What Video Games Have You Been Playing #16: Retirement Party For The Active Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Path of Exile: I decided to try Ye Olde Arc Elementalist, since I hadn't before, and hoo-boy is she fragile. She's much more prone to getting killed than my Raging Spirit Necromancer was, and I've actually put more effort into bolstering her defenses. I've never bothered to look into the aggro mechanics of this game, but I suspect that because Raging Spirits are technically minions, they don't draw fire on the caster, but that Arc does (they also wouldn't send Reflected damage back to the caster, come to think of it). Raging Spirits - again, being minions - also have a longer effective range because they have their own detection radius. Arc cuts through crowds of goobers like a hot knife through butter, but so what, everything does that. When she comes up against a boss, my Elementalist gets killed repeatedly. I'm thinking about putting my Arc spell in a support totem, switching to an Evasion/Energy Shield set of equipment (which would require improving her Dexterity, something else my Necromancer never needed to do). The Elementalist is also a disaster in the Delve mines, but so was the Necromancer - that may just be part of playing a minion build.

I set aside some mods for Surviving Mars for when I start a new game. QoL stuff that'll reduce the hassle, things that were added to the game that seem to only add inconvenience. Hotkeys for the resupply screen so you don't have to spam-click, removing the collaboration loss penalty (why does this even exist?), and... and... There was a third... Ah, yes, a radio station. I haven't used any of them except the one that plays by default, but I figure I'll shake things up next game and try the other defaults and the one I've favourited.

I know they're called mysteries for a reason, but it's a little agitating that there's really no way to determine what course of action is best when dealing with them. You get a choice, yes, but at no point can you make an informed or educated choice. You're just rolling the dice and hoping you picked the right path. I completed one mystery and in this game another triggered, and it seems to be just as sparse on information as the last.

That isn't necessarily horrible, but when mysteries have the power of instantly ending your game it seems prudent to give the player some option of predicting results beyond simply googling the answer and spoiling the whole thing.

I might get some building mods, things that increase production or storage, but I haven't really ran into any issues on that front yet. The mining wonder, in particular, is OP by itself, so there's no real reason to download a mega metal extractor mod. I could see some point in mega MOXIEs and mega vaporators, maybe, but again, I haven't really ran into any problems.

What I would be interested in is something that automatically load balances drone hubs. Shipping drones in from Earth is quick and cheap, but their automatic dispersal is a bit crap. I'll have some drone hubs with 50 drones and then all the rest have the minimum 6. Manually reassigning them is, of course, possible, but I'd prefer some sort of auto equalization. There are mods that do load balancing, but it seems dynamic, which isn't really what I want. Just across-the-board equalization.

Path of Exile: I decided to try Ye Olde Arc Elementalist, since I hadn't before, and hoo-boy is she fragile. She's much more prone to getting killed than my Raging Spirit Necromancer was, and I've actually put more effort into bolstering her defenses. I've never bothered to look into the aggro mechanics of this game, but I suspect that because Raging Spirits are technically minions, they don't draw fire on the caster, but that Arc does (they also wouldn't send Reflected damage back to the caster, come to think of it). Raging Spirits - again, being minions - also have a longer effective range because they have their own detection radius. Arc cuts through crowds of goobers like a hot knife through butter, but so what, everything does that. When she comes up against a boss, my Elementalist gets killed repeatedly. I'm thinking about putting my Arc spell in a support totem, switching to an Evasion/Energy Shield set of equipment (which would require improving her Dexterity, something else my Necromancer never needed to do). The Elementalist is also a disaster in the Delve mines, but so was the Necromancer - that may just be part of playing a minion build.

Are there servers? im waiting for my friend to msg me on discord to play PoE together, but seems like he is so into PoE he has forgotten to check discord for 3 days.

We could play together

Aaaaaargh survived two votes in Civ3. Dangnabbed Mongols, 4-3 and then 2-3 inconclusive (out of 10 civs). At least I have ⅜ of the Spaceship done, a solid tech lead (mostly because all the AIs are at war with each other and I've just conquered Germany and Zululand in my continent's backyard so a) nobody else was able to conquer anything except coastal beachheads and b) I secured my own sources of Uranium, Oil and Aluminum, for which previously I had to keep giving backwards Ais techs and keeping them within range in the tech race.

Now everybody else is at war as part of either of two coalitions and I'm happily building up culture and spaceship parts. And it's 2005 and I'm ahead in the score tally. ^_^

That's epic, the mage look like a total gangsta with her faithful buddy. It will be awesome also to make an Argonian hand to hand-light or no armor character with undead mamoth companion, just go full tarzan/ice age mode, set lowest intelligence, charisma and wisdom, but highest strength, dex and cons (dang I forgot how is the skyrim traits system), solving all the problem with pure violence lol, this really make me want to revisit skyrim.

there are no attributes in skyrim, lol. just health, magicka and stamina. no strength, dex, intelligence, nothing. also, no acrobatics, but that was a skill, not an attribute iirc.

Last edited:
Now you've said that, I always like Morrowind Khajit more than the other, it looks more cat, the nicest (in comparison to most hostile, jerkish inlander) and unforgettable Morrowind Khajit npc for me is Sugar-lips Habasi from Ballmora Southwall tavern thief guild. She look less humanoid and more like a cat, humanoid really put me off.

That's one of my favorite NPCs in any game, ever!

there are no attributes in skyrim, lol. just health, magicka and stamina. no strength, dex, intelligence, nothing. also, no acrobatics, but that was a skill, not an attribute iirc.

Yeah! you are right! I know when I said it I somewhat wrong, but I was just try to let it slide and not checking it out. The damage, nimbleness and speed is not depend on a specific attribute but it's depend on proficiency and perks.

That's one of my favorite NPCs in any game, ever!

I play Morrowind around 2003, I never in my life play a game like that before, for me at that time it was like living a life, I cannot comprehend what the AI can or cannot do, everything was so surprising and I really welcome for any possibility to come.

As awesome as my feeling is to the game, the game environment itself for me at that time is quite unforgiving, it's so hard to earn money, everything sells dirt cheap and the price is sky-rocketing expensive. Most important thing is almost everyone hate you, lol, it's such a hostile, cold yet amazing game for me, and behind all of these coldness, between all of those crap there you have Sugar-Lips Habasi in the Southwall tavern, I don't exactly remember what she did, but until now I remember her to be a kind like Jenny Curran when my Forest Gump character entering a school bus (edit: where she the only one who actually nice when all the npc just want you to screw and die somewhere), especially whenever I mess up with the authority she and her friend got me covered, my feeling is exagerated at that time because I really amaze with the game and I can't comprehend how intelligence the AI actually was. Playing mostly jrpg, everything are mostly scripted, but here the world somewhat reacting to you and dynamic.

I really, really want to get into Space Impossible but I just cannot figure out how to get the better assembler units to make bigger ships. I have a ton of items for crafting, but I only have the basic crafting recipes. Super frustrating. There is a sandbox mode where you can build whatever you want but I was actually enjoying the challenge of going out and mining and fighting for stuff.

Sampled some doom eternal today, at friend’s. It’s alright, I guess. Hellish soundtrack, lots of action and slashing and hacking and zooming around. Idk, I just felt there is nothing new for me there, I won’t be buying a copy for myself. Original and Doom II were like a shot of adrenalin at the time. Doom (2016) was a good return to the classic. It was dark, stylish, with an amazing soundtrack and more importantly it constantly nudged you to become a better marksman. It was a tasting of that 90’s gaming revolution, but with modern extras - graphics and sound. Doom Eternal looks visually the same, does the same as it’s predecessor, so yeah, a good pick if you love the genre. Don’t expect evolution.

I don't exactly remember what she did, but until now I remember her to be a kind like Jenny Curran when my Forest Gump character entering a school bus

She is the grandmaster of a thieves guild in Balmora iirc. :)

The one NPC still fresh in my memory was that slave girl you had to buy, the one sitting in a cage in Sadrith Mora.. Buy her dress, fragrance and take her to Ashlander’s khan, pretending she is a noble. And she is so happy and so enthusiastic about getting married. Better than sitting in a cage all day!

Last edited:
¡uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn sᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ

I really, really want to get into Space Impossible but I just cannot figure out how to get the better assembler units to make bigger ships. I have a ton of items for crafting, but I only have the basic crafting recipes. Super frustrating. There is a sandbox mode where you can build whatever you want but I was actually enjoying the challenge of going out and mining and fighting for stuff.

Space game sale at GoG.

Play bannerlod, man it's epic. They truly keep what is good in the warband and improve it, this is what I want in game sequel (not a total experimental overhaul, keep the stance good and strong while looking for expansion). The recruitment system, the weight system, and every detail that they put is just bring this game to that next level. For instance, now inventory is not just simply a collection of rectangle slot or whatever it is, so it is counted in weight. Every item like salt, grain, butter, it's counted as 10, while sword, armor and other things are varied like 1.6, 2, 0.8 etc. While the capacity that you can carry is determined from the amount of your troops, for instance 10 troops can carry 150 while 3 troop can only carry 45 (just an example). So if you are looking for that battle where the enemy outnumber you with the ratio 1:2, after winning those great battle with great causalities don't expect for a great plunder also, because the number of your troops that get wounded made you unable to carry those "great" plunder. This game reality makes you careful on choosing your battle and add another downside for a high causalities battle.

I haven't really read or watch any "lets play" yet, so I have little to none ideas about the game, I just discover the game myself, that way I really appreciate the game more than if I have a pre-knowledge of what the game offer before hand, the element of surprise is very satisfying. Something that really excited me is that, while venturing to the city, I met a thug who make a move on me, and I happily dance to his music, they are thug anyway. This result in the increase of relation to some of the local bandit gang-leader but on a contrary this action also result in a hit with the local gangleader that I have a trouble with, he has a unique middle name "Buttermilk". Increasing the relation with the local gangleader makes me able to access and hire some of his goons.

tldr: I'm so satisfied playing this game so far, so many new feature while still keeping (and enhancing) the good old one.

She is the grandmaster of a thieves guild in Balmora iirc. :)

The one NPC still fresh in my memory was that slave girl you had to buy, the one sitting in a cage in Sadrith Mora.. Buy her dress, fragrance and take her to Ashlander’s khan, pretending she is a noble. And she is so happy and so enthusiastic about getting married. Better than sitting in a cage all day!

I forget that one, this is the thing, Morrowind is so huge, it's makes everybody have a different story and emphasis regarding the game. Ald Rhun always special for me, and I never forget this poor Nord who got naked because get tricked by the Witch, lol.

Last edited:
Get Sins of a Solar Empire, Hobbs.
I was looking at GalCiv2 complete for ten bucks. Known great game and I might pay that to avoid Stardock's DRM laden digital distribution for installing on my new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom