Resource icon

[LH] Ishtar 2016-10-05

Ishtar Babylonian Goddess of love, fertility, and war.

Spoiler :

Ishtar was the ancient Sumero-Babylonian goddess of love and fertility. She is often described as the daughter of Anu, the god of the air. In most of the myths concerning her, she is described as an evil, heartless, women who destroyed her mates and lovers. Her greatest lover was the farm god Tammuz, who is similar to the Greek Adonis. After he died she went into the underworld to retrieve him but her efforts were vain and she returned to the living world alone.

Ishtar also has a prominent role in the Epic of Gilgamesh. Ishtar encounters Gilgamesh and asks him to be her husband. Gilgamesh rejects Ishtar’s offer, citing her mistreatment of her former lovers and wondering why he would be any different. In fury, Ishtar asks her father Anu, God of Heaven, to unleash the Bull of Heaven so that it could attack Gilgamesh and avenge her. Anu hesitates, but when Ishtar threatens to raise all the dead from the underworld, he gives in. The Bull is set loose, and after a ferocious battle, Gilgamesh and Enkidu manage to slay it. After the battle when Gilgamesh and Enkidu are resting, Ishtar stands upon the walls of the city (which is Uruk) and curses Gilgamesh. Enkidu tears off the Bull's right thigh and throws it in Ishtar's face, saying, "If I could lay my hands on you, it is this I should do to you, and lash your entrails to your side." Then Ishtar called together "her people, the dancing and singing girls, the prostitutes of the temple, the courtesans," and had them mourn for the Bull of Heaven.

Thanks to pencilgod, cfkane and nitram15

Code:
		<LeaderheadArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_LEADER_ISHTAR</Type>
			<Button>Art/Leaderheads/ishtar/ishtar.dds</Button>
			<NIF>Art/Leaderheads/ishtar/ishtar.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Leaderheads/ishtar/isabella.kfm</KFM>
			<NoShaderNIF>Art/Leaderheads/ishtar/ishtar.nif</NoShaderNIF>
			<BackgroundKFM>art/LeaderHeads/ishtar/Nefertiti_BG.kfm</BackgroundKFM>
		</LeaderheadArtInfo>
  • ishtar_J2F.jpg
    ishtar_J2F.jpg