get you.

At home I wouldn't use a top sheet at all, it seems pointless.
Just to be clear, a "top sheet" is the flat sheet? So in a hotel, you would basically strip the bed down to the fitted sheet, throw the flat sheet on the floor, and sleep under the bedspread? :confused:

Other way around, with me. I usually found the bedspread too hot (the only time I ever stayed in hotels was either in the middle of summer or on Thanksgiving weekend - neither of them cold enough to need a bedspread, particularly if the hotel in question was in Calgary). There was one weekend when a bunch of us had a huge room at the Palliser in Calgary for a Thanksgiving weekend SF convention. A friend of one of my roommates had had a bit much to drink, so to avoid him driving home or trying to find a cab after midnight, we just stripped the beds of the bedspreads, let him use the extra pillows, and he made himself a nice bed on the floor in the closet (walk-in kind; as mentioned, we splurged on a corner suite that year).

Yeah, in January & February there are usually long stretches where it's -20 and lower, plus windchill. Every once in a while the temperature will hit -30 or worse. Plus all that snow from the great lakes makes things look even colder.
Ah, okay. Someone I know from another site has mentioned that it can get really cold living near the Great Lakes. We have a couple of lakes here, but they're the size of ponds and tucked away in the Gaetz Lakes Wildlife Sanctuary. I'd be surprised if most of the city even realizes they're there. I'm two days' drive from the nearest ocean, so we don't have that problem. What is nice is that we're close enough to the Rockies to get part of the Chinook effect in winter - a nice break every so often when it warms up for a few days. In Calgary it can go from freezing to shirtsleeve weather in an hour (scared the hell out of Leonardo diCaprio awhile back when he was filming a movie near there - he panicked and thought he was seeing global warming happening live! :lol:).

But what if it's not warm enough to need that, but cool enough that no cover at all would be too cold? Is the temperature uniform all night there?

Winters used to be worth calling winters in this region. I've got photos of the acreage where I grew up, with some really deep snowdrifts. I bought new winter boots a few years ago, and haven't used them yet.

Spoiler :

The texture is all wrong, I need to sleep under something that has the same feel as a bedsheet. You know, silky smooth, not rough and grainy. That's why sleeping under a blanket seems "ghetto" to me. When I was young the only time you'd end up under a blanket was if you were visiting Uncle whoever and he said: "Sorry we don't have proper bedsheets, you're going to have to sleep under this blanket". All the bedsheets (that you slept under) that people ever used had feathers in them (or a feather-like substitute) and a cover. That was the civilized way to sleep. Blankets seem so uncivilized, but it's probably just all in my head due to my upbringing and cultural differences.
That looks like the kind of fleece blanket I use. They're not scratchy or rough, at least to my senses. I've got fibromyalgia, which means (among other things) my sense of touch doesn't work right at times; some things that are perfectly smooth to other people feel rough to me. It's why I sometimes find it painful to pet my own cats. :(

The nice thing about these blankets is that they're comfortable and warm, but not too warm, and when I'm warm enough, it's easy enough to push them aside. They're easy to wash and don't take a lot of room to store.

Just to be clear, a "top sheet" is the flat sheet? So in a hotel, you would basically strip the bed down to the fitted sheet, throw the flat sheet on the floor, and sleep under the bedspread? :confused:

Yeah, sorry, flat sheet. The thing people put under the duvet.

In a hotel I would throw everything to the ground except for 1 pillow and the duvet/comforter. I would leave the fitted sheet on the mattress. So my bed would have a pillow and something to cover myself with and the ground would have 15 pillows and a bunch of flat sheets (for whatever reasons hotels go way overboard with all the sheets and all the pillows)

But what if it's not warm enough to need that, but cool enough that no cover at all would be too cold? Is the temperature uniform all night there?

In the summer the AC is on and I get rid of the blanket lying on top of the duvet. That's usually perfect.

The purpose of the flat sheet is to go between you and any blankets. This is both for comfort, and to lessen any soiling of the blankets, so that they don't often need to be washed.

In the middle of the winter I have sheets on, 2 regular blankets, which are on the thin side but offer some warmth, a wool blanket, which was expensive when I got it, but worth it, which goes between those, and so stays pretty clean, and then a comforter or quilt over the top of everything. This is quite a weight of blankets, but is also pretty damned warm. And only the sheets need semi-frequent washing.

The purpose of the flat sheet is to go between you and any blankets. This is both for comfort, and to lessen any soiling of the blankets, so that they don't often need to be washed.

Yeah, seems that if my comforter has a cover, the flat sheet is useless. But for some reason hotels always include both, I suppose in an effort to appear fancy.

Possibly they want you to have your bedding configuration of choice so that you are as comfortable as possible.

The Austrian hotel I'm in currently has just the bottom sheet and the duvet, but they seem to change the duvet daily, which must be one hell of a lot of washing, given as there's at least eight floors here.

Possibly they want you to have your bedding configuration of choice so that you are as comfortable as possible.

Hmm I haven't considered that. The intentions are good, but the first time I saw a hotel bed, I just got overwhelmed with all the layers. And pillows. Of different sizes and textures. And the tucked in sheets made it annoying to change the bed to my usual configuration.

Eventually I just went with "Maybe I should just trust that they know what they're doing" and slid into bed under the tucked in sheet and went with it. And, yeah, I get it, being tucked in can feel pretty awesome. So I've embraced that hotel experience. Except for all the pillows, there's always way too many, it's like an inside joke and all the hotel staff are laughing about it at the christmas party. "We put 3 times as many pillows as you're supposed to put on his bed, it was hilarious"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom