The Long Delayed PBEM

Where do you see paranoia? If you're talking about me, it is a case of being annoyed, not paranoid.

If my starting position was worth a damn, I would have already eliminated my Warrior spewing neighbor. You might want to learn a bit more about the situation before passing judgement.

This "neighbor" hasn't even taken his Warrior out of Fortify. It is still next to my city. He's just an annoying twit. And he feels this is good civ-playing. Apparently, so do you.

gps to Scratcher.

Cyc,

With respect,....you do nothing but moan. Your starting position is much better then your neighbours but you state the contrary. You settle and complain instantly that my warrior is in your territory, when I hadn't even had a chance to take a turn. A similar issue happeded ealier in the game when you had a territory expansion. This does nothing but give a false impression to other players about my actions.

I have fortified my warrior in protest. If you apologise for your earlier post and for calling me an "annoying twit" then I will move my warrior. Or you can declare war and remove him yourself.

Scratcher

Well, Scratcher, then I apologize for calling you an annoying twit. But I have not a clue what your territory looks like because I have not trampled all over it as you have mine. And this false impression I'm giving of you didn't include the fact that you knew I had a Settler there and were trying to block my placement of it with two of your Warriors. Luckily for me, you thought I was going to a different tile. So I was able to place it where I wanted, and you refused to move one of your blocking Warriors. Lucky for me, the 2nd Warrior of yours sits just outside of my border. There, now the whole truth is out. Call it whining if you want, but you've been pulling this all game.

Cyc,

To state the facts, and get the "whole truth out there" .....you had a settler in the area, I had a settler in the area. You had units parked on tiles, I had units parked on tiles. You state my units are blocking...and yours are what?....sunbathing?

A fact that you have yet to admit is that you settle and moan....what am I supposed to do. Anticipate the tile that you will settle?

Your statements like "....But I have not a clue what your territory looks like because I have not trampled all over it as you have mine." and "..Call it whining if you want, but you've been pulling this all game." are nothing more that your piss poor attempts to influence other players that you are being treated unfairly.

This game has rules which are well understood by the players. I have not done anything outside of the rules. You may not like what I have done but it has never disadvantaged you in any way.

I didn't consider your post a worthy apology and have not moved the warrior..in protest.

It will be moved next turn, however you reply.

GPS Bowsling....

Scratcher

And now you're lying to make matters worse.

Lanzelot, find a replacement for me. I'm outta here.

Are you serious? So far I thought this was all a "quarrel in jest", like we have in so many other games. (Guess my ear is not really fine-tuned enough to distinguish a sarcastic "show" from a serious argument. I have not taken half of what either side said here seriously, but I guess it was. :dunno:)

If it helps, I as the game host will make the following decision:
  • We will basically adopt a rule like in the ISDG: a unit may not enter another nations territory, unless prior to entering that territory war is declared or the other nation gives its consent to let the unit in. If a unit ends up in foreign territory by settling or culture expansion, that unit must leave the territory on a path indicated by the owner of the territory (in case he wants to send workers on a certain tile etc)
  • With regard to "blocking" tiles: this probably is very hard to detect and difficult to find a rule against. Therefore I think I better refrain from giving such a rule. In "no man's land" everybody's units should be free to go whereever they want. If that means that someone else's units (settlers, etc) can't go on a certain tile, well, he better had sent his own units there in time... (or gain that square by negotiation / offering equivalent compensation / culture expansion, so that the offending unit must move, etc.)

I hope that'll allow both of you to settle your argument without going for each other's throat... :D And I do hope you'll stay, Cyc! At least give it a second thought.

Lanzelot

For the record, I certainly "quarrel in jest"...it is after all only a game. I can get real quarrels from Mrs Scratcher, I don't need them here as well!! If I took this game seriously I would have requested a restart, my starting position was truely crap. I really enjoy playing PBEM and try to interact with players. I play for the fun of participating, and not to win. But saying that, I do play to the best of my ability and I really do not consider my actions in this game to be outside of the rules.

I did not like the post which inferred that I had entered Cyc's territory as an intentional act, which it wasn't as he formed a city. I responded as such. I did not move my unit because I was trying to goad Cyc to declare war, which he hasn't. I have therefore promised to move my units next turn. I have also walked a settler through his territory. This is no differnet to a single player game where the AI will move units through other players territory, the player can block, request they are removed or declare war.

I have not blocked Cyc's units. When it was no-mans land I was entitled to keep my units on any tiles available. admittedly this made Cyc's settler have to walk more tiles than he would have liked and even made him settle in not the optimal position, but thats part of the tactics of the game. For the record Cyc has placed a unit on a strtegic tile in a similar manner.

@ Cyc,
I certainly have not lied as you claim. When you state things in your posts, I reply. Please don't take them personally (if indeed you have at all). I hope you continue to play. If you wish to discuss this further with me then please PM or email me.

As stated in my last post, my units will be moved from your territory next move.

Scratcher

GPS to Calis.

I think the moral of the story is: fights in jest do not work online. The playful tone just doesn't carry over. I am guilty of that too, I think my teasing may have been taken the wrong way. Yes, you are right, I am definitely not informed enough to make a judgment, I was just poking a bit of fun about your posts complaining about enemy units in your territory.

All of my posts were role-play also. Only a King in some virtual Kingdom would feign outrage at a unit in his territory. I love this form of role-play, that's why I have the post count I do. You think that was all "I agree"?

But role play has to have the sense of truth to it to be good. If you post that you put your unit in a truck and drove it away, it just wouldn't make any sense, because you are using technology far above your tech tree level. It's too far from the truth. Therefore you have to be factual with your role-play.

When I complained about Scratcher being in my territory, IT WAS BECAUSE HE WAS IN MY TERRITORY. It was a very factual event/statement. I did nothing wrong but roleplay the situation apparently, as Scratcher's response was put up or shut up.

Now Scratcher stands to benefit from keeping his units in my territory, as he is a Republic, and if I declare war, he not only gets the War happiness from that, but he is relieved of the war wearniness he nation would suffer if HE declared war. An obvious statement, I know. But it points out what a chicken way of playing the game this really is. But that's not why I'm leaving.

I did role-play right up to the end, then Bowsling accused me of being paranoid. Bowsling, from experience, I can tell you that people who claim other people are paranoid... usually are very paranoid people to begin with. So keep that in mind. And if Scratcher was role-playing, he disguised it very well. But at the end it got done to the truth and facts, as I just got tired of dealing with the almost childish way Scratcher has been bothering me all game. And then he actually lied in his post. I realize you need to defend yourself, Scratcher, but you can only stretch the truth so far, even if it is role-play.

I don't really give a hoot about the war happiness or weariness. His units in my territory are just a nuisance, like a child that will not stop bothering you. I dealt with it and I can deal with it in the future. But not here. Had Scratcher handled himself differently this all could have been water under the bridge. Hasta la vista, baby.

I was just having fun - but made the same word choice as I would in real life, and without the tone of voice. Admittedly, I wouldn't be too happy if Calis sent his warriors trampling across my land - and I might protest, in which case I would be fair game for a little fun.

Please - this is an excellent game. Far better than the other three I have been involved in (although the intricate diplomacy of WPNE could give it a run for it's money). Every player that stops playing a game dimities it's quality. So please, bear with us :please:.

:cool:

Cyc, I am absolutely sure that your original statement that I was in your territory was posted in role play. So was my "outrage" at the accusation, my jibes, my "offence" at being called an "annoying twit", and my "put up or shut up" response. In my post above I have admitted that I kept my units in your territory, and coupled with my posts, to get under your skin and goad you into a declaration of war. I would benifit from the WH. But you haven't and I have stated that I will remove them next turn.

I'm sorry if you feel that my actions are "like a child that will not stop bothering you" but surely thats what PBEM is all about, playing with human players who will react differently to the programmed way in which the AI do. You may not like what I am doing but it is accepted tactics in the game, either PBEM or the regular game. Certainly, not a chicken way to play the game.

If you really wish to drop out then I can only accept your decision, you can not be forced to play. My attempt to get you to declare war failed, you didn't declare war, and I have clearly stated that my units will move next turn.

Again, I hope you do continue to play as I would like to club you to death with my warriors. :)

Scratcher

To the Community ~

This game is looking for a replacement player for me. It would be a decent transition for you as I am in second place with resources and a coastal city. I'm playing the Persians and have posted the score below...

Attachments

• TLDO 1625BC.gif
    TLDO 1625BC.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 166
I'm proud to announce that Eclipse4449 has agreed to step in as the new ruler of the Persian empire! Let's give him a warm welcome, and thanks a lot, Eclipse! :goodjob:

Cyc, can you send him your password, please?

Lanzelot

Sure, no problem. I'll email it to him. Congrats on getting a replacement quickly.

GPS to Scratcher

Nice job! Cyc Are you Sure?:thumbsup:

Gaze upon Persian Paradise

Xerxes honors the first worker with the Prestige task of falling the forest to make true the scaffolding to help build
Sidon's Temple

The Chief's Warriors look at the construction but can't quite figure it out having never seen anything like it. HaShem the Spear of Sidon shouts from the city "Peace Warriors tell your chief what you have seen, Join the others, a road to iron has begun. these things might interest your people.

Sun Beams from the Mountains, sweet like gems, The teeth of Persia will find this Paradise a favorite Destination. :band: :twitch:The Jouney begins :deal:

Nice job! Cyc Are you Sure?:thumbsup:
Most definitely. Live long and prosper...

Sun Beams from the Mountains, sweet like gems, The teeth of Persia will find this Paradise favorite Destination. :band: :twitch:The Jouney begins :deal:
Couldn't have said it better myself. And that link is good sh1t. Now I need new headphones, I have to fix my desk where I was pounding my head, and I have finally touched God.... at least I think that was God. Thank you.

Top Bottom