Indian Unit Line Workshop

Naval Infantry
  • Orang Laut is an ethnic group in Indonesia & Malaysia. Colonial powers used "orang-laut" to refer to pirates of the Eastern Indian Ocean, regardless of tribe. In actuality they were privateers, authorized by several local rulers to fight pirates - and later the naval forces of the "companies". no uniforms, & use locally produced or captured weapons.
  • Lascars are functionally identical to traditional marines. The pictures show them wearing slippers. This is for ashore or formal occasions only. Aboard they would be barefoot for better traction on wet decks.

Spoiler :

Sappers
Some of the oldest units in the Indian Army trace their roots back to sapper battalions. The picture of the Company artificers is to show how the uniforms are adapted. In addition to being a weapon the sapper's ranseur probably fulfilled the same function as the long pole carried by the artificer. Since the sappers were combat engineers it would be great to have animations of them fortifying, clearing jungle, laying roads, etc. Maybe put them in one of the grenadier slots. Some kind of explosive attack would be okay. They did invent bangalore torpedos after all.

Spoiler :

Grenadiers & Guards

As you can see from the Bombay Grenadiers the headgear is not a true bearskin hat. Putting that together with the Grenadier Jawans image it looks like a combination of the flattened conical cap of other infantry units with something like the typical sikh headgear. "Jawan" means "infantryman" & would be a suitable part of the name of any infantry unit - Jawan Guards , Bombay Jawans, etc.
Spoiler :

Infantry units I'm working on next: Sikhs, Gurkhas, Company mercenaries, NW Frontier irregulars, Militia, Rani.

Nearly perfect. To my eye they only need three minor adjustments:
  • The loincloth that's standing in for the crotch of the dhoti should be shorter by about 1/3.
  • The arm & wrist bands look out of place & are not needed - there's enough other civ color.
  • The necklace & animal skin should be replaced by a yajñopavītam (sacred thread) that loops from the left shoulder to under the right arm near the hip. This is the distinctive mark of the kshatriya & brahmin castes (the ones who would be miltary). For game purposes a thin strap is okay. It doesn't need to flop around - moving with the body is okay. It can be any light color that looks good.

Yajñopavītam (Sacred Thread)
thumbnail

It's hard for me to jump back & forth between eras. There is a lot of research to remember & a lot of images to sift through to find the needed details. Hopefully I can keep up with you. Do you want me to continue to post the 18th-19th c. unit recommendations or do I need to concentrate on the weapons & clothing for some other era? In any case I will not be able to tackle any really new ground until Friday - tomorrow is an important holiday with an all day family gathering.

A couple more quick thoughts on the Vedic Era archer. There should be a version with a long bow - full body length (see image below). I believe Takhisis has made such a bow as an obj. You can easily make the next era with the same figure - add bronze bracers & cuirass (already available for the paperdoll afaik). Helmet just optional.

Also, I would dearly love a special unit made from the Vedic archer. Same clothing & props (+ long bow). The only difference would be to give him pale blue skin. You don't need the fancy dress or helmet - the illo is just to show desired skin tone. :please:

A couple more quick thoughts on the Vedic Era archer. There should be a version with a long bow - full body length (see image below). I believe Takhisis has made such a bow as an obj. You can easily make the next era with the same figure - add bronze bracers & cuirass (already available for the paperdoll afaik). Helmet just optional.

Also, I would dearly love a special unit made from the Vedic archer. Same clothing & props (+ long bow). The only difference would be to give him pale blue skin. You don't need the fancy dress or helmet - the illo is just to show desired skin tone. :please:

Actually I haven't exported it as an .obj, but couldn't take more than a few minutes to find the model, export and email… if you want one, sure, ask for one. :)

If you would like to spend some additional time on making 16-17 additional FLCs, no problem. :D
Bah, just a few more won't make such a big difference.
But you French consider working more than 35 hours a week inhuman…
I humbly suggest that the Steph and Sandris partnership be formalized as Steph and Sandris Incorporated, or Steph & Sandris Inc. for short.
Are trying a scam to do a takeover by buying stock through nominees?

Top Bottom