[RD] War in Gaza: News Thread

Moderator Action: BACK TO NEWS PLEASE - lymond

Reports are coming in that Israel has evacuated numerous embassies around the world apparently in response to the Iranian threats of retaliation for the Israeli strike in Syria.

The murder of aid workers seemingly achieving its intended result, this organisation has been operating there since 1968.

GKLCLWZXcAAWC7w.jpeg

Israel advocates ask court to freeze Canadian funding for UNRWA, citing Hamas claims​

Canada suspended funding to the agency in January before restoring it again in March

Advocates for Israel are asking the Federal Court to reverse Ottawa's decision to continue funding the main United Nations agency supporting Palestinians.

The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs is joining Canadians whose relatives were killed in the Hamas attack last October in asking Ottawa to stop funding UNRWA.

A notice of application argues that allegations of UNRWA staff taking part in the October Hamas attack cause the agency to fall short of the standard set in Canada's law on foreign aid, which requires that aid be provided "in a manner that is consistent with Canadian values."

Canada suspended aid to UNRWA in January when the agency declared it was investigating whether some of its staff took part in the attack. Washington has said 12 staff members are being investigated.

The Liberals restored the funding in March, citing the dire humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip and the suspension of all staff under investigation.

CIJA says it's unreasonable to restore funding until that investigation concludes.

The application also cites Israel's argument that UNRWA has collaborated with Hamas in recent years, which the agency rejects, and it says Canadian funds are illegally benefiting a terrorist organization.

Lawrence Greenspon brought the application and says the government can fund humanitarian relief for Palestinians through other agencies.

"Turn the tap back on, but use a different water fountain," he said in an interview.

UNRWA, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East, is separate from the UN agency serving refugees worldwide, and has long faced criticism from Jewish groups and the Conservatives.

They point to social-media statements by the agency's staff that they argue don't uphold neutrality. Israel has accused hundreds of staff of being members of Hamas in documents that have not been shared publicly.

The Harper government cut off Canadian funding for UNRWA in 2010 amid allegations it was too closely tied to Hamas.

Advocates for UNRWA say it's the best agency for effectively distributing aid in Gaza, and it maintains the designation of refugee for Palestinians who were displaced by the founding of Israel and their descendants.

Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly praised UNRWA last November for providing the essentials of life in Gaza, noting it's "the only organization able to concretely do this."

The United Nations says the recent Gaza conflict has killed more than 175 of its aid workers — the largest number of aid workers killed in any conflict in UN history.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/advocates-take-canada-to-court-unrwa-funding-1.7164249

Anyone can make allegations about anyone. Without supporting evidence these allegations are at best worthless and at worst slanderous.

So on the face of it, in this particular context Israel is trying but dismally failing to meet moral obligations regarding civilians.

I have difficulty understanding the sense of the attacker giving evacuation warnings. It seems to me that as combat troops can move quicker
than women with children and the elderly, giving advance warning would assist Hamas fighters more than Gaza civilians, and prolong the conflict.

I am not sure how this could have played out in the minds of the leadership of Israel. I have to suppose they knew from the start that they'd go for killing tens of thousands, but somehow thought it wouldn't lead to foreign private individuals (such as reporters) documenting the callousness and planning of ethnic cleansing. I wonder if Israel actually does think it can bring the US into a massive regional war with Iran - but how would the US do that, moreover a few months from a general election?
For better or worse - and not for direct reason, typically as unintended consequence - there is a lot more interest and knowledge about Palestine than other places where this has been done recently. The general silence regarding the new armenian depopulation couldn't happen for Palestine too.

I viewed the video, and I found his determined incredulity quite tiresome.

Look at it from the perspective of the great majority of UK voters, most of whom are not internationalists
and they regard the deaths of UK people as much more relevant to them than the deaths of foreigners.

About 99% of the world is foreign and 99% of the people there are foreign.

The UK electorate largely take the view that if foreigners kill other foreigners in foreign countries;
well that is their nature, and their problem. The British empire is gone and the UK can not solve all that
and there is no point in worrying about unsolvable moral problems or trying to do the impossible.

(1) But there is a general election coming along in the UK and foreigners killing UK nationals
is a matter of concern to UK voters.

(2) More importantly there are two sets of UK voters who are very worked up about it: the Jews and the Islamics.
And there are far more islamic voters than Jewish voters so of course the politicos change direction accordingly.

But he is determined to miss these points.

Maybe, but it's a bit too drastic to just be about the pending elections re point 1 - as the Tory party is set to lose them already.
The british public could be against the deaths etc, but that didn't stop Blair from carrying on his war. This probably is more tied to the US changing tune (for its own reasons) and the UK government just automatically moving as an attached digit.

There is no doubt that the UK government has been following the US line,
its members and supporters often reluctantly swallowing their own moral qualms.

But on detecting a softening of the US position, they see no reason to continue
to hold that line which they think the US may abandon, and be politically exposed.

It is worth noting that the UK has followed the US in Iraq and Afghanistan and
found itself being subject to ECHR and ICC claims. Whereas the US government
never joined/ratified the ICC etc and was therefore able to simply ignore all that.

Last edited:
There are multiple elections coming up this year; local government, mayor
of London, general election, and likely conservative party leader.
For many conservatives quite how badly they lose is important.
In particular they want to be the political opposition to fight again in 2029
rather than risk losing that role to the Reform or Lib Democrat parties.

The UK electorate largely take the view that if foreigners kill other foreigners in foreign countries;
well that is their nature, and their problem. The British empire is gone and the UK can not solve all that
and there is no point in worrying about unsolvable moral problems or trying to do the impossible.
Then the UK electorate is a morally decrepit society that deserves all the misery and depression heaped its way.

No one is asking the UK to solve moral problems. The rest of the world has had enough of that. But in the deaths of +30k Palestinians the UK is complicit by virtue of its material and moral support of Israel. If the UK could do nothing about those Palestinians, then what can they about these Britons? And if the UK is doing something in response to the deaths of these Britons, then it sure as heck could've done something in response to the deaths of tens of thousands of those Palestinians

Can we please not pretend that Israel hasn't been, in effect, ethnically cleansing Palestinians for decades

And we all tolerated it because it was "slow" or "managed", but Israel has always been built upon this

Whenever it was raised the 'Jewish lobby ' would make a big noise about 'antisemitic holocaust' and eeveryone would shut up again. Frankly I got fed up of hearing their victim claims every time. Pretty sure they've done a good job of pissing off just about everyone now.

Last edited:
The UK electorate largely take the view
Source: trust me bro.

I would, personally, hesitate to assume that the majority of the electorate take my view on anything. At the same time, I don't think I could characterise what the majority of the electorate do believe r.e. the situation in Gaza specifically, except that it's likely to be different depending on the geopolitical situation in question. Shootings in the US may invoke a different response to Israeli killing civilians in Gaza, which again may invoke a different response to Hamas killing civilians in Israel.

Top Bottom